Customize

Sea Arrrgh Press Release?

Discussion in 'Translation and Text Composition Projects' started by gregg, May 20, 2008.

1. gregg Member

Sea Arrrgh Press Release?

Who wants to start this thing up?

Im ready to send it whenever you feel its done.

I know some local ones have been done for at least a couple cities. This should be the global one that goes out to all the press contacts we have. The list after much more cleaning is at 25081 email addresses.

For an example here is one that went to just some local Boston contacts (yes our date is the 15th not the 14th, because of the gay pride day):

2. JoshTheater Member

Re: Sea Arrrgh Press Release?

This is the Boston one, if anybody wants ideas:
    Seaaarghpressrelease - Non-Violent Uprising

Note that our protest is on June 15th, however, and that everybody else should have it as the 14th.
  3. anonh2078 Member

This can be modified per city

(Whatever Contact Information Goes Here)
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Anonymous Announces Operation: Sea Arrrgh

City, State, Date, - Beginning at 11:00 AM on June 14th, 2008, the group known as Anonymous will launch "Operation: Sea Arrrgh", an initiative designed to bring attention to the Church of Scientology's Sea Organization. Operation Sea Arrrgh will begin with a peaceful protest at 11:00 AM at <include location here>

This is Anonymous' fifth protest since January of 2008, with over 10,000 members of Anonymous gathering in over 100 cities worldwide. Anonymous' past protests have brought to the forefront the controversial death of Lisa McPherson, highlighted the Church of Scientology's unconstitutional tax exemption, exposed the Church of Scientology's cruel "disconnection" policy, and tackled the “Fair Game” tactics they employ against critics. The protests have resulted in extensive international media coverage including specials on Nightline, CNN, and WGBH.

With Operation Sea Arrrgh, Anonymous aims to bring to light the Church of Scientology's Sea Organization. According to the Church's website, the Sea Org “is composed of the most dedicated Scientologists in the world -— individuals who have dedicated their lives to the service of their religion.” For their dedication, members are forced to sign billion year service contracts, pregnant women are told to have abortions or else they must leave the service, and children are forced into physical labor. In addition, the Church's flagship MV Freewinds is currently grounded due to its being contaminated with cancer-causing blue asbestos, a fact the Church of Scientology has been aware of for decades.

Anonymous consists of individuals united by common beliefs in freedom of speech and basic human rights, both of which have been suppressed by the Church of Scientology. The media has labeled Anonymous as "Cyber Activists", while the Church of Scientology insists upon accusing the group of being "terrorists". Members of Anonymous wear masks while protesting due to the Church of Scientology's aggressive policy of stifling criticism through abuse of the courts.

We invite you to come learn more about the abuses of the Church of Scientology against its own members, meet members of Anonymous, and enjoy dancing, art, and games at <insert location here>

###
  4. anonh2078 Member

This could be sent anywhere, just to announce the initiative

(Whatever we choose for global contact information)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Anonymous Announces Operation: Sea Arrrgh

City, State, Date, - Beginning at 11:00 AM on June 14th, 2008, the group known as Anonymous will launch "Operation: Sea Arrrgh", an initiative designed to bring attention to the Church of Scientology's Sea Organization. Operation Sea Arrrgh will continue the tradition of global peaceful protests aimed at shedding light on the Church of Scientology.

This is Anonymous' fifth protest since January of 2008, with over 10,000 members of Anonymous gathering in over 100 cities worldwide. Anonymous' past protests have brought to the forefront the controversial death of Lisa McPherson, highlighted the Church of Scientology's unconstitutional tax exemption, exposed the Church of Scientology's cruel "disconnection" policy, and tackled the “Fair Game” tactics they employ against critics. The protests have resulted in extensive international media coverage including specials on Nightline, CNN, and WGBH.

With Operation Sea Arrrgh, Anonymous aims to bring to light the Church of Scientology's Sea Organization. According to the Church's website, the Sea Org “is composed of the most dedicated Scientologists in the world — individuals who have dedicated their lives to the service of their religion.” In return for their dedication, members must sign billion year service contracts, are expected to work for a pittance, pregnant women are pressured into choosing between having abortions or leaving the service, and children are forced into physical labor. These allegations have been confirmed by Jenna Miscavige-Hill, niece of the Chairman of the Board of Religious Technology Center of the Church of Scientology. In addition, the Church's flagship MV Freewinds is currently grounded due to its being contaminated with cancer-causing blue asbestos, a fact the Church of Scientology has been aware of for decades.

Anonymous consists of individuals united by common beliefs in freedom of speech and basic human rights, both of which have been suppressed by the Church of Scientology. The media has labeled Anonymous as "Cyber Activists", while the Church of Scientology insists upon accusing the group of being "terrorists". Members of Anonymous must conceal their identities while protesting due to the Church of Scientology's aggressive policy of stifling criticism through abuse of the courts.

We invite you to learn more about the abuses of the Church of Scientology against its own members and to learn about Anonymous through the following websites:
    Why We Protest
    Operation: Sea Arrrgh - June 14

###
  5. Re: Sea Arrrgh Press Release?

You don't mention - 'dressed as pirates' enough.

This is too dry and fails the 'so what?' test.

Change to:

On June the 14th Anonymous sets sail across the world and with a hearty 'yo ho ho' launches Operation: Sea Arrrgh, an initiative that will bring attention to the Church of Scientology's Sea Organization.

Operation Sea Arrrgh continues the tradition of global peaceful protests aimed at shedding light on the Church of Scientology but this time, as the theme is one of high crimes upon the seven seas, Anonymous has decided that a piratical theme is appropriate.

This is Anonymous' fifth protest since January 2008 and since its campaign to highlight the abuses of the Church of Scientology began, over 10,000 members of Anonymous have protested in over 100 cities worldwide.

These past protests have highlighted the controversial and avoidable death of Lisa McPherson in a Scientology compound, as well as tax exemptions that many believe are unjustified and inappropriate. They have also exposed the Church of Scientology's cruel "Disconnection" policy that splits up families and tackled the “Fair Game” tactics of intimidation and litigation that they employ against critics.

With Operation Sea Arrrgh, Anonymous aims to bring to light the Church of Scientology's Sea Organization. According to the Church's website, the Sea Org “is composed of the most dedicated Scientologists in the world — individuals who have dedicated their lives to the service of their religion".

Whilst this may at face value sound admirable, Sea Org members are forced to sign billion year service contracts which entail working for pay that is below minimum wage in many countries. Female members that fell pregnant have been pressured into having abortions, and there is also evidence that children who are part of families in the organization are often forced into hard physical labor.

In addition, the Church of Scientology owned cruiseline MV Freewinds that is manned by the Sea Org is currently grounded due to its being contaminated with cancer-causing blue asbestos, a fact the Church of Scientology has been aware of for decades, but has hidden from shipping authorities and even many within the organization itself. Anonymous considers this to be yet another crime committed by the leadership of the Church of Scientology as it has put its own members who have been aboard this most un-shipshape vessel into serious danger of exposure.

Anonymous consists of individuals united by common beliefs in freedom of speech and basic human rights, both of which have been suppressed by the Church of Scientology. They also like pirates and are looking forward to getting into character and hunting for booty at this next event! The prized treasure that they seek however is more valuable than doubloons or pieces of eight - it's a raised public awareness of what they consider to be the scurrilous and black-hearted activities of the Church of Scientology.

Members of Anonymous tend to conceal their identities while protesting due to the Church of Scientology's aggressive policy of stifling criticism through abuse of the courts and other tactics of intimidation. The media has labeled Anonymous as "Cyber Activists", while the Church of Scientology insists upon accusing the group of being "terrorists" - a label that Anonymous utterly rejects.

Members of the press and media are invited to find out more at the following websites:

LINKS HERE

...and also to come along and see for themselves what takes place at these protests.

Operation Sea Arrgh. City, State, Date, - Beginning at 11:00 AM on June 14th, 2008.

Timbers will be shivered!
  6. Re: Sea Arrrgh Press Release?

I've just tried to make the words used stronger. eg 'will' not 'is intended to' and to inject a few lulz so that there's a human interest story for journos to latch onto 'OVER 9000 PEOPLE AROUND THE WORLD DRESSED AS PIRATES OMFG!!' instead of just giving them the straight facts.
  7. Clancularius Member

In regards to the comment about abortions, I think we should also mention that although they do have the option of leaving the Sea Org to have their child, anyone that does in fact leave the Sea Org is a "Degraded Being" (According to an interview with Astra Woodcraft) and you are looked down upon even if you stay in Scientology.
  8. anonh2078 Member

You don't mention - 'dressed as pirates' enough. & This is too dry and fails the 'so what?' test.

That is the point of press releases. I think that we need to recognize that we need to put a serious face towards the press and a lulzy one towards anons.

Seriously, I've worked in media and I don't think anyone would bother reading or taking serious a press release like that...which is kind of what we need if we want to keep the momentum going on this.

Also, a press release cannot be over 1 page, and that one looks like it would be around 1.5 or so. There is honestly a specific format for these things.
  9. anonh2078 Member

The only point of a press release is to give them straight facts. Something lulzy will not go over if sent to mainstream media. Instead it will just reaffirm the media's impression that Anonymous is not serious, Chanology is not serious, and that they may as well ignore us.

We can be lulzy in-group but we have to be concious of the audience we're addressing. and with the press, we're not addressing other anons.

The media won't give a shit if we're dressed as pirates. Being dressed as pirates is nowhere near as important as the Sea Org stuff we're ostensibly addressing and that is the point we need to get across.
  10. anonh2078 Member

We can't really use a lot of Sci speech in press releases, since the press is not as aware of all the nonsensical terms that the Co$. Plus, a press release can only be 1 page long, discussing the event, and we only have so much room to write stuff out in.
  11. Re: Sea Arrrgh Press Release?

I currently work in the media and write press releases every day. Maybe things are different in this country to the US, but in my experience you need to put in some human interest and a common touch. Otherwise it's just facts and there's no story.

You can be serious and humourous at the same time. Humour is serious business and every journalist, in even the most serious of media outlets will always be on the lookout for a hook (wow... these are writing themselves...) to hang a news piece on, and a chance to write headlines and by-lines that are both funny and clever.

What's more interesting and likely to catch someone's eye? Over 9000 people around the world dress as pirates to highlight a serious cause? Or 'protesters are protesting at this time and in this place'?
  12. Re: Sea Arrrgh Press Release?

Nonsense. The point is to feed them news stories.

Journalists and editors look for interesting angles and human interest. The purpose of a press release is to dangle something interesting under their noses. They get hundreds of them, so a press release has to scream 'look at me!' in its first few sentences and then continue to be both interesting and informative.

We don't want something full of memes only we recognise, true, but we DO want to give them their angle to work with.
  13. Re: Sea Arrrgh Press Release?

In the age of email, not really, as we're not working with pages. What matters are the opening few lines. After that it doesn't matter how long it is. Around 300-500 words is the optimum, but if you can grab them with the first bit and you know it's worthwhile, you can afford to go longer.
  14. Clancularius Member

While I do agree for the most part, at least in my opinion, when we say, "pregnant women are pressured into choosing between having abortions or leaving the service" most people would just say, "well then... leave." However, if we are able to explain that 'leaving' is a very bad thing to a member, so its not just some easy choice because they will be looked down upon by other members of the church it makes it seem much more sinister; both in terms of the abortions, and also just in terms of being stuck in an organization that is abusive but being afraid to leave.

If you want to avoid the term degraded being, fine, but I think the point should still be made.
  15. anonh2078 Member

I guess my line of thinking is that most of the traditional media still thinks that anonymous is a ton of bored hackers doing this for the lulz. whether or not that is the case, sending them a press release with made up words that doesn't seem to take itself seriously could be damaging.
  16. gregg Member

Is there a final version yet?
  17. Scythe Member

Boris` version is very good, and made me laughs a few times. As he said, this story writes itself and journalists will jump on it. Also, this time we are not too late to send it, we are actually in advance. nice job
  18. anon617 Member

Sorry Boris yours sounds rather unprofessional and will quickly get dismissed by the majority of people who receive it.

Humorous yes, but that's not the point of a press release. People in the mainstream media aren't going to read it the same way we do. There's a generational and cultural gap here and to play the game we have to speak their language.
  19. Re: Sea Arrrgh Press Release?

Well, considering I'm actually a professional who does this stuff all the time, I do know what I'm doing, but whatever. I've justified my reasons for doing it this way - which is to pitch this as a story, not just to provide information - but if the hivemind feels differently, then that's the way we do things.

Okay, when you read a news story, or see a feature on the TV news, what interests you? Would you care more about 'protesters are protesting' or 'oooh! Pirates!' Because that's the way the media think.

There's something that PR people have to think about when preparing press releases, and I think we need to consider it too. It's called the 'so what? test'. If you pick up a press release, and put yourself in the shoes of the person who is likely to be reading it, you've got to think whether they'll just say 'so what?' when reading it.

That's why it's got to have a human interest angle that means something to people outside of the groups it directly affects. If it doesn't affect a huge amount of people, then you need to either convince them that it actually does have an impact on them, by finding that angle, or you need to make it interesting.

If it doesn't impact them, or it does only to a minor degree, then you can make it interesting either by being funny, or weird.

If it impacts people, and also is funny and/or weird - that's a damn news story.

'Protesters are protesting' is 'Dog Bites Man'.

'Over 9000 Pirates are going to be griefing a UFO Cult - and wow, they've actually got a good reason for doing so!' - that there is 'Man Bites Dog!'

Y'all see the difference?

Anyway, here endeth the lesson. Do what thou wilt.
  20. gregg Member

Ok Boris's looks good to me, its just missing citations/sources with links at the bottom. Anyone care to take some time and add in all the little things?
  21. anon2487 Member

Sorry to continue the threadjack...but press releases are something we've done really badly to date (as evidenced by the total lack of coverage the releases have garnered in the past). I've helped out previously - not really knowing what I was doing - and in the final analysis I think that a lot of what I and other people submitted was actually counter-productive.

Lulzy/serious definitely isn't the test, and the "STOP PRESS Announcement style" (that I thought was right, is total fail) Newsworthiness is the only thing that's important, and writing it up in such a way that the text can be copypasta'd wholesale into the paper is key.

Liberty's the proof of this; they've been massively successful publicising the "cult" issue in the UK, and when you read their releases, this is exactly what they do. They write the article they'd like to see, in a way that will interest the meedja. 90% of the coverage they've gotten, has then taken that press release's text pretty much verbatim.

See: (for most recent example)
    Liberty - Protecting Civil Liberties Promoting Human Rights : Free speech victory as charges against teen anti-Scientology protestor dropped

Threadjack over. Sorry. :grin:
  22. CanHazCake Member

I'm torn between the two of these. I think that each of them goes too far in one of two very important directions. A press release is not a party invitation and it shouldn't sound like one, even if it is for a good cause, but guys, they aren't going to be interested if we don't give them something interesting.

These people want something that their readers are actually going to want to read. The article about ENG was engaging because the concept of taking a minor to court over a word on a picket sign is outrageous.

Dressing as pirates to protest the Sea Org is also outrageous, but we need to not get carried away and focus on the relevance of dressing as pirates rather than the pirate-ness. Mention it twice once at the beginning and once at the end, maybe in the middle but not without good thought. Leave out the pirate jokes.

Isn't there some happy medium between "Blah blah news story" and "OOOH pirates!!!"

I write my own, but I'm walking out the door right now.
  23. newsguy203 Member

Version #3:

Anonymous, the movement dedictated to exposing and eliminating abuses within Scientology, will stage its fifth protest this 14th of June. The theme for this protest, "Sea Argh" will see Anonymous donning pirate garb as a send up of Scientology's paramilitary organisation, the Sea Org.

Scientology's Sea Org can be legitimately described as a paramilitary group, with a genuine militaristic chain of command, complete with naval styled uniforms and insignia of rank. Scientology maintains an armed compound surrounded by razor wire and CCTV cameras at its "Gold Base" in California.

Sea Org members sign a billion year contract when they sign up. They are not paid a livable wage. OH&S breaches have in the past been responsible for deaths that might have been easily avoided. They are not permitted to have children. Pregnant women will be pressured to have abortions under threat of disciplinary proceedings should they refuse.

Chief among Sea Org abuses is the RPF (Rehabilitation Project Force). Sea Org staff that fall foul of Scientology's arbitrary and absurd disciplinary procedures, can be committed to the RPF for months or years at a time for even minor infractions of Scientology policy. RPF inmates are poorly fed and assigned to demeaning, menial labour. They may not speak without first being spoken to. Scientology's claim that the RPF allows 'parishioners' to do penance for supposed wrongdoings does not justify their being denied basic human rights. Threat of the RPF is a powerful means by which Scientology maintains social control of its most committed members.

Anonymous hopes that public displays of opposition to Scientology's abuses will promote useful debate among Scientologists and members of the public leading to a better understanding of the true nature and merits of the Scientology organisation and an end to perceived abuses.
  24. AnonLover Member

dam, still have a stalemate dead in water state here?!?! fking A WE NEED THIS done and we need the process of press info'ing in general put in better perspective.

Here's $.25 U$D worth coming from an oldschool software engineer who once built a reputable a fax-based press release collection MIS system that i dont dare namefag moar 'cept that it made my client into a millionaire for a few short yrs till the web changed the world.

^^^THIS is version number #1. Textbook example of how to do it that is total FAIL IRL. alot of things are like that in real world, so no surprise here.

1/2 our problem = we doesnt have the much needed 2way classification of the shit we spew in place. all press releases should being classified as either A) Major Media Outlets. or B) Minor Media Outlets.

A) Major classification -> big ticket coverage venues no need 2 explain here. the Boris version #2 is so fking spot on perfect it made my panties wet. add the links at end, call it done. (Boris U Rock!!!)

B) Minor classification -> secondary web-based outlets & blogsphere world, smaller stuff where their gonna put out more like snippet commentary piece rather than full size article. newsguy203 #3 is likewise spot on perfect for this. add the links at end, call it done. (nice job newsguy!!)

most important point in the whole threadjack above = very few people can actually a good write a press release. we got 2 anons in the know right here putting up... listen to them. and if everyone else would stick to giving those few of worthy merit the copyedit support needed to spellchk, linkage, perfecta done the other 1/2 of our problems would go away & we'd really be able to kick ass on our releases all ways around.

[/threadUNjack]
  25. gregg Member

So lets go with boris's, someone want to do all the references and links in it and get me a final copy?

Our list of press contact email addresses has grown a little in the last week. Just a little. Maybe 12x...

So I am ready to send something out.
  26. AnonLover Member

Boris Version #2 w/ a wild guess at the links we'd want added??

27. AnonLover Member

Newsguy Version #3 spellchk'd and linkage (???) added

questionable fix needed in above copypasta: spelling organization & labor depending on which side of the pond u be on.
  28. AnonLover Member

EDITs on linkage in both major/minor versions above all done after a few tries... gregg how's that grab ya?
  29. gregg Member

30. AnonLover Member

yeah i agree - the longer major media version should have the formal references done to call it final version, but i'm not skilled enough as a formal writefag to tackle that easily. but i might give it try over the weekend if nobody else jumps in.

but i think the shorter minor media one is good enough to call "done" for less formal purposes... atleast for what i needed copypasta for in regards to use in the blogosphere & intertube realms. thks again newsguy203!
  31. clu- Member

here is a full edit of the press release. i didnt know about this composition subforum as i dont really keep up with enturb so i havent gotten to it sooner, but here it is edited if anyone sends this out after the mass mailing, which is happening as i type.

32. gregg Member

The press release is now on its way to our mailing list, which is now at 385,057 email addresses worldwide. All press or press related email addresses.
  33. Re: Sea Arrrgh Press Release?

Nearly 400k? That's powerful voice of God type stuff!

If the release itself doesn't get people talking, the fact that we managed to nail that much media in one shot is a hell of a powerful message in itself.

...just hope it doesn't get the mailer b& and listed as spam.
  34. Sargo Member

Contact anonymous: anonymous@whyweprotest.net

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

On June 14th Anonymous sets sail across the world with a hearty 'yo ho ho,' launching Operation: Sea Arrrgh[1], an initiative that will bring focus to the Church of Scientology's Sea Organization, or Sea Org as it is more commonly known.

Operation Sea Arrrgh continues the tradition of global peaceful protests aimed at shedding light on the Church of Scientology. This time the theme is one of high crimes upon the seven seas, and as such, Anonymous has decided that a pirate theme is appropriate.

This is Anonymous' fifth protest since January 2008. Since the campaign to highlight the abuses of the Church of Scientology began, over 10,000 members of Anonymous have protested in over 100 cities worldwide. Past protests have highlighted the controversial and avoidable death of Lisa McPherson in a Scientology compound, tax exemptions that are unjustified and inappropriate, exposure of the Church of Scientology's cruel "Disconnection" policy that splits up families, and tackling the “Fair Game” tactics of intimidation and litigation that they employ against critics.

With Operation Sea Arrrgh, Anonymous aims to bring to light the Church of Scientology's Sea Organization. According to the Church's website, the Sea Org “is composed of the most dedicated Scientologists in the world — individuals who have dedicated their lives to the service of their religion".

While this may, at face value, sound admirable, Sea Org members are forced to sign billion year service contracts which entail working for pay that falls below livable wages in most countries. Female members who become pregnant are pressured into having abortions, and there is also evidence that children who are part of families in the organization are often forced into hard physical labor[2].

In addition, the Church of Scientology-owned ship MV Freewinds, which is manned by the Sea Org, is currently grounded due to it being contaminated with cancer-causing blue asbestos[3]. This is a fact the Church of Scientology has been aware of for decades, but has hidden from shipping authorities and even many within their own organization[4][5]. Anonymous considers this to be yet another crime committed by the leadership of the Church of Scientology, as it has put its own members aboard this most un-shipshape vessel into serious physical danger.

Anonymous consists of individuals united by common beliefs in freedom of speech and basic human rights[6], both of which have been suppressed by the Church of Scientology. They also like pirates and are looking forward to getting into character and hunting for booty at this next event! The prized treasure that they seek however is more valuable than doubloons or pieces of eight - it's a raised public awareness of what they consider to be the scurrilous and black-hearted activities of the Church of Scientology.

Members of Anonymous tend to conceal their identities while protesting due to the Church of Scientology's aggressive policy of stifling criticism through abuse of the courts and other tactics of intimidation. The media has labeled Anonymous as "Cyber Activists", while the Church of Scientology insists upon accusing the group of being "terrorists" - a label that Anonymous utterly rejects.

Members of the press and media are invited to find out more at the following websites:[6][7][8]

[1] Operation: Sea Arrrgh - June 14

[2] Operation Clambake presents: A Paramilitary Cult

[3]http://newsblaze.com/story/20080501044835tsop.nb/topstory.html

[4]http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2008/04/scientology-freewinds-asbestos-tom-cruise.php

[5]http://www.lermanet.com/scientology/LawrenceWoodcraftAsbestos.htm

[6]http://whyweprotest.net
    [7]http://youfoundthecard.com
    [8]http://enturbulation.org

...and also to come along and see for themselves what takes place at these protests.

Timbers will be shivered!

i added links and shit
    should be great now for lazyfags such as mysefl
  35. alpanon Member

Should the "Contact anonymous" e-mail be on top or at the end of the release?

Also, I think the web links at the bottom need titles in addition to URLs:

My suggestion for the edited links section:

#4 might need some tweaking to fit on to a standard page, and for aesthetics.
  36. HellRazor Member