Customize

Scios & CCHR try to stop Texas Senate Bill 1505

Discussion in 'CoS Front Groups' started by Anonymous, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Anonymous Member

This email has been circulating the scientologist ranks. The meeting was Apriil 7th.

I can see here
    Texas Legislature Online - 81(R) History for SB 1505
    that testimony was taken about this bill.

Can anyone get copies, public access video, or a transcript of this meeting and find out what the scilons said?

cchrtx.jpg
  2. Anonymous Member

Re: Scios & CCHR try to stop Texas Senate Bill 1505

WTF--reading the bill right now--http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/81R/billtext/pdf/SB01505I.pdf

Welcome to the police state...

"Any peace officer may arrest, without warrant:
    (1)AApersons found in suspicious places and under
    circumstances which reasonably show that such persons have been
    guilty of some felony, violation of Title 9, Chapter 42, Penal Code,
    breach of the peace, or offense under Section 49.02, Penal Code, or
    threaten, or are about to commit some offense against the laws"
  3. Anonymous Member

4. star eht Member

wait... it'S a BAD bill, that the BAD CCHR will protest...
    do we side by the CCHR, or simply avoid it, and let others do it should obviously get people attention?

what i'm more afraid, is that if the CCHR alone is around, people will mistake them for a genuine human right group. and join them etc.
  5. Anonymous Member

So why is the bill bad? tl;dr version?

Uhm, the bit you're quoting isn't actually bad - it just seems very redundant.
  6. A.Non Hubbard Member

If the bill is generally unpopular, then we should not help publicize the CoS at all. We do that by staying away.
  7. mrfyde Member

Edit Part of this post deleted because on second viewing it was not relevant.

It is kinda funny that the CCHR people are scared of this thing because people could be released from jail and have to go to see a psych. Instead of the bill allowing people that simply look like they might have committed a crime to be arrested. (Yikes)

The CCHR was gathering to protest the bill April 7th to bad nobody was there to meet them.
  8. anon555 Member

i dont see why its a bad bill, basically it allows the judge to require mental assessment and treatment as a condition of bail IF defendent's mental condition may interfer with his ability to defend himself
  9. mrfyde Member

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/81R/billtext/pdf/SB01505I.pdf

Read the entire thing not just the part the CCHR is against.
  10. Anonymous Member

I don't think this is relevant to anon interests . I vote we let CCHR do their thing.
  11. Re: Scios & CCHR try to stop Texas Senate Bill 1505

I think people were calling it a bad bill because of the whole "may arrest because of looking suspicious" thing -- but that part is already in law: CODE OF CRIMINAL PROCEDURE CHAPTER 14. ARREST WITHOUT WARRANT

For some stupid reason -- or so it appears -- if a bill introduced in the Texas legislature is amending an existing law, the entire law must be quoted. Only the UNDERLINED sections are what this bill is trying to achieve; and in that case, it's a bill about referring folks to mental health professionals, which of course makes the CCHR shit bricks.

Texasfags...

Harpoons.jpg

If for no other reason than to educate the Texas State Senate about the CCHR.

Also, try not to look suspicious anymore kthxv&.
  12. Anonymous Member

Of course the police can arrest you upon reasonable suspicion of a crime - that has pretty much been the case forever.

And yes, in the bill text, it is the underlined and strike-through parts which tell you what is being changed in the law. This bill is ONLY about psychiatric cases (mental health/retardation).

This seems like a good bill to me: It allows release to psychiatric care rather than keeping people in jail. If CCHR gets what they want, they'll just see psychiatric patients being treated in jail rather than being sent home to outpatient care or staying at a non-penal psychiatric unit. If anything, the opposition to this bill should be from those who are afraid that psychiatrically unstable people are released on bail too easily - pretty much the opposite of the CCHR's position.
  13. anon555 Member

i agree, i think some people misunderstood what was being changed, the only addition to the police may arrest without a warrant includes suspicion of jumping bail, and of course the mental treatment part.

the website says bill considered in public hearing and testimony taken April 7, I assume that's when the scilons spoke.

I still say its a good law, but I dont think there's anything for anon to get involved with, I doubt the CCHR have much influence on Texas politics, let them jump up and down like the loons they are, texan politicians won't even notice them
  14. Anonymous Member

CCHR wants to keep psychiatric patients in jail - opposes bill which would give them bail.
    That is the truth of the matter. It is absurd; that is until you realize that the CCHR is not at all concerned with the rights of psychiatric patients - they only want to eradicate the mental health profession and starve it of business to that end. They just forgot to consider that even if the patient remains in jail, he or she still has a right to mental health assistance, and might be getting that with an even higher cost to the state, because the visiting psychiatrist's travel expenses, or perhaps even the salary of an on-staff psychiatrists have to be paid for.

This rally only makes logical sense as a feel-good exercise for the ronbots, or as a regging (sales)-opportunity for Scientology to sell more courses to their "publics".
  15. anon555 Member

found it:

minutes of meeting isnt yet available, most recent minutes are 4/2/09 so we'll have to wait a few days to read what the loons said
  16. star eht Member

okay, so it'S a GOOD bill, make things easiers.
    (disregard my earlier post, I suck coc*s)

then we could troll them somehow
  17. mrfyde Member

Me 2 coc*s
  18. Re: Scios & CCHR try to stop Texas Senate Bill 1505

The bill makes sense. If someone is mentally defective or mentally challenged...retarded... they should be required to see someone about it to make sure they don't commit another crime.

If they can be medicated by a psychiatrist and that could prevent further crimes, than it's a good thing.

CCHR's motivation to stop this bill is transparent.

Obvious cult is obvious.
  19. TypingChimp Member

I'd be willing to bet the Texas legislators' reaction was something akin to "Lolwut?" or "Are you fucking stupid?"
  20. anon555 Member

Committee Minutes Display

just a quick update, it seems those texan politicians couldn't be bothered to listen to a bunch of 'anti-psych' quacks,

bill was sent to the next phase of well, wherever a bill goes, with a vote of 5 for, 0 against

quick note on the scieno memo, what is this "if the bill gets passed, it will affect you no matter where you live"

exactly how many deranged scientologists facing jailtime are there?