Customize

Scilon posts a threat to anonymous on ARS - read and report!

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by Oinkertron9000, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Whitehat Member

Re: Scilon posts a threat to anonymous on A.R.S

This was posted on 711 also.
  2. Re: Scilon posts a threat to anonymous on A.R.S

So was goatse.
    Pixel noize either way ya look at it.

"Though I walk through he valley of the shadow of Scilons, I shalt not fear, tough art witless."
  3. Anno Nymous Member

Re: Scilon posts a threat to anonymous on ARS - read and report!

Okay people, Obvious Troll is obvious. Sci wouldn't annouce this, people are prepared now. They are not this stupid.
  4. Re: Scilon posts a threat to anonymous on ARS - read and report!

True story.
  5. bostonguy Member

Yes and yes. On one of those tech forums as you probably saw someone seems to out him. Seems to be a general alt. troll/attention whore. You can find his possible home page from the tech board references, and someone also made a page on him. Sockpuppets into the stratosphere. Flames and trolls then makes "rules" about posts/emails he will respond to, then responds to posts/emails that violate his "rules". If it is the guy I'm thinking of, he got bunched up over the attention that Anonymous was getting so started his "Tom Newton" campaign. Seem to remember reading he supposedly has some type of bad stuff (beyond my sad level of non-techie knowledge) on his page/email, so FWIW be aware of that, but I'm sure you guys know 100 times more than me. Sorry in advance if this is redundant.
  6. Re: Scilon posts a threat to anonymous on ARS - read and report!

7. xenubuster Member

Newton's a know scifag sympathiser. Claims not to be Sci but is blatantly OSA. I'd take his threats seriously, he's a genuine nutcase - he even goes along with Barbara Schwarz's shit.
  8. SeaOrg Slut Member

you folks need to understand even if this is a real threat from somebody in the movement it's totally not going to happen they're extremely non confrontational and it would require more effort and financing than they are capable of. tell people not to bring backpacks to demonstrations and your potential problems are solved
  9. CyberChrist Member

Except our back packs have our flyers, water, granola, longcat missles, etc.

We have nothing to fear.
    10,000 HP, 12 feet tall, and Scilon proof.
  10. SeaOrg Slut Member

it is just a suggestion in case people are truly worried about it. they won't do shit though.
  11. CyberChrist Member

Yeah, I think we might have scared them with our masks. Bad, bad 'nony's.
    I prolly won't even bother with a mask from now on. Please, Mr. scary OSAman. Just try to start shit with me.
    ( Ok, I can be a bit braver as I am in Canada, and we are a nation of down-stat orgs.)

BTW, Welcome to freedom, in case I never said as much ;)
  12. tamphex Member

Going to have to correct you on that. The ARS newsgroup has been at the very forefront of activism & advocacy against the Scientology Organization & continues to be so. They're far removed from being a thing of the past and the older generation (which includes myself) are the foundation of which all this has been built upon. As for the lack of credence to a random posting on ARS, I can assure you for a solid fact that it has been taken very seriously.

If "CSI" has a boner over usenet and ARS, then they've got their shit together.
  13. SeaOrg Slut Member

the biggest threat they pose today to COS is the information anonymous and other activists are using against the movement and not them themselves. but they are far from 'a thing of the past' though they mostly seem like cool people i guess.
  14. its.an0nym0us Member

I'm going to shit my pants if there is video of some clown troll starting some shit and someone yells 'Anon get down!' and 400 people kiss the sidewalk, immediately outing the troll and giving the police a perfect view.
  15. Anorumi Member

I too have reported. I wonder how many times the FBI has received tips from Anons by now. :?:
  16. Bumblefuck Member

Now...this is just an estimate, but by my calculations they have been reported just over 9000 times.
  17. Tuesday Member

Sounds right.
  18. Anorumi Member

:mrgreen:
  19. anon_david Member

God yes. :guyfawkes:
  20. Anon1412 Member

You Sir won 500 Internets.

I've reported too. Just for the epic.
  21. Dunvegan Member

This ^ is why Anonymous werks.
  22. sortanonymous Member

Reported. OHS seems to be very interested in this development.
  23. subgenius Member

Any consensus on inviting the police to infiltrate the demos?
    Seems like a win to me.
  24. sortanonymous Member

I'd be glad to coordinate with my local police to ensure the safety of all my fellow Anons at the protest.

EDIT TO ADD:

25. ZOOMzoom Member

America, FUCK YEAH! 8)
  26. Unlisted Member

I like the Security Threat Analyst #09 guy
    8)
  27. Re: Scilon posts a threat to anonymous on ARS - read and report!

People sending news packets to the media... would it be counter productive to mention this to some of the news outlets that are on the fence about providing live coverage?

If we respond appropriately to something like this (ie. dropping to the ground and cooperating with the police) the only bad PR will be for the COS operative throwing things. I think it would be very difficult to misrepresent 100's of people sitting on the ground, at the first sign of violence, to be any form of violent mob.

Of course, maybe this had already been considered and discarded as being likely to be misinterpretted by the media as blatant manipulation on our part.

I miss my name. Incognito is not my style
  28. Peter Schilte Member

I reported "Tom" also. I pasted his bomb threat complete with headers in the notification.
  29. AnonyFag Member

Thread's a bit tl;dr at this point, so I'm just gonna jump in here and say the best thing to do is just stay the course. 2/10 went off beautifully, amirite? Do it the same way for 3/15. Yes, be on your toes a tad more, but just continue to watch out for each other. That's what made 2/10 the REAL immediate success. I don't think true Anonymous can lose that undercurrent of community and caring it shares, and anyone who isn't with that vibe is gonna stick out like a hard dick at a whorehouse.

However, it doesn't hurt to entertain options and scenarios. Best case, is this shitfucker is trying to induce paranoia and fear to stop Anonymous from attending. It's possible he's been pressed into "working the boards" by OSA as a "volunteer" and (of course) been given a "stat goal", probably to reduce attendance at 3/15 by X%

Worse case, is this applehead is serious about some or all of this shit. What you can do, most people have already done. Report to the authorities and let them handle it as they think best. Yes, CoS will go to great lengths to frame up critics, and something like THIS, it can be done for 2 reasons; one is to have a "win" over a critic or a number of critics. This delivers stats and produces what the Scilons think of as a "Product". The other prime reason is on top of garnering sympathy, if a mission or Org was to be damaged, it gives the CoS a prime opportunity to pump their public for yet more cash... not to mention fire up the RPF's to provide an assload of labor while CoS posckets the cash from those "donations"

So yes, be aware of the possibility, watch each others backs and be alert for anything out of the ordinary. Oh yeah.. I don't think a large scale pat down of Anonymous is a grand idea. It'll overwork the cops, they can always miss something and may actually result in resentment towards Anonymous for making them do all the extra work. Instead, I'd suggest politely reminding/asking any law enforcement for "increased vigilance" at the event due to the perceived threat (show printed ARS post if you have it). Have a few Anons assigned to this particular task and have them keep their eyes on the crowd during and after.

However, this dicksmack can't be for-fucking-real. I mean, I don't personally think so... That line of bullshit about finding most of our vehicles and having thieves plant shit?? How the hell would they know who arrived in what vehicles? How could they tell the diff between an Anon's vehicle and any regular Joe Blow's? It's not like you drove near the area with your mask on, amirite?

Errr... I am right.... right? ;)
  30. ihcn Member

People are taking this way too seriously. Fuck yes he should be reported and we definitely should plan for stuff like this in general, but the odds of this actually being serious are orders of magnitude lower than what some of you guys are talking about.
  31. Re: Scilon posts a threat to anonymous on ARS - read and report!

I think I said that 15 pages ago. lol.

/waiting for archive day
  32. Hieronymous Member

Hardly the point. Scions always talk the talk before they switch to guns. Point is they had a guy arrested for saying Tom Cruise missile. I would hate to insult the CoS and treat their words as empty threats in turn
  33. Skambrent Member

Hrm... I totally called this situation! :mrgreen:

Granted, I used guns as an example, but the concept still stands!
  34. 6of9 Member

tl:dr thread.. sorry.. But I've been reading ars for awhile now and Tom is not a Scientologist. There was a thread on there (ars) about him awhile back. Seems he's just a regular troll that was ran off from the linux part of usenet. He is well known there and has used several aliases.

See this thread:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt....8?lnk=gst&q=Tom Newton Linux#284dfe0a6b916278
  35. Cambridge Member

This
  36. SomeOldGuy Member

Interesting.

To me, that's not a warning. It's notification that I might not only have the option to use non-lethal force to put some sociopathic framer-cum-arsonist on his ass, but that I might be morally obligated to.

Where's the downside?
  37. SomeOldGuy Member

Awww. -_-

Still, never hurts to be prepared. :D
  38. Meganova Member

Wow, great job on reporting this guys.

I called the FBI, DHS and ATF hotlines, and they already knew what I was talking about before I even finished my sentenced.
  39. Hieronymous Member

Damn, what are the chances we will even find out if anybody was arrested :(
  40. anonisfinetoo Member

We (America) actually did this in WW2. It was not uncommon in the Pacific theatre for Japanese soldiers to approach American checkpoints while disguised as Filipino soldiers. Our instructions were to make them say the word "lollapalooza". A response of "rorraparooza" earns a shooting. :pony: