Customize

Salvation Army Pastor responds to Scientology claims

Discussion in 'Senator Xenophon And Scientology' started by OTBT, Jun 28, 2010.

1. OTBT Member

Salvation Army Pastor responds to Scientology claims

The author of this is an Officer (Clergy / Pastor) in The Salvation Army.

thatjeffcarter was here

http://forums.whyweprotest.net/15-m...just-like-salvation-army-68675/2/#post1277291
  2. EyeOnSci Member

3. Anonymous Member

Re: Salvation Army Pastor responds to Scientology claims

Awesome. The Salvation Army is truly a charitable organization, I cannot believe how much they help people, after seeing IRL results.
  4. tjcwh Member

The Salvation Army has also been declared a "Badass" organization by none other than cracked magazine. Thank you very much.
  5. tjcwh Member

I'm going to be checking to see if there is an official response of any kind - either from headquarters in Australia - or from our International headquarters in London. (which would seem relevant, considering the COS trouble there, too...)
  6. Anonymous Member

Sallies made an all-out effort to keep consensual arsefucking criminal in New Zealand back in ~1986. But they kinda apologised in ~2006, so I guess they're okay.
  7. Anonymous Member

This deserves a formal declaration. Be sure to point out how it could help the Salvation Army's' repute.
  8. Anonymous Member

9. Random guy Member

i don't think the Salvation Army is going to deign the cult with an answer, it is an absurd statement. We, the members of the public could fire off some letters to the major papers though.
  10. Ogsonofgroo Member

Beautiful, sciloons pissing everyone off, who'd have thunk it.
    In this country SA has done relentless good works amongst our society's most down and out people, I cannot fault them for that, they fed me a few times in my youth also when times were rough, it wasn't hard to ignore the fanaticism and they asked for nothing but a bit of faith, maybe a remembrance towards others down the road, no biggies. If they have a shitty or shady past here it is long gone and buried imho, something the cult of CoS will never see, redemption.
  11. Kha Khan Member

There were some of us, who didn't get it and were clearly delusional, in the 1980s - 1990s who tried to convince the COS to be [STRIKE]more[/STRIKE] charitable, to provide food for the homeless, perhaps even a homeless shelter -- to actually, you know, act like a real religion.

Please, stop laughing. I admit we were delusional.

[Then again, you should have seen the reaction I got when I started directing homeless people to Sunday services and, more importantly, the free meal. That went over well.]

Anyways, the standard objection was the Scientology Doctrine of Exchange. To provide people with food or shelter at no cost would be "out-exchange" and obviously bad for them. Better that they eat out of garbage cans and sleep in the rain.

The ironic thing is that a big current complaint by COS members and recent ex-members, and a big complaint by the Independent Scientology crowd, is that the COS is "out-exchange" -- but in entirely the opposite direction. Instead of giving people things (food, shelter, counseling) for "no exchange" (no money), it is instead taking things (money) for people from people for IAS, Idle Org, Preservation of the Tech, Library Campaigns, etc. for "no exchange" (no auditing or training).

Yep, we were real successful. We wanted the COS to become [STRIKE]more[/STRIKE] charitable, and it went in precisely the opposite direction. We thought it couldn't possibly get worse. We were wrong.

/
  12. charlie Member

Just out of curiosity I goggle earthed the sally bash in my area, 30 building's
    against 2 empty Cos one's LOL.

TYNE & WEAR
  13. Anonymous Member

Qn - how does the "out-exchange" doctrine apply to giving touch assists in Haiti?

If you're gonna tell me that, not only do they do laying on of the odd finger, they then expect the victim to do something in return, I need to clear the floor of potential ROFL risks.
  14. Kha Khan Member

The exchange is good PR.

Also, it seems the COS has been doing a lot of recruiting in third world countries that don't have much internet access and people don't know its reputation. Even if the people don't have money, they can provide bodies and therefore stats.

Expect a video at the next event about the Ideal Org of Port-au-Prince.

/
  15. Anonymous Member

It's well known that the Sally Army little old ladies in hats understand evil and fear nothing. The cult just tried to align itself to the wrong charity.

Big Salvation Army building in City of London is on the same street as scientology Cult building - neighbours almost.
  16. Random guy Member

17. Anonymous Member

I really think there are numerous people within the Orgs working to sabotage Scientology's PR. Note how they selected a lawyer with the surname 'McBride' to support their submission? This may have been an underhanded way to remind the Senators of Australian soldier Edward McBride who committed suicide following harassment by Scientology officials.

The comparison with the Salvation Army is clearly unconvincing and I suspect that it was intentionally made to provoke a backlash from genuine charitable organisations as well as ridicule and criticism from the community. I do not believe Scientologists are really that clueless.
  18. Kha Khan Member

Having been a Scientologist and having studied them for quite awhile, I can say with all certainty: Yes, they are that clueless.

The Scientologists will focus on the superficial.

Paramilitary or pseudo-military structure? Check.

Wear military like uniforms? Check.

Have military ranks? Check.

Provide room and board for members of the religious order? Check.

What Scientologists miss, of course is Matthew 7:16, Matthew 7:17, Matthew 7:18, Matthew 7:19, and Matthew 7:20.

/
  19. Anonymous Member

And yet you are. Strange.
  20. Anonymous Member

Scientology regularly tries to compare themselves with the Salvation Army and Red Cross volunteers

Churches of Scientology Disaster Response Participates in the 2009 Annual National VOAD Conference

The Red Cross and Salvation Army have emergency vehicles, Scientology has bright yellow tents and "gives" free touch assists.
  21. Anonymous Member

One of the submissions for the Public Benefit Test

https://senate.aph.gov.au/submissio....aspx?id=e68f39c3-1830-4b08-a0f2-3569eb8a580a

22. JohnnyRUClear Member

Things I never thought to think I'd never see....
  23. Random guy Member

Wow, cudos to the SA! I'd like to see how the VM would do in the trenches trying to do first aid!
  24. DeathHamster Member

And they regularly claim to be "working with" or even invited by them at disasters, knowing that both organizations have higher priorities (like real disaster work) than going around correcting CoS claims.

VTVMs.jpg
    (The press were tipped and when they checked, not a single group mentioned knew a thing about it. The Vulture Ministers folded their recruitment tent and moved off campus after a few days.)
  25. thefatman Member

Having spoken to Tad Reeves on Skype, it's little wonder they failed at Virginia Tech seeing as he was utterly imcompetant at everything.
  26. RightOn Member

oh man, great response from SA
  27. Re: Salvation Army Pastor responds to Scientology claims

Salvation Army's response was so beautiful it brought a tear to my eye.

I can't wait to see who the Cult of Fail pisses off next.
  28. OTBT Member

The blogger has written numerous posts critical of scientology. If you like his latest post, here is his "collection" of posts examining scientology. Enjoy.

thatjeffcarter was here: Search results for scientology
  29. AnonyMary Member

I just love it when we gain allies such as this. Thanks for your posts here.

Mary
  30. Anonymous Member

Between Hubbard's paranoia and his cons, any classified group Not Scientology was named as an "Enemy" eventually. Salvation Army, for example, would be covered under both Religious and Charity, denigrated thoroughly and often in Hubbard policies and lectures.

The reason why "donation" prices escalate, why new donation "campaigns" escalate (IAS, Library, etc) is solely because Scientology's Enemy Lists escalate, and in direct proportion. Name one group today that Isn't an Enemy.

Attack and Enforcement Funds (lawyers, accountants, private investigators, et al)
    imo are the sole reason scientology still exists. When the entire world becomes your enemy, however, even Tom Cruise does not have enough to sustain it.

"Opening the Books" (the ones that are factual) will End It.
  31. tjcwh Member

To be clear - my response is not the OFFICIAL response of The Salvation Army - I'm just one little Captain.

But thank you for your kind words.
  32. Anonymous Member

lol
  33. JohnnyRUClear Member

Nyuk, nyuk.
  34. Goosh Goosh Member

have you by chance harpooned an actual SA rep?
  35. Anonymous Member

Why does the CoS feel the need to compare themselves to any other organization to legitimize themselves?

Can't they simply produce evidence of the copious charitable works they've been doing for decades?
  36. Anonymous Member

6: Salvation Army
    5: mounties
    4: boy scouts (badass because they fought in WWI)
    3: us treasury
    2: buckingham palace guards (badass because they fought napoleon)
    1: high school cheerleaders

I'd put SA in the 50% of those that really are badass.
  37. Anonymous Member

Has anyone pooned Lowtax yet?
    I'm sure he'd be willing to make a statement.
  38. anon555 Member

39. JohnnyRUClear Member

I'm sure we will. :)

Oh, you meant the gummint? Well, that's why we'll follow up: to make sure they follow up.
  40. Anonymous Member

("The Church of Scientology also committed to handing over its books to the committee for further scrutiny.")

I do believe Dr. Alan Eggleston is very experienced and capable, and the Committee received in depth relevant submissions.
    Parliament of Australia:Senate:Committees:Economics:Completed Inquiries

I'll take a wild guess that OSA expenditures won't be included, much less Sci Lawyers' expenditures. lol. But that's okay, because there is such an abundance of chicanery. The very nature of the long term complexity of lies and manipulation within Scientology structure has created a mammoth Beast.

It's a monster of their own Proud creation. What none of them could foresee is that under the hot white lights of scrutiny, the Elephant in the Room is visible even to the blind.