Customize

The Big Tom Cruise & Katie Holmes News Thread - Part the Second

Discussion in 'Tom and Katie' started by TinyDancer, Mar 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Herro Member

Re: The Big Tom Cruise & Katie Holmes News Thread - Part the Second

No. None of those are good questions for the reasons I stated above. It is not well established that white noise can cause developmental delays. And to suggest that the kid probably is brain damaged because of white noise is a classic example of going after a zebra. Occam's razor, keep it simple.

It just seems like this is another example of wanting so badly to have something to harm the CoS that you throw reason and critical thinking out the window. And even if the kid is developmentally delayed, how would you go about proving that it was because of white noise and not any of a vast other number of factors that can cause such delays?

Also, "Error, Herror, Horror"? Generally speaking, puns don't really equate to well reasoned responses. Just saying.
  2. auchraw Member

My puns aren't meant to be reasoned responses, horrible perhaps, erroneous, even heroic but above all annoying.

So when is a question a good question? When you ask it? I think my questions are very good questions, rational and objective, and you haven't answered one of them. Nobody said 'probably brain damaged'. Except you. Nobody said she was 'delayed'? You mean 'retarded', I suppose. Poor choice of word. But no-one used it except you. You're the most creative thing to hit this thread for months.
  3. Consensus Member

The delayed/retarded difference depends on whether there's a specific window for learning. If there is a very limited window in which the brain learns certain key things via audio, then white noise during that window will result in a permanent disability. If that lost info can be gained later, it will merely delay development for the duration of the white noise.

In my hypothetical twin scenario (where one is kept alive in a sensory deprivation chamber for a year), I would wager that twin will never recover. An alternative hypothesis would be that the deprived twin will behave as if they are one year younger than the other. This illustrates the difference.
  4. basil Member

Hmm it seems to be contagious.

In today's "London Lite" free newspaper:
  5. another123 Member

femalefirst.co.uk :Cruise Opens Up Home to Grieving Sister-In-Law
    in b4 tom cruise plans 3way 2 prove not gay
  6. SwordSworn Member

in b4 Tom Cruise plans 3 way auditing session to prove not gay
  7. muldrake Member

Sounds like lemonparty.
  8. auchraw Member

Sounds like a trap.
  9. TinyDancer Member

Our top 10 celebrity rants | Metro.co.uk
  10. Joe Blitz Member

11. TinyDancer Member

Star: Where there's smoke there's ire

12. Olrik Member

"Tom Cruise has banned Katie Holmes from smoking."
    WUT?
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A72hyq1EKE]YouTube - cigarette butts all over by " the most ethical group on earth"[/ame]
  13. Mousey Member

Actually the most likely scenario is the child in the sense dep tank would die due to not having the physical contact infants need. If the baby did survive (which is highly doubtful) it would be permanently severely physically and mentally disabled. i.e. A years worth of nutrients and growth with no stress on the body, no lifting themselves up with their arms, taking their eyes from the floor to the see the world around them, which means their eyes would be unfocused and not have the musculature they need for things like looking left and looking right...

Basically the loss of the first year development milestones would make a baby that is even more helpless than normal, if it even survives.
  14. auchraw Member

Granted. But I only wondered if there were any signs that Katie's possibly excessive use of white noise, which I understood went on day and night and was supposed to pacify the unborn infant, had had some effect on Suri's hearing. It might explain what I see as some peculiar features in her upbringing so far. Isolated from other children, carried around, apparently very dependent and slow in some ways, only ever seen with mother or father. But with that mother and that father what is normal?
  15. Mousey Member

I've been sitting here stumped for like an hour to think of a polite way to tell you that is one of the stupidest things I've heard all week, then I remembered that jews wanting to change the name of swine flu to mexican flu because swine flu wasn't kosher also happened this week so you are in AWESOME company.

About white noise... Who cares? As of yet it isn't illegal to play white noise for people.

Being a parent it makes me pretty uncomfortable to watch people scrutinize every single second of a child's public life just so that child can be used as a weapon against their parents. It is cynical in the extreme and leads in a dangerous direction in my opinion. Bring shit that is 100% proof to the table instead of this fatuous tinfoil speculation.

As herro said, it isn't established white noise does anything to the development process, negative or positive. To determine that, scientists would need to do a study on children exposed to white noise regularly with a control group of children who are not exposed to it then follow their development until they're around 25 years old or so when they reach full maturity. Studies like that always take a lot of time because, shocker, you can't speed time.
  16. El Diablo Member

Herro: I like the way you think. Legally there's not enough there to start frantically pointing and yelling "Child Abuse!" but something that's been interesting to consider.

I've often thought about how Scientology's pseudo-scientific alternatives to developmental/cog psych might affect children raised in that environment. White noise is just the tip of the iceburg I'd imagine....and I'd think there would be a combination of non-criminal "what not to do if you want a healthy, well-adjusted, intelligent child" type of things going on. Talking to kids like little adults would also be one of those issues I'd imagine, since the whole "motherease" way of talking is thought to facilitate language-acquisition. Anyhow, you've got me thinking about this one, so thanks :)
  17. Yoi Member

Hi.
  18. Anonymous Member

As someone who is a parent AND well-educated and employed in child development, you are spot-on. Thank you.
  19. Yoi Member

Cereal
  20. Minty Member

Hello.
  21. Yoi Member

baby-noise.gif
  22. Minty Member

^^ LOL
  23. Yoi Member

I'm lost but idk. Just ignore me.
  24. Yoi Member

Oops.

Bye now.
  25. Consensus Member

I agree completely that going after Suri (or using her as a tool against her parents) is inappropriate. And I do not like the direction it points in - whereby the state can govern child-rearing because 'it knows what is best.'

I do believe that white noise is harmful to a child, based on what I know about the brain.

And I'm inclined to agree with you that putting a child in a sensory deprivation chamber would most likely kill it, and - if somehow it survived - would permanently hinder it's ability to learn and function (as opposed to merely delaying its maturation). The proposal was merely a thought experiment to elaborate upon the possible consequences of a white-noise environment for infants.

In the end, though, an infant reared with white-noise should perform no worse than an infant born deaf.

And I do not think this is a viable avenue for attacking Tom Cruise or Scientology. Well, unless Scientology is on record as advocating white-noise, and unless there are scientific studies explicitly demonstrating the effect that I believe would occur.

For the record, I would not use white noise on my (hypothetical) children, and I'd discourage anyone else from doing so. But I would not advocate outlawing its use; if science revealed with sufficient confidence that white-noise harmed children to a degree that justified banning it, few parents would be dumb enough to do it (and those that are dumb enough would need to do but one google search to discover it's a bad idea). If white noise is proven to be as harmful as I imagine it is, no company in their right mind would offer devices that do this.
  26. Optimisticate Member

Scientology is worse than white noise.
  27. Anonynamefag Member

So smoking DOESN'T cure cancer? :O
  28. Olrik Member

Cancer? What's that? El Ron was smoking and he had theories (i don't want to remember) about this kind of things, so...
  29. TinyDancer Member

Woman's Day has Katie on the front cover and a headline about Scientology marriage counselling or similar.

What the Kiwi gossip mags say | Stuff.co.nz
  30. Optimisticate Member

Gawker - Can This Tom Cruise Be Saved? - Tom Cruise

31. Optimisticate Member

The Superficial - Katie Holmes doesn't even know

32. Sponge Member

Oh lordy LOL.
    Katie Holmes new movie role she just signed up for...

http://blogs.nypost.com/popwrap/archives/2009/05/katies_haunted_house.html

33. RightOn Member

Priceless..... and going straight to video
  34. FUCK Member

^^^ Lol.
  35. Anonymous Member

Kidman and Cruise's adopted son is in the background in one of these pictures. He's getting very tall. Poor Tom. Should we take bets on how old Suri will be when she's finally taller than Tommy Boy?
  36. Ann O'Nymous Member

She already is.
  37. Anonymous Member

Why do we never see the adopted daughter?
  38. auchraw Member

My suggestion is that she now looks so embarrassingly like DM (not just my idea; check out her photographs) that she has been shipped off to some Scifag boarding school in Oregon or Washington State or up there somewhere.

At least I hope that's what they've done with her. I hope her looks have changed by the time she finishes school.

Meanwhile, has anyone seen Shelly?
  39. Anonymous Member

am I evil if I hope its due to Oppositional Defiant Disorder?
  40. Anonymous Member

^this. poor girl.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.