Customize

Senator Xenophon Scientology Speech - Media Coverage Megathread

Discussion in 'Senator Xenophon And Scientology' started by Barking Thetan, Nov 17, 2009.

1. fimoman Member

Re: Senator Xenophon Scientology Speech - Media Coverage Megathread

Scientology getting done in in Oz?!!!

[IMG]
  2. randomx Member

The New Zealand Herald

'Criminal' Scientologists face Aussie inquiry

Australian Prime Minister, Kevin Rudd will consider calls for a parliamentary inquiry into the Church of Scientology after a scathing attack by a Senator calling it a criminal organisation.

New South Wales police have also confirmed they are considering what steps to take after Australian Senator Nick Xenophon tabled documents in Parliament which he claimed showed tax evasion and former followers alleging extensive criminal activity.

The letters - tabled in the Senate - allege abuses including coerced abortions, assault, imprisonment, the covering up of sexual abuse, the embezzlement of church funds and blackmail.

But Mr Rudd said the evidence must be looked at carefully before proceeding.

Xenophon used parliamentary privilege to attack the church, after being contacted by a number of former Scientologists who accused the organisation of shocking crimes.

"Scientology is not a religious organisation, it is a criminal organisation that hides behind its so-called religious beliefs," he told the Senate.

"... The letters received by me which were written by former followers in Australia contains extensive allegations of crimes and abuses that are truly shocking - crimes against them and crimes they say they were coerced into committing.

"These victims of Scientology claim it is an abusive, manipulative, violent and criminal organisation, and that criminality is condoned at the highest levels."

The South Australian parliamentarian said he had been contacted by a number of former Scientologists, after questioning the organisation's tax exempt status in a recent television interview.

Senator Xenophon said their correspondence implicated the organisation in a range of crimes, including forced imprisonment, coerced abortions, embezzlement of church funds, physical violence, intimidation and blackmail.

"I am deeply concerned about this organisation and the devastating impact it can have on its followers," he told the Senate.

He tabled in parliament a number of letters from former members of the organisation, which he said he has passed on to the police.

In one, Paul David Schofield said his first daughter Lauren had died after she was allowed to wander one of the Church of Scientology's Sydney buildings and fell down some stairs.

"My wife and I were actively discouraged from seeking compensation from the church," he wrote.

"I was also encouraged by church executives to request no coronial enquiry (sic) into her death, something I stupidly agreed with at that time."

Schofield's second daughter Kirsty also died, in this case after ingesting potassium chloride at the family home - a substance he said was used widely in the organisation's purification programs.

In another letter, Aaron Saxton said as a member of the organisation he participated in the forced confinement and torture of others.

He wrote that Scientologists considered to be underperforming were placed on diets of beans and rice for up to two weeks at a time, and they were also not allowed to access medications or undergo procedures such as pap smears.

Senator Xenophon said many names had been erased from the letters he had tabled.

"But those names haven't been removed from copies I am providing to the police," he said.

"This organisation must be investigated."

Senator Xenophon also called for a Senate inquiry into the Church of Scientology's tax exempt status in Australia.

The Church of Scientology said the comments were an outrageous abuse of parliamentary privilege.

"Senator Xenophon is obviously being pressured by disgruntled former members who use hate speech and distorted accounts of their experiences in the church," the organisation said in a statement.

"They are about as reliable as former spouses are when talking about their ex-partner.

"This is a propaganda campaign that would suit a totalitarian regime, not Australia, a country that recognises freedom of religion."

- AAP / NZ HERALD STAFF

The article in Thursday`s paper is even longer.

'Criminal' Scientologists face Aussie inquiry - World - NZ Herald News

The story also ran on TV One evening news.
  3. TheProphet Member

The down side of the First Amendment

Missing the point completely. Did he even read/watch the speech? This is about crimes not religious expression. Many of those crimes don't even have backing in scientology scripture, even though they may have been inspired or justified through it.
  4. TrevAnon Member

5. _You_ Member

Bump because it needs moar diggs.
  6. Re: Senator Xenophon Scientology Speech - Media Coverage Megathread

Potential Tommy Davis successor here: Re: Scientology is Not a Cult: "We're legally a Fucking Religion, so FUCK OFF!"

You internet people are all the same, religious bigots and Xenophons.

Does anyone know who this highly trained religious spokesperson is?
  7. Belladonna Member

The Age

The two faces of Scientology
    The Goanna
    Scientology | Nick Xenophon | Tom Cruise rant

and
    Scientology practices 'putting people at risk'
    BARNEY ZWARTZ
    Church Of Scientology | Cult Counselling Australia | Senator Nick Xenophon | Senate Inquiry

(Note that these are appearing at the same time as Cyrus Brooks' opinion piece)
  8. _You_ Member

I hope the emails to the PM, Opposition Leader and senators are adding up too. /unsubtlehint
  9. Belladonna Member

I've gotta say, I really like Australia's style. Between Jack the Insider and this - absolutely hilarious.

picture11pj.png
  10. Belladonna Member

The next installment:

Sydney Morning Herald
    Scientology's dark secrets
    BARNEY ZWARTZ
    November 21, 2009
    Scientology's dark secrets

The Australian
    Political pursuit of religion

snip
    Political pursuit of religion | The Australian

The Age
    Dogged crusader

KATHARINE MURPHY
    Dogged crusader
  11. Belladonna Member

Sydney Morning Herald
    Struggle between a church and the state

(more)
    Scientology
  12. TrevAnon Member

After some smaller websites (see posts before this) now Dutch newspaper Het Parool (spread in and around Amsterdam, where the Dutch org is) has an article on Xenophon. This is good news, because now there's a chance more media will pick it up.

PAROOL: BUITENLAND - Scientology beticht van grof misbruik

Google Translation
  13. _You_ Member

Also in that article:
  14. RightOn Member

I skimmed through the thread, but didn't read the whole thing.

Sorry if this has been asked.
    But does anyone know if Xenophon is going to forward his speech to other countries?
  15. _You_ Member

Scientology targets young kids | The Daily Telegraph

This epic news article not only mentions the inquiry, it ALSO links Scientology to Youth for Human Rights, and the education authorities are going "what is this shit, get it out of our schools!" YEEHAAW.

COMMENTS ARE OPEN POONS GO!
  16. _You_ Member

That is great to see, especially because the cult will no doubt claim it does charitable activities citing front groups like Youth for Human Rights, Narconon, Way to Happiness etc which all have the ulterior motive of legitimizing a convicted fraudster as a great humanitarian and recruiting people into the cult.

It is also backed up by a 2007 report of a previous instance involving the same front group attempting to influence high school students, indicating this is a pattern of deceptive conduct that has continued even after exposure in the media.

Unwitting high-schoolers lured to forum run by Scientologists - National
  17. _You_ Member

Want to defame Scientology instantly in parliament?

Mention Operation Snow White.

Job done.

Now I'm going to go and stuff loads and loads of paper dfown the toilet...

18. _You_ Member

This is great. Barney Zwartz draws out Dean Dethridge's story beautifully.

Noel Pearson heard the words "Scientology is not a religious organisation" and nothing else in the entire speech. He has also misconstrued section 116 of the Constitution. Someone should write in to The Australian... Oh... I already did.

Best analysis of the issues yet. She gets it.
  19. _You_ Member

Unfortunately, you misunderstand the law of defamation. When something, however nasty, is TRUE, it's not defamatory to mention it.
  20. JohnnyRUClear Member

Well, CRAP! So much for THAT plan.
  21. _You_ Member

22. TinyDancer Member

I'm not sure I understand why he would.

The text of the speech is available from Hansard.
  23. _You_ Member

24. _You_ Member

25. LocalSP Member

Re: Anyone seen this vid done by sub-way family?

Excellent!
  26. _You_ Member

27. TinyDancer Member

28. JohnnyRUClear Member

This is tiresome.

Xenophon isn't challenging the "religion" of Scientology. He's challenging the organization(s) known as Scientology, which actually have other names, such as "Church of Scientology, International", "Religious Technology Center", etc.. It's just a lot easier to call them "Scientology" than anything else. (Imagine trying to list all 46 kajillion front groups every time you mentioned it!)

Larry Brennan's term "organized Scientology" is somewhat helpful, but even then it grants a degree of exclusivity which could be problematic here. (IOW, can't other people not part of Miscavige's empire organize themselves into a Scientology following, too? Would they not then also be properly labeled "organized Scientology" as well?)

Anyway, however it's sliced, making this distinction between the religion(?) and the organizations (the ones which are in question here, that is, not counting whatever possible organizations might exist in the FZ or the MartyZone or whatever) would clear away a very large amount of the confusion and controversy over what he's doing. He actually did make it, to some degree, in his famous speech, but it seems that the point has been utterly lost on most commentators thus far.
  29. DeathHamster Member

Very! Just how bad does an organization have to be before some people's rose-coloured glasses come off?

If I opened "Bob's Buddhist Beer Barn" (specialty of the house: one with everything!), would it be automatically religious, tax and criticism exempt? Even if there was religious ceremony tacked on like Scientology did? NO!? Okay, so there is a line out there somewhere.
  30. _You_ Member

Maybe the MAFIA should re-define itself the way Scientology did.
  31. DeathHamster Member

Hells Angels, NAMBLA...
  32. Anonxmous Member

Actually, a better, and very topical and current argument in Australia - that I hope someone points out to the senators... (I've sent a lengthy email already - will leave this to someone else)

What if the the Australian Biker Gangs redefined themselves as religions, would the government really sanction tax breaks on motorcycle purchase for them - and more particularly, would that prevent proper government investigation into their activites and the appropriateness of such tax breaks?
  33. Anon123456 Member

dats fuckin genius ...ill tell my boss.

mob-boss.jpg
  34. _You_ Member

That's not funny! Rear-ending a little boy IS a religious practice! Just ask the Catholics!
  35. _You_ Member

Do they they have Training Routines for that, and do they have to report their pedo-stats by 2pm every Thursday?
  36. TinyDancer Member

ENI
  37. _You_ Member

38. JohnnyRUClear Member

"If"??

DO IT FAGGOT
  39. HellRazor Member

WezFaceoff.jpg
  40. RevModemac Member