Customize

Ron Savelo DMCA

Discussion in 'Youtube and Vimeo Problems' started by A.Non Hubbard, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Spangly Member

Re: Ron Savelo DMCA

FOIA applies to governmental bodies only. Youtube is not the gubmint.

That is a disparity of the DMCA lawshit though - you're obliged to dox yourself to the complainer (via youtube), but youtube are not obliged to dox them to you to allow you to figure out if the claim is horseshit or not.
  2. LilDebbie Member

you're telling me the DMCA claims are not filed with any sort of governing body?

see, this is why i subscribe to anarchy; our present government is effectively already an anarchist state.
  3. Vir Member

Yes, DMCA claims are a civil matter between the various parties. But filing false claims are also a criminal matter, if the prosecuting authorities find it in the public interest to investigate.
  4. Anonynamefag Member

Cross-post:

Savelo just took down the "Abstinence Causes STD's" video. This is getting out-of-hand.
  5. Anonymous Member

Is this video anywhere else ? It is relevant to my interests as are mirrors of any video taken down for DMCA claims from Axiom 10. Especially let me know if the video is your original content.
  6. Obi-Wan-anon Member

It seems that he's really trying to get rid of the assault vids.

Someone should try putting up several different vids, with different names and subjects, with what appears to be normal content.

Then sandwich his vid inside. Make him go through the whole list of new vids.

Or take one of his vids, insert the assault vid, and re-release. Make him go through his own vids to see what people have inserted. If YouTube removes vids permanently based on content, it just might take out some of his...
  7. Herro Member

This Ron Savelo guy seems to be doing a good job of enturbulating people.
  8. Re: Ron Savelo DMCA

Not really. We're all just having fun bantering ideas about.
    You know. Comm-u-ni-cating with each other.
    $cilon aggression won't ever get buried again.
    Too many videos being made. Too many ways to share videos.
    The cult is going down. Enjoy the ride!
  9. Anonymous Member

Looking for that photo of Ron attacking.
  10. Ramona Member

It's in the other thread. Can we merge with one thread?

11. Ramona Member

Yes, I put it on my Vimeo site:
    Meow Macao's videos on Vimeo

He took down many of my videos that had only Hubbard's voice, and a screen showing the reference (as with the Celibacy Causes STDs video).

12. Anonymous Member

This is interesting if he is taking down videos that might be considered copyrighted by the CoS. It would be easy to prove that he does not own them.

I do have a question, did he pull ALL of those videos from You Tube account that you show on your Vimeo account ? And if so where they pulled using DMCA ?
  13. Anonymous Member

True, but it's not like CoS is going to do anything about it.
  14. Anonymous Member

I might be wrong but it is easy to prove that he is taking down videos that he does not own the copyright to. I may be wrong but I believe that you have to be acting as an agent for the copyright holder if you are not yourself. IF that is true then he is either claiming copyright on something that he does not own OR acting as an agent for scientology to take down the videos. (showing a pattern of criminal abuses)

OR I could be full of shit but I am going to find out.
  15. Anonymous Member

I might be overstating the obvious here but there are at least three kinds of videos that Axiom 10 has taken down. All three have to do with Scientology.

1) Private video that shows scientologists behaving badly (Like Shawn Lawnsdale's video)

2) Videos that are owned and recorded by CoS that include showing how stupid Hubbard was and the crazy stuff they believe.

3) Video's that expose the practices of Scientology that where NOT produced by the CoS.

and maybe

4) Videos that simply show that people are protesting the CoS.
  16. Anonymous Member

For starters, not to sound like a asshole, by whoever said about Youtube being a PRIVATE company and doesn't have to abide by the First Amendment is right.

Sorry, but it's true. Every site these days has a clause in their Terms of Service saying that they can delete any material that is deemed offensive, harmful or detrimental, etc. to the site.

From the dumb ideas dept.:

1. Maybe we can some of his Axiom 10 vids DCMA'd. (Sockpuppets wanted?)

2. Maybe we can get him to nuke all youtube and see what happens.

Just a thought...
  17. ARC Member

What you are suggesting (false DMCA complaints) is illegal and is both cause for prosecution and civil liability. I advise against it. Just because a shifty and arrogant Scientologist gets away with crimes for a while doesn't mean you should resort to doing the same crimes against him. Let's give YouTube and other assorted entities time to do the right thing here.

There are plenty of other things you can do which are both legal and lulzy.
  18. mrfyde Member

Why would you say things like THAT in a thread that is discussing all of ways that false DMCA's can get you fined or jailed ?

You Tube can pull a video for what ever reason they like BUT they chose not to pull those videos Axiom 10 pulled the video's by swearing that he owned the rights to them.
  19. Anonymous Member

From the very dumb ideas department.
    Filing false DMCAs is illegal. YouTube still has not reformed their DMCA system which is why we have people like venomfangx, oschaper, Tom Newton, and now Ron Savelo filing false DMCA claims whenever a video offends them.
    Not only that, but who knows how far Ron will take the counterclaim (and we know he will counterclaim). He may find a way to track down the offending user the same way Agent Filmit who was filming Agent Pubeit was being pursued for charges.

So filing false DMCAs = bad bad idea.
  20. LRonAnon Member

If Axiom 10 is pulling CoS videos(c) as a representative, that shows collusion. It shows he is acting on behalf of the cult with their blessings. (inb4salvo.gets.tossed.under.the.bus)

Conspiracy really complicates legal issues. Three important words here: "Document, Document, Document".

Walls are falling.
  21. 3rdMan Member

True that! Now if only we actually started calling the authorities on these false DMCA instead of getting butthurt. Or am I wrong and people are actually calling the authorities with complaints and simply haven't seen any results yet?
  22. Anonymous Member

23. Anonymous Member

Did he DMCA those pics ?

Thats what I was thinking, only I think Savelo would sell out the cult if he has a big enough fine, or is facing enough time in jail. I am sure that they will let you cut a deal Ron. You know you are all bark and no bite.
  24. Anonymous Member

There is a another kind of video he is taking down:

1) Private video that shows scientologists behaving badly (Like Shawn Lawnsdale's video)

2) Videos that are owned and recorded by CoS that include showing how stupid Hubbard was and the crazy stuff they believe.

3) Video's that expose the practices of Scientology that where NOT produced by the CoS.

4) Video's he produced and are being mocked for educational and entertainment reasons.

and maybe

5) Videos that simply show that people are protesting the CoS.
  25. muldrake Member

The only crime it is is perjury, which is barely ever prosecuted outside of it affecting actual court cases, and often not even then.

But the civil statute governing the offense allows for shifting attorney's fees to the defendant if you win. This means if you can demonstrate so much as a dollar in actual damages, the other side pays your attorney fees. Online Policy Group v. Diebold | Electronic Frontier Foundation is a case where this happened, where Diebold actually did own the documents in question. Someone making completely fake, perjured DMCA claims about stuff they don't even own and couldn't possibly believe they own is a slam dunk. Question is whether the cult would try to retroactively claim they had, in fact, actually authorized Savelo to do this; if so, the cult itself might be on the hook, since it seems the fraudulent claims involve material owned by nobody at all.

The statute in question is 17 USC § 512(f)(2). I can see why the EFF isn't really interested. Not only are they almost more a lobbying group now than a litigation organization, but as a test case, there's nothing interesting about it. It's a no-brainer. It's simply illegal to make fake DMCA claims, because it's felony perjury and it's also prohibited by civil law.

They're just betting the victims won't have the legal mojo to go after them, and so far, they're right. Ollie and Savelo and these other clowns have openly pissed in the face of everyone with absolute impunity and nothing has happened to them that they feel at all intimidated about. They clearly don't care that they're felons and on the hook for imaginary damages nobody will actually try to collect.
  26. Anonymous Member

Im so glad you chimed in :)

So you are saying it would be difficult to get a DA or criminal case going but a civil case would be a "slam dunk" ? And in a slam dunk case the person filing suit (the victim) would not have to pay the attorney anything other than out of their winnings ? - cuz that sounds like what you said, that Axiom 10 or even Ollie would have to not only pay their own layfags but the victim's lawfags as well. FOR EVERY CASE BROUGHT AGAINST THEM. So if they did this say 100 times they would have to pay 200 lawyers ?
  27. KRC Member

The easiest way to get rid of Savello is to alert YouTube, Google and EFF. If you alert the EFF onto him and present actual proof he's making non-actionable DMCA complaints to waste time and furthermore he has no right to do so to start with, he may get sued by EFF or even fined by the US government.
  28. Anonymous Member

Next time read the entire thread for bonus points and not making a nignog of yourself!
  29. Anonymous Member

That's the thing - it is difficult to prove. How do you prove to the EFF that Savelo does not own the copyrights to a video which cannot be seen because it was taken down? YouTube and Google do not (normally) investigate DMCA claims unless a counterclaim is filed.

For those who choose to report it to the EFF, consider having someone upload a copy to ruTube (the only site which seems to be immune to DMCA takedowns) so it can be better demonstrated how and why Ron Savelo is claiming copyright over something he does not own due to embarassment.
  30. Anonymous Member

Really ?? That simple ? I wonder why nobody has thought of that in the past ? Report to You Tube Report to EFF because neither of them have anything better to do.
  31. 3rdMan Member

Now that is sound logic. How often has Ollie and Salivate...Salevo....whatever have made false claims. They are doing it so often its fucking reckless! If we compound all the times they have done it, and I mean ALL of them, they're going to have spend a mega-fuck-ton in legal fees to prove they weren't false. At least with that their abuse then becomes expensive (another financial blow to Scientology) or maybe the Scifags will actually get prosecuted.

So how about archiving ALL the DMCA take-downs and file a massive complaint?
  32. Anonymous Member

Or several little ones.
  33. Re: Ron Savelo DMCA

If they lose enough money so they can no longer pay the legal fees, woulod the anons have to pay themselves?
  34. Anonymous Member

That would have to be discussed with each individual anons. lawfag I would imagine.
  35. Ramona Member

Yes, he did, and as you can see, some have only Hubbard's voice + a screen with the reference.

What's worse, though, is that in my 3 YouTube accounts that he has forced closed ("due to repeated violations" etc.), he has routinely DMCAd EVERY video, regardless of what it was. In the most recent incident, there was the preview/trailer for a 1974 surf film that I used to like. In the past, there have been bits of Carmen Amaya dancing in a 1931 film; there have been arty-experimental films I've made using public domain footage and music; whatever. He DMCAs all of it.

36. Anonymous Member

So Axiom 10 :
    a)owns those recordings of LRH (not likely)
    b) they are making false claims (Obviously)
    c) they are tagging videos on behalf of Scientology (Shit storm)
  37. LRonAnon Member

If you spent time and MONEY to produce a video; ie: gas money and maybe DV tape to make your movie specifically for YouTube. ... does that qualify as damage?
  38. Anonymous Member

I just went back to your vimeo page, there are certain laws (that I don't fully understand) that talk about public domain. Many items,and I am sure that CoS has thought of this so don't test it if you don't understand it, that where copyrighted prior to 1976 are automatically public domain. I am sure that they have some version or update to these things or remastering project to keep their beloved copyrights but is something else I am looking into.
  39. Anonymous Member

The thing with Vimeo is that they only want things that you made yourself, so they don't allow fair use, but I don't know what they think about Public Domain materials. But if Ron Savelo sent in a DMCA notice to Vimeo, then he's liable for that too.

I don't know. But at the very least you can charge him with the reasonable costs you had to re-instate the video. Maybe you can also charge him for alternative distribution methods, such as you sending a DVD of Shawn Lonsdale's videos to every chiropractor in Florida. Heh. Talk to your lawyer about this. The costs of your damages need to be reasonable, but Savelo may have to pay tripple damages because he's not just acting illegally but with malice.
  40. LilDebbie Member

GUYS - THE SOLUTION HERE IS SIMPLE. SOMEONE WHO HAS HAD THEIR VIDS TAKEN DOWN NEEDS TO FILE A COUNTER-CLAIM.

WITH THE CLAIM, THEY SHOULD DEMAND A COPY OF THE ORIGINAL CLAIM FILED BY RONNY BOY. YOU'LL WANT TO INCLUDE THE WORDS "SUBPOENA" AND "YOUTUBE'S LIABILITY" WHEN MAKING THAT DEMAND. IF YOUTUBE REFUSES TO DIVULGE THE CLAIM, INFORM THESE GUYS AND ALSO A LAWYER WHO LIKES MONEY, SPECIFICALLY GOOGLE'S MONEY.

ONCE YOU HAVE HIS CLAIM, SUBMIT COPIES OF IT, YOUR COUNTER CLAIM, AND THE CONTENT IN QUESTION TO THESE GUYS. YES, YOU WILL BE NAME-FAGGED. CALL/EMAIL BACK A WEEK LATER AND ASK FOR THE AGENT ASSIGNED TO YOUR CASE. IF THERE IS NONE, GET YOUR CASE # AND CALL AND BITCH OUT YOUR CONGRESS CRITTERS. REPEAT EVERY WEEK UNTIL AGENT IS ASSIGNED.

THE ONLY REASON THEY CONTINUE TO GET AWAY WITH THIS IS BECAUSE THEY TARGET PEOPLE THEY ARE CONFIDENT WILL NOT FIGHT BACK. IF YOU DON'T FIGHT BACK AND WAIT AROUND LIKE A NEWFAG FOR SOMEONE TO FIGHT FOR YOU, YOU WILL BE ETERNALLY FUCKED. I KNOW IT SEEMS SCARY AND COMPLICATED BUT IT'S REALLY A SIMPLE MATTER OF WRITING LETTERS, MAKING PHONE CALLS, AND LOTS AND LOTS OF BITCHING.