Customize

Senator Xenophon Scientology Speech - Media Coverage Megathread

Discussion in 'Senator Xenophon And Scientology' started by Barking Thetan, Nov 17, 2009.

1. timthephoto Member

Re: Lord Xenophon's Speech - Media Coverage Megathread

THIS IS LUSH :D
  2. RedSuitGirl Member

FROM ESMB: ALL HANDS ON DECK
    No idea what 'shortly' is. Someone can record this, right?

3. Relyt Member

Hopefully, COS doesn't "Make it go right" and this doesn't get shoved under the rug.
  4. ryangiggs Member

5. DeathHamster Member

re: Senator Xenophon Scientology Speech - Media Coverage Megathread

Ha! That's why their "attack, never defend" tactic isn't working--their rudds are out. Send them to cramming!
  6. Relyt Member

Excellent.
  7. Relyt Member

"When you're an independent, you get used to solitude."
  8. RedSuitGirl Member

ON NOW:

-recording of Xenophon's speech from parliament-
    host: where to from here?
    xenophon: referred to police, it's appropriate for police to make judgements on letters, I want senate inquiry into consumerist aspects of scientology, whether consumer laws adequate in current form in terms of things raised about sci
    not about judgement, about letting people have their say in open and robust form

host: sci say you've abused privilege, ex members have axe to grind. I know you're a straight shooter outside of parliament, what's up?
    xenophon: concept of parliamentary privilege bedrock of democracy, important to realise that people who came forward have said things that potentially cause difficulties for them, important for people to have concerns dealt with and this is an appropriate forum; best course from here is parliamentary inquiry into civil matters, whether consumer laws are adequate

host: you were delivering hand grenades in senate, chamber was almost empty. is your bo really bad? where were they?!
    xenophon: no votes to be called, so people not obliged to be there, some in offices some went home
    host: must have been lonely!
    xenophon: well as an independent you get used to solitude

That was it, as fast as I could type.

The host literally sad hand grenades, brilliant. xD

I think it might be call-in now, he quoted a number... but not sure.
  9. RedSuitGirl Member

131 873 is phone number for that radio show to phone in, I think
    He just mentioned that Rudd said he had 'concerns' this morning, which "in terms of the legalities involved is as good as support for Xenophon"

lololol
  10. mrfyde Member

Wut ?

How is this a better time for them to "go after" scientology ?
    It always looks good for the government to go after corruption.

Politicians have gone after Scientology many times before, some that come to mind: the first time the IRS yanked their tax exempt status, Hubbard getting kicked out of England, and Snow White.

There have been a lot of conflicting reports about Scientology but they needed Ex's to come forward to do something about them. Now much of the fear is gone with many of the ex's and reports are being made that have credibility (even though the statute of limitations has run out in many cases) because the large amount of people coming forward with similar stories made the reports more believable, and when ex's stop the baww fest of 'look what happened to me I was totally a victim' and started talking about the abuses they inflicted on others while inside the cult the government listened instead of trying to sort out a 'he said/she said' story they now have the first hand accounts of people who have inflicted the abuse. The stories told on the floor of the Senate are not"look what happend to me" stories, they are stories coming from people saying what they have done to other people, and why they took the actions they did such as: Why they lied to the police, why the coerced abortions, and why they covered up missing funds.
  11. timthephoto Member

in case you missed it ApRec.MP3
  12. Belladonna Member

13. ryangiggs Member

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My pathetic typing out of Nigel (a scientologist) who just phoned in:-

Nigel phones in . . .

Simon: how do you respond?

Nigel: A little dissapointed to see parliamentarian hiding behind political priveledge

Q: Do people run foul of the group when leaving?
    It is difficult to understand what Sci is?
    How do you describe it?

A: Learning about yourself and life
    My own exp. some of the courses i learned what is true for me.

Q. Your progression, payment?

A. Yes, some are free etc. etc. Pay what you want to pay.
    Not much money

Q. Others say it is expensive. Intimidated to pay courses.

A. I have never seen that. Up to the individual to decide what they want to do. Never seen that in my time at all.

Q. Do you worship a being?

A. No. Not at all. Find out for yourself as you go along the way.
    Not set out to any particular path. Finding your own determination/heart.

Q. Which courses are free?

A. Introductory and services available free.

Q. How did you get involved?

A. Marriage problems, Needed advice. Friend recommended.
    I came along and that was it.

Q. So as a member of the church what do you say to these accusations?

A. If you have something substantail give to police. If you don't, shut-up.

Simon: Nigel from Gosnells, a scientologist.

end of phone call.

Note: Nigel came across as a bit jittery.

Note#2: New on the hour has mentioned scientology 3 times now. Yay!
  14. Anon123456 Member

hit digg front page.
  15. tazor Member

Australian PM Concerned About CoS

Australian PM 'concerned' about Scientology

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574...-29277,00.html

PRIME Minister Kevin Rudd says he has concerns about the Church of Scientology but wants to see what material independent senator Nick Xenophon has before committing to a parliamentary inquiry.

Senator Xenophon yesterday told Parliament there was criminal activity within the church and has called for a Senate inquiry into Scientology's tax exempt status.

Senator Xenophon has also called for police to investigate the church after being contacted by a number of former Scientologists who accused the organisation of shocking crimes.

Senator Xenophon said their correspondence implicated the organisation in a range of crimes, including forced imprisonment, coerced abortions, physical violence and blackmail.

Asked about the senator's claims, Mr Rudd described them as "grave allegations".

"Many people in Australia have real concerns about Scientology," Mr Rudd said.

"I share some of those concerns. Let us proceed carefully and look carefully at the material he has provided before we make a decision on further parliamentary action."

Asked about the Church of Scientology's tax exempt status, Mr Rudd said he was advised the High Court had dealt with the matter back in the 1980s.

"I am so advised, but I stand to be corrected," he said.

"Therefore the true question is the actual nature of the operations that involve Scientology now.

"I don't want to rush into any judgment on this, other than to say he's (Senator Xenophon) raised concerns and made some serious allegations."
  16. Belladonna Member

17. RedSuitGirl Member

ninemsn Video
    There's two videos in here of interest. In particular, clicking on "9RAW Xenophon speaks outside parliament" is Xenophon talking to the press directly. Epic awesome where one of the journalists says "Do you think you'll be the target of Fair Game?"
  18. Ogsonofgroo Member

19. theLastAnon Member

That's a vid worth watching, if only to hear Sen. Xenophon say, maybe more than once, "I have an obligation..."

Srsly, you'd think a guy named Xenophon would have a thesaurus. Obligation ftw!
  20. RedSuitGirl Member

21. Ogsonofgroo Member

Lol Flocked (A Flocked of Beagles?)...done.

Aus ex's and anons should be frikken 'poonin' de infos out there to the rest of the senators imho.

Pretty good article actually, but needs salt & peppers or sumthin'.

:)
  22. Anon123456 Member

FLOCK IT! LULZ
  23. ticinoanon Member

Re: Lord Xenophon\'s Speech - Media Coverage Megathread

Behind Xenophon there is nothing but Xenu him self, he\'s sick of CoS.
  24. Consensus Member

You're missing one side of the cost/benefit equation.
    Attacking corruption can be a very dangerous business.
    In the case of Scientology, it has become much less dangerous virtually overnight (in terms of a political timeline).
  25. Belladonna Member

4daLulz

Google news search image display

picture23f.png
  26. Vir Member

Yes they are inherently tied, but only in one direction: All good leaders take on Scientology, but not all people who take on Scientology are good leaders.
  27. ARC Member

Anonymous posting is broken in this situation room, but it has been brought to the attention of admins.

As for politicians, there are indeed some who act purely on idealism and what is a good thing to do, but they are usually stopped by others who may be more "pragmatic". We'll see what happens.
  28. Ogsonofgroo Member

The problem is.............they have nothing worth defending except a piece of blue sky. Makes them lousy farmers, as sky, well, doesn't grow much except illusions: So when it comes down to CoS feastings on the world there ain'y any veggies to offer ('cept the heavily conned maybe), when the plate comes to the table they're served the only thing that ever mattered to ol' LRon, meat. Lots and lots and lots of tender raw meat, served in a rich gravey of its own collective gulibility...yuuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmm.

Oh some shiney badges of boner... and a lot of fond memories.

Gtg/runstapewk

:)
  29. mrfyde Member

how so ? the easiest time for them to have gone after the cult was from 93-99 when it would have only taken a sleight infraction to put the cult out of business as described in the tax settlement, and confirmed by MR almost weekly in the SP times.

The IRS and the DoJ gave Scientology a chance to be good boys and girls and reform under its new leadership in 93 instead of having to deal with separating the abuses from the first amendment. It is now obvious the cult didn't take advantage of that chance, and continued with a slightly watered down version of their corruption. Claims of abuses have been stacking up for 10+ years and will be investigated if reported, if the feds have a case that will stick, the government will file it.

Many of the things that have been reported over the last 10 years are not as cut and dry as they have been made to sound because people who have been in the cult have been lied to about the true facts of the situation, and many of the more vocal critics have ruined the credibility of some of the others, that lead many of the abused to reporting the wrong things or not reporting anything at all.
  30. re: Senator Xenophon Scientology Speech - Media Coverage Megathread

anon posting now works here too
  31. Sponge Member

32. Ogsonofgroo Member

I don't agree, they have several things going for them;

1. Huge money. No doubt they can shop around for some of the best fuckery available, and last for a good while from just a few of their 'off-shore' accounts.

2. Time. They ain't done till Poodles' vodka bottle is empty, and then some.

3. Zombies. Thousands, willing to give up their futures for a bunch of gross negligence, bullshit, and abuse.

4. Intelligence. They'd catalogue yer grannie's DNA if they could find it.

5. Ruthlessness. They'd.........they'd..........hm, fuck... what wouldn't they do?
    (what haven't they done?)

Don't lull into false security, cornered rats will attack, evil ones will plan ahead, LRon continues to teach his minions well (well. n. ~ (8) Deep cavity drilled in one's anus by Conmen through which money is extracted.)

'Fuckery' seems to be bringing up scilonese often lately, wonder why that be?

Jest an evening thot or three, I go nao.

:D
  33. DeathHamster Member

"Founded in the United States in 1954"

1954 is the bogus date from CoS Official History. 1953 is the actual date of the first incorporation of the New Jersey Church of Scientology franchise by Hubbard and others.

1954 means that they're repeating CoS claims. 1953 means that they checked Wikipedia first.
  34. Re: Lord Xenophon's Speech - Media Coverage Megathread

^ Scientology Australia's new sig?
  35. peterstorm Member

France is not dropping the ball. :D
  36. Sponge Member

fo' sure :D

Btw, if any articles appear, particularly in the USA, with scientology in them and they don't mention this bomshell in Australia then poon the comments and the editor/reporter.
    Saw one in the Boston Herald just come up about TC and DM at Earle Cooley's memorial. wtf?
  37. _You_ Member

Re: Senator Xenophon Scientology Speech - Media Coverage Megathread

Australian Prime Minister voices concerns about Scientology - Times Online

We're hitting UK press now!

Doesn't the sign featured in the photo look awfully battered? Seems to be the one that's on the building of the temporary Sydney org (you know, the one hidden in a dingy back street, which is a warehouse with like 1 window)
  38. TinyDancer Member

Re: Senator Xenophon Scientology Speech - Media Coverage Megathread

Story has the usual boilerplate facts about Scientology, with one recent addition:

39. Re: Senator Xenophon Scientology Speech - Media Coverage Megathread

^^^^^Nice Rant!^^^^^^ I concur......I've avoided # n.~(8) above, ty sweet baby Xenu