Customize

SF: epic state of the insurgency adress in german

Discussion in 'Translation and Text Composition Projects' started by indeedindeed, Aug 18, 2008.

1. indeedindeed Member

SF: epic state of the insurgency address in german

original here: THE ANONYMOUS REVOLUTION: ANONYMOUS DELIVERS STATE OF THE INSURGENCY ADDRESS

YouTube - SF Anon Speech Made of Awesome

update: read good version here Why We Protest | Activism Forum - View Single Post - SF: epic state of the insurgency adress in german

first draft follows, enjoy! As always, feel free to make suggestions.

2. Rihan Member

Re: SF: epic state of the insurgency address in german

Grama Nazi says:
    Misversteht nicht, was hier geschieht. Dies ist eine Revolution aller Kinder des Internet. Wo auch immer Ihr herkommt, wo auch immer Ihr den Ruf vernommen habt, es ist nur wichtig, dass Ihr hier seid und nicht weggehen werdet, bis Eure Stimme gehört wurde.

can't hear the vid (i am at work) but this sentence makes no sense.
    I says:
    The fragmentation of the church is our bigest achievement.

Better use:
    Kehrt zurück, zu welch dunklen Plätze es auch sein mögen, aus denen ihr im Internet gekommen seid.

i think you wantet to say:
    to spread like wildfire
    So use:
    Verbreitet die gute Nachricht wie ein Lauffeuer, dass Anonymous in diesem Kampf bestehen kann und wird.

unerläuterte is an adjective so you have it to write with a small u in german^^
    Use:
    Das Komplexe wird einfach erklärt werden, das unerläuterte wird erläutert

We usw the english term because of reason, so should you!

Hope i could help you out a little.
  3. indeedindeed Member

Re: SF: epic state of the insurgency adress in german

Thanks, I'll correct it like you said, except for some points

I disagree, because what we have here is "das Unerläuterte", and that's why I think "Unerläuterte" is similar to "Komplexe" in that it is a noun derived from an adjective. Adjectives don't have articles afaik.

I agree that it doesn't make much sense, but what would you suggest as an alternative? "Zersplitterung"? Maybe "Erfolg" instead of "Errungenschaft"?

"Die Zersplitterung der Kirche ist unser größter Erfolg"?

Sorry, I don't get what you're saying here. Which part of what you quoted was incorrectly translated, why and how should it be translated instead?
  4. Sock Puppet Member

Its not a church over here, so dont call it Kirche, call it what it is - Kult.
    I dont see splinters from the cult anywhere, dispersal "Auflösung" would fit better, but i would say thats not an achievement yet, its a goal.

The translation is perfect, but he means it sounds/reads bumpy in German, so we tend to use the original english version.
  5. indeedindeed Member

Ok, I see. But won't readers be confused if there's suddenly something in english in a german document?

Of course, another possibility would be:

Ok, but if we decide on using part of the english original, which part do we use and which not?

Like this:

or like this:

or like this:

or like this:

I'll replace "Kirche" with "Kult". I agree that it's a goal, but that's not what the original is stating. "Auflösung" is ok, but doesn't exactly match "fragmentation", but unless there's something better I'll use it.
  6. Rihan Member

i prefere

We are Anonymous.
    We are Legion.
    We do not forgive.
    We do not forget.

United as one.
    Divided by zero.

Expect us.

its like a slogan and its ok in english^^
  7. indeedindeed Member

ok, I've changed it. In case anyone wants to subtitle the vid, it may be a good idea to change it to some german form for people that watch the video and use subtitles to understand it in contrast to readers.
  8. Sock Puppet Member

^^what he said, we have so many english in our "modern" language and advertisments people wont even notice it.
    And yes it IS a Slogan.
  9. indeedindeed Member

it's a slogan, but not one devoid of meaning, I think the meaning is central. If it doesn't sound good in german, something has gone wrong imho.
    Ok, so I suggest to look again over the text and search for other stuff that should be changed and when we reach the point where we won't find anything, we can let it be as it is and maybe someone can start subtitling this if so desired.
  10. moarxenu Member

Re: SF: epic state of the insurgency address in german

Anonymous bringst.

Great work you guise. The sentence
    "Within the dismantlement of the church lies our greatest achievement thus far." is awkward and ambivalent and should have been something like:

"Beginning the dismantling of the cult has been our greatest achievement thus far."

As for We are Anonymous in German, there are anons (like me) who are curious about how to say all this in German. Also, I think native German speakers with not much of a grasp of English would appreciate a translation.

I favor the all-German version that retains Anonymous and Legion. Anonymous really is our trans-national, cross-lingual name. As for Legion it is a Latin word used in the Greek of the Gospel of Mark at 5:9 and retained in every translation since then:

Markus 5:9 (Luther Bible)

Und er fragte ihn: Wie heißest du? Und er antwortete und sprach: Legion heiße ich; denn unser ist viel.
    And now for a cool discovery I just made writing this. I remembered there was another biblical allusion in the speech: Isaiah 40:4 "Every valley shall be exalted", so I googled "every valley" and "martin luther king" since I knew he was a source of inspiration. Lo and behold, the entire speech is based on MLK's famous I Have A Dream speech.

Dream Speech:

I am happy to join with you today in what will go down in history as the greatest demonstration for freedom in the history of our nation.start of a new chapter in world history.
    Stand des Aufstands:

I am pleased to join with you today in what will go down in history as the start of a new chapter in world history.
    There are many parallels including Isaiah 40:4 -

Alle Täler sollen erhöhet werden (Luther)
    Every valley shall be exalted (King James Version)
    I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted (MLK)
    Ich habe einen Traum, dass eines Tages jedes Tal erhöht (MLK trans.)
    Every switch will be exalted (Anon)

The speech now seems moar epic. The sub-text clearly equates us with nigras against the racist scifag oppressors, and our fight for freedom of speech on the internet to that anti-segregationist struggle of MLK. It's us against "No anon wogs allowed on the internet."

German Wikipedia gets it absolutely correct about the MLK which serves as the model for Stand des Aufstands:

Die Rede wird zu den Meisterwerken der RhetorikAllusionen ExzerpteBibel, der Unabhängigkeitserklärung der USA, der Verfassung der USA, der Erklärung zur Sklavenemanzipation und der Gettysburg-Note, beide von Präsident Lincoln. Durch die Verwendung von Anaphern und die getragene Vortragsweise wirkt die Rede zudem wie eine typische methodistische Predigt.
    It looks like background culture and rhetoric are the big challenge here. I think it would pay to check out the German WKP links to the original and translation of the MLK speech.

Traduttore traditore, but Anon delivers. Continue for great justice.
  11. str Member

FYI: The German "State of the Insurgency Address" was held on November 8th in Munich, Germany. Video will be delivered soon.

I did a massive revision of indeedindeed's translation and put quite some manhours into keeping the faith and message of this ueber-speech. :)

Rapidshit Download: EPIC-Lagebericht_der_Protestbewegung.pdf

Transcript:
  12. Rihan Member

omg str you steach is great, do you mind when we hold it in hamburg on december raid?
  13. indeedindeed Member

that's truly good work, you kept the message's spirit alive and it's much more fluent than before.
  14. anon0004 Member

whats this steach you speak of?

also Str, I want to have children with you, although that is the kind of quotes you´d expect from rihan.
  15. Rihan Member

i take it back! its the sf anons i luv! you are win!
  16. moarxenu Member

str, I have just read your translation and my screen is all blurry. You have done a magnificent job of capturing the spirit of the original. It is now an ueberspeech in both English and German.

Do you have pix and vid from Nov 8 of the speech?

It would be cool to subtitle the original vid in German and also to have German versions.
  17. str Member

there you go, the german 'State of the Insurgency Address' starts at 02:58, trolled at 06:05 and ends at 08:23.