Customize

Riots in Ferguson, Missouri after police shoot Michael Brown

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by The Wrong Guy, Aug 10, 2014.

1. meep meep Member

could you summarize and post links becuz this is tl;dr
  2. meep meep Member

Ron Johnson steps away from the mic because the crowd couldn't hear him, asks them to come closer and doesn't continue until the mics are changed so the crowd can hear him, not the cameras,
  3. Retweeted by Anonymous
    [IMG] Anonymous Operations @YourAnonCentral · 5h
    You people forget that the FBI has us on lockdown here in the US, which is why we can't trust people like @TheAnonMessage | @TheAnonMessage2

[IMG] Anonymous @Crypt0nymous · 17h
    Maybe @TheAnonMessage/@TheAnonMessage2 isn't ashamed, but I am. So, Kathie Warnack I am sorry for the shit he has done. Sorry.

And this ASSHOLE!

[IMG] CNs @ihazcandy · 8h
    more attacked the US Marines than the #Ferguson PD. careful who you associate with. #Anonymous is a terrorist organization.

https://twitter.com/TheAnonMessage and https://twitter.com/TheAnonMessage2 @ihazcandy

Were, and are now on our shitlist / Hitlist
  4. The Wrong Guy Member

Police allege Michael Brown was involved in robbery before shooting | MSNBC

Excerpt:

The report released Friday does not appear to shed light on the details of Brown’s death, and it is unclear how the officer could have been certain of Brown’s involvement in the robbery earlier that morning.

In an interview with msnbc shortly after the report was released, Johnson’s lawyer confirmed that Brown had taken cigars from the store.

“We see that there’s tape, that they claim they got a tape that shows there was some sort of strong-armed robbery,” said Freeman Bosley, Johnson’s attorney. “We need to see that tape, my client did tell us and told the FBI that they went into the store. He told FBI that he did take cigarillos, he told that to the DOJ and the St. Louis County Police.”

In an interview earlier this week, Johnson described the events of the shooting but did not mention that he and Brown had been in a convenience store just before, or that Brown had stolen anything.

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/ferguson-police-name-michael-brown

To download a PDF file of the police report that was released today:

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/MSNBC/Sections/NEWS/Ferguson.pdf
    • Like Like x 1
  5. eddieVroom Member

Stealing cigars is not a death penalty offense. Execution in the street is not due process.

I'd be pissed off if I'd been robbed like that, but I'd remain mindful of these two facts -- and the responding officers ought to be emotionally detached from the incident, and trained to act as such. I count a few cops and a judge amongst my family and extended family. We've always had an unspoken understanding in my family that if one is to be a proponent and guardian of human civilization, one must first *be* civilized.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 2
  7. The Internet Member

I don’t think anyone disagrees with this. People in government will abuse their authority without systems of checks and balances and everybody keeping an eye on what is happening. This happens because people are human and prone to be self-serving. They do not like being wrong and some will double-down and go into attack mode if they feel criticized. Just human nature.

There are social networks on the political left and right that use boring “power corrupts” type sayings to reinforce a more extreme anti-state position. The Millers in Las Vegas and the Bundy family are two recent examples that come to mind. Used to be I could ignore these people. But they seem to be gaining ground in the US and I am worried about that.

We do not want the cops to have an “us vs. them” mindset. Likewise, we should not have an “us vs. them” mindset toward the cops or other people working for the government. So Imma pipe up sometimes when people are “fuck the police” or “fight the state” or the like, because I do not want those stupid Koch brother tea party patriot libertarian faggots to unravel our civil infrastructure. Cuz when the state messes up, I can say, “Hey what gives.” But once I’m living in Kochtown with its private security force on the streets, rich people will tell me to fuck off and that will be that.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. The Wrong Guy Member

9. The Wrong Guy Member

Statement from the Family of Michael Brown's & Their Attorneys | KMOV St. Louis

On Friday afternoon, Michael Brown's family and their attorney released the following statement:

"Michael Brown’s family is beyond outraged at the devious way the police chief has chosen to disseminate piece mil information in a manner intended to assassinate the character of their son, following such a brutal assassination of his person in broad daylight.

There is nothing based on the facts that have been placed before us that can justify the execution style murder of their child by this police officer as he held his hands up, which is the universal sign of surrender.

The prolonged release of the officer’s name and then the subsequent alleged information regarding a robbery is the reason why the family and the local community have such distrust for the local law enforcement agencies.

Continued at http://www.kmov.com/special-coverag...chael-Browns---Their-Attorneys-271419651.html
    • Like Like x 1
  10. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 2
  11. fishypants Moderator

And part of that is the right to peaceful protest. We're not talking about "one bad apple" here, in local law enforcement. It's not just the original incident, it's the paramilitary response to the protests too.

Normally I'd agree with you, but I think in this case that the black residents of that town are justified in feeling that way.

When the police come and use chemical weapons on you in your front garden, something is wrong with the system. Something does need changing. Specifically in this case I'd point at:

- institutional racism as well as overtly racist individual officers

- bullying attitude of the police force towards the public

- militarization of the police force

and those are matters of political policy, not just individual "the system is basically fine but we have a few local implementation problems" things.

If the police - in that area - have set themselves up as the enemies of the citizens they're meant to be protecting, then I think those citizens are entitled to get all "fuck the police" and shit. Word.

Well, this guy seems to have been shot for not obeying the order "get the fuck on the sidewalk", so I'm not sure I see a big difference between that and what you're describing.

I think we can agree that the Koch-style "smash the whole system" people are kind of silly. But that doesn't mean that the system doesn't need to change from how it is now. I think basically we agree! :)
  12. The Internet Member

Wat?

I can understand the family saying, “the convenience store incident does not change the fact that an unarmed teen was shot dead by an officer who had no reason to use deadly force.” But getting mad about the police releasing the convenience store info is kinda always attack never defendy.
  13. fishypants Moderator

Unless there's some evidence that MB actually was involved in the robbery, the only thing he's guilty of is being black in a public place.

So I'm with the family on this one, in viewing it as a smear. Unless, as I say, he actually was involved. If he wasn't then it's purely gratuitous.
  14. The Internet Member

Yes, the way the cops handled the people in the streets was wrong, particularly the bit I saw in that video RavenEyes shared.

The part I want to be cautious about: using this particular situation, which I do not yet understand, to talk in a very general way about the militarization of police in the US. Sure, that is a fine conversation to have. But I get confused when too many broad general conversations go on before I understand the details of a particular incident.

SWAT teams have been around forever and they probably have something similar in the UK. Those are the militarized police tasked to deal with hostage situations, gang warfare, and maybe disasters where many people must be coordinated by a central command structure. I don’ t know how things work, but I imagine the chief of police phones somebody to get the SWAT guys on standby, then there is some effort to figure out the status of the volatile situation, then somebody says, “go” and the SWAT people run the game from that point forward.

Even so, from watching LA Law I know the SWAT guys have a Mr. Nice Guy dude for talking down really angry mofos. They send that guy out to find out what Mr. Mofo is thinking and feeling, offer him a sammich, etc. I did not see anything like that in RavenEyes video.

I used to think they were “silly.” But I am starting to think they have a Marblecake that is way smarter than most of us.
  15. The Internet Member

The officer who investigated the convenience store incident saw the body and said it was the same guy in his report. If he’s wrong, well that is a bad look.
  16. The Wrong Guy Member

17. rof Member

piece mil?

pee smell?

also:

http://pastebin.com/Hi1vdFVL
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Sekee Member

Russell Brand has posted a video to youtube in his ongoing critique of Fox news’s piss poor reporting.
  19. The Internet Member

Okay I will think about it. I will ask myself what I like about Anonymous... because I mostly like Anonymous and I think the parting words should capture the essence of that.

Maybe it is my hunger to cut through all the bullshit coming at me every day, to just hear something real for a change, that attracts me to the idea of Anonymous. But how to make words for dis...

I guess I will think about what I mean by “bullshit.”

This process will probably take a while because I am not a writer and Imma slow. So anybody with better ideas, feel free.
    • Like Like x 2
  20. The Internet Member

This is the kind of thing that smells like bs to my nose. But I dunno why.

Maybe “protecting the protesters” seems like movie magic rather than real life. Also, “honestly."

Also, “those guys over there suck but you guys rock!” as in the county cops = bad while highway patrol and city cops = good. From experience I have learned to be scared of people who talk like this.
    • Like Like x 1
  21. eddieVroom Member

22. The Wrong Guy Member

Victor Blackwell CNN @VictorCNN · 6h
    Heading to Ferguson

Victor Blackwell CNN @VictorCNN · 2h
    5 officers inside #Ferguson market - 3 outside. Owner has called attorney. Attorney says he'll make statement soon.

BvGs7MxCIAErn_I.jpg:large.jpg

#ferguson market - boarded up. Owner says it's a precaution after the QT fire 'just to be safe'

BvGtZidIYAAPx8X.jpg:large.jpg

Customer says to #Ferguson Market worker 'it'll be okay (and uses worker's name)'. worker responds: 'shh, you're saying too much!'

#Ferguson Market's atty Jay Kanzler asks media to 'give them space. They're trying to do business'

BvGvVkQIcAACWVB.jpg:large.jpg

#Ferguson Market's atty says he'll speak when 'the police are done.' No time line given.

When I asked a #Ferguson Market worker why the police were here - he shrugged and said ' they must have needed something from the store.'

Victor Blackwell CNN @VictorCNN · 1h
    Missouri State Highway Patrol Captain Johnson has just arrived at #Ferguson Market with 7 additional troopers.

BvG4rEqIIAAPZQW.jpg:large.jpg

Victor Blackwell CNN @VictorCNN · 2m
    #Ferguson Market attorney: store owners did not call police on 8/9. The call was made by a customer.

BvHH5HtIIAI49aO.jpg:large.jpg

Victor Blackwell CNN @VictorCNN · 4s
    Missouri State Highway Patrol Captain Johnson and local man discuss express displeasure, disappointment and goals in stern conv.

BvHIswjIEAEWC0m.jpg:large.jpg

Victor Blackwell CNN @VictorCNN · 1m
    #ferguson market atty: hard drives of store's surveillance system have been subpoenaed by county authorities.
    • Like Like x 1
  23. meep meep Member

24. 406

25. meep meep Member

No it doesn't. He failed to mention that the officer didn't know about it.
  26. 888

Yes it does.
  27. meep meep Member

28. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 3
  29. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 1
  30. The Wrong Guy Member

Understanding hacker collective Anonymous and Operation Ferguson

By Andrea Peterson, The Washington Post

As tensions flared in a St. Louis suburb after the shooting of an unarmed black teenager, Michael Brown, by a police officer, hacker collective Anonymous stepped in. The group shared information online about the situation, and some attempted to identify the then-unknown shooter in the case. But while the group got some things right, it got others wrong — including the alleged name of the shooter, now identified by police as Officer Darren Wilson.

On Thursday, The Washington Post spoke to Gabriella Coleman, professor at McGill University in Montreal and perhaps the researcher most plugged in to the Anonymous community, about the different tactics at play in ‘‘OpFerguson.’’ Coleman’s book on the hacker group, ‘‘Hacker, Hoaxer, Whistleblower, Spy: The Many Faces of Anonymous,’’ is due out this fall. Excerpts:

Continued at http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/nat...on-ferguson/6gygWrRbYNJ4LNpAT4i5jN/story.html
    • Like Like x 2

31. Mr. Brown, portrayed himself to be incredibly inadequate in his moral and ethical behavior in his very actions within the store, and of his reprehensible response and lack of respect for the store owner. And i think we can all agree on that. But it really does become a moot point, when confronted with the very real and undeniable truth, that he was an unarmed civilian shot down in his prime, in an overly zealous and viciously callous manner, by a member of a law enforcement agency, who didn't follow protocols and procedure, and thus causing such a shitstorm, that it will go down in the annals of history as being one of the most horrendous law enforcement clusterfucks of the century.
  32. The Wrong Guy Member

Ron Johnson Addresses Ferguson Police Officers' Failure To Identify Themselves

The Huffington Post's Ryan J. Reilly, one of the reporters arrested in Ferguson on Wednesday, spoke with Missouri State Highway Patrol Capt. Ron Johnson Friday and asked why members of the St. Louis County police refused to wear name tags or identify themselves when approached by reporters and members of the public.

"What happened is, some people are taking their names and going on the Internet and getting their identities and social security numbers, and so that's been occurring," Johnson said.

"I can't set rules for another police department," Johnson added, telling Reilly the Ferguson police chief would have to address the identification issues. Johnson also noted Missouri State Highway Patrol officers have removed their name tags "for their safety and security, but if you ask them their name they've been told to tell you."

When Reilly and The Washington Post's Wesley Lowery were arrested on Wednesday, Reilly asked for the name of the officer taking him into custody. The officer did not respond to Reilly's repeated requests for his name or other identification.

Reilly tweeted Ferguson cops still weren't wearing name tags on Friday and still refused to answer questions about their identification.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/15/ferguson-police-identities_n_5682645.html
    • Like Like x 2
  33. The Wrong Guy Member

Andrew Peng@TheAPJournalist 1m
    #BREAKING: Police ordering demonstrators to "disperse immediately." Crowd has their hands up, walking towards the officers. #Ferguson

Anonymous Operations@YourAnonGlobal 1m
    Police in riot gear about to confront protestors #Ferguson

Marc Andreessen@pmarca 1m
    Brave reporters & citizens in Ferguson right now: @BmoreConetta @michaelcalhoun @blackink12 @alicesperi @phampel @ryanjreilly @Yamiche

Andrew Peng@TheAPJournalist 5s
    Police are continuing to order the crowd to disperse. Protesters standing their ground. #Ferguson
    • Like Like x 1
  34. RavenEyes Member

b8a8G1lk_normal.jpeg Antonio French @AntonioFrench · 14m
    Still some rowdiness among some. This is the time for adults to help redirect that energy. Thankful for the brothers from the NOI here.
    • Like Like x 1
  35. The Internet Member

OMG!
  36. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 2