Customize

Scientology Church hires reporters to investigate newspaper

Discussion in 'Media' started by Triumph, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Belladonna Member

2. Anonymous Member

Re: Scientology Church hires reporters to investigate newspaper

penism.jpg
  3. Lorelei Member

Link shared. WTG, NPR!

And the wins keep piling up. :) :)
  4. theLastAnon Member

NPR is a bit of a slowpoke, but I'm glad to see it.

This reporter story has long legs and should keep popping up down the line. It is the eternal footbullet as it will likely get mentioned in the future when a news organization does a report/investigation into Scientology. They will have to mention this as part of their own report.

Steve Weinberg is attempting to cover his own ass and it's clear he needed the money and didn't properly prepare and/or anticipate the huge fallout. He sees his only hope at clouding the issue of who paid him or how he was paid or whatever his latest story is. It's a false hope.

His career is now kaput. Any hope of future employment disintegrated as soon as he deposited that check regardless of the mechanics upon which he received it. He must have been desperate for the money and I almost feel sorry for him.
  5. grebe Member

The Fair Game story: Reporters punished by a wealthy corporation for simply telling an honest story. That is a human interest fucking goldmine.

SP Times, Boston Globe, Time Mag, Paulette Cooper. End with a challenge to the profession: brothers and sisters in arms, how can we protect each other?

brb, drunk on righteous fury
  6. Belladonna Member

It's so weird. I've been feeling sorry for him for a week now, even though what he did was indefensible and against even his own earlier advice. I feel like I've been watching a car crash in slow motion.
  7. PodPeople Member

There'll be a time in the not too distant future when all those that supported the abuse and those that accepted payment from the abusers will be hiding under a rock. I joke sometimes, but sci has become a horrific physical and mental nightmare of abuse and there's just no way he did not know this going in.
  8. Anonymous Member

...because a company that denies and covers up the fact that they skimped on safety resulting in the death of some of it's valued customers would never stoop so low as digging through his trash?
    Lol, these same "experts" were hired by another company to prove that tobacco doesn't cause cancer.
  9. grebe Member

I don't know if you're the Anonymous who brought in the Toyota example or not, but just to recap MY understanding of the argument up to this point:

I argued that Scientology broke a basic rule of civil discourse: one should attack the arguments on the table, not the person making the arguments.

Anonymous argued that corporations frequently do exactly what Scientology did in its investigation of the SP Times. Thus if there is a rule, it's largely ignored in practice.

Whether or not Toyota would stoop so low as to dig through trash is beside the point.

The point is, do we all agree that dead agent tech is morally reprehensible?
  10. Relyt Member

Keep in mind, Steve Weinberg has also been urging the COS to release the written report in full, thanks to Tommy boasting about its supposed negativity.
  11. anonhuff Member

All I've seen is one quote from him in one article, maybe it was just a comment response to an article by him.

Unless there's more than that, I wouldn't call it urging. I'd call it "stated his request once and never brought it up again".
  12. tikk Member

He's stated as much in a few places, the first time being the joint statement issued by him and the reporters, and again in the comments of TrueSlant and in the comments of the CJR piece.

Of course, their call to have it published rings hollow where they don't just publish it themselves, which right they should've demanded as part of their contract with Scientology. But they each failed to contemplate that Scientology might characterize it as negative while declining to publish the report, which possibility was entirely foreseeable. Which brings to mind Otter's sage words to Flounder: "You fucked up. You trusted us."

One would think that the two reporters plus Weinberg were worldly enough, given their CVs and experience, to recognize with whom they were jumping into bed, but such awareness was apparently not upon them.

They should've also recognized in advance that there was nothing any of the three could possibly come to know about the St. Pete Times that Scientology doesn't already know; and accordingly, they should've recognized that Scientology was only interested in leveraging their names and associated credibility, not only for the report's sake, but for the threat that the St. Pete Times would naturally interpret it as. Yet Weinberg still talks of the report in terms of the 'fine work' performed by 'two top notch reporters,' blah blah yawn.

I guess Weinberg's in a tough spot because to admit he fucked up is professionally embarrassing, and to some extent I feel bad for him. But I'm more concerned about a precedent gelling whereby mercenary journalists sell their credibility to the private sector without paying a price.
  13. Belladonna Member

Precisely so.
  14. Lorelei Member

Funny. I have been imagining that he looks a lot like this guy:

15gdldi.jpg.gif

Take that dirty money and run, Steve, but you can't run from your own conscience forever.
  15. grumpus Member

And you can't run from your trashed reputation, either. I hope it was a fat paycheck, you sell-out.
  16. Ann O'Nymous Member

5 k.
  17. grebe Member

And maybe a little bonus in an offshore savings account. And the accident that the Weinberg family cat Whiskers might have had is no longer a concern.

My point is, we're likely not privy to all the details of this irregular bargain.

Personally I wouldn't sleep with someone as full of fail and AIDS as the CoS unless I was given enough cash for a comfy retirement.
  18. Anonymous Member

19. Anonymous Member

A Thousand Paper Cuts

To: Journalists everywhere
    Re: Operation: A Thousand Paper Cuts

Gentlemen:

The rich bastards at the Super Adventure Club, Inc., have crossed a line. We grew sick of their bullshit a long time ago and now we're just not having it.

I propose we shine a continuous light on the Adventurers for a good long run. Story after story after story. Make it seem like a mission from God.

Let's have some fun.
  20. Belladonna Member

This is a couple of days old already.

Scientology, Journalism and Money in a New Media World
    By Chuck Tanowitz

(looks into the exchange on True/Slant)
    Scientology, Journalism and Money in a New Media World « Fresh Ground
  21. Belladonna Member

Religion Dispatches
    The Rundown Truth: Scientology Changes Strategy in War with Media

By Hugh B. Urban
    The Rundown Truth: Scientology Changes Strategy in War with Media | Media/Culture | ReligionDispatches

In-depth, 2 page report
  22. Ann O'Nymous Member

23. Belladonna Member

Poynter Institute post by Craig Pyes

Journalists as unlicensed private investigators?

Poynter Online - Forums
  24. BusinessBecky Member

Hypocrisy. Give the independent panel of investigators a break. Its only fair that they get paid just for doing their jobs. Anonymous gets its share of pay offs so why can't the journalist earn something, unlike the anonymous group.
  25. Etain Member

Hi, OSA.

Keep telling yourself that. The feds should be showing up any day now.
  26. Anonymous Member

Journalists, originally the bloggers of the 18th century, publishing to the lettercols and fanzines of their day.

I'm sure that the Marcabs will pay journalists exactly that they pay Anonymous.
  27. Triumph Member

Society of Professional Journalists
    Online Quill
    The Scientology-St. Petersburg Times Quagmire Continues
    What happens when the investigated become the investigators? A tangled web of finger pointing and journalism ethics. In short: a big mess.

By Matt Stroud

https://www.spj.org/quill_issue.asp?REF=1659#1659
  28. Belladonna Member

29. PodPeople Member

AC360 weeklong series, referencing the St Pete Times. St Pete Times has an article on the AC360 series. lol

From this article: "Sister Mary Ann Walsh, director of media relations for the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, said the Catholic Bishops, like Scientology, have faced numerous public and controversial struggles. But Walsh says ignoring trouble won't make it go away.

"If you're standing around with a chicken on your head, someone will ask about it," she said.

[IMG]
  30. Zak McKracken Member

I was going to say, "His hope of future employment depends on Tenure. Which he haz."

but:
    ZOMG!

Missouri School of Journalism: Journalism Calendar

Anons in Columbia, MO??:
    Steve Weinberg would like to share chat and delicious cake as he heads off into oblivion.

31. Sponge Member

Scientology-hired disgraced journalist, Christopher Szechenyi, is in the news again....

Navy Vets charity officials scrambled under scrutiny, documents show
    in print 4th Sept 2011. St. Petersburg Times
    http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/article1189418.ece

• Like Like x 3
  32. Anonymous Member

When you have a name like Szechenyi, expecting to escape the Google-fu of Chanology is downright retarded.