Customize

Spring Hill drug rehab center aka Narconon Florida Denied Permit to Expand

Discussion in 'Narconon' started by patriot75, Apr 3, 2013.

1. patriot75 Member

Spring Hill drug rehab center will have to go through county to expand, judge rules

BROOKSVILLE — A federal judge has denied a request by the operator of a Spring Hill drug rehabilitation center to force Hernando County to give the center a permit to expand.
    With the denial, U.S. District Judge James D. Whittemore closed the case filed against the county in 2011 by Toucan Partners LLC, the owner of the property, and Narconon Spring Hill Inc., the operator of the program.

Suncoast Rehabilitation Center on Cessna Drive in Spring Hill announced a month ago plans to expand from 27 to 60 beds. According to a news release, a larger facility would help meet the increased demand for services under the federal Affordable Care Act.

With the judge's ruling, the owner of the center will have to go back through the county Planning and Zoning Commission to argue for the expansion. No application for a special use permit has been received by the county, said Ron Pianta, assistant administrator for planning and development.
    Toucan Partners sought to expand from 22 to 54 beds in 2009. But residents surrounding the 3-acre parcel were adamant that a drug rehab center was not compatible with their neighborhood.

The Planning and Zoning Commission approved the permit, but it was overturned several weeks later by the County Commission. Undaunted, the center sued the county first in circuit court, then in federal court.

Earlier this year, a jury found Hernando County guilty of intentional discrimination against Narconon under the federal Fair Housing Act.

Other counts of the federal suit were settled in the county's favor, and, while Toucan Partners and Narconon sought $6.24 million in damages, the jury awarded just $74,000 and attorney's fees to Narconon. The jury awarded nothing to Toucan Partners.

The amount of attorney's fees has not yet been determined.

After the verdict, Narconon filed a motion for an injunction to force the county to approve the permit allowing the expansion.

But the judge decided that "Narconon has not demonstrated a substantial likelihood that the county will continue to act in a discriminatory manner."

The judge also noted that it was Narconon, which won a portion of what it sought in the lawsuit, seeking the injunction; it had been the property owner — Toucan Partners — that had sought the original permit, and Toucan lost its claims in the lawsuit.

Narconon's attorney, Ethan Loeb, did not return a call or an email seeking comment on the outcome.
    Narconon is a drug rehabilitation program based on the teachings of L. Ron Hubbard, founder of the Church of Scientology, and is financially supported by Scientologists.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/localg...l-have-to-go-through-county-to-expand/2112989
    • Like Like x 8
  2. wolfbane Member

Just when you thought the popcorn factor on this front was done, Hernando County gets a parting gift from Judge Whittemore. Nice.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Anonymous Member

This made me laugh. Narconon will have a fucking awful time trying to use this argument to get approval for their expansion. This is because the ACA doesn't apply to out-of-network benefits. And, last I checked, they weren't in network with major carriers, so this is a non-argument.
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Quentinanon Member

Because NarCONon is not the "church of scientology", they cannot make the preferential claims under the Religious Land Use and Institutionalized Persons Act. So, they are obligated to go through the Hernando County Board of Commissioners for permitting. One would think that OSA would get the message, "Hernando County does not want you here. Shove off."
    Spring Hill NarCONon will never have friendly neighbors or a friendly county government. In Hernando County, they know a cancer when they see it.
    • Like Like x 3
  5. wolfbane Member

Yeah, but where will they send the "students" from Georgia and Oklahoma when those facilities are forced to shut down. Perhaps they're planning ahead. ;)
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Quentinanon Member

Exactly. Remember that the NarCONon in Clearwater shut down last year. Miscavige is consolidating his assets.
    • Like Like x 3
  7. DeathHamster Member

That's like the story of the man sheltering from hard rain by standing under a tree. Eventually the rain will seep through the leaves and drench him, but he's not worried. He'll just move over to the next tree...
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Anonymous Member

Thursday 2pm - Narconon stats hit David Miscavige's desk . . .

nouva4.png
    • Like Like x 3
  9. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 3
  10. RightOn Member

deelish!
  11. Anonymous Member

12. RightOn Member

"Earlier this year, a jury found that Hernando County violated the federal Fair Housing Act by intentionally discriminating against Narconon."

fuck no.
    Discriminating against thieves and liars was the correct response by Hernando County.
    When numerous people die in a sister location that offers the identical program, a whole lot of discriminating should be going on. To hear that Narconon was awarded even one dime is disturbing.
    They were awarded $74,000. Not what they were bucking for, but like I said, a dime would have been too much.
    • Like Like x 3
  13. Marc Pierre Member

Spring Hill drug rehab center aka Narconon Florida Denied Permit to Expand. But they still are doing good.

Linkage to something to prove your statement would be nice.
  15. Rod Keller Member

I think I have the wrong location on this one. There's no way they had 27 beds in this, and it's not three acres. 8213 Cessna Dr. Spring Hill, Florida. Does anybody have another address?

spring.jpg
  16. Anonymous Member

All I know for sure is it is on Cessna Dr.
  17. Rod Keller Member

spring.jpg

No, that's it. It matches the photo on their web site. 48 ft. x 62 ft. One story, 27 beds.
  18. wolfbane Member

That is the correct address that has consistently shown up on ripoff report complaints and legal proceedings in recent years, although they use the "Suncoast" namebrand more often than Narconon nowadays.

If you post over on RFTTP forums, Eric Tenorio ("10oriocookies") can likely comment as to the size of the facility and property since that was one of the rehabs he personally worked at before turning whistle blower.

http://forum.reachingforthetippingpoint.net/index.php?topic=12324.0
    • Like Like x 2
  19. amaX Member

That's it. The CW Cell took a trip to look at it one time.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Anonymous Member

The 990's for narconon florida list the following addresses:

22073 US HWY 19 NORTH
    Clearwater fl 33765-2364

611 S FT Harrison AVE
    clearwater Fl 33756

1230 S. Myrtle Avenue Suite 404(this is the spring hill form 990)
    clearwater FL 33756

3391 scenic Highway 98 east
    destin fl 32541

The spring hill 990 is fishy.

Correction:

All the fucking narconon 990's are fishy. IRS needs to fire some people for gross incompetence or for taking bribes. Heaven help them if one of the tea party groups they gave a hard time to caught wind of this: that they ignored very suspicious non-profits, yet went after their groups.

Anyway, I hope this building is not part of narconon, because its not listed anywhere on their taxes.
  21. Rod Keller Member

There are two buildings in the facility. I drew their perimeter fence. It still looks small for 27 beds.

spring.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  22. amaX Member

Not if you've got 'em stacked like pancakes. They lie about everything else. Why wouldn't they lie about capacity? Remember: scilon maths is HARD!
    • Like Like x 1
  23. BigBeard Member

Okay, I used the Florida Business Entity Search to get the following on narCONon Spring Hill:

I then checked the the listed Employer Identification Number (EIN) in the IRS Select Check for Exempt Organizations and got:

And a check on the ERI Nonprofit Organization shows EIN 26315193 as Narconon Spring Hill Inc, 1230 S MYRTLE AVE STE 404, CLEARWATER, FL 33756-3457, with Form 990's filed for 2008 and 2010. Keep in mind 990's filed after 2010 may not show up on this site yet. A check on The Foundation Center site also shows a 990 filed for 2011.

So there is in fact a significant issue going on with the address for this place, as the Cessna Drive address is nowhere to be found in narCONon Spring Hills IRS info.

BigBeard

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  24. anon walker Moderator

Doing good, or doing well?
    • Like Like x 1
  25. anon walker Moderator

No it isn't. You just throw a couple zeroes on the end of your number, and voila! Scilon math!
    • Like Like x 3
  26. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 1
  27. DeathHamster Member

That's only 9 triple-decker bunk beds.
  28. Rod Keller Member

I would expect that for a Sea Org. Narconon patients are not SO, and I never heard of any berthings. But you are correct, it could be done.
  29. Anonymous Member

Bigbeard,

The 2011 990's have been made available in the UBI discussion thread. These are the most recent public disclosure ones for all of narconon. They are disturbingly shady. Please review at your leisure.
    • Like Like x 1
  30. BigBeard Member

I've been reviewing all the NN 990's I could track down for most of a year now, trying to track down crossflows of moneys via "grants", etc., and "disturbingly shady" is an understatement if I ever heard one. I may have to upgrade to a 64bit machine with a couple of terabytes of RAM to handle the crosslinked databases and spreadsheets that keep growing from this mess.

BigBeard
    • Like Like x 3
  31. Anonymous Member

If you happen to find any CCHR 900s, can you perhaps post them into this thread?

https://whyweprotest.net/community/...everything-co-charges-money-for.114275/page-5

For the sake of comparison to a real charitable organization, check out the Betty Ford 990 in the thread I linked for for you:

https://whyweprotest.net/community/...-charges-money-for.114275/page-4#post-2388577

If you're short of time, here's the Betty Ford 990 PDF:

EDIT: If you have more than 18 NN 990 PDFs, I would like to see a complete list of those.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  32. Anonymous Member

One thing you will not see in any of the CON!!! 990's, is a mention of financial aid. This is a very big deal, because for a non-profit, there is very little evidence that they are taking a loss, or do any service for little to no cost. Yet when you look at other non-profit rehabs, Financial aid is on the top of their mission statement. The other thing to look at with the betty ford 990 is that they train doctors. This is very significant, because it represents an outside group getting exposure to how they operate, and is a form of oversight. Yet with the CON!!! 990s, i have yet to find any non-scientology group involved with anything major(there was a roofer mentioned as a contractor, and i am verifying if they are scilon or not)

Evidence of fraud is in the 990s. I think its been ignored for so long, because they have been "legitimate" since the 70's, so they would not set off any red flags at the IRS.
    • Like Like x 1
  33. Rod Keller Member

501(c)(3) on-profits in the US are supposed to be for charitable or educational purposes. However, there is no requirement that they give away their products or services to anybody. Some non-profits strain the definition by a lot, such as the National Football League. Groups get in trouble when they are formed for the benefit of other, for-profit entities or individuals, or they spend money on politics or non-charitable, non-educational activities. Unfortunately, if they send money to non-profits, such as CSI, IAS, ABLE, etc, that is probably acceptable. This is how the United Way works, except they donate to actual charities. It's not a good non-profit, but I think they are unlikely to have a problem with the IRS with their current set-up.
  34. BigBeard Member

NightOwl,

I have 990's on just about all of the Cof$ front groups. I started with just NN, but there is so much cross feeding between the groups I had to expand my "portfolio", so to speak. I don't want to post too much of what I'm finding here yet, for obvious reasons. I'm also having to take a break on the research until after the holidays due to a combination of moving to a new house, and family get togethers.

If you're just looking to find the 990's themselves, the primary sites I've been using are:

ERI: http://www.eri-nonprofit-salaries.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=NPO.Search

Foundation Center: http://www.eri-nonprofit-salaries.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=NPO.Search

NCCS: http://nccsdataweb.urban.org/PubApps/search.php

GuideStar is also okay, but I've found things missing that were in one of the above. There are also a few others, but these are the main sources I use.

Oh! One thing to keep an eye out for are "loans" from the 990 entity to corporate officers of that entity. Some strange goings on there.

BigBeard
    • Like Like x 2
  35. Anonymous Member

Thank you for the links. I'll work with those. I'm seeking a 990 for any NN located in or around Las Vegas.

Yes, the hinky loans have been noted and recorded. The one for Mary Reiser cracked me up.
  36. Anonymous Member

Actually this is a huge deal. United way is pretty open about the way it handles its money. I will post united way 990's if people want to see their mission statement. I will also see if i can dig up some NFL 990's now.

The mission statement is the smoking gun here. Narconon claims to be for rehab purposes. Yet substantial sums of money are sent away for non-rehab reasons. This by itself is not a big deal, though if brought up, may cause them to be either put under closer scrutiny(audited) or to loose their status. However when combined with everything else we know, it becomes a very damning piece of evidence. The deaths, the insurance fraud accusations, the questionable "treatment" they provide. At the moment, if we were to collate all the evidence we had here, and push for a DOJ fraud investigation, I believe that narconon would be shut down, and people would be sent to jail.
  37. Rod Keller Member

I think they should be. IRS or DOJ or somebody.
  38. DeathHamster Member

39. The Wrong Guy Member

Federal appeal court overturns decision on Hernando rehab center | Tampa Bay Times

Hernando County got off relatively easy last year when a jury levied just $74,000 in penalties after finding the county discriminated against a Scientology-affiliated drug rehab center in Spring Hill that wanted to expand.

Even with the $425,000 in legal fees and other costs, the award was far less than the $6.2 million sought by Narconon Spring Hill, which operates the program, and Toucan Partners LLC, the owners of the Suncoast Rehabilitation Center on Cessna Drive.

But Narconon appealed the decision and, on Tuesday, a federal appeals court ruled in its favor.

Citing an error in jury instructions, the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals has partially reversed the district court's January 2013 decision and sent the case back for a new trial to reexamine damages.

It's a ruling that opens up the case to a jury again and potentially means the county could be hit with greater damage estimate.

"You don't know what to expect," said county risk manager Cristi Charlow.

She said the county is processing the decision.

"We're still trying to determine what options are available to us and what avenues we can go down," she said.
    During the previous trial, Narconon's damages expert testified the company suffered $6,244,108 in damages after county commissioners denied an application to expand Suncoast Rehabilitation Center. The expert said the company would lose about $731,000 a year from 2012. Meanwhile, the county's expert said Narconon didn't suffer any damages.

The court erred by instructing jurors that the plaintiff has a duty to mitigate its damages, according to the appeals court's decision. That instruction shouldn't have been given because it wasn't supported by evidence and the proposed mitigation wasn't reasonable, according to the court.

The conflict dates to 2009.

In January 2009, Narconon and Toucan Partners submitted an application to the county for permission to construct three new buildings, increasing the number of beds to 54 from 22. The Planning and Zoning Commission approved the application. Later that year, county commissioners reviewed the application at a hearing and rejected it.

Narconon and Toucan Partners filed a complaint in June 2011, alleging the county intentionally discriminated against them in violation of the Fair Housing Act. The jury found the county liable for discriminating against Narconon, but not Toucan Partners. They awarded Narconon $74,490 in damages.

Since that decision, the county has given Narconon the go-ahead to expand its facilities.

Source:
    http://tbtpics.tampabay.com/news/co...rns-decision-on-hernando-rehab-center/2187103
    • Like Like x 2
  40. JohnnyRUClear Member

"Stand and deliver! Your money, or your money and your life!"
    --Hubbardites