Customize

Scientology's Biggest Secret - Electricity and Endorphins

Discussion in 'Education, Research and Inside Reports' started by lermanet_com, Feb 8, 2008.

1. lermanet_com Member

Scientology's Biggest Secret - Electricity and Endorphins

When I was in, because of my background in electronics, I was called to help run their E-meter production facility, called at that time 1971, "Delta Meter"..

A reader of Lermanet sent me the following link, last night, to a 2003 citation regarding the generation of endorphins by electricity..

Endorphins bind to the same receptors in the brain as morphine...

Electrical Stimulation, Endorphins, and the Practice of Clinical Psychology
    Authors: Ulett G.A.1; Wedding D.2
    Source: Journal of Clinical Psychology in Medical Settings, Volume 10, Number 2, June 2003 , pp. 129-131(3)
    Publisher: Springer

"Endorphins, natural neuropeptides active in basal brain structures, act upon anxiolytic mu receptors. Solid evidence from fMRI and neurochemical studies show that a simple office procedure involving electrical stimulation can stimulate the expression of endorphins in the brain."

I added the abstract to Lermanet's E-meter pages:

LINK: http://www.lermanet.com/endorphin-emeter.htm#endorphin[/url:1elbnj73]

Also see "runners high"

This electrically induced release of your body's own endorphins helps convince the victim that scientology works!

-----------------------------------------
  2. bananonymous Member

My gut reaction is that it can't work like a stimulant. Consider the history of mankind and our uncanny ability to alter our brain chemistry via different chemical compounds. If low amplitude currents would somehow alter the chemistry, we would've used electricity as a recreation drug way before the introduction of the E-meter.
  3. MollyBloom Member

I have never been audited so I don't know first hand nor have I ever seen a schematic of the machine so I don't know how high the current is but...

I assumed that it worked more or less like a strange bio-feedback machine.

Since you want good results you temper your behavior (mind thought, which is a electrochemical action/response) and go into an almost trance like state.

I assumed there was a certain level of stress entering the auditing session for many, spending tons of money then having to worry about passing the audit and becoming clear, when that stress is relieved through the trance-like state and after hours of auditing the natural state of the mind goes to a sort of euphoric or peaceful state.

I remember when meditation was big yogi fad around the world and many claimed it changed them but this type of trance was not forced from the outside so it was easy to stray from the mental exercises for many. Auditing has a special 'stick-to-itness' in that it's enforced as part of the religion in the early stages.

I have imagined what it would be like if you had to go into church and be 'forced' to pray for hours on end, be hooked up to a machine to see how 'holy' your thoughts were and not released from prayer till you met the proper criteria of church thought. I for one, if I were a practitioner, would sure as heck apprehensive to start and somewhat euphorically relieved after being pronounced 'holy enough'.

I have not seen specs about the current that is produced by the machine though and it would be interesting to know more about the specifics of it's design. I would love to get my hands on one, I am one of those people as kids that kept taking things apart around the house just to see how they work. That machine seem relatively simple though and I have a sneaky feeling that some of the buttons and knobs on there let the operator influence the float of the needle more than the person being audited.

Are there any schematics out there to find?
  4. I agree with Molly. My opinion is that the eletric currents are not themselves causing the brain to create endorphins. Endorphines can be caused by many things. Obviously the average person is aware that drugs can greatly affect endorphine production. However endorphines can be produced many ways, for example, eating comfort foods, finishing a stressful project, even exercise. Attitude also greatly affects endorphine production and the healing process.
    http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/...ems-and-mind-body-wellness-mind-body-wellness

To make it short, I think the endorphines seen in those test studies are not directly caused by the application of the machine, but from the subject's belief that the physical and spiritual healing promised by scientology has taken place. I can't really prove it but it's definitely a possibility.

It is a fact, though, that you can get addicted to the endorphines you release after using e-meters the same way you can get addicted to drugs, food, or anything that stimulates endorphines.
  5. lermanet_com Member

Well, I'll need to web more of the whole paper.

If you read the e-meter pages I have compared a TENS machine, a Neurostim 2000 with an E-meter.. and the E-meter provides you more than ten times the jolt of a neurostim 2000.. which is designed to provide pain relief..and all the measurements are there.

More here http://www.Lermanet.com/e-metershort.htm
    (its not short, its actually very long..)

and http://www.lermanet.com/huldaclark.htm
    I do a technical specs comparison with the Zapper..

What is most interesting in the latest citation, is the indication that stimulation of the peripheral nervous system results in changes in the cortex..

This is the PROOF,, that convinces scientologists that Scientology WORKS! setting the scientology scam apart from all other cults..

Whereas, Electricity has been WORKING since 154 AD..when scribonius largus places a mans legs on an electric eel.. providing pain relief...
  6. Dubber Member

Arnie, along these lines do you know whether the meter is operated any differently when running reverse processes? I know the questions are different, but that's all.
  7. its.an0nym0us Member

8. Electric shock is still a form of pain managment. Generally, a very small amount of pain which can be described as pinching is experienced with the use of these devices though, at least the ones I've seen. Do people usually describe a small amount of pain using the e-meters?
  9. lermanet_com Member

the end result of auditing often includes a mild euphoria...
  10. lermanet_com Member

having not been subjected to reverse processing, I could not tell you.

but my understanding of it is to run things in a matter that produces the most anxiety and upset possible in hopes of driving the person mad, who would believe a crazy homeless man running down the street? They try to mess with your income and life.. to move you toward that result..

They conduct their depositions in an abusive manner trying to break witnesses, not run a normal deposition...to determine what is true or false.

A psychiatrist, Joost Meerloo, who was detained by the nazis and escaped, wrote the two best books I've ever read, about what it is like to face off with scientology's litigation machinery... and he was writing about his experiences!

His books were out of print, when they were brought to my attention by a Prison doctor's website, that had 6 chapters, I was sufficiently blown away by what I learned that we scanned, ocr'd and webbed the rest of his book, and another one...in its entirety.

Rape of the Mind and another Delusion and Mass Delusion.

It was no accident that we placed them in this directory:

http://www.Lermanet.com/scientology/

Had I known what this man said, ten years ago, my friend Robert Minton, would likely have survived his ordeal, far better than merely barely escaping with his life..

also
    See OPERATIONS PLANNING from the FBI raids..
    http://www.lermanet.com/idacamburn/ops.htm
  11. lermanet_com Member

note the dates..

It was Hubbard's fear of losing this case and having the e-meter banned, which caused hubbard to invoke Religiosity in 1969
    http://www.Lermanet.com/LRonHubbard2.htm

Dragging a cross through the front door was Hubbard's handling for the threat that case posed..

Nota Bene: The opinions of the FDA "The e-meter does nothing" in that case were based upon the science of THAT time. 1960's...
  12. I find this very interesting, Arnie.

The current won't creep on your skin. This is a fallacy deviated from the fact that electrons moves on the outside of a wire. That doesn't apply to a body at all. The current will always travel the path of least resistance. I read your page on the e-meter that some cream was applied to your hands. Do you have any knowledge as to what it is made of?

I also agree about the more of your hands are in contact with the cans, the more current will find it's way through. Especially with that cream as a propellant. The hands are for establishing contact, while the cream is to lesser the resistance.

However, at those low levels of voltage and current, I can't see how any current can go up to the brain. How nerves can play a part in indirectly releasing hormones/chemicals when under electrical current, is for someone else to decide since I don't know.

Have there been any schematics leaked of this? Might be interesting.
  13. lmafo Member

Re: Scientology's Biggest Secret - Electricity and Endorphins

Yes, but do you feel a current in your hands while holding the e-meter ?
    Because if you don't feel a current, then there is no stimulation of the nerves and no effect whatsoever.
  14. its.an0nym0us Member

Just because you don't 'feel' something doesn't mean it's not being stimulated.
  15. musketeerwang Member

Does anyone have access to the full paper? We need to be able to compare levels of electricity, how it's applied, for how long, and whether the trial was able to determine exactly (or at least, likely) what was triggering the endorphin release.
  16. Annie Omnes Member

Re:

I remember that,in second or third grade, my best friend and I dared one another to lick our fingers and stick them in an electric socket, the high-voltage one behind the stage door at the gymnasio-cafetorium. I happen to have ADHD, inattentive-type, in huge shovelsful. Current scientific thinking is that ADHD is caused by severe underproduction of dopamine, which is the stuff that makes you wake up and take notice, and also the stuff that creates a sense of well-being and security. Well, we ended up doing once-twice-thrice-SHOOT! for it and I went first. OH. MY. GOD. I am not in any way endorsing it, because God invented Ritalin for a reason (lol), but it is an AMAZING high. I found myself literally three feet in the air, and figuratively in heaven. My hair was staticky and stuff, but I could concentrate all that week with not much trouble. I was forever after convinced that electricity was just sublime -- lights our homes, keeps us warm in the winter and cool in the summer, AND temporaril makes us feel normal.

This is the Devil's work, electrifying people and telling them it's your "tech" doing oogity-boogity MAGICK!!! on their THETANS!!!
  17. musketeerwang Member

Find an e-meter that administers 120 volts and you might be on to something. I still want to see this article.
  18. Re:

Or earlier if you believe in the Bagdhad Battery.
  19. musketeerwang Member

I went ahead and got a copy of the article in question. Basically what they're talking about in the article is "ACUTENS", a location-specific version of TENS or Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/conditions/tens1.shtml

The BBC link and others say that this is non-addictive and has no known side-effects:
    http://www.spineuniverse.com/displayart ... e1694.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcutan ... Stimulator

Further, it seems that TENS isn't actually proven to elevate endorphin levels:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entre ... id=6089237

BUT for all I know the current transferred by the E-Meter is greater and therefore enough to have an effect. What we need is evidence that the E-Meter is capable of increasing endorphin levels on its own, regardless of psychological factors.
  20. lermanet_com Member

Ive measured a TENS machine a NeuroStim 2000, and the Emeter beats it by an order of magnitude..
  21. musketeerwang Member

Right, so the chain of logic here goes like this;

1. TENS machines are claimed by some to work by triggering endorphin release.
    2. E-Meters transfer more charge (in more time) than a TENS machine.
    3. Therefore E-Meters must trigger more endorphin release than TENS machines.
    4. Therefore they are physiologically addictive.

Unfortunately this chain breaks down right at the beginning, since there's no proof that the TENS machines DO work that way, and no evidence that they are addictive as a result. So whilst its possible that the E-Meter might work that way and might be addictive, there is no evidence of that at present.
  22. lermanet_com Member

correction:
    2. E-Meters transfer more charge (in more time) than a TENS machine.
    More charge in LESS TIME... don't change the facts to bolster your rebuttal

There are many citations that indicate this is very likely true. don't change the facts to bolster your rebuttal
    read the links I have provided previously:

154AD http://www.lermanet.com/sources.htm
    1947 http://www.lermanet.com/emeter/hypnotis ... /index.htm
    1997/8 http://www.lermanet.com/e-metershort.htm
    1999 http://www.lermanet.com/huldaclark.htm
    2004 http://www.lermanet.com/endorphin-emeter.htm

"Endorphins, natural neuropeptides active in basal brain structures, act upon anxiolytic mu receptors. Solid evidence from fMRI and neurochemical studies show that a simple office procedure involving electrical stimulation can stimulate the expression of endorphins in the brain."

Electrical Stimulation, Endorphins, and the Practice of Clinical Psychology
    Authors: Ulett G.A.1; Wedding D.2
    Source: Journal of Clinical Psychology in Medical Settings, Volume 10, Number 2, June 2003 , pp. 129-131(3)
    Publisher: Springer

------------------------
    recognize that you are dealing with coercive mental manipulation when you find yourself dealing with fallacious argument, lies, repetition, innuendo, suggestion, and projection
  23. musketeerwang Member

I was referring to the 2.5 hour period of auditing as opposed to the 15mins typical of a TENS session. Yes, the e-meter is active continuously and for longer, transferring more charge in total. But it does this over a longer period - wouldn't this lessen any physiological effect?

I've read all of your links Arnie, I'm just trying to get my head around what actual evidence there is for this. It's *crucial* that we can provide evidence for our claims against the Co$ - otherwise we run the risk of being discredited.

I have the full article that you seem to think is proof of your hypothesis - I'm not seeing how. It's simply highlighting a body of work that says TENS, electro-acupuncture, and ACUTENS are useful for pain relief. The writers emphasise the endorphin mechanism as an explanation.

But in fact the prevailing theory of how it works seems to be the "gate" theory;
    http://www.labourtens.com.au/pain_theory.html

That's the first problem - we don't know that endorphins are doing the work. We also don't know that the level of endorphins is actually triggered by the machine rather than the ritual. That's the second problem.

And even if these machines (rather than the brain itself) are triggering endorphins, it doesn't follow that such an endorphin release is addictive. That's your third.

Then there's the question of voltage. The current might be comparable or, as you say, higher with the e-meter, but the TENS machines have 40 or more volts behind them (boosted from 9) - the e-meter only 5v. It's this, plus the low-frequency pulses, that get through the skin and do their job (with endorphins or otherwise).

What I'm saying is that your speculation is reasonable. You might have something. But in order to be able to claim this (legally or even just to the public), hard evidence is needed, not extrapolation from other devices and scenarios. This means a suitably controlled scientific trial of the e-meter itself, in a representative auditing session.

What about a donation scheme to raise funds (assuming a suitable institution could be interested in the project)?
  24. lermanet_com Member

Id love to pursue it, creating a financial incentive, a grant for such a study would be feasible, but, like so many good ideas, takes money, a lot of it 5 figures at a minimum..

re voltage of TENS being 8 volts or more... you have forgotten something, look up 'duty cycle'.. those pulses are extremely brief...so that the actual cumulative 'dose' is 1/10th what the e-meter provides... the math is on the pages I linked...

My own Doctor, a MD and GP believes this has merit as does Dr Noah Lottick, to whom I described the first version of this theory in 1997, before I had the latest citations, whose son jumped from a 7th story window in New York, clutching his last 171 dollars in his hands.
  25. musketeerwang Member

Arnie, please don't hit me with an appeal to emotion. I feel for the guy, but if anything, people who have lost loved ones are the last ones able to objectively look at something like this.

The duration of the pulses is very short, you're right. But the boosted voltage gets the current through the skin, even if it's just for a moment. The e-meter lacks the voltage to do this, and so a greater cumulative dose isn't going to matter.

ETA:
    Further, the very guy whose research your latest cite is all about, JS Han, apparently states that sensation is required for pain relief - you have feel a dull ache ("de qi") under the skin before pain relief can be achieved (see p272 of Foundations for Integrative Musculoskeletal Medicine on googlebooks).

People might claim to feel the e-meter's current, but do they also feel an "ache"? If not, whatever effect (endorphin or "gate") that causes pain relief is surely not occurring.
  26. Re: Scientology's Biggest Secret - Electricity and Endorphins

Interesting thread.
    So are the E-meters "addictive"?
  27. musketeerwang Member

And there's the rub. Why even operate from the assumption that the machine is addictive?

What evidence, beyond the anecdotal, is there for that?
  28. lermanet_com Member

there is at minimum 80 uamp going into the body..FACT
    it goes into skin, that is where it makes contact FACT
    the first conductive membrane it encounters are nerves channels
    in the skin.. FACT

Yes skin is pretty good insulator, but then if you put enough high resistances in parallel it doesn't matter, resistance in paralell = large surface area of the cans, same deal, so it becomes a non issue, unless you don't understand electronics, then everything is an issue.
  29. lermanet_com Member

30. hothermubbard Member

Arnie,

I love you but the evidence tells me that $cient0l0gy is hypnotism, not electro-endorphins. The E-Meter is a MacGuffin, it even says so in plain type on the underside.

All of your contributions are stellar awesome, except this one.

David Miscavige is Anonymous' best asset.
  31. musketeerwang Member

You're right about one thing, Arnie - I know next to nothing about electronics. Fortunately the onus is not upon me or anyone else to disprove your hypothesis, but upon you to provide evidence for it. I think you're assuming a lot, even if we take the skin penetration as a given.

Nonetheless, I do wish to learn and be open to the evidence.

So, are you saying that the (5v) voltage in the e-meter is in fact boosted, as in the TENS machines, in order to achieve local penetration of the skin?
  32. lermanet_com Member

"Science is the record of dead religions."
    - Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)
  33. lermanet_com Member

no

it doesnt matter how much voltage you apply.. the voltage applied just determines the current, the current is constant 80 microamps..
    "local penetration of skin"?? what is non local penetration? I don't know what your point is. All i can do is restate what I stated before, skin is a relatively high resistance, that is why there are large surface area cans used.. so lots of high resistance skin is all in parallel,,,so it no longer is high resistance. If you use small contacts you would need high voltage to give the same current as low voltage would create admiistered over a large surface area...the fact of the large electrode size used by scientology is a huge factor.

Ill try and explain it a different way, this is from a reply to a MD who was asking about Nordenstrom

Nordenstrom was tough reading.. but 2/3rd the way though I had what I now call "The Nordenstrom Revelation"

that the separate systems in our bodies are all dielectricly insulated from each other. (typical breakdown voltage of different structures might be 20 uVolts of a cell wall to a half a volt or more for certain sheaths that separate body parts, the exact figures are different, get the concept, the details are not what is important)

What people don't understand is that the current path through a human body is dependent on the applied voltage... high voltages will take different paths... as insulating dielectrics between body structures fail...

The lowest current may be the MOST psychically damaging as opposed to physically damaging, - traveling along the nerve conduction pathways to the brainstem, or wherever, whereas a higher current, exceeding the current carrying capability of the nerve lines, which are embedded in the skin, and exceeds the dielectric breakdown voltage of the insulation, might jump out of that path... taking a more direct route as additional membrane insulation fails...read this twice, this is a really important concept. i got such a headache wading through his book..

This is the Nordenstrom Revelation...

regards
    Arnie Lerma
  34. its.an0nym0us Member

Arnie, I am continually amazed by your understanding and knowledge of this subject.

This whole movement is based not only on resistance to tyranny, but also the freedom and ease with which we can assimilate information. The knowledge you possess is so complex that it does not translate well when reproduced elsewhere, IMHO. I hope that if you ever have the time and opportunity you are able to put a PR polish and shine on some of your work here and other places, not only to facilitate a better understanding by the general public, but to encourage a wider distribution within the movement. It would be nice if you would not have to waste so much time re-visiting ideas!

in any event, thank you for all your hard work!