Customize

Sea Org worker Damian Kevitt nearly killed in hit-and-run

Discussion in 'Media' started by The Wrong Guy, Mar 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Wrong Guy Member

On Facebook, Tony Ortega has posted this:

Damian Kevitt, the LA cyclist nearly killed in a hit-and-run on Sunday, spent at least 15 years as a Sea Org worker who now sits in a hospital clinging to life and racking up millions in costs with no health care insurance. Where is the church? We've asked for a response from Karin Pouw, but doubt that we'll get one. Meanwhile, we're trying to verify that Kevitt was still in the Sea Org Sunday when he was injured. We think it's likely.

Is The L.A. Cyclist Who Was Nearly Killed in Hit-and-Run a Scientology “Sea Org” Worker? | The Underground Bunker

Excerpt:

On Sunday, a man named Damian Kevitt, 36, was nearly killed in a gruesome hit-and-run incident that has left him with what one doctor called the worst non-fatal injuries he’s ever seen.

Kevitt was riding a bicycle near LA’s Griffith Park when a person driving a van hit him, then dragged him onto the middle of a freeway. Conscientious drivers stopped to protect Damian from getting run over by other cars, but his injuries were terrible: he’s already lost one leg and may lose another. Both of his arms are broken, a shoulder needs replacing, and he was so scraped up, an infection might come at any time that could kill him.

And without health insurance, the costs for his care are going into the millions, his uncle tells us. His uncle also confirmed for us that his nephew is the Damian Kevitt who is listed as a Scientology Sea Org worker in a 2005 document online. We have asked the church for a comment, but we don’t expect a reply. So we’re asking our correspondents to help us find out: Was Damian Kevitt still a Sea Org worker when he was injured, and is that why he has no health insurance when he needs it most?

<snip>

We talked to Marc Headley, a former Sea Org worker who, with his wife Claire, escaped from their jobs at the International Base east of Los Angeles in 2005. We asked Marc if Sea Org workers, despite their incredible dedication, get health insurance from Scientology.

“No. No way,” he says. When Marc was injured at one point, the church filed a worker’s compensation claim, he says. They did the same when his wife Claire broke her leg.

“She had a motorcycle accident and broke her tibia and fibula and nearly lost her foot. The security workers at the base crammed her into a Honda Civic and took her to the hospital. The emergency workers were livid that they brought her like that.”

Headley says that there are numerous cases of Sea Org workers simply being dumped by the church when they could no longer keep up with the 100-hour works at their jobs.

“If you mess up, they drop you completely. Got hit by a car? See ya, wouldn’t want to be ya. That’s the Sea Org overriding policy,” he says.

Continued with open comments at
    http://tonyortega.org/2013/03/01/is...-in-hit-and-run-a-scientology-sea-org-worker/
    • Like Like x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. Anonymous Member

this is why
    • Like Like x 6
  3. Jeff Jacobsen Member

Wait, wait, wait. What was that the Tom Cruise said about if a Scientologist sees someone has been in an accident?
    • Like Like x 5
  4. Anonymous Member

Cover up the fact that you were the one that threw them under the bus.
  5. No need for para-medics, Doctor's or firefighters, only a Scientologist can really help, Following a touch-assist, the help u may need is a new body, NP, meet Julie...........

There are certain ummm, errrr....fees for Julie to help one wrap up their cycles shall we say. Wonderful, Just Wonderful.........

Where exactly does Jullie take them shopping for a new body?
    This is extraordinary and very, very theta, yay Ron, yay................

The IAS is opening a second hand clothing and jewelry store:
    ...................... The IAS Body-Shopper Boutique.......................
    • Like Like x 2
  6. RolandRB Member

Maybe people could campaign for all full-time religious volunteers to be covered by medical insurance by their Church. Would that ever happen?
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Dare we even get into the subject of universal health care?
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Anonymous Member

So funny thing - yesterday somebody posted a facebook comment on the GoFundMe page for Damian Kevitt, saying "why doesn't Miscavige pay for his medical care". The comment disappeared.
    Then several critics donated money to Kevitt, leaving similar comments, saying things about how no Sea Org member should go without medical insurance. Scientologists are changing the name of each wog donor into "A Stranger" and removing the entheta comments that accompany the donation.
    • Like Like x 6
  9. Anonymous Member

I saw that the 100 dollars came from TinyDancer. They changed her name and took down her comment. I wonder if they will send the money back.
    • Like Like x 2

10. TinyDancer rocks............
    • Like Like x 3
  11. RolandRB Member

That money went "kerrching" into the IAS coffers.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Anonymous Member

It did not. One thing Scientology became more afraid of is bad press. More likely this money will be sent back to the SP who dared to send the check. Or will be taken quietly. I don't envy the clam that opened that GoFundMe page, because now she needs to watch it like a hawk and delete every entheta comment that appears there.
  13. Anonymous Member

OSA mistook him for Damian DeWitt?
  14. Anonymous Member

Clams are not that generous with their money, so it seems, when not looked in a room with blocked exists. So far they barely collected 1200 dollars to Damian Kevitt who lost his leg, about to lose his second leg, had a shoulder replaced and might still die from septicemia.
    I bet they all think that he pulled it in.
    Can't the IAS cut him a check for 10K?
    Also, watch the Sea Org offloading him real fast. I'm curious to see if his wife will be made to divorce him as well. After all, a couple cannot be a couple if one is Sea Org and the other is not.
  15. Anonymous Member

^^^ when not locked in a room
  16. There is a donor "Tom Klemesrud" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Theo_Klemesrud whose comments were probably deleted.
  17. BlooAnon Member

Why don't they just put "Anonymous"? .... Oh wait...
    • Like Like x 9
  18. Anonymous Member

Actually, he never left any comments. I saw his donation the moment he gave it. I know that he is one of the old time critics.
  19. Anonymous Member

^^^ It's likely that clams don't recognize critics just from their names. But if somebody leaves a comments, then they'll delete their name and comment.
  20. Anonymous Member

LOL. That's funny. I also thought to myself why would they say "A stranger" instead of anonymous, but it never occurred to me that this word in all contexts became a no no to scientologists.
  21. To Pat Bylard, Alicia Clarke and any other Scientologists trying to raise money for Damian Kevitt:
    There doesn't seem to be enough of you to donate much to him, why don't you ask Bob Duggan to help? A few million would be nothing to him. Your efforts to assist Damian are commendable.
  22. BlooAnon Member

I remember hearing at one of their meetings a few years back that they were reading out donation amounts and one of them was $10,000 (or something) from anonymous. There was a collective gasp by the attendees before the speaker clarified that it wasn't that Anonymous. WWP, on the other hand, found it very amusing.

I'm sure the post is here somewhere, but I'm too lazy to look it up, and it really isn't anything important.

With that aside, it was a terrible accident that Damian was in. No one should have to go through something like that. And you just know that there are some people in COS that are thinking "Well, I wonder what he did wrong. He pulled it in after all."
    • Like Like x 1
  23. jensting Member

Indeed
    "In the presence of suppression, one makes mistakes" HCOB 12 March 1968: Mistakes, Anatomy of
  24. MDKBOT Member

This is an email sent to me
    Here is the news article from the la times;
    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...ding-to-conviction-of-hit-and-run-driver.html

here is his gofundme page
    http://www.gofundme.com/26nbpc
  25. Anonymous Member

Karma is a bitch?
  26. Anonymous Member

Oh, sorry, already feel guilty about posting that.
  27. 326976_1362380498.7499.jpg Recent Donations (40)
    $2,605 raised by 40 people in 6 days.

Updated posted by Alicia Clarke 3 days ago
    Hey Everyone. I wanted to...
    Hey Everyone. I wanted to make sure that the reason I opened up this funding site is known. While Damian is in good hands and all his basic needs are being taken care of one can never predict all the costs that come with this kind of situation. I thought we could fill the gaps of anything that may be needed by this well loved individual and just provide that little extra support. :)
  28. 9 Comments
    Use Facebook to Leave a Comment

Nothing gets posted to your wall. Only your Facebook name & photo are used.
    [IMG]

Hi Damian, Wishing you the best through your recovery. We are all behind you and think so highly of all you have done to help others. Heal fast and maybe some day you will be my auditor!!! ML
    posted by Christine Murphy 19 hours ago

[IMG]

Mark, Michele & Claire. My postulates are with you in your time of need. Damian is the best and will do well.
    posted by Marti Marshall 21 hours ago

[IMG]

Damian, Karinna gave me your huge hug full of affinity. I cried but that is me. Get better soon!! We miss you and Grace a whole a lot. Pac Base is not the same, so we need you back!!!
    posted by Laura Capaceta-Suter 22 hours ago

[IMG]

Shortly after the Golden Age of Tech came out, I had the pleasure of being audited by Damian. It was a session that changed my eternity. Afterwards, I knew we were all going to make it! This is what Ron meant by a standard session! I then postulated that Damian would be my auditor that would enable me to move up the advanced levels... and he was! Ever since then, I always think of Damian as the best. Do what you need to do to repair that body. If you need any help, Cyndie and I are here for you.
    posted by Randall Tobin 1 day ago
  29. RightOn Member

I know this doesn't have to be said, but I am going to say it. I sincerely hope that any scilons collecting money for this poor guy gives ALL the money for his recovery and no skimming occurs for the COS. But question, would this be considered "out exchange"?
  30. Anonymous Member

One must wonder why if it is only a meat body to be dropped and another easily obtained, they would bother raising money at all?
  31. RightOn Member

hey Cruise and othe scilon celebs! you could surely make his recovery better in two shakes of a lamb's tail.
  32. 186x282.jpg?fit=scale&amp;background=000000.jpg
    Robert Duggan

Net Worth

$1.2 B As of March 2013

Follow (0)

At a Glance

• Source of Wealth:pharmaceuticals, self-made
    • Residence: Palo Alto, CA
    • Country of Citizenship: United States
    • Marital Status: Married
    • Children: 8

Billionaires: March 2013
    Robert Duggan is new to the Forbes Billionaires list, thanks to the surging stock price of biotech firm Pharmacyclics, where he first invested in 2005. He owns 19% of the company and serves as chairman and CEO. Pharmacyclics makes a drug now in clinical trials to treat chronic lymphocytic leukemia. He assumed leadership of the company in 2008, shelving the company's other efforts to focus R&amp;D on the cancer drug. Duggan is considered one of the founders of robotic surgery. He served as chairman of Computer Motion, the world's first robotic surgery company, from 1989, and CEO from 1997, until it was acquired by Intuitive Surgical in 2003. He has also been a private venture investor for more than 30 years and is the founder of Robert W. Duggan &amp; Associates, which invests in medical, biomedical, high technology, information services, billboard, media and communication companies.

http://www.forbes.com/profile/robert-duggan-1/
  33. RightOn Member

Duggan wouldn't do it, no fancy smancy dorky medals for it
    • Like Like x 2
  34. Anonymous Member

It's Absolutely Disgusting How Some Institutions "Work" Nowadays. Hypocrisy Everywhere, Lack of Conduct and Self Respect Even...
  35. Anonymous Member

I thought Americans got their medical insurance as part of their job. Isn't he covered by been a member of the Sea Org.
  36. Quentinanon Member

The scientology mentality on staff injuries is: He/she needs to take responsibility. He/she pulled it in. He/she is a downstat. We do not reward downstats. If the injury/illness is life-threatening, then he/she should just end cycle.
  37. Anonymous Member

If one is lucky. Many american jobs offer no insurance, or merely catastrophic-type insurance whose payout would never come close to paying off this young man's injuries.

There is another wrinkle added as he is not really an 'employee', but some kind of religious volunteer/cleric. As such, scientology might be perfectly witin their rights to not have any insurance on him, it wouldn't be the first loophole they've used to exploit their workforce. To make matters worse, he was not injured on their premises which is another strike against any claims he could make to get them to pay his bills.
  38. RightOn Member

seriously?
    You either do not know about the Sea Org or you are trolling?
    Hate to use the term lurk moar, but geez!
    Sea Orgers get paid like $25-50 a week (sometimes not at all) and they are fed food high in carbs to keep them "submisive" and sometimes they just get rice and beans. They avoid going to any doctors even if they have a serious injury. They are over worked, sleep deprived, there are abortion coercions and they are humiliated not only by their co-members, but also their superiors. They sleep in over crowded quarters and some sleep on the floor.
    Do you really think that the COS would give them health coverage?
    • Like Like x 2
  39. Anonymous Member

I wasn't trolling. I assumed there would be some form of health coverage. So out of their measley wage they are expected to buy their own insurance!
    I agree with what RolandRB said
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.