Customize

Scientology settles with Debbie Cook

Discussion in 'Media' started by pooks, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Anonymous Member

2. Anonymous Member

I believe the cap is $10k. Chump change for CO$.
  3. DeathHamster Member

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/ne...s-into-teachings-of-L-Ron-Hubbard-3517061.php
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Anonymous Member

Depositions are video taped.
  5. DeathHamster Member

http://www.theway.co.uk/news-8806-senior-scientologist-beaten-and-tortured
    How's that "victory" coming Davie?
    • Like Like x 2
  6. DeathHamster Member

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlin...church-official-settle-lawsuits-out-of-court/
    • Like Like x 1
  7. DeathHamster Member

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/national_world&id=8636809
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Anonymous Member

Not all depostions are video taped.

Years ago, most weren't.

Scientology insisted that only an audio recording be made - and even that, they reluctantly agreed to - or it would be more stalling tactics that could go on for years.

Traditionally, a nice court lady sits in the room and types the record. Watch Perry Mason.
  9. Anonymous Member

Yes. Nowadays lawyers from both sides hire space/rooms in an office block (not in a court) to take depositions. The witness is questioned by both sides and they are filmed, audio is recorded and a stenographer also records everything. This is prior to any actual court hearing with a judge.
  10. Tourniquet Member

11. Tourniquet Member

12. Anonymous Member

Do your own research, i dont want to have to read his fucking ass blog again :(, but i do recall he saying he had received cloe to 50K and that was just to the penny what he gave the attorney.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. muldrake Member

While I'm not going to assume Marty a) actually said that, although I think I remember it, or b) was telling the truth, it could be the $50K was for a retainer for the attorney. That sounds like a nice round number just to get started with anything involving Scientology, with more expected in the future.

A retainer is just that, advance fees. The attorney is only entitled to those fees actually earned and must return the rest. Considering the case settled fairly quickly, $10K sounds like a reasonable amount to go through. If so, though, where's the other $40K?

Again, I emphasize I'm offering an explanation of the hypothetical presented, not saying I've dug up the facts myself. Before anyone calls ripoff, we should make sure of the facts. I'm just hoping someone else here more closely reads that horrible blog.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. JohnnyRUClear Member

on Hollywood Boulevard
    • Like Like x 2
  15. moarxenu Member

Like this?

jrabbi.jpg
    • Like Like x 3
  16. Anonymous Member

well, the problem is that he then posted a “breakdown” of finances and it shows he only gave $10,600.00 to the attorney. Hence, he lied for sure (not that I am surprised about Marty lying)

From Marty's blog:

17. Tourniquet Member

Uh, LOL?
    • Like Like x 1
  18. opantomime Member

You haven't filed a lawsuit lately, then. A recent local eviction case cost almost $5,000 for what amounted to two short court appearances, a filing, two client meetings, and two demand letters. At $300 and up per hour... it doesn't take long to spend thousands on a lawyer.

I would think $50K would be low for the amount of time I imagine Cook's lawyer worked.
  19. muldrake Member

Which is about exactly what happened here. One preliminary hearing on a motion to dismiss, and probably some work on an opposition to a motion for summary judgment. No opposition was ever filed, just a request to delay the adjudication of the MSJ until discovery had been taken.

In a secondary legal market like San Antonio, $10-20K is entirely reasonable for what actually happened in this case. Just the discovery part would have run six figures, but it didn't get anywhere near there. $10K may be on the low end, but her attorney seemed personally angered about the cult's actions and I'd bet cut her a better deal than she'd usually get.
  20. DeathHamster Member

Maybe, but I bet that there was significantly more prep time involved than a fill-in-the-blanks eviction case. (A lawyer doesn't have to know everything about Scientology, but what he probably needed to know is quite a lot.)
    • Like Like x 2
  21. Anonymous Member

why, oh why then, Marty posted that he gave Debbie's attorney only $10,600.00???? Is he lying again?
  22. Anonymous Member

There were ppl who donated to Debbie directly, and not via Marty. Seems like Marty may have referenced different numbers from different sources of donos at different points in time.
  23. Tourniquet Member

Just assume that everything Marty says is an untruth. Easier this way.
    • Like Like x 2
  24. Anonymous Member

Dox?
  25. DeathHamster Member

26. Anonymous Member

Nope, he said that before he posted the “from now on send the donations to Debbie directly” bit.
  27. Anonymous Member

scroll up, slacker.
  28. Anonymous Member

QFT, agreed
  29. Herro Member

• Informative Informative x 1
  30. Don Carlo Member

Sponge has been away from both www.xenu.net and this board since around April 26. Can anyone here contact him and see that he's okay? Thanks, DC
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  31. I miss his/her informative and pertinent posts.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  32. Anonymous Member

Thank you DC
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  33. There is a post by Tangerine on DBZ that Sponge has had some very time consuming family stuff to deal with lately.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  34. RightOn Member

yes but 10K times many people suing them would not be chump change.
    Small claims court can put a sizable dent in COS's budget if enough exs came forward to do it.
    And all cases would have to be recorded which would be another win of having multiple court cases showing people suing COS on record.
  35. Don Carlo Member

Thanks, I just wanted to know if he was okay.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  36. "Nothing to be alarmed about, just taking care of family and stuff."
    • Like Like x 1
  37. exOT8Michael Member

I guess it is not surprising that Sponge is absorbed by something.... ;-)
    • Funny Funny x 1
  38. grebe Member

Yay Sponge! Glad he's not been hit by a bus or anything.