Customize

StPete Times Expose

Discussion in 'St Petersburg Times expose' started by Supressive Crimes, Jun 25, 2009.

1. StPete Times Expose

Everytime I go to the SP Times site and read the articles on scientology I notice the banners all have links to scientology.org. Anyone else notice this? The ads are hosted by google, so Im not sure how it actually works. Is Scientology actually sponsoring the SP Times? Are they doing it to possibly attract more members? Are the ads somehow added according to relevance? I took a few screenies of it and have not seen anyone else post on it. Then again my last three posts have been slowpoke ones so if this has already been discussed feel free to call me out as a retard.
  2. Skeptic1337 Member

Re: StPete Times Expose

You're a retard.

SP times has google ads

Google has scientology as a client

SP times has keywords on scientology

Google serves up scientology ads.

SP times could filter those out if they wanted to but beyond that they don't control what google serves.

Welcome to the internet.
  3. Anonymous Member

Scientology paying for their own demise. Yes, they are Google Ads which are delivered according to relevance.
  4. Anonymous Member

The filtering is imperfect and hard to do, at least it used to be so. WWP and Enturbulation.org both had a problem with Scientology ads appearing on this forum.
  5. Re: StPete Times Expose

Ahhh thanks for the schooling. Maby one of these days I will catch on.
  6. Skeptic1337 Member

lol no it's not.

Enturb and WWP had a problem because they didn't do it and enturb lost it because they never filtered it and might *cough* have had click fraud.
  7. Anonymous Member

Advertisers have a lot more control over where they advertise than the ad-carriers had control over which ads appeared. This has become better over time and now I don't see Scientology ads here anymore.

In the past you could put in a filtering rule, but it wouldn't take effect all the time.
  8. Anonymous Member

Click fraud investigators at Google never heard about the case. The request to kick Enturbulation.org out of the program came from the sales department as a demand from Scientology. If they had truly been concerned, they could just have filtered Enturbulation out of where their ads were carried.
  9. Re: StPete Times Expose

I diddnt mean to start a pointless debate here, I just noticed something and it pissed me off.
  10. Adanon Member

It's nothing to be pissed off about. The cults response to having had the Internet turn on them has been to spend ridiculous sums of money on this failing Adsense campaign of theirs.

The ad's only turn up on pages that have scientology related keywords. By and large, these key words only turn up on pages that are critical of the cult (the overwhelming majority) or on their own propaganda pages which nobody but cult members pay any attention to.

So ultimately the only people seeing the ads, asides from a few current cult members, are those who've already availed themselves of the resources to know better than to allow themselves to be sucked in by them.

More than anything else, this campaign is helping to fund their critics. Let them keep on spending.
  11. Anonymous Member

Hadn't seen it mentioned here, but as I am sure everyone knows, every time someone clicks on one of those ads by google, they get charged from .25 to .50 cents.

It's a toss up whether you want to drive the stats up, or cost them money, but for me, I like the idea that every time I click on it, it costs them money. I like that
  12. Anonymous Member

There are ads on the internet? What's the world coming to...