Customize

Scn Business rates relief UK

Discussion in 'Scientology Property Tax' started by RolandRB, Jul 5, 2010.

1. RolandRB Member

Re: Scn Business rates relief UK

Dear M Xxxxxxx,

I thank you for your detailed response. I am sure this issue can be settled with minimum cost to the rate payer. The duties of local authorities in this regard are set out in law and so the matter should be straight forward. Local authorities have a statutory duty to collect non-domestic rates on behalf of the government according to specific laws in a similar way, I feel, to motorists being obliged to stop at red traffic lights. Neither case is encompassed by granted decision-making powers. However, I would stress that this is my opinion only and I am not a lawyer nor do I have any legal qualifications to make a judgment on this matter.

Roland
  2. RolandRB Member

Me too. I wonder why I bang my head against the wall as often as I do if no other cunt can be bothered to pull their finger out.
  3. Anonymous Member

4. Sponge Member

Would that mean his costs relating to investigating, right? Or costs such as if the cult threatens a shit load of litigation hassle, like what happened with CoL in the first place.
  5. RolandRB Member

I think you are tuning into this quite nicely.
  6. Anonymous Member

Check your PMs on ESMB, Roland. I hope that news provides a little encouragement.
  7. RolandRB Member

A warm fart on a cold night.
  8. Anonymous Member

Is that good or bad?

I suppose it depends on your sense of smell.

Anyway, we do what we can. Your info helped a lot.
  9. Anonymous Member

Nice. Very nice.

View attachment images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRUTUj1dyF5KJ8LRBiZOD1vtaI_zY1sz
  10. RolandRB Member

Don't get me wrong. More people need to do this. But what makes me feel good is an actual politician actually doing something constructively useful. We have a new Conservative government in the UK with an economic problem to solve and as a Conservative government they will be following the unwritten motto of "soaking the poor until the pips squeak" as they always do in varying degrees. Nobody in government is going to come down hard or even pleadingly gently on the rich who can afford accountants and lawyers to solve this economic crisis. It will be the poor who have to pay. The Church of Scientology are immune from all this so long as they have a few lawyers to rattle at the taxman.
  11. Anonymous Member

I dunno about politicians in general, but let's give this new bunch a chance to prove their worth before we condemn them.

With the information presented in this thread, on the wiki and on a couple of other cult-busting sites, I was able to make a very accurate explanation of how much tax money is being lost to the economy and how. I was able to identify buildings getting rates relief, name the Cult front-group and provide company registration info, identify relevant pieces of legislation, and put dates to each decision. This means we don't sound like butthurt loonies, and we make things easier for the politician because we don't leave their researchers with a huge job of fact checking. Little by little, I am training up a new cadre of British Xenophons.

Also, it helps to be able to point them at the 'Today Tonight' programme that nicely sums up the COSRECI scandal in a few minutes, using language that ordinary people can understand... and to suggest a simple next step for the recipient: watch BBC1 on Tuesday evening.

The net is closing.
  12. Anonymous Member

If you have a well-written standard letter to politicians, perhaps the members of the City of London's Audit and Risk Management Sub Committee should receive a copy?

Committee details

Post it here and I'll send it myself if you like.

- WT.
  13. Anonymous Member

Other Audit committees for local authorities providing rates relief to Scientology:

Sunderland:
    Sunderland City Council : Year Book
    http://www.sunderland.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=9300&p=0
    (remember Sunderland is opting to award discretionary as well as mandatory (charitable) relief).

Camden:
    Camden Council: Discussions: Committee details
    (TCR)

Westminster:
    Westminster City Council - Policy and Scrutiny Committees
    Westminster City Council - Westminster Scrutiny Commission

Brum:
    Finance Overview & Scrutiny Committee - Birmingham City Council
  14. RolandRB Member

Fun and games while I do this work.......

---------------------------
    Dear Dr. Xxxxxxx,

I would like to explain why I discharged myself from your university clinic on Wednesday 22nd September 2010. As I understood the situation, I was there for a checkup and a second opinion and was only going to be there for two days. It was understandable to me to be there for a third day as a consequence of the failure to insert an infusion needle into my arm. Although I have a port fitted, and it was clear before any medical procedure was performed on me that that was the case, it seemed that none of the relevant departments were in possession of a port needle and the operatives lacked the skill needed to insert an infusion needle into my arm. So during my endoscopy procedure the sleep drug given to me on the first attempt did not enter my blood stream, due to a fault inserting the needle, and the second attempt was only partially successful. This resulted in excessive sleep drug slowly entering my system afterwards and making me sleepy for the rest of the day and so it was necessary to stay for a full two days. On the third day it was explained to me that I needed an operation to remove a tumour in my duodenum. As I understand it, this procedure involves major surgery. You can perhaps understand my reluctance in that if your university clinic lacks such basic equipment as a port needle and the operatives lack the skill to insert an infusion needle into a patient's arm then it was a daunting prospect to give myself over to major surgery in such circumstances. It was also my understanding that it would be better if a person were in good physical condition before undergoing major surgery but the vegetable soup given me for the three days I was at the clinic did nothing to strengthen me and indeed weakened my strength so I did not feel I was in the correct physical condition to undergo the recommended major surgery procedure. When the second infusion needle in my arm was removed to make way for a third then I took the opportunity at that point to leave the clinic and to go home.

Please pass on the results of the findings of the clinic to the hospital in Biberach and my House Doctor.

Yours sincerely,
    Roland Rashleigh-Berry.
  15. Bluebell Member

16. Anonymous Member

I'm very sorry to hear about your troubles, Roland. Hope you receive better care elsewhere, like you deserve.

Rooting for you, mate.
  17. AnonyMary Member

Roland, really sorry to read about your tumor and the problems you encountered at the clinic while you were there last. I'm sure your letter impinged on the doctor and that things wil be better next time. I just hope you get the tumor out asap. A body needs a healthy duodenum to digest food properly. We want you healthy!

~ Mary McConnell
  18. Anonymous Member

Get well soon, Roland and Roland's duodenum!

I hope it works out ok.

- WT.
  19. Anonymous Member

20. Anonymous Member

BBC News - Panorama - Contact us

21. RolandRB Member

I emailed them about the missing $87,160,000 but they would never dare.
  22. Anonymous Member

The 'business rates' issue is a better story IMO (because it's about taxpayers money).
  23. RolandRB Member

Absolutely. The TV viewers are having money taken out of their pockets. That's a bit more arresting than listening to the stories of some cult idiots who should have never joined in the first place.
  24. RolandRB Member

I've just been looking at old photos of Al Capone's soup kitchens he ran during the depression. Who has ever heard of a Scientology soup kitchen or a Scientology homeless centre? It makes me sick that they get public money thrown at them because local authorities have decided that they are a charity and do charitable things.
    -----------------------
    Scientology business rates relief in the UK -- 19SEP2010 -- (PDF version)
  25. Anonymous Member

that's an apt comparison.
  26. RolandRB Member

Q: What's the difference between Al Capone and the Church of Scientology?

A: Al Capone ran soup kitchens for the poor and got done for tax evasion whereas the Church of Scientology gives nothing to the poor and they get away with tax evasion.
  27. Anonymous Member

WARNING -although I think this is somewhat equivocal, it's liable to make Roland happy:

View attachment images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTPtOG_lLsDEY2Ei5x05KljPXUzPgM5c

68 Tottenham Court Rd - Scientology rates exemption? - WhatDoTheyKnow

28. RolandRB Member

29. Anonymous Member

yeah? I thought it almost-sorta-maybe-nearly confirmed that they had an investigation in progress.

oh, go watch Sweeney again. :) that'll cheer you up.
  30. Anonymous Member

Is pretty much word for word the same as this FOI respose

Scientology Rates Relief (TCR)
  31. Anonymous Member

32. RolandRB Member

It seemed that way before but it has taken a long time now. Surely such an investigation would be over. And would Camden be in isolation? I doubt it if there was a real investigation going on and if so then how come we got this info from other boroughs?

I'll read it again. Maybe I was in too negative a mood yesterday.

Edit: I see the bit about Court proceedings. It does seem like there is an investigation in progress and it will take a long time to come to court. The Audit Commission don't seem to know about it but then why should they. This is good news (I hope). Another reason to do nothing but wait. :eek:)

Edit2: Thinking more about this it could be that Camden are demanding the clams pay full non-domestic rates and have backdated it and the clams are refusing to pay so Camden are taking them to court. This would explain why it has not hit the news and why the Audit Commission know nothing about it. But if this is the case then surely the other boroughs will be acting in unison.
  33. Anonymous Member

34. RolandRB Member

35. Anonymous Member

fuck yeah!
  36. DeathHamster Member

37. Re: Scn Business rates relief UK

Not bad, eh Roland? John Sweeney, Pwnorama and the actual Bee Bee Cee as /b/lackup!

Might treat m'self to a pink gin, join me, what?
  38. Bluebell Member

Yea I think 'll join ya for a drink, Mines a bacardi breezer though.
  39. AnotherSock Member

Why does the article show a picture of the cult's Idle Org on QVS, and then mention only the rates relief on the Celebrity Brainwashing Centre in Leinster Gardens?

"£165,303 over the past 10 years" is not the full story. Harpoons?
  40. Bluebell Member

missed this did ya

[ The City of London Corporation granted the Church's London headquarters on Queen Victoria Street mandatory 80% rates relief on the grounds that it is "a charity or other organisation established for charitable purposes" and that "the property is wholly or mainly used for charitable purposes." ]