Customize

Scilon assaults Seattle Anonymous Member

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by AnotherSP, Jun 5, 2008.

1. R2-45 Member

Re: Scilon assaults Seattle Anonymous Member

AnonyFag covered it pretty well, but I'll just add that I should have mentioned that I was referring to non-overt recording, not all recording.

You don't even have to be hiding the camera for those laws to apply to you, but if you're not making the camera obvious, and it's recording audio, it does fall under wiretapping laws. Like I said, it's stupid. Really, really goddamn stupid. From what I understand, it was worded a certain way so that you can record a conversation if you give notice ("For quality assurance, this call may be recorded", or the "You are being recorded" beeps which should be fairly familiar), but if you record the audio without notice it was wiretapping. Then, some douchebag used that wording and claimed that somebody who had hidden an audio recorder to tape an incriminating conversation was 'wiretapping', and the (Federal Circuit or SCOTUS, I can't remember) judge agreed, and thus it's precedence.

While, on the one hand, I appreciate the 4th amendment protections this interpretation provides, on the other I think it's overly vague and abusable.
  2. Re: Scilon assaults Seattle Anonymous Member

Is there any way you could track down the actual decisions? I ask because my googling a week back led me to believe that there is no reasonable expectation to privacy in a public place.
  3. R2-45 Member

Hrm... it appears to be a state-by-state thing, and not a federal thing like I previously thought...

The states in which my assessment seems to be valid are California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Washington.

So it's still correct for this case, but it's not true everywhere. I'll see if I can dig up something more definitive...
  4. AnonymousNow Member

this is horrible misconduct on the part of the Seattle Police Dept. for one, we need to man the harpoons to the mayors office. These particular officers seem to be completely derelict and have declared open season on Anonymous.
  5. AnonymousNow Member

THIS IS THE LINK TO EMAIL THE MAYOR OF SEATTLE... MAN THE HARPOONS:

Contact the Mayor

These officers basically declared upon season on assaulting critics of the COS. The actions of these officers for failing to protect the residents of Seattle will inexorably lead to more assaults.

If you are a resident, I suggest using the phone number and calling.
  6. AnonymousNow Member

My letter, don't take any of this as legal advice:

Dear Mr. Mayor:

As the below youtube clips document, apparently, two Seattle PD officers declared upon season on assaulting critics of the the Church of Scientology. The actions of these officers for failing to protect the residents of Seattle will inexorably lead to more copy cat wanton assaults. The actions of the officers appear to be more than keystone in nature.

Here are the clips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZfs...ilon-assaults-seattle-anonymous-member-17123/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9C1...ilon-assaults-seattle-anonymous-member-17123/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwhT...ilon-assaults-seattle-anonymous-member-17123/

That I live in New York and know about this on the day it occurred, should tell you that this issue is going to become well publicized.

I hope you are willing to take the bull by the horns Mr. Mayor, because it is rather unique for someone to be hit in the face during a peaceful protest and seek the aid of the police, only to be threatened by the police upon arrival.

Clearly, your Police Department is misinformed about the events at hand, and does not seem to understand the well known "fair game" policies perpetuated by the current leader of the Church of Scientology.

[censored about my qualifications] I should also note, Mr. Mayor, of the potential availability of a potential Federal Section 1983 action brought in District Court against the Seattle PD, and the City of Seattle for knowingly exposing peaceful Scientology protesters to bodily harm for merely expressing their freedom of speech. I believe you will find a clear 5th Amendment implication, and that the law will support a duty to protect in these instances. Of course, this will only apply if multiple instances of this sort of incident occur. In that event, I believe your law department will find that all elements of the cause of action will be complete. We are keeping count.
  7. Re: Scilon assaults Seattle Anonymous Member

Hmm, you should proofread better next time. *u*pon season on assaulting critics? in your opening sentence no less. That's going to hurt.
  8. AnotherSP Member

Today at the protest there was a Sheriff's truck (w/Sheriff) and a cop car with two cops, and they all hung out in a group chatting and laughing with the scilons and hired PI's in the scilon parking lot the whole time. The image made me cringe after how the cops mistreated us last week. I'd hate to think that we can't trust our police force here anymore, but I'm beginning to wonder at their evident camaraderie with CoS forces.
  9. AnotherSP Member

New Seattle fair game news: Seattle seems to be getting a little dicey, though I think having our ACLU guy around is helping protect us. We had an ex-sea org member show up, and her car was vandalized while she was at the protest, with holes having been burned into her car seats. What they do is so childish, I have to think that they're just running on desperation and guk bomb fumes.
  10. IsThisOn? Member

Here you go...9th Cir. Court Decision against city of Seattle, police arresting citizen for videotaping..they lost by the way(Seattle)

55 F.3d 436

Then, if you read on the 9th Cir. Appeals court upholds that decision by the lower court..

If you want, so more people can read the ruling, I will post it as it's thread, just for information. (especially if you live in the 9th Cir.)
  11. IsThisOn? Member

And here's another...

9th Circuit Opinion

12. AnotherSP Member

Thanks so much for the legal facts!
  13. Hypatea Member

Why did cops from two different precincts show up in north (aurora north? couldn't tell from vid) seattle in two different squad cars? Or is the information on the two officers outdated?
  14. IsThisOn? Member

quite simply that the two precincts border each other. One officers beat is close to the others andhe/she was closer than any other officer.
    Happened all the time when I was a cop.
  15. indeedindeed Member

I hope she's not intimidated and has contacted the police.
  16. TsuDhoNimh Member

Any pictures of this camaraderie?
  17. AnonyK23 Member

There's a bit on video, though the camanons don't have everything up yet. Not sure about the photos.
  18. TsuDhoNimh Member

I occasionally had to go into ERs and psych wards as part of my job, and when I watched the videos taken of the attacker ... he would have had me calling for the 6'8" orderly named Big Bubba before I went near him.

1 - The gosh, golly shucking and jiving act ... his body language isn't as relaxed as his speech. He's fidgeting when he shouldn't be.

2 - The fixed grin ... real smiles come and go.

3 - As someone else noted, his eyes aren't smiling. He was sizing you up, not getting to know you.
  19. AnotherSP Member

On this video at 2:20 we have some of it. Identifymous, who made the video, has more. Our ACLU guy said there's nothing wrong with the cops doing it though, it justs pisses me off a little is all.

YouTube - Sea Org vs. Sea Aaargh! Seattle Operation
  20. Voxpugna Member

In California, some convenience stores (7-11 and such) will record audio in the store. They "notify" the patrons by posting a discreet sign on the window that most people ignore.

I think that Anon might "post" a similar notice on the front and back of a T-shirt or sandwich board sign - thereby nullifying wiretapping laws.

Disclaimer - I'm not a lawyer, YMMV, check your local listings.... yadayada
  21. Sativa Member

NO JUSTICE, NO PEACE.

If the police cannot/will not provide justice/protection, then does that mean it is up to us to seek justice? I will defend myself from physical attacks, I will seek justice from scientologists who break the law. I will not allow attacks on my person to go unchecked.
  22. Zak McKracken Member

Keep in mind that Seattle is not Texas.
    Using your legally permissible tac-nuke to defend yourself against
    Scilon assault may be acceptable in your community,
    but please be careful of advising other anons
    in jurisdictions where concealed-carry fission devices are prohibited.

TL;DR

Use the available socially sanctioned network of justice/protection in your area.
    If it's LEO/City Council/Village Elders/Dog+Curtains/whatever.

Know the prevailing legal/social conditions where you live,
    step outside these boundaries at your (and your neighbors') peril.
    If you don't know the law, or what the weather is like today, find out before you go protestorizing.

Edit:
    there's also "comfort zone" which is usually more restrictive.
    "Wearing a dead british terrorist mask while publicly demonstrating against a weird cult"
    is outside most people's comfort zones already. But it's still within the bounds of
    "stuff that people can do without destroying the fabric of society" in most reasonable parts of the world.

Standards of personal defense/security vary quite widely.
  23. Re: Scilon assaults Seattle Anonymous Member

I fucking love Texas!
  24. IsThisOn? Member

lurk moar in this thread, the applicable court decisions have been posted earlier.
  25. hotdog57 Member

in order for that to happen it was well calculated well in advance fair game, this is way I protest, the scn have been doing ever thing in there power to hurt other,s scare off the ptotestes, and you know what it,s works. they cut are no down big time, were in the middle of a battle in seattle and are number,s are down hopfully more well show , the brave don,t run and I well be there in aug,s.
  26. me57 Member

Love texas too. God Bless
  27. Darkanon5 Member

28. snowwhite165 Member

one of the freaks got out of the compound. I should be there at the next protest.
  29. Supercreep Member

More valuable, if less personally satisfying, is video of scilons going apeshit - especially if they can be named.
  30. nightfire Member

THREAD NECROMANCY!!!!!
  31. Anonyneko Member

You can use tac nukes in texas? Awesome!