Customize

Scientology should not get rate break - Birmingham Councillor (Update)

Discussion in 'Scientology Property Tax' started by Sponge, Jan 12, 2011.

1. ScudMuffin Member

Still wouldn't surprise me if they tried. "We were lied to and as such defrauded out of X amount of rates." See lower down. Thing is that the BBC strat to everything is similar to the cos in that they try and make you cave. We had an incident with them years back where they stopped us from leafleting and it took ITN and Liberty to get them to check with Lawyers and DEFRA. Defra told them to stop being idiots.

In a reply to a question I posted. I don't actually remember the CoS or any promo saying they had bought it. There's usually something in the Birmingham Mail too like the whole 'We're gonna buy the place' that comes up on a yearly basis, I can't remember seeing a 'We've bought the place'. We'd known they basically owned it for ages, hence why I brought up the holding company thinking the 2K9 stuff was possibly wrong, it was still effectively owned by the late Mr. Gainman sometime around then iirc. I'll go deeper into that thread, though it makes my brain hurt cus it all gets convoluted. Still, if COSRECI outright owns it themselves then they can't turn round and reg by saying 'we need cash to buy this place.'

[edit] and after a read back through the news on the sale wasn't added till a year after sale. Shame it wasn't popped in it's own thread, we may have remembered it then. but then stick does a lot of important intel work so thanks stick[/edit]

Afaik it was to do with one Jon D. Pick up that copy of The Complex and read through the chapter Surfing for the Truth. You can skip forward a bit and go straight to page 255, the strat and execution is all in there. Exploitation of playing the religion card in essence, enabled by worming your way into the councils good books and chatting to Claire Short.

"My dear judge, the scilons buttered us up to get relief rates that deprived us of money for running services"
  2. Anonymous Member

Hugh Muir's diary in today's Guardian:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2011/apr/21/hugh-muir-diary-scientology

• Like Like x 4
  3. Natter Bored Member

bump
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Sponge Member

Scientology's official response:
    birminghamffffuuu.jpg

ALL THESE 52 LOCAL ADULT SCILONS WILL HAVE TO FIND AN EXTRA £4,800 EACH TO COMPENSATE FOR THAT £250,000 LOSS IN BUSINESS RATES SAVINGS.
    ALL THAT JUST TO KEEP THE BAILIFFS FROM THE DOOR WHEN YOU SHOULD BE CLEARING THE FUCKING PLANET!
    (sorry kids in the front row, but it looks like another shitty christmas for you again)
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Anonymous Member

Great - Birmingham being reported for revoking the exemption and further questions being asked about why the other councils aren't doing the same. Ha ha fucking ha scientology. Fuck you.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. xenubarb Member

Once in a while I stumble into the Daily Mail. There are a lot of articles on government waste, most recently an Ethiopian family is being put up in a huge house at a great deal of public expense. Are they the Fox News of the UK? Anyway, this was in an area of London, which subsidizes the Scientology buildings there. Seems to me that if the Daily Mail gets its knickers in a knot over the expense of keeping large immigrant families, they should be able to add 1 + 1 to deduce that 2 = Scientology is a parasite on the ass of society and should not be receiving charitable exemption.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Anonymous Member

Dislike of The Daily Mail aside -
    In the past there were a couple of very good journalists there who wrote scathing, accurate reports about the cult - they were very clear on their anti-scientology stance.
    Recently there's some very thick young reporters writing absolute misinformed shit that almost sounds like a cult promo.
  8. Anonymous Member

Poons already sent to Daily Mail. They love stories like this - they're running the Squirrel Busters lulzy video already! :D
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Barb, never watch fox news, so can't verify that. But if the Daily Mail were a US politician, I'd plump for Dubbya. Stoopid and populist, appealing to baser instincts, lower-middle class version of the Sun, if that helps. (They were notoriously pro-Hitler before the war). They do seem to have published lots of anti-scilon stuff, though.

Best of all the right-wing papers is The Telegraph (aka the Torygraph). Probably still the best newspaper in the UK, aimed at the intelligentsia. Lots of unbiased reporting, too. Well worth a stumble.
  10. Anonymous Member

Daily Mail hated the cult - now I'm not sure. I read they've launched Mail on Line in USA (not sure how it works) so may have changed editorially on the scientology cult to please/not offend an American readership.
  11. RightOn Member

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

this is wonderful
    Spread it like wild fire
    Someone please make a vid
    and hopefully others will question why they are exempt and follow suit.
    The revoking of their tax exemption snowball is officially rolling. Well at least in the UK
  12. JohnnyRUClear Member

If your hopes are pinned on politicians admitting they were dumb....
  13. Anon1720 Member

Very nice. May this spread like wild fire and cross the pond as well.
  14. Anonymous Member

This is a major break through in the UK the cult is now beginning to be seen as nothing but a cult. Well done Roland for all your obsessive hard work on this.
    • Like Like x 4
  15. Anonymous Member

Shall we send the staff at Birmingham Scientology a postcard?
  16. ScudMuffin Member

I like your thinking sir!
  17. RolandRB Member

My pleasure. I hope it is for real and I hope it spreads to the City of London Corporation and they lose the £300,000 per year rates rebate that the British public are paying for in the midst of dire economic circumstances.
  18. It has been an education in following your efforts for graet justice, Roland. With the UK's notorious bureaucracy, who needs tinfoil?

But it is no exaggeration to say that you managed (together with William Thackeray) to get the ear of the Govt (Mr Pickles) and should allow yourself a sense of pride in your achievements. If it comes off, every UK ratepayer will owe you a debt of gratitude (if not your cut of the money we all saved by not financing a criminal organisation).
    • Like Like x 3
  19. RightOn Member

yup
  20. RolandRB Member

I take my bow for my part and I hope you can see it from the lofty heights of the Van Allen belt (overlooking Norway).

http://www.xenu.net/archive/multimedia.html#vanallen
    • Like Like x 1
  21. thewayup Member

This is a great development. Great work, Roland (and any others).
    Roland, will you be continuing your work with other councils? or now that this council has stopped the relief, is it enough to step back and allow the Birmingham council people (and other govt.) to bring about the same elsewhere? i.e. snowball effect.

Anyway, I'll continue to watch these threads.

Edit: Would it be worth getting dox of the proceedings and ruling on that?
  22. veravendetter Member

Has anyone heard from charlie lately? Last I heard he'd been poorly. :(
  23. Anonymous Member

so has this happened? did they lose tax exemption? can we party?
  24. Anonymous Member

Yes. WT put in a FoIA request to check, in case they'd appealed against the decision made in April - see related thread:
    http://forums.whyweprotest.net/threads/birmingham-city-council-foia.89155/

The Council responded today and confirmed that the Church of Scientology in Birmingham is no longer receiving rate relief.
    In addition, they released the rate relief application and supporting documents, which includes financial statements for the Ethel St Org "for the year ended 31 December 2009".

Link to request, response and PDF downloads: http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/scientology_tax_relief_update_pl

Some of the attachments are duplicates unfortunately, and all you probably want are the following two PDFs:

Rejection letter and application (1Mb): http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...ejection%20letter%20attachments%202%20FOI.pdf

Other documents (9Mb - financial statements start on page 65): http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...%20rejection%20letter%20attachments%20FOI.pdf
    • Like Like x 4
  25. AnonLover Member

successqx2.jpg
    • Like Like x 4
  26. RightOn Member

FOLLLOW SUIT US!
  27. LocalSP Member

Happy pants time.
    • Like Like x 2
  28. RolandRB Member

Hopefully, the other cult-loving councils such as City of Sunderland, City of London Corp and City of Westminster will start to get the message.
  29. Anonymous Member

This is just the beginning. Great job anons.
  30. thewayup Member

Roland, are you writing letters to these people at this time?
    (I like the work you and Anons are doing)
  31. RolandRB Member

No, but I am guessing this has already got to other local councillors in other boroughs. I could be wrong, though.
  32. RolandRB Member

Does anyone know what rates they will now be paying on 8 Ethel Street?
  33. Anonymous Member

The bill should be £22,299.50, based on a rateable value of £51,500 and a multiplier of 0.433.

PItmaston's classed as an empty commercial property currently (it was last month anyway - source) and, because it's a listed building, as I understand it they won't be charged rates on it until it's occupied. But the Pitmaston bill would be £46,331, based on a rateable value of £107,000 and this year's multiplier.

If both buildings were occupied their total annual rates bill would be £68630.50, compared to just £13726.10 if they were still receiving 80% rate relief. If these figures are correct, this change could potentially cost them an extra £54,904.40 per annum.
    • Like Like x 2
  34. RightOn Member

I hope that they share their findings and decisions with other countries
    and if they don't I am sure people here will help them do that
    If other areas do not follow suit, people can now ask them why
  35. RolandRB Member

That's a bit more than it would cost a chump to be "professionally" audited to Clear.
    • Like Like x 1
  36. RolandRB Member

It is not so easy to use this judgement for other places because the decision not to grant rates relief was based on their making and retaining a big profit in 2008.

See page 65:

http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...%20rejection%20letter%20attachments%20FOI.pdf
  37. RightOn Member

ahhh I see
    well than leave it to the COS critics to ask why COS is still getting tax exempetion in their area while they are exempt it in Birmingham UK
    yeah I know the situations differ, but to ask will bring public awareness and curiosity
  38. RolandRB Member

One might even raise the question as to how a "charity" could have an income of 1,241,442 GBP in a year.
    • Like Like x 2
  39. RightOn Member

better still

maybe list a "how come?"" guide for people to poon to other areas while asking about COS's tax exemption?
    should be kept short and sweet with a few links tho. It it's too long then you lose the recipient and it turns out tl/dr
  40. xenubarb Member

This is a good idea!