Customize

Student raped, all males in the school DNA tested

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Disambiguation, May 18, 2014.

1. Disambiguation Global Moderator

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-27020933

• Like Like x 1
  2. Disambiguation Global Moderator

Precedent
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Nancy Beazley Member

Don't like that ... testing anybody and everybody, whether they're a suspect or not .
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Fox Mulder Member

Testing the teachers I hope?
    • Like Like x 3
  5. RavenEyes Member

Yes, the male teachers.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. RavenEyes Member

Ok...

1. The test is "voluntary", but the news reporter says that anyone who refuses to take the test is a suspect. Yes, that certainly sounds quite "voluntary" to me.

2. The rape occurred last year. I hope they take impeccable attendance records at that school. If a student was there last year but has graduated, moved, transferred out, will they be tracking that person down to have him undergo testing? The same question applies to any staff member who no longer works for the school?

3. If any former student or staff member is now deceased, will they exhume the body to administer the test?

4. Were there any other males in the building that day, such as family members (siblings, parents, etc.), delivery personnel, administrators/teachers from other schools, etc?

4. They found evidence of semen on the girl's underclothing. Was there any evidence found in the school's restroom that confirms that is where the assault took place? Was a rape kit done for other evidence, such as pupic hair, tissue under fingernails, etc?

5. Why has it taken a year to get to this point?

This is not right.
    • Like Like x 3
  7. RavenEyes Member

By the way, this article is a month old, so we should be finding out which of these men or boys tested is the rapist pretty soon since they said they'll have all the results back within a month. I've never heard of that many DNA tests coming back that quickly, but perhaps France doesn't have the backlog that the US does.
  8. anonsoldier Member

France still uses Napoleonic code, which presumes guilt until proven innocent. As a result their requirements for burden of proof for searches are often lower.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. anon8109 Member

Isn't a DNA sample collected from a simple swab of the inside cheek? Is that too much of an intrusion so this poor girl can have justice and to get a violent rapist off the street?
    • Like Like x 1
  10. RavenEyes Member

No, it's not too much of an intrusion. But, there are a lot of questions. If the violent rapist is from the school, he's been there a year since first raping the student, with the ability to rape others, repeatedly. Why wait so long. Secondly, by swabbing everyone, it is a presumption of guilt until proven innocent. One person opted not to undergo testing. We don't know why - he cited personal issues. Maybe he has some genetic defect that he'd like to keep private. Well, you know immediately that drew suspicion.

I work with rape victims. Mass testing is not the answer. There are ways to lower the sample field first. And, waiting a year is too long.
  11. RavenEyes Member

Thanks, soldier.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. It also involves the question of what happens to all those samples. I have no idea where french law stands, but many governments these days are gluttons for biometric data of their citizenry.
    • Like Like x 2