Customize

Scilon posts a threat to anonymous on ARS - read and report!

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by Oinkertron9000, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Mikomi Member

Re: Scilon posts a threat to anonymous on ARS - read and report!

I might laugh a bit if they paid someone to burn one of their own buildings down. :lol:
  2. Green Member

There are easier ways to break into a car than a slim jim you Scilon dummies.
  3. anonEmouser Member

But when all you have to work with is Randy Savage...whats a scilon to do? :lrhcries:
  4. Re: Scilon posts a threat to anonymous on ARS - read and report!

I've communicated with several people who are experts on net.kooks in general and Alan Connor in particular, and they agree that "Tom Newton" is the latest alias of the person best known as Alan Connor[/url:1u1kb6gu], not that "Alan Connor" is likely to be his real name either. Those experts have looked at what he's posting in ars and called it trolling, but that doesn't mean he's not a net.kook as well, as he's posting his usual weirdness on alt.config and alt.os.linux.slackware.

FWIW, he's probably the most notorious net.kook at large on USENET who doesn't have a
    USENET kook award from alt.usenet.kooks[/url:1u1kb6gu]. Perhaps the Anonymous on ars could help give him one by crossposting their responses to him to alt.usenet.kooks. That might even make him shut up and go away, as he has a history of running away from posts with AUK in the newsgroups line. :idea:

Speaking of net.kooks on ars,
    Barbara Schwarz[/url:1u1kb6gu] is probably the most notorious one currently posting to the froup. She's the one behind this LULZY accusation that Anonymous is acting on behalf of the German Secret Service to destroy the Co$[/url:1u1kb6gu]. The interesting thing is that she's apparently persona non grata in Co$, but she still defends the organization. Go figure. :roll:
  5. Re: Scilon posts a threat to anonymous on A.R.S

Sending the abuse complaints to Google groups for this message is meaningless, as "Tom" didn't post using Google Groups. He was using Motzarella. Do what this poster did[/url:2i5rqbfg] and report him to Motzarella.

Interestingly enough, that may have already worked. A little over two hours after the message reporting "Tom" to Motzarella was posted, "Tom" made
    his last post so far to USENET[/url:2i5rqbfg] from Motzarella. After that, he posted as Tom N from Google Groups[/url:2i5rqbfg], leaving his IP address flapping in the breeze. FWIW, I checked; it's not a proxy and is consistent with the location known for "Alan Connor" before he started using Motzarella. Law Enforcement might find his real IP address very useful. *evil chuckle* :twisted:
  6. Dropd4s Member

So Alan/Tom is in Fayetteville Arkansas? LAT 36.0630 LONG. -94.1832
  7. ZOOMzoom Member

You really are an old fart! I haven't heard that word in ages... gives me a fuzzy feeling. :mrgreen:
  8. Re: Scilon posts a threat to anonymous on ARS - read and report!

WTF?!? I'm from Fayetteville. Does his IP resolve to Cox Internet or the University of Arkansas?

Details? I have people...
  9. Dropd4s Member

That IP resolves to an ISP called Clearwire
  10. Re: Scilon posts a threat to anonymous on ARS - read and report!

crap. clearwire is a nationwide wireless internet. he could literally drive to new york with his internet connection open. dead end.
  11. Dropd4s Member

Yeah, but something occurred to me about that. Depending on how clearwire covers a specific geographical location, would his system not have to resolve it's hostname to a new nameserver if he did leave the area of Fayetteville?
  12. Re: Scilon posts a threat to anonymous on ARS - read and report!

Hi, there, fellow old fart! :D

Yep, I am. I've been on the 'Net longer than some of Anonymous have been alive. I got my first email address in 1990 (from an .edu domain, no less) and started posting to USENET in Spring of 1992, which means I pre-date the Endless September by more than a year-and-a-half. I started following net-kooks in 1995, when I first encountered Archimedes Plutonium[/url:3v9bmts4] (third from the bottom of the lits). I started reading the UPA froups (Hail Fluffy!) in 2001, when one of their more notorious posters wandered into my home froup and started causing chaos there. My USENET experience has never been the same since. :secret:
  13. Re: Scilon posts a threat to anonymous on ARS - read and report!

i have no experience to know if different places in the "grid" will read as different hostnames. it may, or it may not.
  14. Dropd4s Member

Also, "Tom" considers himself a total *nix guru and most of the *nix guys I hung out with would rather drive a nail through their dick than reboot their deck.

I think he is using a desktop machine because of some of his questions on the NG about using a pinnacle capture card, which is a desktop system expansion card.

Now that we know what city he lives in, all it takes is looking around at some of the local survivalist/militia groups, or quite possibly some of the *nix clubs around town. He shouldn't be too hard to identify based upon the uniquely insane quality of his screeds.
  15. Re: Scilon posts a threat to anonymous on ARS - read and report!

Fayetteville, AR? How did you determine that? :?:

You may be right, and I'm open to learning new net-tricks from my juniors, but it's not what I'm getting, not by any of the means I detail below.

First I ran the IP address through the IP information tool on DNSStuff and got the following.

http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/ipall.ch? ... 61.137.215
    The IP address resolved to Kirkland, Washington, which is Clearwire's HQ.

The same thing with a Whois--Clearwire HQ in Kirkland, WA.
    http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/whois.ch?ip=74.61.137.215

I've never run a Traceroute before, so I'm not sure how to read the results, but here they are.
    http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/tracert.c ... 61.137.215
    That goes all over the place and the final 4 hops are hidden. The route does indeed pass through Clearwire in Seattle, but the last stop that is readable is in Sunnyside, NY[/url:msabh7c4]. Those last 4 hops though, are behind a firewall and can't be located. That's not encouraging. The good news is that Clearwire doesn't serve NYC[/url:msabh7c4], so he's not there.

However, there is one reason to doubt he's actually in Fayetteville, or anywhere in Arkansas.
    The nearest Clearwire service area is in Texas, and most cities served are in the Pacific Northwest[/url:msabh7c4].

:idea:

Now, if "Tom Newton" is indeed "Alan Connor," the results are still consistent with it being him, although they're not conclusive. The IP addresses for the Alan Connor posts whose message IDs are listed in the
    Alan Connor FAQ[/url:msabh7c4] all are Earthlink addresses that originate from Eugene, Oregon[/url:msabh7c4], which also happens to one of the cities Clearwire serves[/url:msabh7c4]. However, all those posts are from 2004 and he may have moved since then. Sure enough, in a 2006 post, which is one of the last posts I can find from Alan before he switched from Earthlink[/url:msabh7c4] to Motzarella, the IP address resolves to Seattle, Washington[/url:msabh7c4], which is also a city that Clearwire serves. FWIW, the style of that Alan Connor post and the "Tom Newton" posts we've all read on ARS are very similar, although it's not conclusive.

I hope you all have found this bit of net-detective work useful, if a bit tl;dr. :examine:
  16. Dropd4s Member

Not at all! I used one of the IP tracers and it went to Washington as well, but, I used another tool and tested some IP's I knew for sure and it was pretty accurate.
    Here is a list that Tom and some of the more infamous "circlejerks" On ARS are on, and it shows that IP address http://home.primus.ca/~ronsharp/circlejerk.html

I did look up clearwire, and saw that Arkansas wa snot part of their coverage, however, it might be possible that a 3rd party does and piggybacks on the clearwire HW. I will be looking a little deeper into it, but you did some good stuff :)
  17. Re: Scilon posts a threat to anonymous on ARS - read and report!

The key phrase there is "considers himself." The tone of the FAQ on him is quite scornful of his programming skills. The same can be said of the people on USENET I know who have interacted with him. They think he's a mad scientist at best and more likely a complete incompetent.

Good catch.

I'm not convinced. All the evidence I've seen points elsewhere from the location that was first given.

When he was hanging around in misc.survivalism, the regulars there determined that he was a fraud[/url:1z6dokb2] and a liar[/url:1z6dokb2]. He may think he's a survivalist, but he really isn't.

BTW, a little tinfoil hat note for you all for some LULZ. For years, Alan posted from Earthlink. Who owns Earthlink?
    Skye Dayton[/url:1z6dokb2], a Scientologist[/url:1z6dokb2]. :tinfoil:
  18. Re: Scilon posts a threat to anonymous on ARS - read and report!

And that's the one that said he was posting from Fayetteville, AR? What tool is that, or would it be one that I'd be better off not knowing about? :secret:

Now that's an interesting resource, and potentially quite valuable, too. The first thing that struck me was that Ron Sharp thinks Koos Nolst Trenite[/url:28takvm4] is still posting to ARS. Really! He's an old school net.kook[/url:28takvm4]. I have a fondness for any of those still posting to USENET. The second was how many aliases Barbara Schwarz uses. I suppose she has to. Google Groups allows only so many posts a day from a particular account, so she has to switch from main account to alternate account to alias to sockpuppet after sockpuppet when she reaches her limit on each account. She is also a recognized net.kook[/url:28takvm4], BTW. Her behavior might earn her even more awards, should the Friendly Neighborhood Vote Wrangler of alt.usenet.kooks ever allow her back on the ballot. The third was that Tom Newton got netcopped to aioe.org. I've heard his IP address was banned from there. Unfortunately, he is using that service again, now that he's apparently lost his Motzarella account. Maybe he's using a different IP address to access aioe this time. Let's see how long that lasts. Finally, all the critical header information is listed--very handy for tracking abusers, spammers, trolls, and plants. :examine:

BTW, it's a pity he reported Dick the Draft Dodger. He's someone I might find useful. :twisted:

Thank you. I don't have that many resources at my disposal, but I know how to use them to their fullest. Someone once said I'm deadly with a search engine. At the risk of being immodest, I agree. I can almost always make Google sing and dance for me. 8)

In any event, good luck! :guyfawkes:
  19. an()n Member

don't mess with football.
  20. Re: Scilon posts a threat to anonymous on ARS - read and report!

how did he get fayetteville, Arkansas out of it? that's a middle of no where place. the odds of making a mistake like that are pretty high.
  21. Dropd4s Member

22. Re: Scilon posts a threat to anonymous on ARS - read and report!

Seriously, there's no way they could pull off something like this. I mean, as soon as they throw firebombs, we tackle them. As soon as we tackle them, we get police over there. Perhaps the police break up the protest, but come on. They'd have either a hired criminal or they'd have a scifag plant who'd tell them everything.
  23. Re: Scilon posts a threat to anonymous on ARS - read and report!

OK since there are a ton of computer weinies on here I just have to spring this on you for great wisdom...

my computer (laptop) over heats and just shuts down, I think I need to vaccum my fan, is it OK to unscrew the mysterious bits on the bottom of my computer to gently suck the world fuzz off the fan?

TIA

sfot
  24. madashell Member

Would you believe they actually make special vacuums for computers that dont generate static electricity?

I suggest you get some canned air and try "blowing" it out.
  25. Bunny Member

I worked for Clearwire. They're not as nationwide as they lead on,[/url:2w509t58] and each modem/laptop card has a unique serial associated with the account, along with the IP and MAC address. 3 mins on the phone with someone legal, and they can have the guy's info easy.
    and if he's in between three towers (and the tech isn't a knob) they can pin his location too.

EDIT: the IP 74.61.137.215 is legit, it's a clearwire signal, and it's close to where I live >.>....
  26. Bunny Member

use canned air (not the flamable kind for the love of god) and spray it out. and shuts down? they usuialy take alot to do that, like 115+ F temps......you try a cooling pad?

(pm me to continue this....)
  27. chick Member

So? where is he? call the fucking cops, it's a total written threat.
  28. anoncement Member

One thing, for a laptop, is to avoid using it on a soft surface like a carpet or bedspread. That can block the vents on the bottom and cause it to overheat. If you do use it somewhere like that just put something hard under it like a book.
  29. anoncement Member

It can be taken as an implied threat, which may be enough to get attention and investigation but not necessarily enough to result in an arrest. That is, he didn't say it would happen, or that he would do it, or even that he wanted it to happen... he posed it something that hypothetically could happen. I don't at all mean by that that it shouldn't be reported or that I wouldn't expect the feds to look into it. On the other hand I wouldn't expect local police to react to it at all (unless he happened to be in NYC).

Certainly if someone were to make a similar "implication" regarding the President of the US or something, the Secret Service would be all over it. But that kind of thing is in the news occasionally, and usually results in the end in no charges being filed.
  30. Unaware Member

Report it. Get it documented. If they try this it will be well documented that they(scientologists) planned it. We cannot have them clearly threaten the safety and well being of potentially hundreds of people. Document and report!
  31. Hieronymous Member

Remember people, they had a guy arrested over Tom Cruise missiles. Let's show the CoS what a level playing field looks like
  32. Anonylemmi Member

Yes, what happened to Keith Henson? Is he still in jail? Tom should serve his time as well, but he will have moar lawyers.
  33. Peter Schilte Member

Keith was released months ago after he did the time.
    Funny Tom is not (yet) subject to an investigation. I mean, just say "bomb" at the counter at an airfield. Before you know it you are jumped upon by a dozen security guards.
  34. Re: Scilon posts a threat to anonymous on ARS - read and report!

<Capt. Jack Sparrow>So it does say Fayetteville. That's interesting. That's very interesting.</Capt. Jack Sparrow>
    jack_sparrow_03.jpg
  35. Peter Schilte Member

He used to post through Motzarella, but not anymore. Many sent an abuse report to Motzarella, so I think he was kicked out, about 2 weeks ago.
  36. Anorumi Member

Well, I guess compared to you two Usenet old farts, we are, aren't we?

:mrgreen:
  37. Unlisted Member

38. Re: Scilon posts a threat to anonymous on ARS - read and report!

Yes, he was LARTed* off of Motzarella shortly after he made that firebombing post. Before and after that, he was reported to Aioe, which apparently caused his previous IP address to be banned. He's still posting from Aioe, though, but watch him start posting again from Google Groups when his current IP address gets banned.

*LART-Loser Attitude Readjustment Tool AKA a Clue by Four.
  39. Re: Scilon posts a threat to anonymous on ARS - read and report!

You (There is no You*, there is only Anonymous) are only n00bs to USENET. Anonymous as a whole knows the Internet very well and the web extremely well, better than a lot of USENET old farts. Speaking of old farts, I've talked to a few of them and we share the opinion that the Anonymous posting to ARS are quickly getting up to speed with USENET (except for posting via Google Groups--that's still the mark of a webbie, as I pointed out here[/url:33j371vn]), much faster than the old farts are getting used to channel lingo and culture. I fully expect that the Anonymous who stick around USENET will eventually become fully integrated into the social fabric there, changing USENET culture in the process. I look forward to it; USENET needs new blood.

Do, however, expect continued generational conflict with some of the old guard on USENET outside of ARS in the process. N00b-bashing is an old pastime and doesn't just happen in online games.

*A play on "There is no
    Cabal[/url:33j371vn]," a long-running USENET gag.