Customize

Scientology-based company going to OMB after application for Milton drug and rehab facility denied

Discussion in 'Narconon' started by KittyKatSpanker, Feb 2, 2015.

1. http://www.insidehalton.com/news-st...going-to-omb-after-milton-application-denied/

• Like Like x 12
  2. BigBeard Member

David Love to the white curtesy phone please. I believe these folks need info regarding narCONon that goes beyond the lack of of an arterial road.

BigBeard
    • Like Like x 9
  3. Intelligence Member

Ok, here we go AGAIN!!! I received a PDF file on this and also read and commented on
    the Story. I'll cross-post it from what I just posted over here: (WITH hilites and BOLD)

https://whyweprotest.net/threads/da...conon-scientology.118483/page-25#post-2513071

Scientology-based company going to OMB after application for Milton drug and rehab facility denied

http://www.insidehalton.com/news-st...going-to-omb-after-milton-application-denied/

Milton Canadian Champion
    By Rachael Williams

An application by a Scientology-based company to establish a drug and rehab facility in Milton is headed for a four-day hearing at the end of March to determine if the property owners can set up shop.

A Church of Scientology entity called Social Betterment Properties International has appealed a decision made by the Town’s Committee of Adjustment and Consent to use a property located at 7651 Milburough Line as a drug and rehabilitation facility. Called Narconon, meaning ‘no drugs’, the company treats addictions using nutritional and nutritional supplements, according to company representative Rubina Qureshi.

Since it doesn’t use over-the-counter drugs to treat addiction, it’s not required to obtain a licence from the Province. “And, therefore we were put in a position of having to ask for a minor variance (of zoning bylaw) to clarify that a private drug and alcohol rehabilitation centre conforms with the Town’s definition of a group home,” said Qureshi.

According to the Town’s Planning Director, Barbara Koopmans, the application for a minor variance was denied because it doesn’t conform with the ‘group home type 2’ definition under which the company applied.

“This group home has a number of criteria, deals with a specific amount of residents, licensing issues, supervision and so on. In our opinion as planning staff, the facility does not closely fit with the definition,” she said.

One of the conditions to be classified as a ‘group home type 2’ is for it to be located on a major arterial road. Since Milburough Line is a rural area, it lacks access to services that would be essential for this type of facility, she explained.

“We would direct these types of uses to urban areas with full municipal services, better access to streets and more access to hospitals and ambulances,” said Koopmans. “They (Social Betterment Properties International) didn’t consult with staff before they acquired the property and, therefore, they wouldn’t have known what the permitted uses were for that area,” she said.

Qureshi said that there was no contact with Town staff because it was a “very small centre,” 10 people maximum, and would have “little to no impact on the community.”

The hearing on the controversy is scheduled to take place from March 30 to April 2. Aside from zoning issues, the company has made headlines in previous years for its “unconventional” approaches to treatment. In 2012, the Narconon Quebec location was shuttered after at least four clients were taken to hospital. According to a 2012 CBC media report, the company used lengthy sauna detox sessions and an excessive amount of vitamins to treat patients, as inspired by the teachings of Scientology.

This went against legal criteria for regulating Quebec’s rehab centres, as there was no medical supervision or scientific basis to the treatment, according to the CBC report. Qureshi said that the centre was shut down because of a change in the medical model of treating drug addiction in Quebec, which favoured drug replacement therapy instead of natural remedies.

“We appreciate that the rest of Canada sees the handling of drug addiction differently and recognize that there are alternative methods addressing the problem of drugs,” she said.

Joyce See, director of community health services for the Halton Region Health Department, said she couldn’t comment on the treatment methods prescribed by the Narconon facilities, but said the Region provides psychiatric out-patient services, where medical professionals work with people suffering from addiction. The department also recommends services like ADAPT — Halton Alcohol, Drug and Gambling Assessment Prevention and Treatment Service.

Treatment methods aside, Koopmans and Councillor Cindy Lunau said residents in the area have expressed concerns that a privately-owned facility would be using municipal services, such as hospitals and ambulances, at the expense of the taxpayer.

Qureshi said that most of the services used by the facility would be funded by the clientele and through donations at no further burden to the taxpayer.

“Once we are closer to actually opening the centre, we will invite people from the community to visit the centre and see our program for themselves,” she added.
    The opinion of a few Town staffers and the handful of residents who showed up to council chambers last week in support of the committee’s decision is that this day will never come.

“The facility should be placed where its uses are permitted,” said Koopmans. Tom Weinstein, a resident of Milburough Line, thanked committee members for being attentive to their concerns.

“On behalf of the residents of Milburough Line, we thank the Committee of Adjustment for making the decision (to deny the initial application) and we will continue to support the Town at the OMB (Ontario Municipal Board) meeting,” he said.

Qureshi is confident that the OMB, an independent adjudicative tribunal, could decide in their favour because “the program fully complies with all existing laws in the province with respect to drug rehabilitation programs.”

However, lack of access to an arterial road remains a big issue and it will be up to the OMB to weigh the evidence and come to an informed decision. Narconon’s head office is located in Los Angeles, California. The company has more than 100 locations in more than 30 different countries.

Rachael Williams can be reached at rwilliams@miltoncanadianchampion.com and on Twitter @MiltonReports.

WITH MY COMMENT HERE:

This Narconon opening must be prevented at all costs. If this Narconon opens, it will be tax burden on residents. There is now close to 30 Lawsuits in the USA against Narconon, ans it is evident by the Quebec Human Rights Commission decision that this program violates human rights and causes death, More than 14 people have DIED inside Narconons. I have filed a Formal Complaint with the Ontario College of Physicians and now will direct another to the Ontario Human Rights Commission. PLEASE read the information on these 2 WEBSTIES:

http://narcononcanada.com/2012/07/12/narconon-secrets-drugs-guns/
    http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Narconon/ COMMENTS ARE OPEN AT THE WEBSITE:
    http://www.insidehalton.com/news-st...going-to-omb-after-milton-application-denied/
    • Like Like x 7
  4. Intelligence Member

I'm juggling 4-5 or more Cases right now, but THIS is very important to jump on ASAP!!!

See attached PDF File from:

s5i8u8.jpg

PDF FILE ATTACHED BELOW:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 6
  5. Intelligence Member

Google Maps points to here? Is this right, I wonder.

6fs02b.jpg

28koci8.jpg
    • Like Like x 4
  6. Intelligence Member

For the Lulz ... may need a Recon?:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Intelligence Member

8. Intelligence Member

• Like Like x 2
  9. Intelligence Member

v43t07.jpg

There is still two months before the Hearing and it should be a doozie - will try to be there if possible?

In the meantime, I think the OMB and Community will have enough DATA to 'JUST SAY NO' ATTACHING THE PDF FILE AGAIN HERE in CASE SOMEONE MISSED IT ABOVE?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Intelligence Member

LMAO ... you kill me with humour, BigBeard and I love eet. Someone PMed me soon after your post.

I'm over my head right now for next few days with legal dox and submissions that were requested
    from one Quebec agency, so GOOD THING this matter is nearly TWO months away. Lots of time to help
    the Milton Community and OMB to STOP the Cult from infiltrating their community.:cool:
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Intelligence Member

Interesting that most of the Minton resident's language is English with only 1.5% French ... just saying ...

It's a growing community with decent, high wages for both genders, and an unlikely community
    that wants a Cult of Death and Abuse in their back yard. Nor do they want protests/pickets.:cool:

Most of Milton is either a Christian (64.6%), or affiliates with no religion (19.5%), but has large Muslim (9.7%), Hindu (3.0%), and Sikh (1.9%) communities. The remaining 1.3% affiliate with another religion.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. BigBeard Member

I have to admit to being concerned with that last "Financial Impact" paragraph above, outlined in red. It will be just like Cof$/narCONon to do everything they can to drag the process out to drive up the costs of defending the decision to the OMB. I hope the OMB has some process/procedure in place to stomp on those kinds of games real quick if it happens.

BigBeard
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Aurora Member

Under their "Relationship to the Strategic Plan" it puts narCONon's supposed relationship as part of "A safe, liveable and healthy community".
    I think all the info they receive will show that narCONon would help make their area "A dangerous, unliveable and unhealthy community" & therefore doesn't fit the plans for the town.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Intelligence Member

Indeed, the OMB and others will be directed to the potential disturbances and unhealthy aspecsts:

http://www.examiner.com/article/thirty-911-calls-from-narconon-arrowhead-one-year

Thirty 911 Calls from Narconon Arrowhead in One Year

http://narcononcanada.com/2012/10/26/narconon-911-calls/

Narconon Arrowhead 911 Calls To Sheriff

http://offdainnertube.blogspot.ca/2012_04_01_archive.html

Narconon Trois-Rivières: Disturbing testimony of former employees

cyberpresse.ca (translated) [Apr 18] ~ (Trois-Rivières) Things weren't sailing very smoothly inside Narconon during the past few months. This, at least, is what emerges from the testimony of Narconon employees who, after their sudden dismissal, felt the need to speak out in public about the situation to Le Nouvelliste.

"Some of these cases weren't admissible to the program because it requires cutting off their medication. But the administration chose to keep them anyway. There were several instances of attempted suicide during the past few months. By law, immediate medical assistance should have been provided, but management decided to keep these persons without calling for an ambulance," says the former employee.

"We're playing with people's lives"

985fm.ca [Apr 17] (translated) ~ The Mauricie and Central-Quebec Health and Social Services Agency gave details on Tuesday about the reasons that led it to deny certification to the Narconon Trois-Rivières detoxification center.

Of the fifty-five criteria required for certification, the Quebec Accreditation Council identified forty-six deficiencies, twenty-six of them considered high-risk. One of the procedures that represents a health risk is the sauna sweating sessions combined with massive doses of vitamins.

Narconon's methods are based on the teachings of the Church of Scientology, which, according to the Agency, perceives drug addiction as moral depravity and associates it with dishonesty.

Marc Lacour also confirmed that the regional complaints commissioner has received a certain number of complaints about Narconon. Clients who wanted to end their stay prematurely complained that their identity cards, passports, and money were taken and withheld to make departing more complicated.
    • Like Like x 3
  15. Intelligence Member

https://www.milton.ca/en/build/resou...oning_text.pdf

" PD-001-15 Appeal to OMB Denial Narcanon"
    http://www.milton.ca/MeetingDocument...20Narcanon.pdf

Agenda - Council
    ... Act Name(s) • Shelly van Empel, Deputy Clerk VI. ITEMS FOR
    CONSIDERATION 1 Staff Report PD-001-15 Subject: Appeal
    http://www.milton.ca/meetingdocument...ry_26_2015.pdf

Council and Committee Report Template
    Date: January 26, 2015 Report No: PD-001-15
    http://www.milton.ca/meetingdocument...20narcanon.pdf
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Intelligence Member

1zpmhp0.jpg

http://www.wireservice.ca/index.php?module=News&func=display&sid=14658

Scientology in Canada appealing to OMB for drug rehab

MORE HERE:

http://www.wireservice.ca/index.php?module=News&func=display&sid=14658

• Like Like x 5
  17. Intelligence Member

• Like Like x 1
  18. Intelligence Member

http://www.examiner.com/article/sci...-gets-thumbs-down-from-milton?cid=db_articles

Scientology’s proposed Narconon in Ontario gets thumbs down from Milton

Feb. 5, 2015 by Cult Examiner, David Love: "It appears the Scientology entity, Social Betterment Properties International ‘jumped the gun’ with poor judgement, and planning that would normally be prudent before moving forward with an expensive venture such as a new drug rehab center in Canada. - CHCH News reporter who played video clips of the NBC Rock Center expose about Narconon Arrowhead where 3 patients died inside the center."
    • Like Like x 2
  19. DeathHamster Member

• Like Like x 1
  20. DeathHamster Member

This is the place that they said they were opening:
    Caledon.jpg

Is that the place in Milton, another place in Caledon, or just a total fabrication? It sure looks bigger than a 10 bed Narconon.
    • Like Like x 3
  21. TorontosRoot Member

Fabrication likely. Photoshopped is a big one, check if the sign was 'shopped in or text changed?
    • Like Like x 1
  22. White Tara Global Moderator

Not bigger than 15 beds by the looks of it to me. but no beds would be better
    • Like Like x 3
  23. DeathHamster Member

Scientology always lies, but about what?

If that's the place in Milton, they could have lied, saying that it was a 10 bed place to get it open under existing bylaws, then try to expand it once it's operating.
    • Like Like x 2
  24. DeathHamster Member

That looks like the equivalent of three large homes on that property, and Narconon usually fits them in four to a bedroom.
    • Like Like x 2
  25. DeathHamster Member

In the Google satellite image of the Milton location, I don't see the curvy driveway in the claimed picture.
    • Like Like x 2
  26. TorontosRoot Member

Definitely shopped then. (google streetview was misbehaving in the android application and the satellite view screwed itself out.)
    • Like Like x 1
  27. DeathHamster Member

Or they have more than one place on the go.

Clark Carr seems to have been bypassed on this one, and they have Rubina Qureshi, VP of ABLE, as their "company representative". Miscavige seems determined to get Narconon back into Canada. ‎
    • Like Like x 3
  28. TorontosRoot Member

I guess we need to be double determined to keep them out of canada entirely. I'm thinking about doing some recon to do with that suspected narconon thing on avenue road, during the springter or summer.
    • Like Like x 3
  29. Quentinanon Member

I wonder if the houses depicted here are in some new subdivision. Note that lights are on in all rooms, including the basement. Sign looks like anodized aluminum, but a one-off would be expensive. A shoop would be a great deal cheaper than a prop. The photo could be from almost anywhere in the northern U.S. - southern Canada. I would call bullshit on this without confirming evidence of location.
    caledon-jpg.243940.jpg
    • Like Like x 3
  30. DeathHamster Member

http://tonyortega.org/2015/02/09/ma...ish-again-as-narconon-international-vanishes/
    Bypassed and then some.
    • Like Like x 7
  31. BigBeard Member

^^^This could be big, considering how many NN's have their 501(c)3 status through NN Int and the 93 Closing Agreement. Hopefully anything found in the rubbish that appears even remotely relevant will get to the lawyers with ongoing cases against NN.

And considering the way Clark Carr has "disappeared" and vacated his office, they may want to consider getting NN's assest frozen if this even remotely looks like an attempt to avoid judgement.

BigBeard
    • Like Like x 4
  32. Quentinanon Member

The scientology crime syndicate hides their dupes who could get served with a subpoena and know too much. I have seen that happen many times. The guy may have gone to the cult's mexican safehouse.
    • Like Like x 2
  33. Intelligence Member

In my opinion, for what it's worth, I think both Clark Carr and Yvette Shank are feeling the wrath
    of evil from DM and perhaps both are in hiding?

And trying to sue these slithering ghosts is not an easy task. They run, they disappear, but they can't
    hide forever .... maybe just long enough for the 'Statutes of Limitations' to run out?:rolleyes:
    • Like Like x 1
  34. Intelligence Member

BLAME XENU:
    Clark Carr and Narconon International screw up

• Like Like x 1
  35. I blame Hubbard
    • Like Like x 1
  36. Quentinanon Member

OSA has a preference for countries with no extradition treaties, but only one has a legal climate tolerant of scientology. I find it interesting that the United States has no extradition treaty with Taiwan and the cult claims 1 org and 17 missions there. It would not be tough to hide a foreign fugitive staff member in Taiwan under a false name on morg staff.
    • Like Like x 2
  37. Intelligence Member

I don't think the culties would have to flle as far away as Taiwan? Although Panama does have
    an extradition treaty with the USA since 1905, it takes quite some time, and there must be good reason
    such as a criminal act or perhaps USA Tax evasion?

Apparently, it takes about three months for the Supreme Court to decide on an extradition and then they give a written judgment explaining their reasons. If you include the time it takes for the requesting country to make the solicitation and getting all the paperwork through, the whole process is more like four or five months.

Panama's Foreign Ministry would forward it to the Justice Ministry and then the Supreme Court.

http://www.panama-offshore-services.com/blog/panama_usa_extradition.htm

In 1905, President Theodore Roosevelt signed a treaty with the new country, Panama, for the extradition of U.S. fugitives. The Panama – USA Extradition Treaty provided a list of crimes committed within U.S. borders and jurisdictions enabling Panamanian officials to arrest and to extradite fugitives wanted in the U.S.

###

For Civil Lawsuit matters or to be Deposed in a Scientology/Narconon matter, it appears the
    culties would be safe in Panama?
    • Like Like x 1
  38. Quentinanon Member

Not completely.
    http://mypanamalawyer.blogspot.com/2008/04/debunking-myth-of-extraditions-from.html
    • Like Like x 2
  39. Intelligence Member

• Like Like x 3
  40. Intelligence Member

• Like Like x 2