Customize

Scientology Church hires reporters to investigate newspaper

Discussion in 'Media' started by Triumph, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Anonymous Member

Re: Scientology Church hires reporters to investigate newspaper

Nicer.
  2. whoever Member

As far as I can tell, major book publishers are afraid to cross them, too.
  3. Zak McKracken Member

fify

[IMG]
  4. Anonymous Member

USA Today is still completely chickenshit. I love that paper, but they really need to quit being such pussies and catch up to the times on this.
  5. Belladonna Member

Two saving graces for USA Today: they have a religion blogger that takes on Scientology (they did a nice piece esp about Haiti), and they have Jonathan Turley (and he's not afraid to reference Epic Nose Guy!)
  6. Belladonna Member

7. Anonymous Member

Louanne has already found it!

8. Anonymous Member

I am glad that Dawn mentioned and even linked to the article, I don't remember anybody else doing that.
  9. Lorelei Member

This saddens me. I don't always agree 100% with Penn & Teller (though I agree more often than not), but I do love their inquiring, take no prisoners, truth-seeking minds, and enjoy Bullshit! quite a bit. I'd heard this as rumour earlier (that Scientology was considered as a topic, but The Powers That Be nixed it, citing the potential litigation and hassle) but never saw any references about it. [strike]Do you have them, or did you hear the same rumour I did?[/strike]

ETA: Nevermind; someone posted the MTV news article.

It is important to note that this is the pre-Scientologist CAN, too...IIRC, CAN was not completely infiltrated by Scientologists until after 1994 or 1995. It still irks me to read Hassan and Wakefield, etc., promoting CAN in their earlier editions of their books : even though AT THE TIME, CAN was a great resource, and even though both take pains to make a note that CAN is no longer a good resource, they have not actually changed the text in the updated editions / printings. Someone using their books for research might miss the tiny little notes tacked on to later editions / printings. Taking over CAN was, sad to say, one of the more successful sleazy things Scientology accomplished back in the day.

As far as journalist accountability, it is an open not-so-secret secret that the Washington Times (Ronald Reagan's fave conservative newspaper) is and was owned by Moonies. It is important not to mistake WaTimes articles with WaPo articles when you are looking for independent, accurate reporting on cult-related issues.

If any reporter is serious about writing an investigative article about responsible, independent, journalism, then "outing" publications that are owned by certain interest groups--that reporters would otherwise be able to report on fairly and without interference--is a must. It is right up there with busting entities like the CofS which use frivolous litigation to scare reporters and news outlets away from covering their bad behavior / policies. Chasing the money trail is also vital, but much more difficult. Who is funding what the reporter writes? It is one thing for a boss to pay an employee without restricting them from reporting on any one subject (whether it gets printed is another issue). It is another to take money from a group like the CofS to (the CofS hopes) harass your colleagues who are doing investigative work focused on--that's right--the CofS. Hmmmm.
  10. Belladonna Member

Gotta say, I don't trust Penn Jillette as much as I used to. I believe he's kinda gone off the rails over the past few years...The Ayn Rand fanboiism and the global warming skepticism has turned me off...

Now that you have my personal opinion you never asked for, here's the requested dox.

11. PodPeople Member

I agree about Penn, wot happened? I keep entertained by Lewis Black. Here's a very short excerpt: "Scientology makes all other religions look like science"

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eQlaVkFpHo"]YouTube- NPR - Lewis Black on Scientology - June 10, 2008[/ame]
  12. subgenius Member

13. Ogsonofgroo Member

14. exOT8Michael Member

15. PodPeople Member

16. Optimisticate Member

And Dawn found Louanne:

17. fitch2000 Member

18. conatus Member

An Unfortunate Analogy : CJR

The Columbia Journalism Review checks in on the story. Excellent, hard-hitting scieno-slamming in the comments from such luminaries as Richard Behar, author of the landmark 1991 Time expose.

Highly exploitable.
  19. Relyt Member

Bumping this.
  20. Anonymous Member

Same tactics, different organization:
    Toyota disputes critic who blames electronics - Yahoo! News
    Yougetyourexpertswe'llgetours tech.
    Lol, not smoking causes cancer?
  21. theLastAnon Member

22. anonsparrow Member

I can tell from that yearbook photo that he is lying (and armed -2theteeth)
  23. grebe Member

Sorry, no. Toyota is responding to the criticisms of the critics. It is NOT attacking the critics personally.
  24. exOT8Michael Member

25. EyeOnSci Member

26. Anonymous Member

Wat.

You mean Toyota doesn't claim that 'selling defective cars' is a protected religious expression? :confused:
  27. Anonymous Member

They may not go as far as the Cult, but make no mistake-Toyota would do some real damage if it helped their bottom line.
  28. Belladonna Member

We saw him once before, in his avatar in the True/Slant comments. And I'm glad you mentioned that, because in going back to find the article, I see Mr Weinberg has returned from his absence and continued the conversation here.
    More from investigative reporter who chose to work with ‘hostile’ Scientologists - Matt Stroud - The Prison Dilemma - True/Slant
  29. tikk Member

Thanks. I just jumped back in there.

Additionally, I think that Weinberg is being somewhat disingenuous as to his role as editor, by taking pains to characterize it as more of a copy editor or proofreader. And this another example of why I took immediate issue with Weinberg--he is going to great lengths to distance himself from this stink, which implicitly puts it on the reporters of whom he alternately speaks so highly. But if Weinberg's role was so diminished, practically to the point where anyone else could've done it, then why do it at all? I've a ready answer for that--Weinberg ignores that he and the reporters were not hired for their skills, but for their names and whatever credibility came with those names.
  30. grebe Member

It's not a question of degree but of logic. Please learn NOT to non sequitur.
  31. q_p Member

This is a quote from Steve Weinberg's post. He is under a confidentiality clause and can't say anything about the incident other than he can acknowledge it happened. That's what he does in the above quote. But if you read between the lines, he calls the SP times a "daily newspaper" and Scientology as a "controversial organization" which is telling.

I'm already aware that the article shines a bad light on Scientology, but I like seeing and reading these little tidbits that confirm it.
  32. Anonymous Member

Oh, I see. Because the SP Times wrote a naughty article about the scilons, Cof$ had the paper "investigated." Perhaps also KESQ in Palm Springs, California? And the New York Times? And the Australian Broadcasting Company? And, and, and, and, and..... guess they need a whole lot of cash-strapped award-winning investigative journalists to cover it all.
  33. Anonymous Member

I appreciate your civil tone, but don't you mean YOUR interpretation of logic? I encourage you to look beyond it. Regardless, I have no interest in a debate regarding the Toyota corporation-I merely found their (and the reporting media's) use of terms both interesting and ironic.
  34. PodPeople Member

Three or four times he evaded question if he was hired/paid by sci. His last response in that link (my bold): "The journalists told the Scientologists what fee I had agreed to. The Scientologists then (I presume) cut three checks — one to me, one to Szechenyi, one to Carollo." He then mentioned he deposited his.

Now, explain to me how Weinberg, right there, wasn't out and out lying. That check he deposited would show who was paying him, directly.

And his explanation of why the two reporters didn't interview the Ex's was the lamest defense ever. To casual observer, it just seems wrong and perhaps scews the credibility of the entire report.
  35. Random guy Member

I guess it has finally dawned on him that he and the two others have been had - thoroughly. He's dying to tell as by now he must have realized the cult will never publish the study, and what ever excellence and balanced reporting that went into it will never see the light of day.

Actually, I'm not able to feel sorry for him. He's an investigating journalist. If he failed to realize the cult would use him and the others, well, then he can't have done a very good job.
  36. Anonymous Member

Totally different tactics actually. If Scientology wanted to publish a study and do a PR drive to contradict a study about itself, that is fine. What Scientology does here is as if Toyota hired investigatiors to speak to his past girlfriends or old friends, digging through his trash etc. Toyota has every right to hire experts of its own, as long as it keeps its investigation on topic.
  37. grebe Member

OK Anonymous, I just finished reading your links, which I assume were meant to back your point that Scientology is no different from other large corporations in going after critics. However everything in those articles backs my point, that Toyota isn't launching personal attacks but is challenging the critic's evidence and arguments, save for one comment noted in the second link:
    Maybe a little dead agent play there. However to Toyota's credit, that's not been the meat of its response to the critics.

I understand why you'd cite the consumeraffairs.com article, with the tidbit above. But why the other two articles? Can you not see the distinction between a rebuttal and an ad hominem?
  38. grebe Member

I can't take credit for the rules of logic anymore than I can take credit for the rules of arithmetic.

Pop quiz:

1. A man criticizes his neighbor who is doing some outside electrical work. He states that the wiring doesn't seem up to code and might cause insurance problems if there's ever a fire.

The neighbor replies:
    1) Shut up faggot. No one takes you seriously because you're on SSI for schizophrenia.
    2) The Romex isn't for power but is serving as a temporary speaker wire for a party tonight.

Which of the above rebuts the man's concerns? Which fails to address the concerns entirely?

2. A headline says, "Politician silences critics." It is reasonable to assume that "silences" refers to

a) R2-45 tech
    b) Dead agent tech
    c) Effective rebuttal of the critics' arguments

3. Answering a) or b) above might indicate

a) Lack of education
    b) Mental retardation
    c) Brain injury
    d) Cult membership
    e) Any of the above
  39. mirror neuron Member

"It still irks me to read Hassan and Wakefield, etc., promoting CAN in their earlier editions of their books : even though AT THE TIME, CAN was a great resource, and even though both take pains to make a note that CAN is no longer a good resource, they have not actually changed the text in the updated editions / printings. Someone using their books for research might miss the tiny little notes tacked on to later editions / printings."

I don't know who published those books, but most of the time corrections are more or less out of the author's hands. If it's not something you can fix before publication (preferably before production), you just have to wait till the publisher is willing to pay for the corrections. If they self-published, that's another story.
  40. Anonymous Member

Cookie-Insight.jpg