Customize

Specific Laws, Prosecution, Scientology Practices

Discussion in 'Think Tank' started by Robert S, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Robert S Member

Specific Laws, Prosecution, Scientology Practices

I haven't seen this yet. Ignore if duplicated.

Specifically to the RPF, Freeloader Debt and "Blown Staff" being chased down and returned to their orgs, there are three sections of the US Code that could apply. Primarily presented as sex trafficking statutes, the language seems to address specific instances opened by the Rehabilitation Project Force and other ways in which Scientology "deals" with its staff.

Reference:
    http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/crim/1581fin.htm

Excerpts of summaries (peonage = likened to involuntary servitude):

Section 1581 of Title 18 makes it unlawful to hold a person in "debt servitude," or peonage, which is closely related to involuntary servitude. Section 1581 prohibits using force, the threat of force, or the threat of legal coercion to compel a person to work against his/her will. In addition, the victim's involuntary servitude must be tied to the payment of a debt.

Section 1584 of Title 18 makes it unlawful to hold a person in a condition of slavery, that is, a condition of compulsory service or labor against his/her will. A Section 1584 conviction requires that the victim be held against his/her will by actual force, threats of force, or threats of legal coercion. Section 1584 also prohibits compelling a person to work against his/her will by creating a "climate of fear" through the use of force, the threat of force, or the threat of legal coercion [i.e., If you don't work, I'll call the immigration officials.] which is sufficient to compel service against a person's will.

Section 1589 of Title 18, which was passed as part of the TVPA, makes it unlawful to provide or obtain the labor or services of a person through one of three prohibited means. Congress enacted § 1589 in response to the Supreme Court’s decision in United States v. Kozminski, 487 U.S. 931 (1988 ), which interpreted § 1584 to require the use or threatened use of physical or legal coercion. Section 1589 broadens the definition of the kinds of coercion that might result in forced labor.

In addition, specific to passports etc.:
    Summary: Section 1592 makes it illegal to seize documents in order to force others to work. By expanding its coverage to false documents as well as official documents, § 1592 recognizes that victims are often immobilized by the withholding of whatever documents they possess, even if the documents are forged or fraudulent. Section 1592 expands the scope of federal trafficking statutes to reach those who prey on the vulnerabilities of immigrant victims by controlling their papers.

I'm not an attorney, nor do I play one on TV (dammit), but can we use this?

At some point the pickets and demonstrations will reach a maximum effect. The real (FINAL) battle could very well be waged through the law and our law makers.