Customize

Teen Suicides Biggest Jump in 15 YRS Due to Less Anti-Depressants Prescribed

Discussion in 'CoS Front Groups' started by FALLEN., Apr 7, 2008.

1. FALLEN. Member

Teen Suicides Biggest Jump in 15 YRS Due to Less Anti-Depressants Prescribed

Remember all those claims by Scinos in their event DVD that they've had a big effect on legislation and newspapers reporting negative stuff about anti-depressant meds? Well, here's the result.

Thanks, CO$!

Teen Suicides Up Sharply for First Time in Years - washingtonpost.com

it's also being reported in Forbes: Teen Suicides Up Sharply for First Time in Years - Forbes.com

I tried to set up a Digg article, but keep getting a 'fatal exception error' from Digg.
  2. anonEmouser Member

Re: Teen Suicides Biggest Jump in 15 YRS Due to Less Anti-Depressants Prescribed

Did you hear that?

It was (Bruce) Wiseman and Miscavige crapping their pants. CCHR is going downstat, baby!
  3. Anon65 Member

Re: Teen Suicides Biggest Jump in 15 YRS Due to Less Anti-Depressants Prescribed

Not really related to us or Scientology. We are not a pro-medication lobby group.
  4. seebs Member

Hugely related to Scientology -- they spent huge amounts of time and money pushing for this to happen.
  5. Re: Teen Suicides Biggest Jump in 15 YRS Due to Less Anti-Depressants Prescribed

As mentioned in this clip of David Miscavige from 1:56->5:06
    YouTube - Scientology advocates violence against psychiatry
  6. AnonNow Member

But we ARE here to expose the lies Scientology promote in order to further carry out their abuses.
    Their baseless criticism of the Psychiatric profession is just a way for them to further their own agenda and so this helps us expose those lies!
    Saying this is not related to us is like saying disconnected families are not related to us because it is their personal business!
  7. indeedindeed Member

you bet it is related. CCHR anyone?
  8. Whanonstler Member

Research moar!
  9. Re: Teen Suicides Biggest Jump in 15 YRS Due to Less Anti-Depressants Prescribed

How much you wanna bet that scientologists will call this psych propaganda?
  10. aluminumcanoe Member

If nothing else, it's related in that it sets up another front for Scientology to have to fight on. CCHR is committed to ending the use of psychiatric medication, it can't afford to let a study like this go unattacked. That means a portion of attention turned away from us, just as we gear up for 4/12. Good stuff!
  11. Top Grunge Member

Yep, CCHR helped push this warning of depression meds causing suicide on meds. Also, they used that label and research to quantify their recent adds about deaths caused by pills. If it is shown, like here, that no, in fact more people die due to not having meds than having them....well, CCHR would be up shit creek.
  12. anonEmouser Member

No bet. Their vocabulary is too limited.

Friendly to CoS==Truth and unimpeachable evidence; a quality human being.
    Critical/Hurtful to CoS==Propaganda, slander, libel! Religious Bigotry; Help Help, we're being repressed!
  13. Anon65 Member

We are against the CofS and CCHR and we are against their campaign against psychiatry. That doesn't mean we are for more medication. Is there a connection between this specific case and Scientology?
  14. FALLEN. Member

It's now up to everyone who knows about this to push the connection. Get people aware and talking about CCHR's activities the past couple of years and this result.

Someone with technical know-how (not me, unfortunately :( ) should do a YouTube vid about skyrocketing teen sucide rates and include clips from DM's rants, and then prominently mention the CCHR's activities.
  15. Re: Teen Suicides Biggest Jump in 15 YRS Due to Less Anti-Depressants Prescribed

Not your personal army. OP is informative but isn't breaking news for Chanology.
  16. anonEmouser Member

This is a study done. Their latest Big Push against psychiatry started in the early 2000's--and coincidentally the rate of prescription issue falls and kids start offing themselves more.

Their big ranting against psychiatric drugs is that "they cause people to kill themselves and maybe others too" -- while this doesn't exactly disprove that idea, it does show that it prevents far more suicides than it causes. This flies directly in the face of their propaganda and will be a big mess for CCHR.

So yeah, its relevant to the cause; if for no other reason than it provides counterarguments to their propaganda bullshit.
  17. Daywatch Member

this
  18. Edges Member

It's informative, but not a footbullet for CoS or anything. The anti-pharmaceutical issue is pretty big, and seems to be a bit of a distraction for us. We could focus everything on that one issue and get exactly nowhere with it.
  19. Unlisted Member

ok, not breaking news however it is related to debunking CCHR propaganda so GD for now.
    :flowers:
  20. Anónimo Member

If we jump on the comments sction of the forbes article a talk about LEAF and other scientology shenanings this becames an scientology related issue.
  21. tiggernew Member

We are not injecting Scientology into the mental health issue -- the Church of Scientology and CCHR are injecting it into the issue.

[BEGIN RANT]

The CoS claims responsibility for the black box warnings. The CoS claims responsibility for the miles of bad press about antidepressants which have discouraged those who need help from getting it, or made it harder or a greater stigma to do so. The CoS has taken advantage of the honesty and scientific rigor of the scientific community and used studies selectively to support an anti-psychiatry campaign, leaving many with fewer treatment options that they perceive as safe and accessible.

Therefore, yes, the Church of Scientology and CCHR are responsible for the broader effects of their misinformation, including deaths. What's sauce for the goose (their claims about psychiatry) is sauce for the gander.

David Miscavige stood on a dais and BOASTED about "booby-trapping" the funding mechanisms. He boasted that CoS and CCHR are directly responsible for placing stories into the press, magnifying the numbers and sensationalizing tragedies, in order to foul the name of psychiatry and antidepressants.

That man and his minions have lied to the public in order to further an agenda based purely on the ravings of madman L. Ron Hubbard, and teens are dying partly as a result. [No, they're not 100 percent responsible -- I'm not foolish enough to attribute responsibility to any one party, as mental health is a very complex issue.]

People aren't getting needed help because they've been panicked by nutjobs hiding behind "human rights," and unverified non-peer-reviewed bullshit. People are dying despite help being available. People are dying because these loons lie, pretend to be independent researchers, and masquerade as humanitarians. Would anyone pay attention if they were honest about their sources of information, and their affiliation with Scientology? No. Which is why they hide it, and prevaricate about it.

Yeah, I have a problem with that. Those participating in that campaign make me sick to my stomach, the lot of them.

[END RANT]

Thank you for your indulgence.
  22. Top Grunge Member

and I have nothing to add, Tiggernew.....said it all.
  23. iamxenu123 Member

Here's a new article just published today, which basically states suicide rates of children went up 25% over the last 2 years after Health Canada issued warnings that newer antidepressants may be associated with an increased risk of "suicide-related" events in patients under 18. Before that suicide rates were in steady decline.

Suicides, untreated depression follow anti-depressant warnings

24. AnonNow Member

^This
    Also, you can be damn sure that Co$ don't sit around on their hands baaawwwing "this has nothing to do with us", they are opportunists, they will jump on anything to promote themselves and their agenda. We should be doing the same too, if we turn a news story into anti-sci propaganda we should, they would!
    This is an opportunity to say "look, Scientology propaganda is talking rubbish"
  25. Re: Teen Suicides Biggest Jump in 15 YRS Due to Less Anti-Depressants Prescribed

Dear God.
    I've only recently learned about Scientology and just how dangerous their organization is... but this... this takes the fucking cake.
    Sorry. Hot button issue for me, for many reasons.

Can we put together a fact sheet for distribution that shows a direct correlation (through Co$ quotes, campaigns, incentives, ect.) and the rising panic about suicides related to antidepressants, which then leads to an increase in suicides? April 12th might not be the time to throw them at the public, but it'd be good to get a jump on.
  26. Re: Teen Suicides Biggest Jump in 15 YRS Due to Less Anti-Depressants Prescribed

I'm thinking a nice Youtube video using Tom Cruise's Today Show rant about psychiatry, debunking his claims with quotes from articles like this (or better yet, the studies they're sourced from). Unforunately I have zero video editing skills, anyone?
  27. Re: Teen Suicides Biggest Jump in 15 YRS Due to Less Anti-Depressants Prescribed

I can give it a shot. I don't have oodles of time, but if anybody knows how to get clips off of Youtube and into an edit-able format, I can take a whack at it. :)

Can't upload the vid, tho... I'd have to send it to somebody else for upload.

However, I have to ask... are we SURE that Co$ had a major role to play in terms of restricting the use of/increasing the hype about psychological medications? I know they love to SAY that they did, but I like to trust the scientific community a little bit more than that. Thinking that they, too, are at the mercy of the cult is a very sad day in the life of muse.
  28. lermanet_com Member

YES