Customize

SLR camera advice?

Discussion in 'How To' started by Horseradish, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Horseradish Member

Hai folks,

I was wondering if anyone could offer advice on SLRs (bodies and lenses) to make a good kit for an Anon activist. I'm seeking to buy Canon, probably, as I'm most familiar with their UIs, have a Canon speedlite flash etc. - but I haven't touched SLR since the pre-digital days. (Advice on cameras/lenses to steer clear of also welcome.) I'm vaguely aware of the half frame/full frame issue with digital SLR, and how that will influence lens selection.
  2. Anonymous Member

I have a Lumix. I got it when they first came out ('02). I don't know how they are now, but I haven't been impressed with mine and wouldn't recommend it unless they've cleaned up a lot of bugs. It's pretty much just a doorstop now and I've gone back to point-n-clicks...less bits to fall off...
  3. DeathHamster Member

Don't ask me. I buy cameras a couple years off the mark at a discount warehouse. I'm happy with my Canon PowerShot 590IS for photos and video. If I bought more camera than that, I'd have to learn to use it on more than the idiot setting.

Which reminds me, you can hack some Canon cameras.
    http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK
  4. Anonymous Member

Anon above you^^^ ...That's the same camera I have now! We've had it since '08 or so. We got it to replace the testy Lumix and it works freaking great. Very simple, but with some cool features. I know someone else who swears by theirs as well. Don't know if it's true for all canons, but I would recommend that model.