Customize

Some cleanup and indexing/summarizing?

Discussion in 'Support Questions' started by Anon752, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Anon752 Member

Some cleanup and indexing/summarizing?

HALP

If you look at the How To subforum you will see I did some basic cleanup. Thread titles are more standard in the sticky threads. And a lot more threads are stickied. These are the ones I thought should probably be included in some kind of master list.

I was also thinking about some sort of global "lurk moar" thread. That would appear at the top of every forum/sub-forum. This would mostly be for newbies, but could also be for regulars to keep up with stuff. With the size of the forum at this point it is really tough to tell someone to lurk moar when that means 500k posts to go through. I've seen a few people call for a thread like this in posts. So the idea would be just a simple list of the most important threads you should read and why. Ending with the two important threads going forward which I think would be the master how-to list thread (not created yet) and the current projects thread.

So 2 new threads get made and one old thread gets updated. Then we global announce the main one that lists everything off.

1. Create How To master thread, unsticky all the stuck threads in there. Have the master one list off the most important How Tos and a sentance or two about why it should be read.

2. Create a thread that helps the newbies instead of just telling them lurk moar. It would probably also be good for press. This thread would contain a short description of what it is attempting to accomplish then a list of threads and a short writeup of why you should read it (one or two sentances at most.) At the end of it would be the "important information going forward" section with the current projets thread link and the link to the how tos master thread.

If I made no sense in this, dont worry, thats normal. Anyone have any ideas? changes to this? Lets figure something out and get it going. I just want a place to send most people that will help them get started here.
  2. ARC Member

Re: Some cleanup and indexing/summarizing?

Understood and fully supported. Perhaps these lurk more threads also should be linked from somewhere on the front page?
  3. Anon752 Member

Yeah I was thinking some kind of global announcement so it would be at the top of every forum.
  4. Throe Member

I heartily agree with this idea. It would be a great help.

Maybe a master thread for dox on specific issues, as well? Or is that getting too greedy?
  5. Anon752 Member

Well I think its up to whoever is willing to help get the threads together. If we can get all the info together and have some people who can actually write intelligently get something done it would be great.
  6. Anon752 Member

Bump for any help anyone wants to offer before we just start actually doing this?
  7. Nataku Member

8. Fuckeye Member

With regards to the 'Master How To' thread, I think all the current stickies in the How To subforum would cover most things any newbies would need to know - possibly including the Anon Free Tech thread in there too.
  9. Anoniemert Member

Resources can use a similar treatment.
    Right now it consists of the resources parent forum with two children.
    "Banners&video" is just about empty, I suggest merging it into th3 parent forum.
    "Fliers and pamphlets" can probably be merged into the parent forum as well as it's contents are pretty much the same.

Resources also really needs an index sticky with an OP that links to the various resources we have (vectors, fliers, artwork, etc.)
    In my view requests for imagery should never happen because anon imagery is readily available.
    I would volunteer for making an index thread but my time is short and I cant promise a timely write up or consistent updating of OP.

I would also suggest moving resources to the activism section.
  10. Anon752 Member

I agree with this. I think we need to update the free tech thread a bit before putting it in, but it should be included.
  11. Re: Some cleanup and indexing/summarizing?

Yea great idea, make it even harder for someone to find what there are looking for.
  12. Anonymous Member

Nah, I'd agree with the idea of condensing it all into one subforum. It's obvious what kind of things are going to be in Resources, and if they're all in one place, can be easily found by scrolling. Or, you know, this thing called a Search.
  13. Re: Some cleanup and indexing/summarizing?

really it just needs categorizing better, such as

=Fliers/Pamphlets
    =Signs/Banners
    =Music/Audio
    =Letters and Press Releases
  14. Ann O'Nymous Member

So, if I understand correctly, anyone can create a "Lurk moar: Name of the sub-forum" thread containing a list of the most important threads, with links that would be stickied ?

Additions and substractions could be suggested and OP would adapt the content accordingly.

IMHO, identifying useful / interesting posts would be very helpful, but might be added afterwards, due to the work involved, for instance in the thread summary.

[egotrip]So, it would be something like this or this ? [/egotrip]
  15. Anonymous Member

Far from it. There aren't really enough threads to warrant the sub-forums, and if a 'master' thread was created with links to the various most useful topics, newbies could find what they wanted just as easily.
  16. Anon752 Member

Agreed. I think the suggestions are correct and a master list is the right way to go.
  17. Anon752 Member

Sounds about right. All it would need is a good structure and a good start. Do a little research into the subforum you are doing it to and then post. Make sure to ask for help so people post some suggested threads you can add, and keep it up.

Once we have the ones we've talked about we can then start on the big one that is a global notice so every user can see it.

Sound good?
  18. Ann O'Nymous Member

Yes.
  19. Ann O'Nymous Member

20. Anonymous Member

I just added a couple of updates/more options for people. Anything in particular that needs doing to it?
  21. Anon752 Member

I was just refering to out of date version links that might exist, or newer tools that have replaced older ones.

I dont have time right now to look it over. I will tonight though. I will make any suggestions I can.
  22. Anoniemert Member

Yes, that is exactly what I meant with an "index sticky".
  23. FUCK Member

i like this version of it.
  24. lucifuge Member

We can use thread prefixes to indicate different content instead of using sub forums as well.

You can filter by thread prefixes.
  25. Anon752 Member

Lurk moar: CoS front groups - Why We Protest | Activism Forum

That thread is a perfect example of what each sub-forum needs. Then we need a master thread thats stuck on top of everything for newbies (or just anyone researching) to use.

Anyone working on any others? I have some time set aside for friday afternoon to try and work on a couple.
  26. Ann O'Nymous Member

This was an easy one, as the content allows a structured presentation. Others might be slightly more messy. I will try to do a couple before the week-end and annonce them here.

EDIT I start "Personal & Fair Game" right now.
  27. Anon752 Member

Ann's threads are both sticky, bold, big and red. People should see them now.
  28. Ann O'Nymous Member

I really hope that there is no innuendo here... (;o)
  29. Anon752 Member

Another horribly shameless bump...