Customize

Stolen babies in St Louis

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by The Wrong Guy, May 2, 2015.

1. The Wrong Guy Member

Black Mothers Wonder If Their Lost Babies Are Still Alive

By Jim Salter, The Associated Press, May 1, 2015

Eighteen black women who were told decades ago that their babies had died soon after birth at a St. Louis hospital now wonder if the infants were taken away by hospital officials to be raised by other families.

The suspicions arose from the story of Zella Jackson Price, who said she was 26 in 1965 when she gave birth at Homer G. Phillips Hospital in St. Louis. Hours later, she was told that her daughter had died, but she never saw a body or a death certificate.

No one is sure who was responsible, but Price's daughter ended up in foster care, only to resurface almost 50 years later. Melanie Gilmore, who now lives in Eugene, Oregon, has said that her foster parents always told her she was given up by her birth mother.

Price's attorney, Albert Watkins, is asking city and state officials to investigate. In a letter to Gov. Jay Nixon and St. Louis Mayor Francis Slay, Watkins said he suspects the hospital coordinated a scheme "to steal newborns of color for marketing in private adoption transactions."

Continued here:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/01/lost-babies-st-louis_n_7191298.html
    • Like Like x 4
  2. The Wrong Guy Member

St. Louis Police now investigating decades-old stolen babies case

Published by Al Jazeera America News on May 12, 2015

Attorney Albert Watkins, who is representing many of the victims in this case, provides his insight on the investigation.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. RightOn Member

holy crap!
    this is outrageous
    • Like Like x 2
  4. The Wrong Guy Member

Mom meets 49-year-old daughter she thought was dead

Published by CNN on May 12, 2015

CNN's Gary Tuchman reports on possibly dozens of newborn babies allegedly taken from their mothers who were told they were dead.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Kilia Member

Excuse me, I think I have something in my eyes.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. BlooAnon Member

Wow.... just wow. What is wrong with people?!
  7. Ann O'Nymous Member

Very sad. Rather similar to what happened in Switzerland where about 600 Yenish - local travelers - children were taken away from their parents by a semi-official body (Pro Juventute) and placed in families, between around 1925 and 1975. A much broader program involved tens of thousands of poor children that were indentured to farmers at auctions until the 1960's.

The common point seems to be that dominant social groups see dominated ones as unfit to raise children. The former might be under the impression that they were"saving" the children from a "miserable" life and offering them better opportunities, but the outcome is often very bad: abuses, forced work, etc.

It sometimes coincide with a system to provide children to families that cannot have one by themselves, as it has been the case in Argentina under Pinochet with dissidents' children.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Anonymous Member

This happened in Spain during Franco's regime. I'm going to check it out but I'm sure that there are similar incidents in Ireland. What kind of fucking world are we living in?
  9. Sekee Member

Yes, it also happened in Ireland.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...tml?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490
  10. Hugh Bris Member

In the US there were forced sterilizations into the 1970s.

11. Anonymous Member

Brave new world or what!
    The sad thing is that most of this shit was done by "decent god fearing" people! Christianity has a lot to answer for! Hypocritical fucks!
    • Like Like x 2