Customize

Scn Business rates relief UK

Discussion in 'Scientology Property Tax' started by RolandRB, Jul 5, 2010.

1. RolandRB Member

Scn Business rates relief UK

I am starting this thread so people can report on the status of business rates relief for all Scn properties in the UK and what is happening about it from day to day.
  2. RolandRB Member

Re: Scn Business rates relief UK

Camden council were looking at my document today. That's where the Martian Embassy is (68 Tottenham Court Road).

Scientology business rates relief in the UK
  3. RolandRB Member

4. RolandRB Member

The UK goes to sleep. Resting after a jolly interesting day. A couple of people have written into complain about the cult - "wow, that's jolly interesting - I hope it does something to stop this".

My Dear English countrymen, it is your money that is being given to the cult in the form of business rates relief in the UK. You are paying that money. It is coming out of your pocket. That gives the cult power. And they flex that power in the form of bullying, torture, disconnection, forced abortions and whatever.

So what did you do today? Watched developments from the comfort of your armchair and felt jolly pleased with the way things were going? Spiffing, jolly good and all that! Well, in that day you did not do a fucking thing the cult probably forced a young woman to abort an unborn child using your money to put pressure on her. So how does it feel to sleep tonight?

I have given you the perfect tool to close the cult down in the UK. Link to it below.

Every moment you delay in doing something to stop this cult, another person gets hurt and another child gets aborted.

I have given you the weapon to stop this.

Now fucking use it !!
  5. JohnnyRUClear Member

Angry Roland is angry, but has a good point. C'mon, folks! This will be more effective than a protest. This will seriously impair the cult's abilities.

SUPPRESS THAT CULT!
  6. Heinrich Member

Because shit happens overnight just like that! Oh look, the national debt disappeared like magick too! Or maybe some people have lives outside this stuff. I've sent a link and some info to my local council. Doesn't mean they've read it. A bunch of others may have done so too, maybe they're waiting for a reply.

In short; stop being so gobby and hurry up and wait.
  7. RolandRB Member

If your name is Heinrich and you live in Poland then it is not your problem. This is a UK problem. My document is only good for England and Wales because the laws I quote only cover that part of the UK.

The local councils would take away the business rates relief they are giving the clams if they got together and gave the document a serious read. The trouble is, they won't do that and so the situation carries on as before. What would be really useful is for somebody who knows the document well to arrange a meeting with the local council and talk them through the document. Of course, that person would have to be a good talker. Such people are rare.

8. charlie Member

9. Anonymous Member

Are there any WWPers who are resident in the CoL?
  10. Anonymous Member

Poon'd Mayor of London regarding this, wonder if Boris Johnson would fancy himself as a Senator Xenophon... :-D

City of London also has FOI notice outstanding so we shall see what happens with that.
  11. Anonymous Member

Poon'd Plymouth City revenue department.
  12. RolandRB Member

Bob Neill is the obvious champion but I haven't heard anything back from him. But Bonkers Boris would almost certainly get reelected if he adopted this Scientology thing and insisted that business rates relief was withdrawn from their three London premises. People would be dancing in the streets.
  13. RolandRB Member

In fact yes, this would work like magic. WWPers need to pile in on this in very large numbers.
  14. RolandRB Member

15. JohnnyRUClear Member

At least [strike]100[/strike]15 or 20 would be, no doubt! And what challenger could withstand a voter onslaught of that magnitude?

BTW, Roland: lrn2edit.

[IMG]
  16. AnonyVix Member

FYI:

Celebrity Centre, 42 Leinster Gardens, London, W2 3AN is actually under the City of Westminster jurisdiction.

Westminster City Council - Contact us online

Only

Church of Scientology, 146 Queen Victoria Street, London, EC4V 4BY is under the City of London jurisdiction for Business Rates.

Poon fired to City of Westminster.

I think Mayor of London covers Greater London which includes Westminster though. Difference between boroughs and political boundaries apparently.
  17. Anonymous Member

So the game is afoot. Let's see what legalese comes out from this one.
  18. RolandRB Member

Exactly, so hopefully the BOMBARD BONKERS BORIS campaign is on.

The clams get business rates relief on 146 QVS (City of London), 42 Leinster Gardens (City of Westminster) and presumably on 68 TCR (Camden). Time to complain about it to the Mayor of London. Send him a link to the following doc.

19. AnonyVix Member

The lazier amongst us can contact via:

Online Enquiry Form | Greater London Authority

No registration required nor email verification taken, although one assumes the email address taken will be used for a reply.
  20. charlie Member

BINGO TFFT VOA - Contact the VOA

Finely got through to somebody thats took some notice, they are getting back to me about QVS.
  21. RolandRB Member

I just got a page hit from the Greater London Authority.
  22. Anonymous Member

23. Anonymous Member

I did what you said, clicked where it says to click, and the picture got bigger, while the rest of the page darkened. That's strange.
  24. Anonymous Member

Johnny wasn't Clear enough.
  25. RolandRB Member

Good Idea!
  26. Anonymous Member

Show me a motherfucking Clear!
  27. themadhair Member

Image previewer.
  28. Anonymous Member

pooned
  29. Anonymous Member

Well, you can rule out Johnny.
  30. AnonyVix Member

Huh, they're the guys who set the valuations for rates, the councils apply them. Still poons can have many targets. Good work.
  31. ScudMuffin Member

I've pooned Brum City Council with it. Going to hit whatever else I can.
  32. RightOn Member

Found this blog dated November 2009
    Labour’s Equality Bill will give tax breaks to Scientologists
    Do not know if it is of any use. I only skimmed and it seems like it can be of some use?

Cranmer: Labour
  33. charlie Member

I no Vix they told me that yesterday, I phoned the London office to ask about 146 QVS and got through to Plymouth?? who redirected me to Anwick (Northumerland our local office the guy there checked on the computer, he told me there was a lot there and could he ring me back as he had read through it, when he rang back he told me that as it was a London case, so the London office has my number's and I'm not expecting miracles.
  34. RolandRB Member

The Equality Act 2006 is already in force. It gets a mention in my document and you can link to it in the Place of Worship section at the end which is where I thought it appropriate to place it. In the case of a religious philosophy being treated equally to a religion then maybe they can claim it is unfair to allow business rates exemption for a place of worship but not give it to a building of religious congregation which churches of Scientology sort of are.
  35. AnonyVix Member

I think there may be a hole in the legislation that needs to be plugged. Given the above blog though it's clear the Conservatives have previously considered it.

I also think this must be where their drive to be recognised as a religion in the UK is heading. We are a religion, we have places of religious worship, we demand tax exemptions!

EDIT: Reading the Equality Act 2006 it has some interesting exemptions. Still trying to figure them all out at this time.
  36. RolandRB Member

Not quite like that. They can say "we are a religious philosophy and we should be treated equal to any other religion. We do not worship - we have training and auditing instead. And since you give tax exemption for places of worship then we demand the same for our Orgs where we do training and auditing".

They have got a chance of pulling that off. It may have been used in the City of London case for all we know. We will never learn the details.
  37. AnonyVix Member

With respect to the City of London, are we not expecting an FOI response from them still? There is after all a very compelling public interest in the answer.

With respect to the 2006 Equalities Act I don't think the argument is as simple as you think although it's definitely a grey area, largely due to the commercial nature of their enterprise (which is why they shouldn't) and the lack of definition of religion in law (which grows ever wider as alluded to in the Australian debates); which is why I'm sure they're battling for religious recognition in the UK so they can start using all that juicy religious preference legislation.

The whole religion thing is a legislative mess.

Incidentally, public authorities generally cannot discriminate however the following exceptions apply:

Section 58 under General exceptions also makes interesting reading.

My reading of this exempts the Charities Commission from having to grant charity status to a religion (for the advancement of religion) which makes sense under the removal of the presumption of benefit from religion; which effectively allows one to say your religion is not a benefit so you're not getting charity status, which would be illegal under this act otherwise.

Section 64 also makes interesting reading.

My reading suggests the Secretary of State can amend the exceptions to this act using a statutory instrument, which is a simpler and quicker process than passing a new bill, see below. In this instance the affirmative instrument is being applied.

38. AnonyVix Member

This might also be a telling exclusion:

In Part 2 related to religious discrimination, in the section providing for religious organisations to be exempt from discrimination (so they can exclude hecklers I guess) it reads as follows:

So this section specifically does not allow organisations which may otherwise claim to be religious under the wider definition of religion / belief to discriminate if their sole or main purpose is commercial. Now how may organisations do you think this might mean?

Actually there are a number of "life style philosophy" groups who might have been included otherwise but fact is most of these groups have so far operated as legitimate commercial enterprises and not considered going for religious exemptions to taxation and rates (Ultimate Pick Up Artists for instance) but there is always one exception that proves the need for the rule, right? ;-)
  39. charlie Member

Did'nt get one.
  40. RolandRB Member

England goes for their lunch break now. There have been no significant hits on my web page you can link to in my sig. Just the guy from Gateshead and some guy or gal from Grimsby who maybe thinks the Church of Scientology is going to buy up that church everybody is talking about there. It won't be the Co$. Put it out of your mind. They are interested in people with money not a town with nearly everybody on the dole.