Customize

The Gi-fraking-normous Woll Smoth media MEGATHREAD

Discussion in 'Celebrity News' started by monamia, Jun 29, 2008.

1. monamia Member

The Gi-fraking-normous Woll Smoth media MEGATHREAD

Scientology is focus of flap over Will Smith's new school - Los Angeles Times

not good publicity, not good at all, Sunday LA Times

article starts:

Scientology is focus of flap over Will Smith's new school

Some teachers at New Village Academy in Calabasas are church members, and instructional methods developed by the religion's founder will be used. But an official says the religion will not be taught.

By Carla Rivera, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
    June 29, 2008
    In Los Angeles' rarefied world of private schools, where tuitions are high, academics are tough and educational philosophy is taken seriously, the newest member of the tribe is getting the kind of breathless attention reserved for a music or film star.

That may be because the founders of New Village Academy are themselves such stars: Will Smith and his wife Jada Pinkett Smith. Entertainers have long flocked to private schools on the Westside and in the San Fernando Valley, where campuses are comparatively small, offer a discreet environment and are close to studios.

The Smiths, however, will be among the few celebrities -- Oprah Winfrey, Andre Agassi and Tiger Woods among them -- to establish their own school or program.

It is one of several initiatives by the couple, including a new foundation that will give grants to young people in the arts and education. About 80% of New Village students will receive financial assistance in the fall.

But the school's Sept. 3 opening, on the leased campus of a former school in Calabasas, will be accompanied by a whiff of controversy. Some of its teachers are members of the Church of Scientology, and it will use teaching methods developed by Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard.

That has provoked a slew of headlines: On FOXNews.com, "Will Smith Funds Private Scientology School"; from Britain's The Guardian, "Will Smith funds school teaching Scientology creator's study method"; and on the religion blog of the Dallas Morning News, "Is Will Smith school a front for Scientology?"

Both Smiths have said they are not Scientologists.

(continue at link)
  2. Hieronymous Member

Re: LA Times on Smith's Scientology School: Just Up

damnit Will Smith's agent, where are you on this? don't you care about his career?
  3. MarcabEmpress Member

Nice work, Anonymous. We deliver containers full of win and newsprint.
  4. Legion Member

From article: The school's executive director is Jana Babatunde-Bey, who worked as general manager of Smith's Overbrook Entertainment and is currently director of philanthropy and vice president of the Smith Holdings Group, according to the school's website.

I forget that site with scilon completions, halp lol.
  5. monamia Member

Most parents in that hood
    Got Google

Damn it Will, it's not going away!!

click here: California, Southern California & Los Angeles News - LATimes
    then read down to find story; click above

move it up *most viewed list* so when smith goes to see his pix on homepage of Los Angeles Times - News from Los Angeles, California and the World he gets smack dabbed hit by negative article.
  6. Hieronymous Member

don't forget harpoons to the writer of the article. while it's technically on our side, I'm sure she's gonna plenty of "RAAAAHH WHY WON'T YOU LEAVE WILL SMITH ALONE YOU BIGOTT RAAAAAH"
  7. shadowchaser Member

from the school's webpage

is that not a "clay demo"?
  8. Pacifist Member

Fuck. Will is making it seriously hard to enjoy old episodes of The Fresh Prince now. Just another reminder of why I'm in this:

HelenLovejoy.jpg
    Won't somebody please think of the children!
  9. Anonhopeful Member

Good article, with this much exposure before its even started the media attention for if it actually does go ahead will be great
  10. GrogStat Member

Remember folks, Will's new school has an "Ethics teacher" instead of an "Ethics Officer".

What are your Overts & Withholds little girl? What are your Overts & Withholds?
  11. xfool4now Member

write to the reporter telling her of your support and letting her know about expecting attacks.

Of course she knows but... being on her side makes us more friendly!!

En-TURD-ulate!!
  12. L.R. Hanon Member

Now I am not a US citizen, but.

CAPSO
    15500 Erwin Street #303
    Van Nuys, CA 91411

Office phone/fax: 818 781-4680
    Email: info@capso.org

I reckon a mail going 'that' way could help out on 'their' knowledge.
  13. Anonomouse Member

^^^ F'ing This. We need a SoCal Anon to sent them some information on Applied Scholastics and the Delphi Schools. There's also that youtube vid on Scientology's take on education. We need to give these people the ammo they need.
  14. L.R. Hanon Member

While doing some reading at Ex Scientology Kids :: Index I found these here.
    Not sure if it is of any help, but still worth reading anyway. IMHO, that is.

Ex Scientology Kids :: View topic - Delphi Education: Good or Crappy?

Ex Scientology Kids :: View topic - List of allowed material

Ex Scientology Kids :: View topic - To all Apple School Kids, Teachers, Parents: I'm Sorry

Not sure about the video mentioned above, but ok.

YouTube - Scientology believes education is a bad thing!

$ci should never mess around with kids! Even those who claim they are not related to it.
  15. Vir Member

Skip to 2:15 to listen to "Scientology Hitler" talk about what he thinks about non-Scientology education:

YouTube - Church of Scientology ON TRIAL
    14e5n2u.jpg
  16. Re: LA Times on Smith's Scientology School: Just Up

^^^ THIS Telling courtroom video is telling.

From the OP's media quotes, it sounds like the world is waking up, thanks to Anonymous.
  17. AnonUhnon Member

The school opens on Sept 3rd. Will Anonymous be there?
  18. eksef Member

Sept 3 protest in front of the school would be GREAT news. Headline like "New scientology-related school opens to protests". It would force TC or WS to acknowledge the protest and say what they feel about it.
  19. Anon_1HG Member

This site really analyses the dangers of the study tech:

Scientology v. Education - The Scam of "Study Technology"

3 principles of study tech are (1) use pictures and diagrams to illustrate the concepts being taught, (2) break down complex concepts so they can be mastered in a series of simple steps, and (3) always seek definitions for unfamiliar terms.

These rules make sense and are harmless enough when phrased in plain English. But the Study Tech books present them in a different manner. The three principles are called "mass", "gradients", and "misunderstoods": terms that were invented or redefined by Hubbard and loaded with significance in the Scientology religion.

For Hubbard's followers, it is an article of faith that whatever Ron says must be correct, even if its correctness is not evident to anyone else. The effectiveness of what Scientologists call "the tech", of which Study Tech is a part, is a matter of religious doctrine. It HAS to work.

tl;dr: each rule has a covert purpose and it taken to the extreme. If you question anything you'll be made to go back and find your misunderstood word for example. Soon you'll stop questioning.
  20. Plups Member

The whole "Ethics Teacher" bit troubles me. Sounds too much like kids will be doing Knowledge Reports on each other.

It certainly "behooves" Will and Jada to come clean.

PS. Way to go, Dr Dave T.
  21. Snake Member

I think protesting would be possibly bad. I never like to do it in front of kids because they don't understand nor do they have a say in why they are going there. However, promoting around Calabasas would be a good idea. Leave fliers and pamphlets asking:

"Educational experts say Study Tech doesn't work. Why is New Village Academy using it then?"

"Ask why New Village Academy is hiding its Scientology roots"

"New Village Academy has a Scientology Ethic's teacher. Google Scientology Ethics"

If what the article said was true, and schools like these fail more often than succeed, a little media attention and spreading the word to a few local spots, would probably be enough to put a permanent dent in their reputation.
  22. Vir Member

I don't like the idea of protesting at a school. I'd let them have their opening without a fuss and without sign of Anonymous, but spreading leaflets over the entire area in the weeks before.
  23. Asian-anon Member

^This

The public is not ready for a protest in front of a school yet. Largely because the detrimental effect of the $cilon's Study Tech has not been made readily apparent to them. Flyering around the school to spread information is a much better first step. It raises the issue. This sets Anon up for potential protests in front of the school, and perhaps we may even be joined by concerned parents. That would be a major win.
  24. Qball Member

Or maybe Play-doh tech?

It'll provoke coverage, moreso because it's Smith's school. And then the more diligent reporters will dig into why there's such a backlash over Applied Scholastics, and hopefully snowballs. Maybe they talk to some ex-scientologists about their education, maybe kids and in slave labor get brought up...

Scifags recruit celebs to enhance their 'cool and trendy' image, but conversely, the headlines are that much bigger when a famous face is even remotely linked. A little blurb about an unconventional school on page 30 becomes "Actor Will Smith's New School Surrounded By Controversy", a half-page piece on page 5.

I'd advise the obvious that those that do protest there go heavy on the clean humor and Ghandi tech, and light on anything remotely aggressive. Baiting and ridiculing adult Scilons is one thing, but intimidating kids trying to go to school (or being perceived as doing that) won't help us. I can already see the Scilons and the more sensationalist media pulling out file footage of the National Guard being brought in to enforce school desegregation.
  25. Kilia Member

Yes..
  26. Snake Member

Someone just pointed out to me though. We aren't like PETA. I know most of the active Anons in this area and trust them enough to not be obnoxious during a raid. As well as we don't have to stand in front of the kids. Plus the possibility of MASSIVE publicity is there as well. The media won't see it as "Activist protest outside school and harass children." They will promote it as "Why is Will Smith promoting Scientology to our children."

They love, especially now a days, to beat a story into the ground about a major celebrity who has a lil controversy. I can see the possibility of that happening.

As long as we do what we usually do, which is stay cool, collected, and have fun without too much noise, and of course, BE INFORMATIVE, I don't think protesting outside of a school will be that big of an issue. The issue is the educational and ethic basis of the school being called into question.

Our message is, we do not believe Study Tech and Scientology methods should be applied to a school, for the fact that it could damage and manipulate the children and parents. We believe that the staff has alternative motives, beyond proper education, based on a number of past Scientologists' history of manipulating a situation to become a recruiting tool for the cult. Especially as it is being promoted as a school founded by a very famous actor, and they are trying to hide their Scientology connections. We would simply like to let the public know that Scientology is in this school's core and that they should look up Study Tech, Ethics, L Ron Hubbard, Applied Scholastics, and Scientology on their own and come to a conclusion from that.
  27. alpanon Member

Remember ya'll: This school is a PRIVATE school, meaning that those kids were placed there by their parents. If your protest can convince some parents to revoke their kids' enrollment in the school, then that is a kid that can be saved from the COS' grip!

Anon's protest at Harpo Studios was the first time that the Oprah was EVER protested! This group is already making 'firsts' in activism history. Don't be afraid to do it again :)

Like others said, make sure people in town know why you are out there (Study Tech = $ci indoctrination) before the protest...
  28. exOT8Michael Member

Woll Smoth, I don't think this will end well for Scientology or you. The liability of pushing a cult onto kids ("study tech" is the on-ramp into the cult) may come back to bite you in the butt.
  29. Qball Member

Emphasis added. Some might. There's always a bit of a 'gore junkie' mentality amongst some members of the press who want to see something ugly go down. Doesn't matter if it was Anons firebombing an Org or OSA thugs beating down some kid in a EFG mask, it makes a good story. "If it bleeds, it leads (the headlines)" has long been an unspoken media industry maxim. Protesters at a school? I assure you, editors are getting a stiffy over the possibilities.

I'd say go silent, extremely passive protest. Sit down with hand-held signs (not stick-mounted picket posters), not even in the way of the entrance, but nearby, across the street. Don't be seen to be blocking access.

Even better, get Anons to bring stools and just sit there quietly with dunce caps on.

Think you meant 'ulterior'...
  30. brinymous Member

but be very very careful with the "kid situation".

We really do not want to invoke images of Brown v. Board of Education (where a crowd of racist townspeople, during the civil rights movement era, surrounded a school entrance and even tried to stop black students from entering)
  31. ZeLyt Member

I agree, this should be an EXTREMELY passive(and informative) protest. You want to piss some people off: make it seem as if you are going after their kids. Even if we aren't, some parents may very well see it that way.
  32. Anonomouse Member

How about forgetting a formal protest and turn it into a giant leafleting event on opening day just to inform the parents? Sure, press might not be interested if it isn't a protest, protest, but it'll still be a group of people out there on opening day of the school that could draw interest, especially with Will's name involved in the place. The point is to inform the parents of what they're stepping into by letting their kids go there.
  33. Re: LA Times on Smith's Scientology School: Just Up

Disregard
  34. Re: LA Times on Smith's Scientology School: Just Up

I don't agree at all with protesting at a school. The kids won't understand it, the parents will be outraged. What I do like is the proposal to flier the parents. The kids shouldn't be involved at all. Even in the sense of the kids getting fliers and giving them to their parents. People are touchy about their kids, but want to be educated. Angry parents are any company/corporation/human's worst nightmare....
  35. Re: LA Times on Smith's Scientology School: Just Up

Can someone give me more info on this? Either on thread if it's on topic and info that others can use, or in PM otherwise?
  36. monamia Member

It is a delicate sitution, but I think an afterschool protest, silent, adjacent (not in their faces) with signs and flyers would be OK. I occasionally substitute, and there are often MANIACS near the schools with hideous posters of aborted fetuses handing out Bibles.

Ideally, actions can be planned PRIOR to the school's opening to cut down on enrollment. I'm inclined to think that they will have a RECRUITED enrollment of those that may already be inclined toward the Scien way of life. They will need to "salt" the enrollment with friendlies.

PLUS demos AFTER school, or as school readies to end for the day, will help with gathering up Anons, and be better for possible media coverage.

We need to find out when enrollment is. We need someone in the area to connect with them to get enrollment info. They may have a potential enrollees, "parent" night to tell about the school or tour the facilities. This is what we need to know. Anyone who lives within 5 or so miles of the school is encouraged to pose as a potential parent.

We need to expose the website changes to the area and to the media, esp the LA Times. And we need to find out how enrollment is going. Are they already "full"? My guess is that theyve got enrollment pretty much handled. We need to focus raising awareness about the cults core beliefs on education, and that they do NOT encourage college, post-high school career training..nevermind high school.
  37. pirateboots Member

I read this article in the paper and logged on as soon as I could grab my laptop. Good work, Anons!

As for protesting in front of a school...I think that might actually work against us in the long run. However, I think that plastering the surrounding area with fliers in the weeks before it opens could be a great way to get our point across without necessarily casting ourselves in a bad light.
  38. Anonygrace Member

Protesting an elementary school is not good news. Puts me in mind of Northern Ireland -- I know some of those kids, and they remember it as one of the scariest instances of their lives. They were too little to really know what the hell was going on, but they knew their parents were scared and angry (obviously, the protesters in that case were the opposite of passive).

Is there a way to find out where the scholarships are being touted? Maybe sending local school districts information packets, so they don't push the programme to their current students. Papering the town the school's based in's a good idea too. It's tough because it's financial assistance, and some parents are bound to think that even with the Sci influence, it's worth it.

If there is to be any sort of Anon presence, it would have to be insanely low-key. No masks (which will immediately be hyped as child-scaring), no shouting, no aggressive wording. Practically a sit-in at the main gates with a few signs and lots of flyers.

I really can't emphasis enough how badly protesting a school with 80% financial assistance for students could go for Anon. All it takes is one frightened child, one child who is getting her first chance at any form of decent education, one "scary" protester who says the wrong thing or holds the wrong sign... "Children terrified on first day of school by masked mob" is a better lead than "Anonymous protesters present at Will Smith school opening".
  39. monamia Member

Kids see protests at their schools in Cali.
    Teacher's strikes, anti-abortion.
    Peaceful.

Anon would set a tone as being the MOST passive, and
    Not on school property.
    In LA kids have seen it over the years also against school busing, teacher strikes, demos against teachers, etc.
    Cannot be compared to No Ireland.

I agree that it could be dicey. But has not been in the past.
    I think the demo should be AFTER school, or coordindated with a recruiting/parent tour event; not necessarily when kids are present...and at ends of the blocks where the school is located. I've got a plane trip out of the area tomorrow, or I would go and shoot some pix of the facility and signage.

We may NEED to demo around the school if we can't get accurate info about recruitment, start dates, public tours. Someone needs to cruise that place to look for invitations to tour for the potential parents/neighbors.

We may even need to use PHONE BOOTHS to request info. Old skool? eh?
    NO ONE HERE wants to harm kids, or anybody else for that matter.
    I'm not trying to minimize the experience in No Ireland--i KNOW it was and continues to be traumatic and I'm sorry for all the violence and pain.

We may think of much better ideas, but counting OUT a school-area demo would be a mistake; we need more info about how they are recruiting and enrolling. We need a brave person to pose as parent. I'd do it, but I'm too far away--other end of the county.
  40. Dubber Member

Not just pictures and diagrams, but "mass" in the form of clay models.

This sounds all well and good until you figure out that no other teaching techniques are used. Students have to teach themselves mathematics, for example, by reading a math book with a dictionary at hand and mocking up math concepts in clay.

If a student yawns in class, this is proof positive that the student has misunderstood a word (because Hubbard said it is) and the student gets no rest until the M/U is identified and cleared with a dictionary and claydemo. So in practice students learn to fear any outward sign of boredom.

God help a student if he or she ever jokes about or degrades L. Ron Hubbard.