Customize

Tax Experts/Lawyers - Important CO$ IRS Question

Discussion in 'Education, Research and Inside Reports' started by Tuatha_de_Danann, Feb 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tax Experts/Lawyers - Important CO$ IRS Question

MOAR ILLEGAL ACTIONS??

From clambake:

Ummm...as far as I'm aware, ministers and secretaries, etc. who work for EVERY OTHER CHURCH in the world have to file taxes on their salaries. They are NOT exempt simply because they "work for a church." Salary is salary. My neighbor was a church secretary for 15 years and always had to file with the IRS.

If the Co$ is incorrectly telling members they don't have to file taxes, this is HUGE... amirite?

quote was snipped from bottom of thread at OCMB
    http://ocmb.xenu.net/ocmb/viewtopic.php?t=25592
  2. MollyBloom Member

http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/ ... 23,00.html

bulit points near the end...
    click yes

<shrug>
  3. JRhumperdink Member

To the OP:

An anti-science guy named Kent Hovind is currently serving time in prison for tax evasion. He ran a theme park that was geared toward promoting Creationism, a belief that an "Intelligent Designer" created living beings on Earth, and nothing evolved. (Science has proven otherwise.)

Hovind ran a "ministry" in which he collected thousands of dollars without paying income taxes. He also did not follow employment law or proper tax procedures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_hovind
    If Scientology "churches" are also committing tax fraud, the individuals in charge can also be arrested, tried, and jailed if convicted.

The government needs evidence to make a case. Your source could be a whistleblower. Check the link in my signature for a thread about filing a complaint with the IRS.
  4. Unfortunately, I don't have posting privileges at OCMB. Someone who does needs to take that info over there.
  5. sudopod Member

Re: Tax Experts/Lawyers - Important CO$ IRS Question

BUMP
  6. Re: Tax Experts/Lawyers - Important CO$ IRS Question

(This is not legal advice. This is for educational purposes only.)

The more serious violation (from the "church's perspective) would be if the "church" does not comply with mandatory withholding -- if it is required.

I'd have to research to give a solid answer, but the basic answer from when I last knew with reasonable certainty is that churches do not have to withhold for ministers, but they do have to withhold for non-ministers.

Non-minister employees HAVE to file tax returns if they make more than the minimum threshold level, which was mmm $600 or so last time I actually knew that number for a fact. Ministers may get to file taxes as part of the "church" filings themselves, but again I'd have to research it to get a solid answer.

There's no way the "churches" get to claim every employee as exempt.

Tax exempt doesn't mean exempt on income taxes. EVERYBODY is obligated by law to report income and to pay taxes if liable (except under $600 or whatev is current), and income is:

26 USC ยง 61. Gross income defined
    (a) General definition
    Except as otherwise provided in this subtitle, gross income means all income from whatever source derived, including (but not limited to) the following items:
    (1) Compensation for services, including fees, commissions, fringe benefits, and similar items;
    (2) Gross income derived from business;
    (3) Gains derived from dealings in property;
    (4) Interest;
    (5) Rents;
    (6) Royalties;
    (7) Dividends;
    (8) Alimony and separate maintenance payments;
    (9) Annuities;
    (10) Income from life insurance and endowment contracts;
    (11) Pensions;
    (12) Income from discharge of indebtedness;
    (13) Distributive share of partnership gross income;
    (14) Income in respect of a decedent; and
    (15) Income from an interest in an estate or trust.

see: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/uscod ... -000-.html
    [edit: for a little clarification]
  7. Rotanee Member

Re: Tax Experts/Lawyers - Important CO$ IRS Question

Thanks to the new forum upgrade, we now have a place for this topic.

I am moving this topic to the Tax-Exempt Status forum.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.