Customize

Scientology 'minister' Fowler to stand trial for 1st Degree Murder, No Bail

Discussion in 'Media' started by PodPeople, Apr 9, 2010.

1. PodPeople Member

Scientology 'minister' Fowler to stand trial for 1st Degree Murder, No Bail

starting new thread, mods please merge (prelim hearing)

No bail for accused murderer Rex Fowler - The Denver Post

"Prosecutors said they found notes written by Fowler to his wife, and also a living will they say indicated he was going to commit suicide after taking Ciancio's life.

"Fowler took care of his own business before he took care of his own suicide," Young said.

Fowler's attorney said at worst, her client should face second-degree murder charges.

"This was a professional dispute and it was not based on first-degree murder," defense attorney Sarah Quinn said."

In CBS4 TV news video, Fowler was said to be alert.
    http://cbs4denver.com/local/rex.fowler.ciancio.2.1622943.html

Adams County judge orders William Fowler to be tried for first-degree murder in ex-business partner's death - The Denver Post

[mod]Added followup Article Above - Azazel[/mod]
  2. Anonymous Member

Re: Fowler charged 1st Degree Murder, No Bail

Instantly denote premeditation and IS First degree murder!

Ballsy of his attorney to think that a judge and the public in general would think that just because it was a "professional dispute" that planning a person's murder isn't premeditated!

Either that or she's trying to show her incompetence in hopes of getting a mistrial!
  3. PodPeople Member

his "attorney" is Public Defender. Unless Rex wants to ask for a sci refund, seems no $ left for private attorney. And yes, Quinn's statement was a wtf?

Would love to see today's court dox. No bail because flight risk? Sci connections? Mental stability?
  4. JohnnyRUClear Member

Those numbers should rise. Do it, faggots.
  5. Goosh Goosh Member

haha, dumbfuck attorney. guess we know what's in the briefcase now.

has the cult tried to throw fowler under the bus yet?
  6. MeganonOT8 Member

and the snowball keeps rollin'
  7. Anonymous Member

Wait. So, if the notes where his wife told him to kill himself were what was in the briefcase, doesn't that mean that she is guilty of conspiracy to commit murder?
  8. CowBell Member

9. Anonymous Member

Up-tone OT Rex Fowler allegedly supports Scientology by embezzling a quarter million dollars and committing murder. Delicious. Moar testimony on his motive for murder please!!!!!eleven!

10. Anonymous Member

Why do you think the wife wrote notes? I am only aware of notes from Scientologist Rex TO his wife.

From The Denver Post article linked and quoted above:
  11. PodPeople Member

No bail for accused murderer Rex Fowler - Article Comments - View topic - General Discussion - Article Talk - Denver + Colorado News : Denver Colorado Neighbors

"Re: Article Discussion: No bail for accused murderer Rex Fowler
    by Sallyj on Today, 4:44 pm

If this is the Public Defender’s best defense, I wonder if Rex Fowler is wondering if he can get his hundreds of thousands of $$ back from Scientology, which I believe this case is all about. All his decades of time involved, his inherited wealth, plus more $ it appears he (allegedly) ripped off via his company, wasn’t enough to help Rex with his “anger” issues. Rex had stated that’s what got him into Scientology and helped him resolve. Refund check, please?

And thousands of ex Scientologists as well as the general public are wondering: What more will it take for the U.S. Attorney General’s office to investigate and act on the never ending reports of (alleged) crimes and abuses within this organization, or the IRS redact their secret and confounding special tax exemption? I imagine the Ciancio Family is wondering the same, and my condolences for their loss.
  12. Relyt Member

I think the wife could actually be charged with obstruction of justice. Not only did she not report the notes written by her husband to the police, but she also tried to hide evidence from investigators.
  13. PodPeople Member

No evidence she saw contents of briefcase beforehand as of yet.
  14. subgenius Member

With $cientology touting itself so loudly as a religion, I'm disappointed the media, so far, has not often mention that this was an "ordained minister".
    What if a rabbi, or pentecostal minister had murdered someone.
    That would kinda be part of the story, angle, be of some interest.
  15. Anonymous Member

How do you know the wife knew about notes and hid evidence. Can you reference your source or are you just speculating based on things you just make up?
  16. Sponge Member

Weird.
    Was he writing a cheesy screenplay whilst carrying out this murder or what?
  17. Consensus Member

This is exactly the kind of question that would never be asked on the RFW forums. They probably think - thanks to LRH's direction - that this is our weakness. And that's why they don't see that we have the clear advantage.
  18. Anonymous Member

Where do you see that bit about the checkbook? It isn't in the story.
  19. Anonymous Member

Didn't she insist the detectives immediately return the briefcase because it contained confidential religious documents?
  20. peterstorm Member

21. PodPeople Member

Yes, yes they did, and then said STFU, but using legal terms.
  22. grebe Member

Put yourself in Fowler's shoes. To avoid a struggle, you'd want Ciancio reading something so he's not looking at you while you pull out the gun and aim.

IIRC, Ciancio was seated and his reading glasses were out.
  23. Anonymous Member

So isn't that "evidence she saw contents of briefcase beforehand ..."?
    She outright claimed she knew the contents.
  24. grumpus Member

25. Anonymous Member

"He and others ..."
    interesting.
  26. Anonymous Member

That Annie chick is getting married next Saturday. There's no minister listed on her web site anymore. Hope she wasn't anticipating Rex would get out on bail.
  27. PodPeople Member

The CBS4 story was updated later in the day:
    Fowler To Stand Trial For Business Partner Murder - cbs4denver.com

"A second detective who took the stand said witnesses heard a series of three gun shots, then a break, then another shot or two. Co-workers said they never heard yelling, only gunshots.

Deputies also testified that Fowler brought his gun to work and wore a suit, something he only did on special occasions. He also tucked a living will inside his pocket.

Another detective testified that witnesses stated both Ciancio and another employee suspected that Fowler had embezzled money, up to $250,000 from the company for his church. Fowler was a practicing Scientologist.

They said Ciancio was so upset that he decided to resign and was going back to work at Fowler Software Design to pick up his final check on the day he was killed.

Deputies testified they found a note formalizing the severance pay and a checkbook with a bullet hole through it beside Ciancio's body.

According to autopsy reports, Ciancio died after being shot three times in the head."

Well, that explains the extra "shot", 3 to Ciancio, 1 to the checkbook, and then one for himself. Maybe that was his symbolic sci shot.
  28. TomVorm Member

Or, the "coup d' grace" shot, was through the checkbook and into Cianco's head?
  29. xenubarb Member

One of the notes said the briefcase "contained no confidential material" and should be given to his wife, who had more concern for it than his condition. Remember her bawwing at the cops that it was important to her church and nobody would understand it?

I dunno where you get that obstruction from, relyt. Sometimes reading between the lines results in exactly what's between the lines...blank space.
  30. Rockyj Member

I am so grateful the Deputies said that!

Once Rex is found guilty, does anyone know if the victims family could file a civil suit against the cult because of this?
  31. PodPeople Member

See original thread about the others testimony about suspected embezzlement.
    Also, on the CBS4 link, there are now two videos, which I can't get a direct link address to.

Just open this link, play the first video, and the second video will automatically start playing. Much more in the second video about the Scientology connection.

Fowler To Stand Trial For Business Partner Murder - cbs4denver.com
  32. Anonymous Member

No. It isn't. There is no need to inject cancer and aids into this story.

We have a deputy testifying that the dead man and another employee suspected Reverend Rex Fowler of embezzling money and giving it to Scientology. Motive is part of the prima facie case for a murder prosecution so they will have to talk about it more in court.

There is no need to make up things based on your own little wish list. The article states that the living will was placed by Reverend Rex Fowler into his pocket, and hence, not in the bloody briefcase. There is no suggestion that the notes found by detectives were in the briefcase or that the wife actually ever looked into the briefcase.

This case is so much win, stop making up details, let the prosecutor and testifying deputies deliver soft and moist cake.
  33. Sponge Member

It is. CBS4 article in the OP.
  34. Consensus Member

I don't know. If you hired a catholic priest, and he started stealing money from you and,, when you got uncomfortable with that, molested your twelve year old son, and then you found out the money he stole all went to the church, and that he didn't even have the foresight to launder it - he just 'donated' it outright - would you have a case against the church?

'Cause scientology is totally a church. They say so themselves. In court. Under oath. These people are just like priests.
  35. Goosh Goosh Member

but it begs the question of what was in the briefcase that the wife was so hot to get out of the hands of the detectives

was it incriminating? or was it all a bunch of body thetan/xenu faggotry?
  36. Consensus Member

I've heard rumors that murders like this are usually followed by these things called 'trials' where 'judges' and 'juries' are presented 'evidence.' I haven't quite figured out what this process entails, but I think that presentation of 'evidence' might be where we find out the answer to your questions.

I could be wrong, it's all so esoteric.
  37. PodPeople Member

This time around CBS4 TV is well aware of the scientology connection and reporting on it.

Haven't seen any other media picking up this story yet, surprising for it's sheer bizarro elements as well as sci being soooo in the news these days. Surely with the reported evidence, Rex will plea bargain a deal.

I just hope there's relative avenues for the Cianco family to lay down the law at sci's stinkin' feet.
  38. Relyt Member

I can almost guarantee there's no real way to connect COS to this. You could argue "L. Ron Hubbard said" all you want, but it would never fly in court.
  39. PodPeople Member

lurk moar in painfully long previous thread.
  40. Consensus Member

I'd love to see this snowball and take down all of the COS, but I share your view that it likely won't.

The important thing is that we exploit this to do further damage to them in the court of public opinion.

Which'll be hard, because there really aren't that many people that don't already loathe scientology.

Mostly, I think, this'll be about giving the press yet another opportunity to demonstrate that they are not afraid of the cult.