Customize

The Church of Scientology admits that it does not perform gay weddings

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by COS and NOI News, May 3, 2021 at 12:07 PM.

1. I would like to add some observations.

The Church of Scientology obviously says that it is a church.

The Church of Scientology says that Scientology is a religion.

A traditional function of churches and religions is to perform weddings and to provide religious recognition to the resulting marriages.

The Church of Scientology says that sexual orientation is not a criteria for membership in the Church, and indicates that they do not discriminate against gay people.

The Church of Scientology says that it cannot perform gay weddings because "there is no service in the Church available for such a wedding."

Seriously? The Church of Scientology cannot create a new "service" for gay weddings, or adapt an existing "service?"

Because Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard did not create a gay wedding service, the Church of Scientology is forever foreclosed from doing so?

If the above is true, how can gay people trust that Scientology has in fact moved on from what L. Ron Hubbard wrote and taught about them?

How can the Church of Scientology say that it does not discriminate against gay people when it performs weddings for heterosexual couples, providing religious recognition to such marriages, but refuses to perform weddings for gay couples, thus denying such marriages religious recognition?

Have you ever heard of a church or religion say we don't discriminate against gay people, they just have to get married in a civil ceremony?

Have you ever imagined a church that would want any of their parishioners who are in compliance with church doctrine to get married in a civil ceremony, instead of getting married in the church?

I find the response by the Church of Scientology to be truly bizarre. The Church of Scientology welcomes gay members, but doesn't have a wedding ceremony for them and refuses to create one? What?

/
    • Like Like x 1
  2. To make the point in very real terms.

The Church of Scientology would have refused to perform the wedding ceremony referenced below even if Katy and Jenny were both Scientologists in good standing. While the Church of Scientology would have happily married a heterosexual couple, the Church of Scientology would have told Katy and Jenny to get married in a civil ceremony.

Because that is how you affirm, support and welcome a newly married couple in your religious community. /sarcasm

Paul Haggis congratulates his daughter, Katy Haggis, and Jenny James on their wedding.

https://instagr.am/p/COggg1pDH2dYkfY5pFOJH1M_V0nHSloJ2kFP7I0/

Screenshot_20210505-182614_1620264731674.png

Screenshot_20210505-182626_1620264760364.png

Further Relevance to Scientology

The New Yorker: The Apostate. Paul Haggis vs. the Church of Scientology

February 6, 2011
    By Lawrence Wright

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2011/02/14/the-apostate-lawrence-wright

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

On August 19, 2009, Tommy Davis, the chief spokesperson for the Church of Scientology International, received a letter from the film director and screenwriter Paul Haggis. “For ten months now I have been writing to ask you to make a public statement denouncing the actions of the Church of Scientology of San Diego,” Haggis wrote. Before the 2008 elections, a staff member at Scientology’s San Diego church had signed its name to an online petition supporting Proposition 8, which asserted that the State of California should sanction marriage only “between a man and a woman.” The proposition passed. As Haggis saw it, the San Diego church’s “public sponsorship of Proposition 8, which succeeded in taking away the civil rights of gay and lesbian citizens of California—rights that were granted them by the Supreme Court of our state—is a stain on the integrity of our organization and a stain on us personally. Our public association with that hate-filled legislation shames us.” Haggis wrote, “Silence is consent, Tommy. I refuse to consent.” He concluded, “I hereby resign my membership in the Church of Scientology.”

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

/