Customize

Ron Savelo DMCA

Discussion in 'Youtube and Vimeo Problems' started by A.Non Hubbard, Feb 27, 2009.

1. 33755 Member

Re: Ron Savelo DMCA

Hey, do you want me to go knock on the dork's door and deliver a message for you? He doesn't live far from me.
  2. A.Non Hubbard Member

I cannot condone such activities so do whatever your heart tells you :)
  3. pardmepard Member

I call this Crapitalism.

I also could have swore the one vid of him attacking Shawn was longer, where he came back and it looked like he had a cup of liquid and threw it at Shawn as he went by ?
  4. A.Non Hubbard Member

O HAI

cc: eva@eff.org
  5. Re: Ron Savelo DMCA

Don't ever give up fighting youtube even when they keep taking it down. Youtube is more popular than vimeo and they're trying to drive your videos off the site so not as many people can see them.
  6. subgenius Member

I can't even find the place on youtube where I can complain about a take-down (for "inappropriate content")....thought I saw a link here, but me no find now....don't yell at me, its early and the Vistaril has worn off....
  7. Anonypeg Member

Nothing seems to have come out of it after people tried to contact YouTube via the link, but here you go:

Contact Us - YouTube Help

Specifically for videos that have been taken down due to Terms of Use violation (inappropriate content falls into that category).
  8. subgenius Member

thx
  9. A.Non Hubbard Member

I received a response from the EFF. I'm going to keep it between them and I for the time being.

Perjury is a serious crime, Mr. Savelo. You're going to realize this soon.
  10. Anonymous Member

Guys, there is only one thing that will ever catch YouTube's attention. Bear with me, because this very well could be a very massive campaign proportional to Chanology itself.

We must threaten legal action against YouTube for abridging the First Amendment.

Step One:
    We need to get a namefag, one who is very well-known among YouTube's userbase. Someone who is willing to represent YouTube's userbase as a whole, and can be the face of this movement, which will henceforth be known as Operation Freenet.

Step Two:
    Easy. Get Graham, or maybe another Anon lawyer willing to do this pro-bono.

Step Three:
    Gain a massive list with the usernames (NO REAL NAMES) of YouTube users to sign as co-plaintiffs, even if it is unofficial.

Step Four:
    Threaten YouTube that if they refuse to change their DMCA system so that it is much more difficult to abuse and/or refuse to stop kow-towing to the DMCA requests of companies that either do not exist or have a history of abusing the system, they will be facing a class-action lawsuit for blatant first amendment violations stemming from corporate bias.

Even if we don't follow through on this, apparently YouTube pussies out when threaten with a legal action. Even if all we can do is make it look official, that could be all it takes to win.

... Or, you know, sick the EFF on Ron Savelo.
  11. Herro Member

Consider me titillated :)

No. Just no. Youtube owns the servers on which those videos are hosted. They don't have to put anything on there that they don't want to. If they want to take your videos down, tough shit. All you can do is convince them to put the videos back up.
  12. Anonymous Member

so the Scifags can sue them but we can't?
    that's fucking bullshit.
  13. Herro Member

Facepalm. The CoS can sue them for allowing the hosting of copyrighted materials. This is where the abuse of the DMCA comes in. If you think youtube is allowing people to host materials to which you hold the copyright, you can sue them. But you cannot sue them for some sort of 1st Amendment violation because they aren't violating your right to free speech. They don't have to host your videos on their website.
  14. Spangly Member

There's no legal right to force someone to distribute your content for you.

There would be a "first amendment" / "freedom of speech" issue here if Youtube were somehow able to prevent you from putting your video up everywhere (including hosting it yourself by, *gasp*, paying for web hosting).

btw, if you do want to pay for web hosting, NearlyFreeSpeech.Net are fucking awesome. (However, note that they are also a USA-based company, therefore will still have to obey DMCA takedowns. Recommendations for Really Good non-US hosting are always welcome.)
  15. Re: Ron Savelo DMCA

Isn't there a bulletproof video streaming site in some country somewhere that doesn't give a crap about copyright?
  16. Anonynamefag Member

Rutube, I believe. The Scilons are apparently having shitty luck bullying the Russians.

Unrealistic thinking, but it'd be fucking epic if we can buy a server in some shithole country where the Scilons would get shot for trying their legal bullshit there.
  17. Herro Member

Kazakhstan perhaps?
  18. another123 Member

rutube.ru is halfway decent for storing videos, but the language thing gets some getting used too.
    Another is friends club in Latvia. Kinda like a myspace, AND google indexes it. It's in english, but I hang around on it to long, crashes my browser.
    BTW, both can act as servers to embed on blogs & websites.

This is WHY...
    We Can't Have NICE THINGS, and MORE THINGS, and MOAR, and so on and so forth. You get the idea.
  19. Anonymous Member

/facepalm

What you REALLY need to do is take a class in constitutional law.

The first amendment applies to CONGRESS (and through case law, other government agencies that regulate your activities). The first amendment DOES NOT apply to fucking YouTube. They're a company, not an arm of the legislative branch of government. They have every right to whack your videos, for any reason whatsoever -- with no explaination and no recourse open to you. Go read your YouTube terms of service.

YouTube has no obligation, whatsoever, to ensure your freedom of speech.

If you want to get your pants in a knot and fight this, you've got two options:

1. Apply pressure on YouTube as a customer. Write them an email saying why you're leaving their service and not coming back. Tell them that their DMCA compliance system is broken and that it makes your experience there unacceptable. Your griping, by itself, won't accomplish much... but if enough people walk away from their service, they *might* begin to care.

2. Drop your anonymity, and go after the asshats that are filing false DMCA claims that are taking down your videos. Every time they file a false claim, they're committing perjury. Your fight isn't with YouTube... your fight is with the person filing the false takedowns. Good luck finding a court that gives a shit though. Your best bet is to gang up with other people who have been wronged, and then seek the help of outfits like the EFF or ACLU to go after abusers.
  20. 0815 Member

Don't you get it: JewTube is a private place and they don't care about freedom of speech. I have been talking to a couple of lawyers about this and they don't see a way for us to force JewTube to post anything on their property. They just hang out the old "We reserve the right to refuse service to anybody" and that is it.

Public opinion is different and the battle will be in the streets, not in the courts.
  21. Herro Member

It's still an issue of free speech. If the state can tell youtube that they have to host your video, then the state now has the authority to tell people what they can and can't host on their own servers. Kind of a grave threat to free speech. It would be like the scilons demand that their propaganda videos be hosted here and then the federal government forcing WWP to comply.
  22. LilDebbie Member

it's not the state telling them what they can host on their servers, you dumb motherfucker. stick to arguing whatever bunta legal system they have in buntaland.
  23. Herro Member

Oh yeah? Then what is it? Please enlighten me.
  24. Anonymous Member

[IMG]
  25. Ogsonofgroo Member

Remember, "Your brain is just a shock absorber." Savelo, is a lying, nasty piece of work desperately trying to keep the money flowing into the coffers of Co$ and his own pocket.
    YT touts free speech (within their perameters as per their TOS) but a fair bit of their system is automated (like flagging etc.) and has been abused before by scilon baaawings. Savelo is not above using typical bullchite tactics through proxy etc., expect this sort of turdulation from 'The most ethical people on the planet.'
    We know, and staff at YT I think are starting to figure it out imho as they have indeed re-instated quite a few vids and accounts that have been fairgamed by scilon/troll activity. I think it is important for peeps not to just walk away and give up when their accounts get thrashed by these desperate mofos.
    My opinion on a fine sunny day :) (yay! above zero!)
  26. Anonypeg Member

This is getting to be a serious issue.
    When the Message to Scientology vid went down, anger fueled mass harpoonage to Youtube to get it back.
    If anyone agrees to harpooning, I will join in. I believe there's a list of email addresses YouTube tries to keep secret from us. Without a proper customer service department, their actions seem to be depend only on outrage of users.
  27. Ramona Member

Interestingly, this morning I learn that Savelo has DMCA'd eleven of my videos on YouTube, NONE of which included "his" imagery, and several that had ONLY Hubbard audio, and a plain image of the "Big Dipper," with the reference information for the audio written on the image.

I still have 25 similar videos up there, which may mean that he just got tired, and will resume later.

The Scilons apparently still do not know my identity, but I am tempted to "out" myself in order turn this into a problem for Ron.

He has had two of my YouTube accounts shut down, and one of those times was also sans any Axiom 10 content. Hence, his article on ED.

Have there been any whispers of combining forces, i.e. Ron's "victims" filing a massive counter-DMCA? Perhaps we could go in ($) on an attorney to serve as the named counter-DMCA-filer? EFF previously advised me to file counter-DMCAs, but they didn't want to "take the case."
  28. Anonymous Member

Ron Savelo recently DMCA'd the video in the "Meet a Scientologist" series as well (the one with Pat Harney) quite recently as well, even though none of the content belonged to him.
    He is starting to become a really serious problem.
  29. The Shadow Member

I'll tell you one thing, as soon as The Shadow gets outed, I'm going to be a force to be reckoned with on the YouTube front, counter-claims FTW
  30. Anonymous Member

31. Anonymous Member

32. Anonynamefag Member

Guys, Ron Savelo has gone too far. I say it's time we gave him the same treatment we gave Ollie when he DMCA'd our shit.

I'll be damned if we allow this bullshit to happen to us twice. I say we raid Ron, this Saturday, 8:08 P.M.

They've pissed in our playground once. No fucking way will it happen again.
  33. Anonymous Member

I second that emotion.

34. Snake Member

It's only youtube videos you can just re-upload! Stop bawwing it about it.
  35. Anonymous Member

No, you can't re-upload. YouTube's content recognition system makes the re-upload fail automatically. Plus whole accounts get removed with just a few fraudulent DMCA claims. The fraudulent DMCA calims are also criminal acts of perjury and creates civil liability under the DMCA.
  36. Anonymous Member

Actually that is where you are mistaken. Once a DMCA has been filed on a video, YouTube has a video-recognition system which will detect the video again and prevent re-upload. Even after editing the video again, a second DMCA claimed will suspend the account.

Case in point: it takes less time for them to file a DMCA claim and more time for us to significantly change the video for upload. Would also like to add that maybe the video has accumulated a significant number of hits (like the Church0fScientology Message to Scientology video). This is a blatant abuse of the system, and Ron is doing what Ollie failed to do.
  37. LilDebbie Member

can someone FOIA the takedown request? if we have the actual d0x, we might be able to get the FBI's computer fraud division to do their effing job and throw this asshole into levenworth where he belongs.
  38. Snake Member

Faggots who replied to my post = Trolled.
  39. Anonymous Member

AWESOME trolling, Snake.

40. Anonymous Member

2rvzbsy.jpg.png