Customize

Salon: Wired still won't release Manning/Lamo logs to prove Manning's guilt

Discussion in 'Wikileaks' started by Anonymous, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Anonymous Member

Salon: Wired still won't release Manning/Lamo logs to prove Manning's guilt

The worsening journalistic disgrace at Wired - Glenn Greenwald - Salon.com

In summary, Wired's Kevin Poulsen claims to have in possession, logs which prove that Manning was in direct contact with Assange to download government documents and have them published on Wikileaks. Yet the logs he released are only a portion of the entire conversation between Manning and Lamo. Salon calls out to Wired and Poulsen to put up or shut up.
  2. Anonymous Member

Re: Salon: Wired still won't release Manning/Lamo logs to prove Manning's guilt

ZOMGHOLEESHITE, that is some awesome investigative journalism! This NAILS LAMO and PAULSON!
  3. Anonymous Member

= nothing of value
  4. Anonymous Member

Lamo hacked SIPRnet and stole the cables, then he wrote the chatlog himself to blame Private Bradley Manning.
    PROVE ME WRONG!
  5. Anonymous Member

The links drawn in that article make it highly improbable that ANYTHING happened the way LAMO says it did. THIS is important to the bigger picture. There are certainly coincidences in this life, but that chain of coincidences is close to impossible.
  6. Anonymous Member

Why the fuck hasn't Lamo been ritually sodomized by backlash from the hacker community yet?
  7. Anonymous Member

^^^^ THIS
  8. Anonymous Member

How do you know they haven't tried? You'll never hear about a hacker's work from a hacker (unless it's Lamo, of course). Actually, I'm not even sure if they've considered it... they're paranoid enough of the government as it is, and this guy is most likely being highly protected.

What's funny is Lamo still attends hacker conventions, where he is ignored and made to feel left out, while he brags about all his hacking accomplishments (the hacker community usually doesn't brag when their skills are actually worth two shits, and those that do are usually just skiddies, except that Lamo actually is a real hacker. He just has an ego three times the size of his heart, and can't keep anything to himself).
  9. Anonymous Member

I resent the implication that Lamo has any such bodily organ
  10. Anonymous Member

If the logs don't fit, they must acquit.
  11. Anonymous Member

I wouldn't let anything that crazy touch my shoulder.
    poulsen.png
  12. Anonymous Member

Glenn Greenwald is awesome when he is fuming with rage. Seriously. Where have these journalists been the last decade?
  13. Anonymous Member

OP link updated, Poulson promises a rebuttal on twitter:

UPDATE: Evan Hansen, the Editor-in-Chief of Wired.com, says on Twitter that Poulsen is "on vacation" but that Wired will post a response to this article tomorrow. What they ought to do, at the absolute minimum, is post the portions of the chat logs about which Lamo had made public statements or make clear that they do not exist. And here's Poulsen's response on Twitter, posted just now:

"Heard there's a measured, mature critique I should respond to. Will look for it tomorrow when I'm back from vacation." kpoulsen
  14. DeathHamster Member

15. Anonymous Member

16. Anonymous Member

17. Anonymous Member

18. Anonymous Member

in summary, the chats don't conclusively prove or disprove the amount of involvement Julian had in getting the info, and everyone's butt hurt about it.
  19. Anonymous Member

20. Anonymous Member

21. Anonymous Member

ftfy
  22. Anonymous Member

Wired is just whoring for attention. Apparently their e-mag is down to a 5th of it's original circulation. Poor babies, they had their time and are now fucking irrelavant.

They, of all entities, should know this familar internet refrain: Dox or GTFO!
  23. Anonymous Member

The key issue is whether or not the chat logs support the claims LAMO has been making publicly and the claims in effect forming public opinion about Manning prior to trial (he still hasn't been charged and is held in solitary confinement)...Greenwald says put up or shut up and Wired changes the subject.
  24. Anonymous Member

sanity fix
  25. Anonymous Member

26. Clever Name Member

27. Anonymous Member

28. Anonymous Member

that works too, but I think eventually we'll find out that wired is holding out because they don't actually have anything at all. Whether they're trying to protect Lamo or their own reputation is debatable.
  29. LocalSP Member

He is a Lawyer and a Journalist.
  30. Anonymous Member

What an incredibly fail article.

Greenwald is making one mistake throughout all of this, namely to assume that is the job of journalists to do some fact-checking and reveal the truth. He is clearly mistaken as bollocks articles like the above testify to.

It is quite simple. The ONLY source for information on Manning is from Lame-O. Lame-O has made all sorts of claims regarding Manning, which have largely been assumed as true and printed far and wide in the lamestream media. The small snag is that a lot of what Lame-O has said is contradictory to say the least. The chat logs would clear this up immediately. So why, especially given the huge public interest aspect to this story, have the relevant sections of those logs not been published?

Wired has made various claims regarding why they are withholding the logs, and none of them make any sense or stand up to scrutiny. Concerns over Manning’s privacy could be addressed either with redactions or by consulting his lawyer. Claiming to have released substantial excerpts is silly given the multitude of extravagant claims Lame-O has made not detailed in those extracts. And their latest double–salvo against Greenwald is a straight-up ‘attack the messenger’ diatribe that would have done the CoS proud.

When it is analysed in the cold light of day it is clear that Wired have provided no credible reason not to release the relevant portions of the logs. This is the crucial issue in all of this, and it is fucking disappointing that ‘journalists’ like the author of the above article could be so easily distracted from it simply because Wired wrote two angry (and completely missing the point) articles attacking Greenwald.

Here is where, imo, the importance of the logs lie. Per the relevant case law Wikileaks cannot be prosecuted for publishing classified material. This is tried and tested first amendment case law. The only real hope for prosecution is to link Wikileaks to the theft of the material. This is where the chat logs become important. The only relevant extract thus far published from the chat logs indicates that Wikileaks only received material, and did not assist in obtaining it. If this is indeed the scenario then the US government simply have no prosecutable case against Wikileaks. So when Lame-O spouts off in the press about the links between Manning and Wikileaks, in contradiction to the small portions of the chat logs currently released and in contradiction of his earlier comments, it should ring alarms bells if you’ve been paying attention. It should ring alarm bells in the same way as learning that multiple major financial institutions suddenly stopped processing Wikileaks’ donations.

Something stinks here. And why so-called ‘journalists’ don’t see the problem with Wired refusing to clear this mess up is beyond me. Why so-called ‘journalists’ can be so easily befuddled by Wired’s ‘attack the messenger’ tactic is also beyond me.

Greenwald wrote clearly and precisely on the issues I’ve described above, and Wired’s response was to yell invectives at him to distract from the key issue. I’m not sure which is worse. The fact that Wired thought they would get away with their tactic or the fact that, in the eyes on some, they did indeed get away with it.

Glenn Greenwald and Wired Magazine: “I see no reason to doubt Poulsen’s integrity or good faith
  31. Anonymous Member

32. Anonymous Member

The FBI has the information, and the important parts of the information are published. For the last few years we, here particularly, have understood the withholding of information when that information has to do with an ongoing criminal case.

Team Assange, and even many of us here are constantly looking for ways to spin, and in the case of many of the posters here - are looking to twist the facts for no other reason than to promote rage and conspiracy theories.

There is a decent chance they could have been asked not to publish that material.
  33. Anonymous Member

^ Then all they have to do is say that.

Meanwhile, why is Lamo still bubbling off in public about the case and the logs when he's a principle witness in an ongoing criminal case, and why hasn't he been asked to keep his mouth shut?

Get real Dr Spin, you can't have it both ways.
  34. Anonymous Member

I note with interest that you neglected to find a single factual error in my post. Please address this rather than bullshitting.
    This is completely at odds with comments Lame-O has made. A helpful website to make things crystal clear:
    Hey, Kevin Poulsen!
    I don’t understand the withholding of this information, for the multitude of reasons I laid out and you didn’t address. See below also.
    And the relevance of this is…what exactly? I spelled out my position, so I think it fair to ask that you spell out yours.
    QFT. This is real reason why I call bullshit on the whole ‘ongoing criminal case’ scenario.
  35. Re: Salon: Wired still won't release Manning/Lamo logs to prove Manning's guilt

I'm fairly certain it's up to the jury to decide what is relevant to Manning or potentially Assange's guilt or innocence, not the court of public opinion.

The FBI has the full logs, why do you think they would not provide them to the jury or the defense?
  36. themadhair Member

Please see Hey, Kevin Poulsen!
  37. Anonymous Member

On the case that they're trying to try Assange for espionage, is based on a law passed in 1917 which contradicts the constitution and is a current loophole for censoring the press.
  38. Anonymous Member

Wired usetabekool.

Now it sux donkey ass.
  39. Anonymous Member

Article 32 hearing does not have jury. He will still face a Court Martial trial (maybe with a jury) and then they will eventually try him at a federal level for espionage or treason after the court martial, it probably will be under Gitmo rules.
    The logs also shouldn't be allowable because they are just some text file with no way to authenticate Lamer didn't make them entirely up. Also, if Lamo wants to release them to Washington Post and Wired and partly to Boing Boing, he can just suck it up and release them to everyone. Wired is a bunch of liars and complicit with Lamo lying to the media and contradicting himself.