Customize

[Sep 24, 2011] Anonymous vs Scientology Rally (Toronto, Ontario, Canada)

Discussion in 'Planning' started by Durham_Anon1, Aug 15, 2011.

1. TorontosRoot Member

Hoping the one saying they would cover the window with sticky notes doesn't do it. Even if I was lulzing, it's a terrible idea with negative results. I wouldn't want to hear about it.
  2. Anonymous Member

Backpedaling FTW
    • Like Like x 1
  3. TorontosRoot Member

There was a reason why. I said something foolish and as lulzy as it may sound, isn't worth the risk.
  4. ZwartMite Member

Well, Okay. We wont do the sticky note windowing. However,we'll keep em for memory sakes..or just bring em to pass around for a show and tell. Thanks T.R. for bringing this up.
    Anyway, Do we have an ideal location where the protest will take place? Across the street from it would work fine, or even on the corner?
  5. Durham_Anon1 Member

Last mini raid me and Root were asked politely to not protest on the corner adjacent to the country style coffee shop by the owner. He was respectful and talked to us for a bit and even shook our hand. We are trying to get public support so while he admitted "legally" we could stand there, we try our best to avoid any confrontation with the public or any of the surrounding establishments. Me and Root relocated across the street and continued the lulz. We just need to make sure we don't block the sidewalk. So depending on who is working at teh coffee shop (also depending on the owner being there) we can try there first?
  6. TorontosRoot Member

I would always start at the coffee shop (entree) and then move onto the main course (across the street) once asked politely. That's my moto. :)
  7. HellRazor Member

Consider moving the raid to Sunday, September 25, 2011: raid the Org, then hit the Scilon front group's "Applied Scholastics" tent at Word on the Street at Queen's Park? (Or better yet, raid both days!)

http://forums.whyweprotest.net/thre...rd-on-the-street-festival-sept-25-2011.93584/

• Like Like x 1
  8. TorontosRoot Member

Yes, that would be great. I'm down for both! Need to get me lulz on. If I don't have a sign by then, I'll be the camera guy/shoutouter. Anybody else got a loud voice to channel it out? Any orange cones cut to act like a megaphone without batteries? (Ideas here, we need 'em, I can't just :eek: borrow a pylon off of some site), just don't want to risk losing my voice, that's all.
  9. Anonymous Member

Dollarama sells little orange pylons.
  10. TorontosRoot Member

I was kinda thinking a bit bigger than 6 inches. Maybe around the length of 24 inches. Anyone know of any construction sites that are considering discarding some? Even if they're damaged (won't stand up because of missing "feet"). I currently have a newly gutted (bottomless) Wendy's softdrink cup, just in case. it's quite good.
  11. Durham_Anon1 Member

Can't make it on Sunday. If enough people are down I can turn this into a double raid thread?
    • Like Like x 1
  12. TorontosRoot Member

We could get the mods to tag both if possible, or use the link-backs between both so one can see the other.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Durham_Anon1 Member

Sounds good.
  14. Durham_Anon1 Member

What time does the Queens park event end? On sunday I am tied up till about 2. I can try to make it down, but if it ends early it may not be worth the trip as I'll be training in.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. HellRazor Member

11 AM to 6 PM
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Anonymous Member

17. HellRazor Member

18. TorontosRoot Member

Are there any other festivals, upcoming, or free events, that the cult's fronties will possibly be attending? It would make for some lulzy flash raids.

Hmm, if we flash raid this one at Queens Park, I hope the cops don't make us leave. It would be a bummer.
  19. Durham_Anon1 Member

So I will probably get into union station at like 4 or 5....
    Dammit.
  20. TorontosRoot Member

Hoping more anons do show up until you arrive to keep the lulz coming. :)
  21. vavod Member

to lazy T.O. - why leave these to 2 guys always, population of T.O. and only 2 anons?
  22. TorontosRoot Member

Wish there were more toronto anons. So far, only four are persistent, including me.
  23. vavod Member

very well done you!
    • Like Like x 1
  24. Durham_Anon1 Member

25. Durham_Anon1 Member

if it ends at 6 I wont be able to make it. but I'm there fo sho on saturday.
    • Like Like x 1
  26. Durham_Anon1 Member

My thoughts exactly. Rick Astley would facepalm TO, but Rick I will nevar give them up or let them down. As always me and Root will be there and hopefully the others that claim to come will actually show. I've rallied some other Anons via twitter and Chanology 2.0 so let's wait and see. Who knows? If Anon is happy, caek!
    • Like Like x 2
  27. Anonymous Member

me too
    • Like Like x 2
  28. TorontosRoot Member

Got a response from the event manager of word on the street:

Good evening,

I would first like to begin by thanking you for getting in touch and sharing
    your concerns with us. We do value hearing feedback from the community.

Applied Scholastics is a first-time exhibitor at the festival. We were aware
    of their connection to scientology at the time of their registration based
    on the information provided to us through their website. The qualifications
    needed in order to exhibit at The Word On The Street are not, however, based
    on an organization’s or individual’s belief system, but instead based on
    their affiliation with Canada’s publishing industry, cultural industry or
    literacy/educational organizations. Applied Scholastics is a literacy and
    educational-based organization. The Word On The Street is not in a position
    to discriminate against an organization based on their beliefs, which is why
    we allow all spiritual, religious and cultural organizations to exhibit at
    the festival as long as they meet our festival’s exhibitor criteria.

We have, however, taken your concerns under consideration and you can be
    ensured that we will monitor the activities of Applied Scholastics at this
    year’s festival, as we do with all of the festival’s exhibitors, to ensure
    that they are contributing to the positive experience of our festival
    visitors.

Thank you again for getting in touch, we do appreciate your time.

Sincerely,

Kristen.

____________________________________________________________________________
    67 Mowat Avenue, Suite 242
    Toronto, ON M6K 3E3
    T | 416.504.7241
    E | kristen@thewordonthestreet.ca
    W| http://www.thewordonthestreet.ca
    B | http://torontowots.wordpress.com/

Become our fan on Facebook: http://bit.ly/bnaU4D
    Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/torontoWOTS

Celebrating Reading. Advocating Literacy.
    The Word On The Street | Queen's Park | Sunday, September 25, 2011 | 11a.m.
    to 6p.m.
    • Like Like x 1
  29. HellRazor Member

Harpoon launched. Let's see if I get the same boilerplate.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Durham_Anon1 Member

I got the same exact reply...derp.
  31. TorontosRoot Member

Likely robotnik is in the building...
  32. Anonymous Member

/r copy of your original letters.
  33. TorontosRoot Member

Here's mine (a bit lulzy, I was half-asleep lol):
    Also my response to the robotnik response:
    Oops, just realized I got the youth event mixed up with something else in the USA or another country/location. Silly lulzy me. I don't think they got barred, but I wonder what a response I'll get this time around.
  34. Durham_Anon1 Member

Sent: September-18-11 8:42 AM
    To: nicola@thewordonthestreet.ca; Kristen@thewordonthestreet.ca;
    alex@thewordonthestreet.ca
    Subject: Cult activity during Toronto literacy festival

Hello all, it has come to our attention that on sunday september 25th in
    Queens Park a group called "Applied Schoolastics" will have a tent set up
    for the Literacy festival. I hope you are aware that this is a front group
    for the Church of Scientology. This is a group that has a history of human
    rights abuses. It is deplorable that this cult is allowed to peddle their
    propaganda unfettered at such an amazing festival. We hope you reconsider
    allowing this dangerous cult to have a public platform at such an important
    event.
    As a concerned citizen, it is very unsettling to hear that this cult will be
    talking to the public under the guise of education.

I thank you for taking the time to listen my concern.
  35. Durham_Anon1 Member

My reply to the response.

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 00:54:23
    To: Kristen Gentleman<kristen@thewordonthestreet.ca>
    Subject: Re: Thank you for getting in touch

I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I am not concerned about the spiritual or religious beliefs of this group but the human rights abuses linked to their organization.

I just feel this event is important and hope I could at least bring to light the history of human rights abuses perpetrated by this cult. These abuses are still going on and I just feel it tarnishes the reputation of the festival. Again this isn't about religious freedoms it is about the criminal practices of the church and its suppressive doctrine.

I thank you for your time.
  36. Durham_Anon1 Member

Also my Kijiji add for the 24th was removed...3rd time. Never will I get an answer as to why.
  37. TorontosRoot Member

Have you appealed the removal via the link in the e-mail notice? I did that a few times to bring my ads up again.
  38. Durham_Anon1 Member

I did the first time but I never got a reply.
  39. TorontosRoot Member

Likely there are some scn at kijiji HQ's hired as mods, or anti-protest personal. That really sucks. What about craigslist?
  40. Anonymous Member

Bump

We need @replies sent to anonymous twitter/identi.ca accounts. Use this tweet (haz link back to this thread): #Scientology Protest September 24, 2011 in #Toronto #spreadtheword http://bit.ly/p9T8Ku
    • Like Like x 2