Customize

Riots in Ferguson, Missouri after police shoot Michael Brown

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by The Wrong Guy, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Disambiguation Global Moderator

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/13/michael-brown-shooting_n_5675660.html
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Rockyj Member

3. Disambiguation Global Moderator

Surly they have secured the officer by now.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. The Internet Member

I do not think the Bundy Ranch situation out in the Nevada desert is a fair comparison to downtown Ferguson where there are stores and storefront windows and bricks and potentially looters.
    • Like Like x 4
  5. The Internet Member

Of course the rule must be: torture is wrong.

However, life is sometimes weird and messy and it may be permissible for a person to break a serious rule to avoid something even worse.

For torture, the typical hypothetical is a ticking time bomb in a school. You have the smug bomber in a chair in front of you and he’s telling you that you will never find the bomb in time because he is so smart. As you interview him, you realize that a little scary scary menacing stuff will likely convince him to spill the beans. You have about 20 minutes to save a few hundred children if you smack that suckah hard across the face a few times. Otherwise the school goes boom.

Personally, if I were on the jury in a case against the person who used a little torture to save the kids, I would let him off the hook.

Point is, we should not change the rule against torture just because there might be rare situations where we would accept a little torture. That stuff must be reviewed case by case without the protection of any rule.
  6. cuedude Member

Katherine bell and my mom
  7. Disambiguation Global Moderator

• Like Like x 1
  8. Disambiguation Global Moderator

9. The Wrong Guy Member

Seems like the demonstrations nationwide are all peaceful, but the NYPD just couldn't pass up on another opportunity to show the world how great they are at acting like total assholes.

Here's one good source for what's been happening there: https://twitter.com/MrBillBuster
    • Like Like x 2
  10. RavenEyes Member

The name of the Ferguson police officer who shot Michael Brown will be released tomorrow (Friday).
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Rockyj Member

Personally I believe your response is fucken nuts, however, I really don't want to argue about my statement as this thread was created for a young black teenager named, Michael Brown, who is now dead. I don't agree starting the thread with the word "RIOT", as in Occupy protests there's always troublemakers trying to defeat the cause or have their own agenda! Back to Michael Brown; several witnesses claim he was shot in his back and turned around after being SHOT & with his hands up, showing the policeman who SHOT him that he surrenders & basically was begging the officer to NOT SHOOT him again! It appears the officer SHOT this UNARMED teenager down until he was dead!

AGAIN! WE CAN NOT CLAIM WE ARE CIVILIZED HUMAN BEINGS AS LONG AS WE BELIEVE ITS OKAY TO TORTURE OR KILL OTHER HUMAN BEINGS!
  12. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 4
  13. The Internet Member

Yes I think the police would do that if worries of riots and vigilante justice, until things simmered down.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  14. Zarathustra Member

This is so horribly depressing...
  15. Rockyj Member

OMG I missed this post & would never have responded to you if I saw it earlier. My normal reaction is that you're one SICK MO-FO!
    • Like Like x 1
  16. The Internet Member

Will you teach me about civilization?

t4W6wdn.jpg
  17. builder30 Member

Report from Ferguson. Local police have been removed from duty. No riot police on scene after outrage of militant style tactics. State police took over actually walking with protestors. Due to the network breach in multiple police agencies. The name of the officer that killed Mike Brown will be released tomorrow per request of Anonymous. The St. Louis County police network it's still non functional as protests continue. The streets of Ferguson belong to the people. For the first night since the protests began.
  18. Disambiguation Global Moderator

This problem is a repeater. This time the government in MO understood that militarized police rolling thru the neighborhood in army trucks was not the kind of LE that they wanted in MO. We have learned something. In MO.
    NYC still can't understand this. We need the Iraqi vet to come back.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Rockyj Member

I love you for this reminder my little BLACK kitty friend! :rolleyes:
  20. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 3
  21. Disambiguation Global Moderator

Does vandalism by a few mean there is no validity for the protest? Breaking windows and breaking into stores doesn't require a military response. There is good reason for people to be out in the streets speaking their disapproval of the murder of a young man. If they don't go out into the street and protest, the murder goes un examined. People protesting in the streets=democracy even if there is some crime.
    • Like Like x 2
  22. The Internet Member

When an angry mob gathers and there is already a little looting, people are going to worry about riots which in the past have sometimes been devastating. So the cops will prepare for the worst, just in case. That does not mean it is okay for the cops to flip out and start firing tear gas into people’s back yards like happened.

Angry mobs are pretty much the opposite of due process and democracy. Democracy requires a community that restrains its passions in service to the rule of law, even if they do not like the outcome they eventually get.

If you bring an angry mob to the street where I live, Imma call the cops and I will donate to their Fallen Officer Fund if they make you go away quickly and without too much trouble. Loud noises upset the fish, the birds, the turtles, and my two cats.
    • Like Like x 2
  23. Disambiguation Global Moderator

Democracy requires citizens brave enough to challenge the inevitable repression of the state.
    • Like Like x 3
  24. Disambiguation Global Moderator

25. Disambiguation Global Moderator

26. Disambiguation Global Moderator

27. Disambiguation Global Moderator

lol edits work and they help people.
  28. White Tara Global Moderator

'Plink' delete works and it helps people :)
  29. Disambiguation Global Moderator

Pink as in Pink?
    • Like Like x 2
  30. RavenEyes Member

LOLOLOLOLOL

Yeah, no. Anonymous had nothing to do with that.
    • Like Like x 2
  31. The Wrong Guy Member

ACLU lawsuit wants “Freedom of the Press” defined after Ferguson demonstrations

As the national media make their way to St. Louis, those telling the stories are becoming part of them. Washington Post reporter Wesley Lowery and Huffington Post reporter Ryan J. Reilly were arrested by police last night and soon released with no charges.

“The police are instructing protestors and the media to turn off their video cameras, to turn off their cell phones to stop recording. That is absolutely improper. We as the public and of course the media have a right to and must document encounters that occur.” said Executive Director ACLU Missouri Jeffrey Mittman.

The ACLU Missouri filed their second lawsuit in St. Louis County Civil Court. The first asks for the Michael Brown arrest be made public record. The second suit is asking a judge to offer a ruling that makes it media coverage clear.

Continued at http://fox2now.com/2014/08/14/aclu-...-press-defined-after-ferguson-demonstrations/
    • Like Like x 3
  32. The Internet Member

Just remember that the state is what we use to uphold due process and when due process is weak the biggest asshole wins.

If I were a big asshole like the Kochs or Vladimir Putin or the Muslim Brotherhood, I would agitate Americans to fight the power of the state so I could steal its stuff. Also, to keep it from getting in my way.
    • Like Like x 1
  33. Disambiguation Global Moderator

• Like Like x 1
  34. 457

[IMG]
    FERGUSON, MO - AUGUST 14: Capt. Ronald Johnson of the Missouri State Highway Patrol, who was appointed by the governor to take control of security operations in the city of Ferguson, walks among demonstrators gathered along West Florissant Avenue on August 14, 2014 in Ferguson, Missouri. Violent protests have erupted along West Florissant in Ferguson each of the last four nights as demonstrators express outrage over the shooting death of Michael Brown by a Ferguson police officer on August 9.The governor appointed Johnson after receiving numerous complaints about the excessive show and use of force by the police against protestors and the news media covering the demonstrations. Senator Claire McCaskill (D-MO) today called for the demilitarization of the police. (Photo by Scott Olson/Getty Images)
    Copyright © 2014 Getty Images. All rights reserved.
  35. Disambiguation Global Moderator

• Like Like x 1
  36. The Internet Member

This Anonymous message is much better than the self important righteous one posted earlier in this thread. By that guy, whatever his name was, Mr. Extortion and Intimidation.

I notice I’m getting sick of the closing tag line:

We are Anonymous
    We are Legion
    We do not forgive
    We do not forget
    Expect us.

But I don’t have anything better to offer.

The reason Imma sick of it is, noobs take it way too serious. They think that forgiveness is somehow “not being a real Anonymous.” Argh.

We like to say that the Internet does not forgive or forget, especially after a politician or Scientologist or pedo or other dodgy character has deleted an incriminating web page that we later find in the Wayback machine or Google cache or some mirror someplace. Ergo Anonymous, a personification of The Internet, likewise does not forgive or forget.

But is joke, not real life. Is funny joke except for all the faggots that do not seem to get it. I guess I am sick of those guys mostly. The Do as I say or Else guys.
    • Like Like x 3
  37. Disambiguation Global Moderator

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...hugs-and-kisses-replace-tear-gas-in-ferguson/
  38. RavenEyes Member

Actually, what likely initially agitated Americans was the fact that an unarmed youth was walking home and was gunned down by a cop whobasically unloaded a clip into him in broad daylight, even though his hands were raised and he was trying to get down on the ground, with (per witnesses) at least two bullets already in his body, begging the officer to stop shooting. I don't think Putin was anywhere near Ferguson, but I am not an expert in international foreign relations so I could be wrong.
  39. rof Member

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  40. The Internet Member

I was not talking about that though. I was talking about Dis’ general statement that you gotta fight the state that will inevitably oppress you. Maybe so, but other oppressors are standing by.

When a real oppression happens, like a cop losing his shit for some reason and killing an innocent person, then a whole bunch of people with other agendas will join in the fun. Like “militarized police” and “Palestine” and “Racism” and “Police state” and “Nazis” and “FEMA camps” and “New World Order” and the like. The memes hijacking us. It happens.

Personally, I am not ready to use that officer who shot the boy as “the state.” Maybe he is something the state will say, “no wants.”

Oh I know what it was: Alex Jones. I think The Wrong Guy invited him into this thread. Alex Jones repeats some of those anti-US Federal government memes that you get from Koch and Putin funded places.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1