Customize

Steve Brackett - OT - commits suicide

Discussion in 'Leaks & Legal' started by pooks, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Consensus Member

Re: Steve Brackett - OT - commits suicide

I used the example of a member that donated a million dollars, but most churches would help out ANY of their members. There is, of course, a limit - as churches would go under fast if anybody could just walk in, attend a sermon, and then get free food and housing for life. Someone that donated a million bucks might actually be able to do that - though, if they were in a position where they were able to donate a million dollars at one point, odds are much better that they'll be able to get themselves back on their feet than, say, someone that's always been homeless and destitute.

In any case, I have a large, loving, and supportive group of friends, but remembering the awesomeness of my church community while growing up makes me kinda wish we had an atheist community to model that. I'm glad it exists in some places. Maybe I should try to start one up myself.
  2. eddieVroom Member

We've pretty much all seen the orientation film with the "blow your brains out or..." line in it. Is it possible there is a post-hypnotic suggestion reinforced thoughout the "tech" designed to use Fear of Death (due to uptick in "accidents") to impel the Scilons to seek "handling" if they start planning to blow?
  3. Nataku Member

4. T.W.C_Anon Member

then wouldn't you be starting a religion. isn't that by being an atheist what you are trying to avoid?

Scientology was conceived out of malice, greed, ignorance and bad intentions. Greed and lies is what greases the machine. It was never a religion, never intended to be a religion, never intended to help anyone other than its founder and never will be. What is bred in the bone is never absent in the flesh. I perceive people who refer to scientology as a religion as ignorant of the truth of the matter and playing into what scientology wants everyone to see them as (and hide behind) - a religion.
    meh
  5. kitfisto Member

Diggable?
  6. darkshadow667 Member

Re: Need help investigating this death

There's also the quote near the end of the Orientation video. "If you walk out of here and choose to never speak of scientology again, you are perfectly free to do so. It would be stupid, but, you can do it. You can also dive off a bridge or blow your brains out. That is your choice."
  7. darkshadow667 Member

Sure, I scroll up and there it is.... ;p
  8. Buttons Member

Thanks to whoever posted the FREE SERVICE=FREE FALL policy.
    I had not read that before.
  9. Consensus Member

What I meant was, I miss having a larger social community like that. I had college to serve that function until I graduated. Now I have co-workers, and friends, but I'm not a member of a lodge or any larger social organization. Maybe I should consider finding one.

And I'm not trying to avoid anything by being an atheist. I'm just trying to hold views that accurately reflect reality.

But yeah, designing a social organization (like a church) around Atheism would be problematic for me. When you base a social group on shared beliefs, you create social pressure to conform. I know catholic church is are nothing like the cult of scientology, but there is a lot of pressure to avoid doubt, simply because doubt separates you from the community that you socialize with. It's an effect I think is best avoided.
  10. Anonymous Member

11. AnonLover Member

12. lothar Member

"Everytime you see me and my mask, they ask for more money, why?"

"Will your kids stop loving you if you run out of money? Scientology will."
  13. Ramona Member

Scientology's BRIDGE

14. moreanonymous Member

It wasn't suicide, it was a tragic flying accident!
  15. JohnnyRUClear Member

This is where I see atheism as eye-rolling hubris. What is humanity? If man is nothing but a random accident, as atheism would suggest, what kind of humanity is that? What's the categorical difference between man and non-man? Looks to me like atheism does a fine job of robbing humanity of its humanity -- but then, I'm not convinced atheism is quite non-religion, either. :)

I like those, especially the second one. The fact that $cn will never give you anything free (other than a "free" stress/personality test purely designed to hook you) needs to be rubbed in the faces of $cilons, IMO, along with the generosity of so many people and groups outside Scientology. The abject greed of the cult is repugnant.
  16. chrisanon Member

I have a great deal of sympathy (if that's the word) for your viewpoint on this, none given, but I disagree.

When someone is in extreme, irremediable physical pain, the most merciful act might be to put them out of it. "Euthanasia" comes from the Greek for good death.

Have you considered that it is possible to be in great, irremediable emotional pain? Thank Xenu I haven't experienced that myself, but from physical pain I've experienced I think I can understand at least a little.

Many people who commit suicide do not want to die so much as they want to end their pain. Ending their pain means ending their life, but the goal is pain relief at any cost, and their thinking is usually so screwed up they're not fully able to comprehend that final means final.

We usually exempt people who are in extraordinary physical pain from considering others' needs; they just can't, their pre-frontal lobes and central nervous systems are dysfunctional.

I can see extending the exemption to those in unbearable emotional pain. Suicide is a callous act that offends the life-force; I'm not certain it's always contemptible. It might be more of a "fuck you" to the pain itself than to the victim's loved ones.
  17. Ann O'Nymous Member

Based on similar groups, could we call them scientology anonymous ?
  18. Trev6 Member

Has there been any TV news about Steve Brackett's death, and\or the ties to Scientology? I've searched, but haven't found anything yet. Would be nice to JewTube them, if there are any.

EDIT: Also, why are people fagging up this thread with atheism debates? Less AIDS, more toppling Scientology pl0x.
  19. Ramona Member

i think you're right!

[IMG]

20. lothar Member

Nope, nothing, not even obit in paper.

Could some video anon take the Nancy Cartwright "Bart" answering machine fundraising video and overlay some text about Scientology harasses their members to donate all their money and some text about Cartwright's ex- jumping off a bridge mostly due to financial woes after recently having given millions in donations.

Faggots haven't even hit up twitter about it.

NEEDS MOAR TWITTER. "Nancy Cartwright's ex-fiance jumped off scientology bridge to nowhere."
  21. Anonymous Member

I got intensely depressed and suicidal while I was debating about leaving scientology. Realizing that scientology is a con is pretty much earth-shaking to your whole life and beliefs.
  22. Re: Steve Brackett - OT - commits suicide

23. Buttons Member

Chrisanon-

Excellent post. The knowing because of IRL experience always trumps the knowing gained by the simple study of a subject.

A paradigm shift is only really possible when you have an experience that allows you to "feel" different not just think different.
  24. Anonymous Member

In case you haven't heard, Delphi Academy of Los Angeles is holding its annual Commencement Exercises for the graduating Class of 2009 on Saturday, June 13th at 10:00am. The keynote speaker this year is Nancy Cartwright (the voice of Bart Simpson). You are all invited to attend this inspirational send-off of the graduating class! Please RSVP 818-583-1070. Love to see you all there
    Ben Atwood

------------------------

hmmm I wonder if Nancy knows he killed himself?
  25. Anonymous Member

QFT, ChrisAnon.
    Can you imagine coming to the realization that your personal influence had ruined someone else's life?
    How about several hundred people's lives?
    How about several hundred thousand people's lives?
    David Miscavige, can you answer this one?
  26. Re: Steve Brackett - OT - commits suicide

Does David Miscavige have even a scrap of conscience left, I wonder?
  27. Buttons Member

Raised in scientology, does David Miscavige even know what a conscience is?
  28. Anonymous Member

BRACKETT'S DAUGHTER ATTENDED LA DELPHI IN 2005.
    BRACKETT'S EX-FIANCE (BARTMAN) WILL BE SPEAKING.
    SCILONS SHOULD NOT LIE ABOUT WHAT THEY DID TO THIS MAN.
  29. Anonymous Member

Any dox? I haven't located any current info on their website
  30. Anonymous Member

31. Anonymous Member

Looks correct. On the delphiLA website, last year date and time matches... From 2008:
  32. lothar Member

GTFO, that Eric was born before 1965. Steve (the father) was born around 1955 or so.

His scilon profile only mentions one DAUGHTER. That Dan blog only describes two daughters. (I think Karen had a kid from prior marriage)

NYPA faggot.
  33. YAHRLY Member

WE SHOULD BE ENCOURAGING ALL SCIFAGS TO FOLLOW THIS MAN'S EXAMPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!
  34. Anonymous Member

Who's side are you on? You want everyone to donate millions to "charity" slush fund not earmarked for any particular use. And then jump of bridges? Sounds to me like you like the institution but hate the people.
  35. TheStig Member

You accuse me of hubris and then of "robbing humanity of its humanity"? lulz. Word clear "hubris", will ya?

Man, and all other evolved creatures are far from an accident, they are the result of at least 600 million years of successful multi-cellular evolution. There are no "and ye shall have dominion" differences between us and other animals. That type of attitude would be a bit...what's the word...arrogant? prideful? supercilious? Fuck, wait, wasn't there a word in Greek to describe this "we are better than every other living creature" type of feeling you accuse atheists of not having?

The difference between man and non-man is a gradual transition. There is more genetic diversity in each primate species than there is between different primate species.

I don't say these things because someone wrote it in a book, I say them because they are demonstrable scientific facts, reproducible by anyone with the equipment to do so. Atheists, and their cousins the skeptics, reject the notion of deities simply because there is no evidence. There is no set of falsifiable evidence for any gods, or Santa Claus, or body thetans, or any other religious claim, so we chose to dismiss that as an explanation. Show us the evidence, back it up with something reproducible and we will believe in Zeus or Xenu or Vishnu or the FSM. Until then, religion's unsubstantiated claims are the province of carnival barkers and other charlatans (like Hubbard). In other words, dox or GTFO.

Religion requires faith, and the only thing atheists have faith in is our (humanity's) ability to understand and come to terms with reality, no matter how weird it gets. This life is the only one we get (from all available evidence), and we must make the most of it.

Contrast that with Steve Brackett's religious idea that he can just hit the "reset" button and come back in a new body. Or the christian's idea that they will be welcomed into the ever-loving arms of the lard upon their death. Or the Islamic extremist's view of "BRB, 72 Virgins".

Who's arrogant in this scenario?
  36. Smurf Member

Wonder if Eric is a brother of the victim. His Facebook page lists a whole lot of Scilons as friends and Applied Scholastics as his only cause.
  37. xenubarb Member

No reset button? WTF?
    GAME OVER, MAN!
  38. TheStig Member

:rolleyes: Great. Why don't we put her in charge?!?
  39. Ann O'Nymous Member

Genetics is not everything. Even part of atheists consider that there is "something special" about humanity.
    No. If there is a proof of any divinity, it is no more a question of belief.

TL;DR I agree with most of what you say, but I suggest that you are more careful in your choice of words.
  40. A.Non Hubbard Member

Why does existence need an ultimate, unifying meaning? Are your emotions any less real, are your thoughts any less real, or is life itself any less real because there's no tl;dr summary at the end?

(If this is thread derailing we can take it to PM)