Customize

So what exactly does this accomplish?

Discussion in 'Freedom of Expression' started by Anonymous, Feb 4, 2011.

1. lulzgasm Member

Actually, he would've been gunning them down DDOS or no DDOS. That's what dictators do when they become desperate and/or paranoid. And again (how many times do I have to fucking say this before it sinks in?) I don't DDOS.

I also said that DDOSing alone amounts to little or nothing. But there was a whole lot more than just DDOSing going on.

Nice of you to notice. [/sarcasm]
  2. Anonymous Member

That's actually kind of my point in the first place.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. lulzgasm Member

What wits? Did I miss something? Anyone else see any wits on his part? Because I sure didn't.
  4. lulzgasm Member

I'll concede that part. But I have a question? What is your arguments (if any) against it being a part of the overall totality of the various different actions combined?
  5. Anonymous Member

Can you say that again in English, perhaps?
  6. lulzgasm Member

And as long as you continue to believe that about yourself, you will never become part of the solution and only remain a part of the problem.
  7. lulzgasm Member

Uh....that was in English....
  8. Anonymous Member

As long as there are dumbasses like OP, who get mega annoyed just because a bunch of basement dwellers with LOIC get more media attention and credit than they possibly deserve, DDOS will be effective.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. lulzgasm Member

He shoots! He scooooooooores!!!!

You made that point better than I could have. :)
  10. Anonymous Member

Except it made no goddamn sense. I have no m/u's of any of the words you used, just the way you put them together.
  11. lulzgasm Member

The overall effect of the total actions combined, including the DDOS.

Sry. My tired wee brain failed to spot the grammarical obfuscation of.....
    Ugh! I'm doing it again....I need a proofreader.
  12. OhSah Member

Stop pretending to be smarter than you really are, it's obnoxious.
  13. Anonymous Member

Well this time take the cock out of your ear first.
  14. OhSah Member

No one answered my post, how funny.
  15. lulzgasm Member

Actually I was pretending to be dumber than I really am. Not that you noticed, apparently.
  16. lulzgasm Member

But it feels so good....
    Thust, baby, thrust!
  17. lulzgasm Member

So, shall we cease with all the verbal sparring now and get to the point of how this thread is actually moot?

WWP can no more stop the DDOSers than Mubarak can manage crowd control. And he had guns!
  18. Anonymous Member

Works for me.
  19. Anonymous Member

There is no leaderfagging WBM this time.
  20. Anonymous Member

Richard Stallman is the new leader of Anonymous.
  21. eddieVroom Member

Your story has grown tiresome.

22. Stickman Member

Hope this debate isn't dead, the relevance and timing of cyberactivism tactics like DDoS and other aggressive online efforts seems important to me, but them I'm definitely just an interested outsider (although one with years of human rights campaigning in Africa and elsewhere). So maybe y'all have had this same debate 100 times and i just missed the other 99. But to get back to my point about the speed and intensity of protest necessary to dethrone entrenched elites, here's a sad analysis from today's Arabist:
    ====================
    Issandr El Amrani [IMG]February 7, 2011 at 2:15 PM [IMG]Share

One-time contributor of the blog Joshua Stacher writes in Foreign Affairs:

Despite the tenacity, optimism, and blood of the protesters massed in Tahrir Square, Egypt's democratic window has probably already closed.
    Contrary to the dominant media narrative, the Egyptian state did not experience a regime breakdown. The protests certainly rocked the system and had Mubarak on his heels, but at no time did the uprising seriously threaten Egypt's regime. Although many of the protesters, foreign governments, and analysts have concentrated on the personality of Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak, those surrounding the embattled president, who make up the wider Egyptian regime, made sure the state's viability was never in question. This is because the country's central institution, the military, which historically has influenced policy and commands near-monopolistic economic interests, never balked.
    I'm not as pessimistic as Dr. Josh. I think the window is closing but there is still time to make major gains — the only thing is that the opposition must move quickly and coherently.
    ====================
    That last sentence captures it completely - the Egyptian populist leaders must move quickly and coherently to achieve their aims (ouster of Mubarak, improvement of everyday Egyptians' lives & rights) and in any campaign, your aims inform you as to the best tactics. To my mind, in the recent Mideast uprisings, Anon's public actions have been exemplary and the DDoS attack(s) fit perfectly with the Egyptians' efforts.

I would of course not say that it's always the best tactic in the hacktivist toolbox, but I don't know what all those tools are either. I'll just say that in a good number of campaigns I've run against elites reluctant to give up their sweet, corrupt, illegal lifestyle, I would have loved to have a wild card like disruptions of an entire country's top websites or other comms at key moments in negotiations. I'm hoping Anon fires at least one more good shot across the bow at Mubarak and I absolutely would not lay a single act of violence against protesters or journos at Anon's door, that shit is on Mubarak and the other human rights violators he employs to oppress Egyptians.
    • Like Like x 1
  23. Anonymous Member

You just said a hell of a lot of nothing.
    I've read this over at least a few times and I still can't figure out how DDoS attacks have actually helped anyone. You didn't even really bother to explain it. You just typed a bunch of fluff about how Mubarak is bad, but failed to connect the dots between any claims of progress with DDoS attacks. The closest explanation I've gathered out of this entire thread is that anon is shitting in the rice krispies of governments & corporations.
  24. Stickman Member

Put up all the mental filters you want, I don't care if I penetrate them or not. It's up to you to decide how you want to process information and create the story you tell yourself. Clearly, nobody on this board knows what Mubarak is thinking nor does there appear to be any leaked comms that indicate how he, the MoI, the army or other significant Egyptian decision makers took the ddos attack. Hopefully that will eventually be revealed, that would of course be proof one way or the other.

Failing that, you look at the history of other, similar uprisings and find that, yes, shitting in the elite's punchbowl does actually have an effect, if well-timed and well-placed. I could tell you another real-life experience (or 5) I've successfully had with those kinds of tactics and you could respond with snark, based on whatever impulse you have and probably no personal experience or scholarship, but I still won't convince you or you me. Political pressure gets created in many, many ways, fucking with an insecure regimes technological infrastructure is not an insignificant one of these.
    • Like Like x 1
  25. lulzgasm Member

Is the fail troll replying anonymously still trolling? Stickman actually has it right, and it's easy to tell he speaks from experience. Also, an article from CFR (who often has inside info the rest of us don't have access to) regarding Egypt should definitely be taken into consideration (and I say this as someone who doesn't often trust the CFR's agendas).