Customize

Scientology Refuge Center - St. Louis, MO

Discussion in 'Think Tank' started by MissElle, May 4, 2013.

1. MissElle Member

Thanks everyone for your time.
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Anonymous Member

Hi MissElle,

What a good-hearted idea! I have a few questions:

1) How will leaving Scientologists know you exist? How will you get this information to them from within the Church of Scientology?
    2) When Scns leave, they are quite paranoid. Why will they trust you?
    3) Have you set this up with the local police yet - meaning, if they hear reports of scns held against their will or wanting to leave, will they refer them to you?
    4) Do you have any history or education dealing with ex-cult members?

Thanks.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. MissElle Member

Thanks!

Right now I am in my planning stage. As with any great idea, I plan to slowly assemble a team and begin brainstorming. I know what I want the end result to be so it is now a matter of plotting the best course of action to get there.

My Jewish roots and community are supportive and I will have access to psychologists, lawyers and law enforcement (pro bono) whenever we will need them to protect the rights of the people leaving and in need as well as for any "deprogramming" and coping needs. Making the decision to leave the CoS is hard - if only because they are likely leaving their family and friends. I plan to involve local DCFS for people to be able to bring their children and have immediate custody hearings so those parents still inside can not take back the babies and children escaping with their family.

I already know the CoS will attempt to block all communications between the SP's (us) and those still in the CoS. This is why a support team of law enforcement, lawyers, caseworkers and therapists will be on call. I will be making plans to speak at my Temple to gain further support in these areas.

First and foremost, I will need bodies and material. I will need many brainstorming sessions and someone or many someone's who can help get word to the members that help is available. We are only just now building this idea into a reality. Any and all advice, suggestions, ideas and help is appreciated. I am one person, in one city. My hope is to get open, get people to leave and give them help and see other facilities pop up nationwide.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Anonymous Member

Kudos and apprehension. FWIW, I considered how best to do this a few years ago. My thoughts were that opening such a place in a "college town" in the rural mid-west (houses are cheap, there would be no transportation issues and maybe an agreement with said school could take care of both therapy and a discounted education.) I don't know the best approach, but any academic support you could look into may be worthwhile.
    The cult is sue happy. If you haven't looked into how they shut CAN down, do. They also love schemes and it would come of no surprise if someone "wanting to freely leave" was actually someone with OSA looking to sue and shut you down. All of that said, I'd suggest a lawyer and appropriate insurance before proceeding.
    Protect yourself.
    • Like Like x 4
  5. Anonymous Member

Have you been a member of wwp or esmb? Curious as to how you have come here.
  6. MissElle Member

Thank you! I know how they are about suing but I hadn't thought to get a lawyer BEFORE opening (which is awhile away). I am hoping to open a center that hides under the guise of "homeless shelter" or "battered women's shelter" so that it is not as obvious.

I am in St. Louis so getting funding for a building won't be as hard as other locations but my concern is getting members from CA or FL to our facility. We have a fairly large and ever growing CoS here though.

Regardless of what happens and when, its going to take a lot of time, energy and working as tirelessly as possible to make this a reality.
  7. MissElle Member

No. I am a member of human rights and freedom. I stand (almost) alone as I go about my endeavors. As a woman, I have dealt with discrimination and I have been a victim of slander, and blatant lies for the past 12 years - although it is a personal matter regarding family courts and my ex in laws attempting as much defamation as possible to my name and reputation. I was in an abusive relationship and broke free after too many years of being controlled and in fear of how I would survive if I left.

Ultimately, I am a person with eyes, ears, a brain and a caring heart. I campaign actively for mental health awareness, gay rights, freedom of thought and religion and keeping America safe and free. I volunteer my time, I advocate victims of abuse and rape and I support righting wrongs. Nothing more.
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Budd Member

CAN = Cult Awareness Network
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult_Awareness_Network
    "The Cult Awareness Network (CAN) was an organization that provided information on groups that it considered to be cults, as well as support and referrals to exit counselors and deprogrammers.[1][2] It was founded in the wake of the November 18, 1978 deaths of members of the group Peoples Temple and assassination of Congressman Leo J. Ryan in Jonestown, Guyana, and was shut down in 1996, though its name and assets were bought and used by the Scientology organization in a hostile takeover,[3] who used the name as the title of the unrelated organization, New Cult Awareness Network."
    "Scientology is quite likely the most ruthless, the most classically terroristic, the most litigious and the most lucrative cult the country has ever seen. No cult extracts more money from its members."[12]
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Anonymous Member

That's interesting. So you were never a member here or esmb, but now want to open a center.
    Makes sense.
    Not really. Also, the personal stuff is...well kinda trollish. Just sayin'
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  10. Anonymous Member

Hope not BUT UMM, brother- pass me a burger.
  11. Anonymous Member

You are in fine company here. Any groups specifically that you support?
  12. MissElle Member

Im
    I'm sorry? Trollish? Just because I am new here and am just now starting to join conversations and create ideas and help? I have zero problem putting myself on a limb. It is not like I have sat on my rear and done nothing all my life.

I may not know the proper protocol for how to reply to you about this but I can say I understand your apprehension. Interesting the Operation Clambake is run by someone who simply cared and it has been successful in creating awareness for several years.

I have an idea that may or may not ever come to fruition. I hope it does and can be successful. But I am not troll.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. MissElle Member

I am a supporter of the Missouri/Southern IL office of the ADL. I am often in attendance at their local meetings and support and advocate for their office here. Having less to do with cults or politics, I am a member of the Autism Society and the Alzheimer's Awareness network [both because they hit close to home]. I volunteer at the two main animal shelters in my area which are the APA and our humane society. I have also [in the past] volunteered for rescue dogs - as in the puppies often lived with me and my family before being placed. I am an advocate for Marriage Equality and belong to the group American's United. I have just recently discovered the Cult Awareness Network and am slowly joining in topics and attempting to get as knowledgeable as I can before I just dive in.
  14. Anonymous Member

Do you post at clambake?
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  15. Anonymous Member

16. Anonymous Member

Lurk more as you appear uninformed.
    My best to you.
  17. MissElle Member

I have not as of yet. But I am also not ashamed of that. At this stage I am reading, learning, absorbing. I understand that a person can not read and expect to know everything there is to know, but I refer to read first and ask later. It is through my reading at Clambake that I realized there is no "center" so to speak, for CoS victims, survivors or those with zero help in leaving. I do not deny being very new to this. My goal is not, in any way, to come across as a know-it-all. But I do have eyes and ears.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Anonymous Member

So let me get this straight. You come here wanting to open a safe haven, you have never posted at esmb, ocmb or here and you are just learning about ex scilons- but you want to open a center.
    They have no safe haven or way to get out?
    They have several.
    Your reading at clambake? And you want to open a center?
    You don't deny (your weird words) being new to this and you want to open a center?
    Sorry, as of now- code 36.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  19. MissElle Member

What exactly is it you want me to describe? Their mission statement? Their goals and overviews? Any idiot with a web browser can copy and paste. I have already stated that I am still learning about these things. I am still "new", so to speak. For example, I understand that there is a "new" cult awareness network - my brief readings on this show a site that appears to actually be in LINE with cults, not opposing them. The REAL CAN was eventually bankrupted. That doesn't mean one can not study what their missions were and hope to ignite a fire about how to help. As I have said, I am still learning. But my goal is still the same as those here: To put an end to David Miscaviage and the Church of Scientology.
  20. Anonymous Member

21. MissElle Member

Is it now wrong to see something happening that violates human rights [no matter what the Supreme Court may have said] and want to help? Can a person not earn as they go? Do you think a center for anything opens over night? I am not disillusioned.
    • Like Like x 1
  22. Anonymous Member

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  23. MissElle Member

I understand the precaution, the hesitation that I see here. I have no idea how to prove I am who I say I am. I listed a link to my blog in my first post. That blog has a link to all of my social media as well as my email address. I can not imagine putting that kind of information out there if I was trolling or not who I say I am.
  24. Anonymous Member

This and maybe come back when you are better informed. Pipe dreams sound like pancakes.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  25. Gottabrain Member

Hi Miss Elle,

I believe you are sincere.

A permanent location is not a good idea, for reasons mentioned above and probably another 50 or so. You might instead consider the types of networks set up to shelter abused women as your model.

If you aim specifically to help exiting scn members but not other exiting cult members, you will have more problems and less people to help.

The Jewish network is tremendous. When I left scn staff, they helped me a great deal, despite the fact I am not Jewish. I will always be grateful for that. It's a beautiful community and those individuals were instrumental in helping me with my resume, getting work, temporary shelter, life advice, and even a very small start-up loan (quickly repaid).

That is what real churches and synagogues do.

When you discuss this with your rabbi, I'd be very interested in hearing his response.

Sheila
    • Like Like x 4
  26. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 3
  27. Incredulicide Member

• Like Like x 2
  28. Anonymous Member

Hi MissElle,

Your offer sounds too good to be true. How much time and effort and money are you planning to devote?

How exactly will this big expensive project will be funded?
    You don't seem to know much about the Scientology corporation or its victims (yet).
    Are you prepared for the company's "fair game"?

If you are sincere in wanting to help, the first thing to do is to contact the experts who have been fighting the cult and helping victims for years, sometimes decades, and offer them your resources. I'm sure they could put your funds and talents to effective use.

Post at ESMB and OCMB.

Finally you'd better stop with the "deprogramming". Deprogramming is illegal, and putting the word in quotes is just confusing since it's unclear what exactly you mean by it. Right off the bat you have already given OSA ammunition against you. It's also funny that you think you can remain undetected by disguising your project as a generic shelter. You do know that you just announced this plan on an open forum that is carefully read by OSA?

You have much to learn and I do hope you are sincere. We will know soon enough...
    • Like Like x 1
  29. Anonymous Member

Why reinvent the wheel?
    There is already an established tollfree hotline/ website for scientologists wanting to exit, run by an ex : Chuck Beatty (contact page). That's one person you should talk to if you're serious about setting up an underground railroad.
    1-866-XSEAORG
    EXSEAORG.COM (which forwards to https://sites.google.com/site/xseaorg/)
    • Like Like x 4
  30. Anonymous Member

The first thing CoS would do with a stationary target like that is send in a fake ex-member to spy on you.
    • Like Like x 3
  31. Hi Elle,
    Here is one of the best resources which has a lot of good information.
    http://www.cultclinic.org/about.html

(also, thanks to Sheila for expressing your gratitude to folks who happened to be Jewish that helped you on your unique journey. There are so many anti-semitic, ignorant regulars in this forum, so to see that you had a kind word to say was refreshing. I wish you well. Hugs, peace of mind and safety.)
  32. bott Member

Agreed, please contact Chuck, he can help. He's a good guy.
    • Like Like x 2
  33. MissElle Member

Thank you all for your advice and suggestions.
    • Like Like x 2