Customize

Tennessee makes 'emotionally distressing' images on the web illegal - time for Anonymous to step in?

Discussion in 'Freedom of Expression' started by Circus Fag, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Ersatz Global Moderator

merged duplicate thread
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Alsoo Herro is a fag
  3. Anonymous Member

We've had several really bad pieces of legislation passed here recently. We can't judge the scope of it until it is actually enforced or challenged.

Between this, the anti Mosque crap in Murfreesboro and the anti gay laws passed recently I'm thinking another Scopes trial isn't far behind.

Dox here:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/...-bill-chamber-commerce-business_n_865581.html
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303654804576343791784766086.html?mod=dist_smartbrief
    http://www.notwelcomedocumentary.com/

*sigh* imma move to a less retarded state. Is there one?
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Anonymous Member

Arizona?
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Anonymous Member

If you truly believe in free speech they are the same, just because you feel one is a death threat is neither here nor there, others may see it as a call to defend their religion.
  6. ANON LEGIO Member

Sponge said: ↑
    We have this shit in England IRL.
    The police, on the complaint of one person can prettymuch shut down an art gallery exhbit because the complainant was "offended". IMO, in most cases, with a half decent lawyer, it wouldn't stand up in court (if the Crown prosection service doesn't already throw it out before it reaches court) but the police can still ruin your day because the law says they have to act on the complaint (and let's face it, cops have never been known to be an arbiter of what is good/bad taste) so they often err on the side of caution (in favour of the complainant).

How the hell is this not about exactly what he said?! This law gives those in authority the power to shut down whatever they want based on an obscure opinion from as little as one individual. If that is not exactly what this law would do, please, enlighten me.
  7. Herro Member

This law is not about things that people find offensive. This law is about harassment.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Loki's spawn Member

In some cases, though, the person who makes the complaint doesn't have to be the intended recipient. Is it harassment if it's not even aimed at the person?
  9. Anonymous Member

What does this mean for the DM Mass Shoop thread?
  10. WhiteNight Member

Tl;dr of all of this:
    Goatse is now illegal in Tennessee
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Chrome596 Member

Herro I have already said i agree with you before but I think we both realize while the intention of the law is to stop harassment, the wording is so vague and it powers so absolute that it will lead to many court cases where someone felt harrased because they found it offensive, the law needs to be re written with much more careful and intelligent language.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Chrome596 Member

On another note I still can't believe that me and Herro are for the most part agreeing on something
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Herro Member

Once again, I've already stated that my problem with the law is the extremely broad definition of who can be considered to be a victim.

Absolutely nothing.
  14. or the incestuous in breeding.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 1
  16. Anonymous Member

Hey there Sponge,

I don't agree that England does have this shit IRL.

The police can indeed shut down an art gallery (or whatever) on the basis that it's breaking the law - e.g. breaking the law on incitement to violence - but that's not the same thing as closing it down merely because someone is offended.

Plenty of people can be offended without the law being broken - I think you can go back as far as the Lady Chatterley trial to see that.

Sure, the police can be mistaken and can apply the law incorrectly, but that's a different issue - and it applies to all law across the board. E.g the london Anon 'cult' placard - police quite correctly took legal advice, legal advice determined no law broken, charges dropped, police refuse to act on future complaints from the cult that they're being called a cult. That's the way the system's meant to work.
  17. L1Qu1D Member

reason why this is the stupidest fuckin law ive heard in a while: almost all images can emotionally distress at least 1 person who views it. so if tennesee wants to play like that, they might as well remove all image services. stupid law is stupid.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Herro Member

You haven't read the law, have you?
  19. Random guy Member

Isn't going into a bar in the first place something one does in order to find someone to fuck with?
    • Like Like x 1
  20. TN law already has a pretty shitty definition of "harassment". If you call a person anonymously or at an hour known to be inconvenient to them; you are "harassing" them under TN law. It's a class A misdemeanor to do either. I find dead animals to be mildly emotionally upsetting. I find being told I'm told going to hell offensive (and amusing). However, as Voltaire said: "I do not agree with what you have to say, however I will defend to the death your right to say it".
    • Like Like x 3
  21. Anonymous Member

I thought it was to get drunk and meet girls with low standards.
    • Like Like x 2
  22. Random guy Member

Indeed, and the "lower standard" bit is wher fucking (hopefully) comes in.
    • Like Like x 1
  23. Anonymous Member

In Tennessee, you have to find a non-dry county first.
    • Like Like x 1
  24. lulzgasm Member

Shhh! Don't say that. Someone in Tennessee might find it "disturbing" and send the cops after you. lol!

I'm not surprised by such laws. I grew up in Kentucky, in a town where if the sheriff caught you playing Dungeons & Dragons, he'd throw you in jail for "practicin' that there satanism."
  25. Random guy Member

:D
    I grew up in a town where if the if you get caught at midnight in a black cloak about put the dagger to the sermonial lamb under the full moon, you'd get a fine for butchering without a permit.
    • Like Like x 1
  26. Anonymous Member

The ACLU is suing. Good.
    • Like Like x 1
  27. Anonymous Member

YAYYYYY!!
    no more pictures of Hubbard allowed!
  28. anonymous612 Member

Dox? Don't disbelieve you, but dox?
  29. Where I grew up that was public entertainment. If ya drive thru sometime, enjoy the 'Cozy Dogs' and pork tenderloin sammiches, but don't take 'em up on the lottery thingy. Protip: The REAL prize is NOT the AM/FM media device with weather radio they claim it is...
    • Like Like x 1
  30. Anonymous Member

Here in Memphis. Big moves coming up. If your near then contact us.
    Worldrevolt.net/forums
    Check out the Tn link
  31. DeathHamster Member

32. AnonDMT Member

I'm in Memphis, contact me. Looking for connects in te area.