Customize

Tax Exempt Independent Scientology: Religious Liberty League

Discussion in 'Independent Scientology' started by CommunicatorIC, Oct 13, 2015.

1. thesneakster Member

Trademarks and Copyrights are two different things. Corporate Scientology registered trademarks for "Scientology", "Standard Tech", "Hubbard", etc. as well as a collective membership mark for "Scientologist" around 1982 and has been using the sham threat of trademark infringement lawsuits to stop Independent Scientologists from advertising themselves as "Scientology" and "Scientologists" who practice "Hubbard" "Standard Tech" ever since.

Whether you think the subject has any positive value or only negative value, this is how David "Darth Midget" Miscavige deceives the members into believing they cannot go to anyone but himself for "Hubbard" "Standard Tech" "Scientology". For those who truly believe that the ultimate salvation of their immortal souls (to express the concept in plain English terms) depends upon this, this perceived monopoly is what empowers D.M. to order his staff and public to do whatsoever he wishes; murder their unborn children, shun their family and friends, bankrupt themselves and all the rest of the evils done by Co$.

As I expressed it in my formal letter of disconnection from the Sea Organization in 2005 - these people truly believe that D.M. is holding the keys to the gates of Heaven and they are not getting in should they disobey him. "You'll lose your Eternity!!!" is a routine threat made to any member who expresses a desire to quit or leave.

Invalidation of those bogus trademarks in a U.S. Federal Court would be most useful on behalf of the Indies would be most hurtful to D.M. and his little empire.

Michael A. Hobson
    Independent Scientologist
    I am *not* a lawyer[/quote]
  2. thesneakster Member

I sure hope you are wrong about this guy being yet another kook. I'll have to examine these purported FOIA filings.

Michael A. Hobson
    I am *not* a lawyer
  3. DeathHamster Member

I haven't said that he's a kook yet, but his FOIA suits look that way. Look up-thread, from #11 or so.
    • FOIA requests on an imagined government grand conspiracy to infiltrate GO while it was infiltrating other people.
    • Says that he was lured and entrapped to do the bad things he did. Gabriel Cazares and Jimmy Mulligan were government agents.Etc.
    • Submits FOIA requests that are badly formed and decades out of date.
    • Fires off his suits well before he should have expected an answer. (Which pauses his requests rather than speeding them up.)
    People can have obsessions but still be otherwise functional. Hopefully that's true for him.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. So? The LDS failed to get a trademark on "Mormon" (at least in the US) but have trademarks on a lot of other relevant terms.

How does this violate the first amendment? All religious groups have equal ability to apply for trademarks.

And what's the difference between saying that I should be able to use "Scientology" as part of my religious organization name even though it is trademarked and saying I should be able to use the "Fedex" as part my organization name? The fact that the trademark holder itself claims to be a religious organization?
  5. thesneakster Member

Thus we get "Scientology(tm) Applied Religious Philosophy", where "Applied Religious Philosophy" is the generic type of thing to which the "Scientology" brand name is supposed to apply.

Now here is the problem with that: the Scientology is practiced as a religion by numerous persons outside of the "Church of Scientology". All of the written and spoken materials of the Founder use that name throughout all the it's theoretical and practical discussions and instruction (doctrine or "catechism").

So, some Independent Scientologist or group of Independent Scientologists gets dragged into court by David "Darth Midget" Miscavige for calling themselves "Scientology" and "Scientologists" as a trademark violation. The Court, with very little effort, rules that the U.S. Government is forbidden from deciding who can and cannot call themselves a practitioner of religion 'X' and cites the 1st Amendment Establishment Clause. - and that's the end of the Trademark for DM.

Michael A. Hobson
    I am *not* a lawyer
  6. BLiP Member

How can a trademark be a religion?
  7. So what? Trademarks don't restrict your ability to practice religion. I can acquire the Book of Mormon and use it however I want in religious practice. I am simply limited in what I can call my organization by the LDS trademarks.

Non-CoS Scientologists are allowed to use the word "Scientology". They just can't create or promote entities in ways that violate the trademarks.

I think you have been learning law from the underpants gnomes. Can you cite a relevant legal precedent?

Also, you really mean the free exercise clause and not the establishment clause.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. DeathHamster Member

• Like Like x 2
  9. BLiP Member

Oh, I get it, thanks. It looks like the Free Indie Dependent Zoners have to come up with a name other than Scientology to describe what ever variation of L Ron Hubbard's mindfuck they play about with. That's probably a good idea, really. I mean, the word 'Scientology' is so filthy why would anyone want to use it to attract new dupes?
  10. Independent Scientology Religious Liberty League: Breaking the Monopoly
    http://religiouslibertyleague.org/breaking-the-monopoly/

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

The Religious Liberty League can be viewed as the Department 20 for the “religion” of Scientology as opposed to the “church” or “churches” of Scientology.

For those familiar with Scientology organizations, Department 20 of the Church of Scientology International is the Office of Special Affairs (OSA), which oversees the external affairs of the church, among them: Public Relations, Legal, and Investigations.

Of course, as has been well-documented in cyberspace, Miscavige micro manages OSA to protect his monopoly over Scientology. See, e.g., SaveScientology.com.

Under the administration of L. Ron Hubbard, or someone with his benevolent intent, we don’t have a problem with that concept – as do, we surmise, most Scientologists. Clearly, LRH always strove to deliver standard technology for the betterment of mankind. That is how he boomed Scientology organizations.

But Miscavige does not operate the church in alignment with the religion of Scientology. Rather, he has altered Scientology technology – the religion, same thing – and uses it as a control mechanism. This, too, has been well-documented. See, e.g., FriendsofLRH.org.

Indeed, a conspiratorial mind could view the church in the clutches of Miscavige as a giant laboratory for the perfection of Scientology techniques as control mechanisms. Perhaps that’s his real intention.

Too far out there?

Consider this. In a 1952 lecture to Philadelphia Doctorate Course students, LRH said this:

“Therefore, we really do have the remedy before the assault weapon is produced. Did you ever read poor old George Orwell’s 1984? Yes, yes, that’s wonderful. That would be — could be the palest imagined shadow of what a world would be like under the rule of the secret use of Scientology with no remedy in existence.

“It’s a very simple remedy. And that’s just make sure that the remedy is passed along. That’s all. Don’t hoard it and don’t hold it; and if you ever do use any Black Dianetics, use it on the guy who pulled Scientology out of sight and made it so it wasn’t available. Because he’s the boy who would be electing himself “The New Order.” And we don’t need any more new orders. All those orders, as far as I am concerned, have been filled.”
    [1]

You won’t find the highlighted portion of this passage in the new version of this lecture released in 2008 by David Miscavige. It was deleted. You have to find the original version.

This deletion speaks loudly, doesn’t it?

Be the answer to that question as it may, conspiracies aside. One way to ensure that the remedy is not hoarded and held onto, and that the world does not come under the rule of the secret use of Scientology, is to break Miscavige’s monopoly over the technology.

Indeed, it as imperative. As LRH said about the dangers of a monopoly over Scientology:

* “Don’t ever think that a monopoly of this subject is a safe thing to have. It’s not safe. It’s not safe for man; it’s not safe for this universe.”[2]

* “Scientology, well understood, is a very powerful thing. Well used, it can do a great deal for the social order and for the individual. Poorly relayed, poorly communicated, monopolized or used exclusively for gain, it could be a very destructive thing.”[3]

“As I look into the future I see that we are handling here material of a potential control and command over mankind which must not be permitted at any time to become the monopoly or the tool of the few to the danger and disaster of the many.” [4]

* “The efforts of [the U.S.] government since 1955, stepped up since 1963, [has been] to seize Scientology rather than forbid or stop it.”[5]

The Religious Liberty League is engaged in actions to break the monopoly over Scientology and make the subject available to anyone who desires to freely practice the religion.

Stay tuned for news breaks.

End Notes:
    [1] (Emphasis added) PDCourse Lecture No. 20, Formative State of Scientology, Definition of Logic, given on 6 December 1952.
    [2] Ibid.
    [3] The Anatomy of the Spirit of Man Congress, Lecture No. 15, What Scientology Is Doing – Organizations, The Control & Division of Man, given on 6 June 1955.
    [4] Ibid.
    [5] HCO PL 14 Jun 65 Issue III, Politics, Freedom from

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *
  11. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 5
  12. An update is promised soon.

https://www.facebook.com/religiouslibertyleague/posts/719096468229951

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

Religious Liberty League
    July 28 at 3:13pm

Thanks for all the views and interest for this page despite the lack of news being published here and on our website.

Soon to end. Major developments to report on in the very near future.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *
  13. JohnnyRUClear Member

*bates breath*
  14. DeathHamster Member

Are they going to file their first Form 990?
  15. The Independent Scientology Religious Liberty League blog is down.

I have no idea if that as a result of a mere website glitch, or if something more important is going on. Then again, when one clicks indiviual items under "Our News" on the main page, they come up.

Fr34ay7.png
  16. Quentinanon Member

Who knows and who cares?
  17. thesneakster Member

Transient glitch apparently. As of this moment, that website is working properly.