Customize

Scientology: A to Xenu, book by Chris Shelton on Amazon

Discussion in 'Media' started by The Wrong Guy, Dec 25, 2015.

1. Incredulicide Member

Some academic/government reports she's been in
    https://scientology.neocities.org/#sr=Ursula,Caberta
    tags search: Ursula,Caberta
    Reports/Journals
    1995: Effects of the use of scientology's intellectual property upon a pluralistic society or portions of it in a liberal democratic constitutional state Dr. Hans-Gerd Jaschke, commission of the Ministry of the Interior of the Province of North Rhein-Westphalia, December
    1998: Final Report of the Enquete Commission on “So-called Sects and Psychogroups” Bonner Universitäts-Buchdruckerei Die Deutsche Bibliothek - CIP-Einheitsaufnahme
    2001: The French and German verses American debate over “new religions”, Scientology and human rights Stephen A. Kent, Marburg Journal of Religion, Volume 6, No. 1, January
  2. The Wrong Guy Member

Rachel Bernstein: How to Talk to Scientologists (Part 2)

Uploaded by Chris Shelton on February 25, 2016

In Part 2, we talk about what sort of things destructive cults do to their members and how they scare them into not talking to family and friends. We discuss in detail how to overcome those those tactics.

I also share a very personal story of how I maintained communication with my own mother despite Scientology's efforts to separate us.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. BLiP Member

This is a misconception I see regularly. Ursula did not work for the German government, she worked for the State of Hamburg government - state, not national.
    • Like Like x 5
  4. DeathHamster Member

• Like Like x 2
  5. DeathHamster Member

I suspect that sometimes they had no idea of what was happening on the lower levels.
  6. anonysamvines Member

Thanks again, some of the links I have been checking on the Xenu site are broken.

It was the statement about US embassy officials visiting her office trying to counter Germany's (presumably Hamburg was meant) efforts to stop Co$ in Germany/Hamburg that most interest me
  7. anonysamvines Member

Thanks, your site is a treasure trove. Finally bookmarked it (doh)
    I am looking for the statement Ursula made about US embassy agents visiting her to counter Hamburg's work against Co$ That Jane refers to in the screenshot.
  8. DeathHamster Member

I don't recall that in any press story. Best place to look would probably be in one of the videos. e.g.:

Also this:
    Category:US State Department
    • Like Like x 1
  9. anonysamvines Member

Thank you so much, that video nailed it.
    Thanks also Hamburg Anons - the translation to English available through the cc button is excellent
  10. The Wrong Guy Member

Rachel Bernstein: How to Talk to Scientologists (Part 3)

Uploaded by Chris Shelton on February 29, 2016

In Part 3, we talk about the importance of care, compassion and understanding in dealing with active cult members and how this more than anything is what gets through to them.
  11. RightOn Member

^ bravo to Rachel for helping people out.
    But what should also be mentioned, is that you don't always have a hell of a lot of time to talk to people especially in a protest situation.
    The suggestion of being respectful is of course the way to go.
    Sometimes planting just a small seed of doubt is all that is needed to start someone thinking. I have heard several stories (and everyone wakes up or starts to research at their own pace) where a protestor said something or it was something they read on a sign, or heard from a protestor that was instrumental in helping them to start asking themselves questions.
  12. anonysamvines Member

Yup

And one thing that often comes up from ex's is that the phrase
    "Your doubts are valid"
    got through
    • Like Like x 1
  13. The Wrong Guy Member

Thought Stopping Cliches in Scientology

Uploaded by Chris Shelton on March 10, 2016

Thought stopping cliches are expressions or sayings that are used to shut down reason and critical thinking. These are used throughout Scientology and almost any other subject you can name. In this video, I describe a few of these and how to combat those who use them effectively.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. The Wrong Guy Member

Scientology's Personality Test: Science or Scam?

Uploaded by Chris Shelton on March 17, 2016

Scientology's free personality test (also called the Oxford Capacity Analysis or OCA) is arguably its most successful method of convincing people to become members. What is this test all about? Where did it come from? In this video, I break this down in detail.

Scientology’s ‘personality test’ taken apart like never before, and by a former member

By Tony Ortega, The Underground Bunker, March 17, 2016

Chris Shelton has a nice treat for us today. He took a very detailed look at the history and use of Scientology’s “Oxford Capacity Analysis,” the fancy (and fraudulent) name for its famous personality test.

For most people, Scientology’s personality test is the first encounter they have with the organization, as they’re pulled in off the street with the prospect of learning more about themselves. But what is the test based on? And what does it measure?

Chris goes back to Scientology’s early years to explain the development of the test and how it became such a prominent part of Scientology’s come-on. And his debunking of its value is really quite entertaining.

Continued here with open comments:
    http://tonyortega.org/2016/03/17/sc...art-like-never-before-and-by-a-former-member/
    • Like Like x 1
  15. The Wrong Guy Member

How Critical Thinking Destroys Scientology

Uploaded by Chris Shelton on March 24, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  16. The Wrong Guy Member

Me, My Mom and Scientology - Part 1

Uploaded by Chris Shelton on March 31, 2016

In this 4-part series, I interview my Mom about Scientology, our mutual history with it and how she helped me to escape.

In this first part, we go over how my parents first got involved and what eventually led to her leaving in the late 1980s.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. The Wrong Guy Member

Me, My Mom and Scientology - Part 2

Uploaded by Chris Shelton on April 7, 2016

In this 4-part series, I interview my Mom about Scientology, our mutual history with it and how she helped me to escape.

In this second part, we talk about some of the big differences between Scientology back in the 1970s compared to now and how it has become much harsher and more authoritarian.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. The Wrong Guy Member

Me, My Mom and Scientology - Part 3

Uploaded by Chris Shelton on April 13, 2016

In this third part, we talk about disconnection, my life in the Sea Org and why we did not see each other a lot when I was in but how we stayed connected despite every reason Scientology was giving me to get her out of my life.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. fishypants Moderator

US Embassy cable dated 21/12/2007 documents a meeting between Caberta and a US embassy official on 13 November 2007:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/us-embassy-cables-documents/135450
    • Like Like x 1
  20. anonysamvines Member

Thanks fishypants
    • Like Like x 1
  21. The Wrong Guy Member

Scientology's Desperate Media Tactics

Uploaded by Chris Shelton on April 27, 2016

Scientology specializes in ad hominem attacks against its critics because it cannot make an honest argument against the very deserved criticism it receives for violating the human rights of its members and abusing its staff.

Today, Tony Ortega wrote:

Also, Chris sent us this notice about an upcoming event:

“This Sunday, May 1st, Jamie DeWolf and I will be at the Center for Inquiry in Los Angeles to talk about Scientology and my book, Scientology: A to Xenu – An Insider’s Guide to What Scientology is Really All About. The event will start at 11 am and go until 12:30 pm, and I will be doing a book reading and be available for book signings after. There is a fee of $8 to attend which defrays the cost to CFI for hosting it (none of that money is going to Jamie or me). Everyone is invited and we hope that you will be able to make it.”

http://tonyortega.org/2016/04/28/a-...e-the-missing-tayler-tweed-facebook-postings/
  22. The Wrong Guy Member

This morning, Tony Ortega wrote:

Live coverage of today’s talk at CFI-Los Angeles

Chris Shelton and Jamie DeWolf will be speaking today at the Center for Inquiry’s Steve Allen Theater in Hollywood, and Nora Crest tells us she’s going to be streaming it live on her Periscope channel.

We’ll get you some more info about it, and a link, later today.

http://tonyortega.org/2016/05/01/sc...s-and-more-in-our-weekly-social-media-review/
  23. The Wrong Guy Member

An Insider's Take on Scientology's Secret "Paramilitary" Sea Organization | Westword

There was a time when the Church of Scientology basked in the reflected glamor of its celebrity adherents, from Tom Cruise and John Travolta to the likes of Isaac Hayes and Chick Corea. But in recent years the religious organization launched by sci-fi writer L. Ron Hubbard seems to have lost quite a bit of its luster — and its following. Mocked by South Park , targeted by protests from the hacker collective Anonymous, drubbed by investigative reports and the searing HBO documentary Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief, the COS has also had to contend with a series of tell-all books and interviews by high-ranking defectors, including unflattering portraits of Scientology leader David Miscavige by a niece and his own father.

One of the most recent and useful contributions to the literature of the disaffected comes from Englewood resident Chris Shelton, who spent 27 years in Scientology — much of that time in the elite Sea Organization, which Shelton characterizes as a kind of paramilitary group staffed by Hubbard's most devoted followers. Since turning his back on the church three years ago, being declared a "suppressive person" by Scientology officials and moving to Colorado, Shelton has produced a number of videos and articles on COS practices. He's also self-published a book, Scientology: A to Xenu, that examines his experiences in the Sea Org while offering detailed, critical analysis of what he regards as the cultic, self-destructive and mercenary aspects of the organization under Miscavige's leadership.

"It's hard to appreciate the degree of control they have over your life," Shelton says about his days in the Sea Org. When he first left Scientology, he adds, "I was very angry. I felt I had been taken advantage of in a way that was quite horrifying." Writing about the church's teachings from a perspective of critical thought, rather than simply ranting anonymously online about his own exploitation, proved to be "very cathartic."

Continued here:
    http://www.westword.com/news/an-ins...-secret-paramilitary-sea-organization-7904857
    • Like Like x 3
  24. The Wrong Guy Member

Scientology and PTSD

Uploaded by Chris Shelton on May 19, 2016

Scientology and other destructive cults like it create trauma and stress through their usual practices and activities, much of which is not even fully realized by members of these cults while they are still trapped in them.

In this video I break down what trauma and PTSD are and just some of the ways that Scientology creates psychological and emotional damage.
  25. The Wrong Guy Member

Recovering from Scientology - Redefining Normal

Uploaded by Chris Shelton on May 26, 2016

Destructive cults like Scientology distort reality and re-define what is normal and real for their members. A key part of recovery is education about this and acclimating back into the real world by learning about these mechanisms.
    • Like Like x 2
  26. The Wrong Guy Member

Doubling Down on Madness - Scientology & JW Shunning

Uploaded by Chris Shelton on June 2, 2016

Scientology is not the only destructive cult that practices shunning or, as they call it, disconnection. The Jehovah's Witnesses also engage in this toxic practice, ripping apart families and destroying lives in the process. Recently the Jehovah's Witnesses have released a video indoctrinating its members in how to shun family members and loved ones "for their own good." In this video, ex-JW Lloyd Evans and I discuss this video and the subject.

Lloyd Evan's YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/johncedars1929
    • Like Like x 1
  27. The Wrong Guy Member

Scientology and Language Control

Uploaded by Chris Shelton on June 23, 2016

Language is a primary tool of manipulation for destructive cult leaders, politicians, the media and other lowlife out there. In this video, I talk briefly about this subject and give a specific example of how this tool is used in Scientology to control its members.
    • Like Like x 1
  28. The Wrong Guy Member

What Scientology Taught Me

Uploaded by Chris Shelton on July 21, 2016

This video will make most sense to ex-Scientologists and those familiar with Scientology teachings. This is a just a short rundown of some life lessons I've learned since leaving Scientology and realizing how much nonsense and crap L. Ron Hubbard spews in the name of "help" and how it actually is harmful to good living.
    • Like Like x 1
  29. DeathHamster Member

Lobbying disclosure 2007 Year-End: http://disclosures.house.gov/ld/pdfform.aspx?id=300022381
    • Like Like x 2
  30. The Wrong Guy Member

Sensibly Speaking Podcast #51 - A New Explanation of L. Ron Hubbard

Uploaded by Chris Shelton on August 13, 2016

One of the biggest questions about Scientology is what were the intentions of its founder, L. Ron Hubbard in creating it and if it's a great big con, why would he have stuck with it for decades and written and done as much as he did. In this episode, guest Yuval Laor and I discuss a theory that could answer these questions and explain L. Ron Hubbard in a way that has never been talked about before.
  31. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 1
  32. The Wrong Guy Member

The Axioms of Dianetics: L. Ron Hubbard’s science-y foundation of Scientology ‘tech’

By Tony Ortega, The Underground Bunker, February 15, 2019

Quote:

Former Scientology ‘Sea Org’ executive Chris Shelton has been diving into L. Ron Hubbard’s “technology” lately, making videos about basic Scientology ideas. In this piece for the Bunker, Chris helps us understand one of Scientology’s bedrock concepts — the “Axioms.”

Continued at https://tonyortega.org/2019/02/15/t...rds-science-y-foundation-of-scientology-tech/
    • Like Like x 1
  33. The Wrong Guy Member

If you thought Scientology’s ‘Axioms’ were dumb, the ‘Logics’ are even dumberer

By Tony Ortega, The Underground Bunker, February 21, 2019

Quote:

Chris Shelton had fun with L. Ron Hubbard’s ‘Axioms’ on Friday. Now, he takes another one for the team and tries to deal with the illogic of Hubbard’s ‘Logics.’

Continued at https://tonyortega.org/2019/02/21/thursday-3/
    • Like Like x 2
  34. Incredulicide Member

From https://anchor.fm/recovering-from-religion/episodes/E11-Scientology-and-Critical-Thinking-e38eth

E11: Scientology and Critical Thinking

An episode of Recovering from Religion
    "Recovering from Religion" is an international community for those who have questions or doubts about their faith. We aren’t here to talk you out of or into faith, just provide a safe place to examine what you believe. And perhaps, why you believe it.

Your hosts, authors Tim Rymel, M.Ed., and Bill Prickett, will bring guests who've experienced harm from extreme religious beliefs and practices, as well as experts who can offer help, hope and healing.
    www.recoveringfromreligion.org

Chris Shelton grew up in Scientology, and was a Sea Org member for more than 17 years. Since his exit, he’s been a passionate, outspoken critic, to the point of being labeled a “suppressive person” by the Church. He was featured on Leah Remini’s "Scientology and the Aftermath" on A&E.

Chris is now a writer, consultant and advocate for critical thinking. His YouTube channel has more than 17,000 subscribers, and he’s the host of "Sensibly Speaking," a podcast that educates about critical thinking as well as the dangers of cults.

He's the author of "Scientology: A to Xenu – An Insider’s Guide to What Scientology is Really All About," a critical analysis of Scientology and L. Ron Hubbard.

Podcast: http://sensiblyspeaking.com/
    Book: https://goo.gl/VPcE29

Audio Waybacked
    • Like Like x 1
  35. TorontosRoot Member

Those who call him a fraud, are behind the cults and abusive organisations he is educating and warning people about.