Customize

Scientology 'minister' Fowler to stand trial for 1st Degree Murder, No Bail

Discussion in 'Media' started by PodPeople, Apr 9, 2010.

1. PodPeople Member

Re: Scientology 'minister' Fowler to stand trial for 1st Degree Murder, No Bail

Haven't found news/update. Fowler arraignment was 2 hours ago. Anyone hear if he plead guilty or not?
  2. AnonLover Member

3. PodPeople Member

4. potrezebie Member

Ooops.
  5. xenubarb Member

"I'm not angry any more. Now I'm just homicidal."
  6. ZeLyt Member

Lol, Defense attorney for fowler is named Lauren Cutuly. You know what you can spell with her last name? Though I don't know if shes a scilon or not, just thought it was funny.
  7. Anonymous Member

Still no photo's of him post diy-lobotomy?
  8. Anonymous Member

She's a public attorney. No Scientology link as far as I can see. I think the cult are very much distancing themselves from Rex and his case.
  9. Anonymous Member

What the? Not guilty? Seriously? Well this should be interesting. Given the mountain of evidence the fact that he has a public defender, and the fact that Colorado has the death penalty I expected this one to end with a plea bargain.
  10. Ann O'Nymous Member

11. kissyfur Member

[IMG]
  12. Random guy Member

This means a proper trial with evidence out forward and all, right?
  13. xenubarb Member

"Not guilty."

Snort!
  14. Vir Member

Failpost
  15. xenubarb Member

Rex Fowler's theme song
  16. Anonymous Member

17. thetanic Member

Buried in another thread is the information that Colorado does not permit a guilty plea for murder one. The death penalty isn't up to the prosecutor, apparently, so even if they're not asking for the death penalty, it can be given during sentencing.
  18. PodPeople Member

19. Vir Member

Thanks, thetanic, I forgot about that. Does anyone remember the law reference for that? We should put it in the wiki if it's not already there.
  20. pooks Member

It's a well written article by someone who obviously reads WWP:

:
  21. another123 Member

Who better to tell Fowler he's insane than another one from the asylum?

22. failboat Member

I find this quite amusing:

Hilarious. Sorry, evidence in a murder investigation doesn't go to the accused party's Church or wife. Even if, as Ms. Fowler contends, the police "would not understand anything in it." Let's leave that to the authorities, shall we?
  23. Smurf Member

Fowler's attorney from the Public Defender's Office at 4710 E. Bromley Lane Brighton, 80601.. Lauren Jennifer Cutuly hails from Pennsylania and graduated from the University of Buffalo (N.Y.) Law School in 2005.

She became a members of the Colorado Bar in 2006. She seems to be a pretty smart cookie judging from the many awards she won as a law school student, including being elected to the Order of Barristers in 2007, a national honors society for oralists <insert pun here>.

UB Law Links

Obviously, Fowler qualified for indigent status which earned him a free court-appointed attorney.
  24. Anonymous Member

I want to see the contents of The Briefcase entered into evidence.

It might be some dox we've not seen before...
  25. Anonymous Member

Ahhhhh. Thanks.
  26. Smurf Member

Fowler's trial will stem from whether the jury finds him guilty of premeditation or not. In Colorado, "second degree murder" is defined as a killing without premeditation, as in the heat of passion or in a sudden quarrel or fight.

The prosecutors will argue it was a premeditated murder/suicide plot, but I can see the defense arguing that Cianco's murder resulted after a heated argument... whether the jury buys it or not is a different matter.

I'm sure the judge will keep most inferences to Scientology out of the trial so to deprive the defense from later arguing, on appeal, that their client's case was severely compromised by prejudicial comments related to the "controversial" cult. Judges don't like to see cases they've presided on, to be overruled on appeal.
  27. JohnnyRUClear Member

Teh judge = lulz nazi
  28. PodPeople Member

Denver CBS
    Man Accused Of Killing Co-Worker Pleads Not Guilty - cbs4denver.com

"At a previous hearing, one detective testified that witnesses stated both Ciancio and another employee suspected that Fowler had embezzled money, up to $250,000 from the company for his church. Fowler was a practicing Scientologist."
  29. andonanon Member

I think the notes he wrote prove pre-meditation.
  30. anonymous44 Member

I guess you gotta practice something to be good at it.
  31. tikk Member

I was discussing this on IRC earlier and found case law that I read too quickly and was mistakenly drawn to the same conclusion as above. Upon closer review, only two states prohibit a defendant from entering a guilty plea in a capital murder case, New York and Arkansas. Louisiana had a similar statute but repealed it in 1995. That said, a judge in any state would be very wary of accepting a guilty plea without ensuring that the person fully understood the consequences of such a plea because (a) such a plea is effectively judicially assisted suicide; and (b) the appeals process in death penalty cases is so much more elaborate in terms of checks and balances. So guilty pleas in murder one cases are rare, but not prohibited in Colorado.
  32. bAnon Member

Just put the wife on the stand. Case closed, lock, stock, and barrel.
  33. Holl Anon Member

You're not on the jury, sweetpea. Depends on whether the jury makes a decision based on the cold, hard facts or they can be swayed by the defense to vote for a lesser charge.
  34. Holl Anon Member

The court can't compel Janet to testify. Spousal privilege prevails.
  35. DeathHamster Member

Bah! All those mentions him being a Scientology "minister" and none that it's a one week course.
  36. incog712 Member

Oh yes, that article, evidently televised on Denver local news is epic. When this story first broke, the local news outets had little reason to see this as anything more than a garden variety workplace dispute gone bad. WWP's chronicling of the underlying scientology connections and why they are relevant to this case has given those news outlets a lot more to work with and obviously they've taken notice.

It wasn't just an entanglement with Rex Fowler that resulted in Tom Ciancio's murder. Scientology "tech" is all over this case and with Fowler electing to take this to trial, that tech is going to receive more public scrutiny than the Denver org could ever have expected to handle in it's worst nightmare.

Tom Ciancio deserves nothing less.

Excellent work WWP!
    Excellent work KMGH!

Awesome. Just awesome.
  37. Anonymous Member

1273446608570.jpg

^^^^^My face when you thought WWP had anything to do with how the media covered this story.
  38. Ann O'Nymous Member

You are right, but, IMHO, it does not really matter. Or even makes it look worse.
  39. Anonymous Member

Did you actually READ the article? I lost count of the number of times critics websites were explicitly referenced.
  40. incog712 Member

I lieked you better with your mask on.