Customize

Riots in Ferguson, Missouri after police shoot Michael Brown

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by The Wrong Guy, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Anonymous Member

All that I can manage is a PNG of the PDF:

For Kilia.png
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Kilia Member

Thank you so much, Night Owl. Much appreciated. :)
    • Like Like x 1
  3. The Wrong Guy Member

Capt. Johnson asks for protesters in Ferguson to stand up for peace after violent night | St. Louis Post-Dispatch

After a night in Ferguson that again turned violent after weeks of relative calm, the Missouri Highway Patrol captain in charge of security in the area called on peaceful protesters to take a more active role.

"Today I am asking the many coalitions who stated they were for peace to stand publicly," Capt. Ronald S. Johnson said at a press conference Wednesday morning. "I ask those political leaders who have stood in Ferguson and watched the behaviors of unpeaceful protesters to stand."

The press conference followed a night where some protesters turned violent. Windows were smashed at one shop and protesters attempted to loot it, Johnson said. A fire was believed set at another business. Rocks and bricks were thrown at police at one point, and two officers were injured, Johnson said. A rock hit one officer just centimeters below his eye.

Shots were fired near officers, including Johnson, who said he saw the muzzle flash near the weapon. No one was reported shot.

Four adults and one juvenile were arrested overnight, he said. They were accused of assault, inciting a riot or failure to disperse.

"We cannot have nights like last night," Johnson said Wednesday, flanked by other law enforcement leaders at a press conference in Weldon Spring. "We can't have actions like last night that can result in injury or death. Those will not be tolerated."

It's not clear what sparked the more violent protest after several weeks of relatively calmer gatherings. A fire on Tuesday morning destroyed one of two memorials to Michael Brown on Canfield Drive, near the site where he was shot on Aug. 9 by Ferguson Police Officer Darren Wilson. People gathered and rebuilt the memorial Tuesday morning, but many were angry and believed it had been intentionally set by someone.

Tuesday night, windows were smashed at Beauty Town, on West Florissant Avenue not far from Canfield Drive, and looters attempted to take the cash register, Johnson said. Protesters gathered shortly afterward, reaching as many as 200 about 10:30 p.m.

Police officials, including Johnson, St. Louis County Police Chief Jon Belmar and St. Louis Police Chief Sam Dotson, went to the scene. The crowd eventually dwindled to about 50 to 75 shortly before midnight. A line of about a dozen police faced the remaining protesters.

Juan Santos, manager of Beauty Town, said this was the third time the store has been broken into since the fatal Aug. 9 fatal shooting of Brown touched off protests and, at times, looting.

Santos said the windows had been replaced just a week ago at a cost of $1,300. He got the boards from the basement and put them back on the newly smashed windows, saying he "will probably leave them up for a while now."

Some Ferguson police in the area were wearing their new body cameras, but some were not. When asked, some said they had been on duty with their cameras on for as much as 20 hours and the batteries had died.

Continued here:
    http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...cle_309231ff-6846-58ca-8ea3-7289c01365c5.html

Wesley Lowery @WesleyLowery · 1m
    Some police in Ferguson last night wore "I am Darren Wilson" bracelets while policing protest. Cpt. Johnson says he'll talk to them about it.

Ferguson protesters vow to target MetroLink during Cardinals playoff games | St. Louis Post-Dispatch

A group of Ferguson protesters are vowing to disrupt MetroLink service during St. Louis Cardinals playoff games.

Eric Vickers, who has led various acts of civil unrest in St. Louis, has sent a letter to Major League Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig asking for the league to pressure St. Louis officials in the unarmed shooting death of Michael Brown.

"They have a role to play," Vickers said. "They are coming into the midst of this controversy. They need to influence the business community."

Vickers said protesters plan to purchase MetroLink tickets and take up all of the available seating on trains running to and from Busch Stadium during any local playoff games.

"They have been completely silent on this," Vickers said. "They are an economic enterprise. They are a business. They are going to make millions of dollars. The business community has to be responsible."

Continued here:
    http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...cle_284d4f6c-999e-5959-9919-acdc97fe7576.html
    • Like Like x 1
  4. The Wrong Guy Member

Shaun King @ShaunKing · 1h
    Before I get started, I particularly want to thank @MusicOverPeople whose bravery and leadership is key to some of what I'm about to say.

Shaun King @ShaunKing · 59m
    Please share these. Just follow me for the next 20 minutes or so and we will also Storify them later. It's a tangled web in Ferguson.

Shaun King @ShaunKing · 58m
    The previous mayor of Ferguson, for two terms, Brian Fletcher, is now in charge of the much covered (white) "I Love Ferguson" movement.

Shaun King @ShaunKing · 55m
    Thinking nobody who would ever call him out was subscribed to his emails, Brian Fletcher told his group something almost hard to believe.

Shaun King @ShaunKing · 55m
    I need you to understand that it was Brian Fletcher, the previous mayor from '03-'11 who helped HIRE most of the current administration.

Shaun King @ShaunKing · 54m
    In an email to his " Love Ferguson" group, Brian Fletcher OPENLY says that he is willing to shoot a gun and make a false report about it.

Shaun King @ShaunKing · 53m
    In his email, Fletcher says that he is willing to go outside and fire his weapon and report an active shooting to get negative media coverage.

Shaun King @ShaunKing · 50m
    Discovered by @MusicOverPeople here's the part where Fletcher openly admits willingness to stage a false shooting.

ByT6EvkIAAAI9lk.png:large.png

Shaun King @ShaunKing · 51m
    Are you tracking with me? The BELOVED former Mayor of Ferguson openly admits he'll stage a false shooting if it advances his cause.

Shaun King @ShaunKing · 50m
    Just yesterday, BOLD AS HELL, @MusicOverPeople called this man out about his injustice to HIS FACE in the townhall and he said NOTHING.

Shaun King @ShaunKing · 49m
    Now, I want to use this ACTIVE INJUSTICE and public openness about staging a false shooting in Ferguson to show you a despicable trend.

Shaun King @ShaunKing · 48m
    In Ohio, a Grand Jury just decided NOT to indict officers who murdered John Crawford based on an admitted false report. Follow me.

Shaun King @ShaunKing · 47m
    Ronald Ritchie, dishonorably discharged from the military, now admits he LIED about John Crawford in the Wal-Mart.
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...y-police-walmart-doubts-cast-witnesss-account

Shaun King @ShaunKing · 46m
    On the recording of his 911 call, Ritchie LIES and says he sees Crawford "oading the gun" and "pointing it at kids".
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...y-police-walmart-doubts-cast-witnesss-account

Shaun King @ShaunKing · 45m
    Police, based on this lone false report from Ronald Ritchie, show up and shoot and kill Crawford while he was chilling on the phone with his lady.

Shaun King @ShaunKing · 44m
    After John Crawford is brutally shot, Ronald Ritchie continues to lie to the 911 operator saying that Crawford is "reaching for his gun".

Shaun King @ShaunKing · 43m
    Refusing to release the video, in essence knowing that it shows a grave injustice and may cause riots, the @OhioAG has been a coward here.

Shaun King @ShaunKing · 41m
    Just stick with me here. I'm bringing it all back to St. Louis County and how this allowed exercise of false reports is LETHAL to us.

Shaun King @ShaunKing · 40m
    A Pasadena man, now admits to lying about kids having guns when his laptop was stolen to get cops to move faster. It worked. Here's how.

Shaun King @ShaunKing · 39m
    Responding to the False Report of black kids with guns, Pasadena police found college student Kendrec McDade.

Shaun King @ShaunKing · 38m
    Kendrec McDade was an all-state football player and BELOVED by his family, classmates, neighbors.

Shaun King @ShaunKing · 37m
    Believing the false report, the police found a random black kid (who did not steal the laptop) and FILED THEIR OWN FALSE REPORT.

Shaun King @ShaunKing · 36m
    Within seconds of finding Kendrec McDade, the police LIED and said they heard McDade shoot at them and saw gun flash come from his gun.

Shaun King @ShaunKing · 35m
    The police then shot Kendrec McDade EIGHT TIMES, then handcuffed him. He struggled to survive for an HOUR and then died.

Turns out, McDade didn't have a gun, didn't have the laptop, the police lied and the 911 caller lied.
    http://www.scpr.org/news/2014/06/16/44754/pasadena-pays-1-million-to-parents-of-kendrec-mcda/

Shaun King @ShaunKing · 34m
    Admitting that Kendrec McDade was wrongfully killed Pasadena just gave the family $1 million but the officers STILL HAVE THEIR JOBS.

Shaun King @ShaunKing · 33m
    Just like the @OhioAG won't release the tape of Crawford being killed, Pasadena REFUSES to release their reports.
    http://ktla.com/2014/09/16/release-...-shooting-of-kendrec-mcdade-blocked-by-judge/

Shaun King @ShaunKing · 32m
    Charged with assaulting an officer, GOING FOR THEIR GUN, and eluding arrest, let me tell you about Marcus Jeter.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/cri...ates-nj-man-implicates-cops-article-1.1701763

Shaun King @ShaunKing · 31m
    Facing SERIOUS PRISON time for FALSE POLICE REPORTS, Marcus Jeter was saved by police cameras.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/cri...ates-nj-man-implicates-cops-article-1.1701763

Beaten terribly by New Jersey officers, handcuffed and on the ground, officers can be heard FAKE YELLING that Jeter is going for their gun.

Shaun King @ShaunKing · 30m
    The officer, thinking he is "creating evidence" for one police camera forgot another was filming him faking the whole thing.

It took a YEAR for Marcus Jeter to prove that the police faked the whole incident and lied a dozen times.

Shaun King @ShaunKing · 28m
    Outside of Chicago, an officer was mad because his (black) neighbors had the music up too loud. He confronted them and killed Rekia Boyd.

Shaun King @ShaunKing · 27m
    In his report on how he came to kill Rekia Boyd (a woman FYI) the officer said he "saw a gun". It was a cell phone.
    http://www.suntimes.com/news/crime/...er-charged-in-shooting-that-killed-woman.html

Shaun King @ShaunKing · 26m
    Now, let me bring this LETHAL trend of false reports, and the brutalization of black people by police based on them, back to St. Louis.

Shaun King @ShaunKing · 24m
    Ten years ago STL Police killed two men sitting in their car. Police said the men tried to run over them. The FEDS said the car never moved.

Shaun King @ShaunKing · 23m
    In spite of this the feds finding what amounts to a smoking gun of a lie, Bob McCulloch REFUSED to indict them.
    http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...cle_cdd4c104-6086-506e-9ee8-aa957a31fee5.html

Shaun King @ShaunKing · 22m
    In essence, a FALSE REPORT from the police is worth more to Bob McCulloch than evidence from the Federal Government. Are you following me?

Shaun King @ShaunKing · 21m
    At the time of that case, McCulloch went on record as saying he didn't know what the outrage was because the 2 men killed "were bums".

Shaun King @ShaunKing · 19m
    I want to show you something. The DAY AFTER police fired 41 shots at unarmed Amadou Diallo, this article was written.
    http://www.nytimes.com/1999/02/05/n...re-41-shots-and-an-unarmed-man-is-killed.html

Shaun King @ShaunKing · 18m
    Notice in the 1st 2 paragraphs, all the way back in '99 how the article quotes the police DID NOT FILE A REPORT so facts are hard to come by.

Now, watch a FALSE REPORT filed with your own eyes in St. Louis and advocated at every step by @RoordaJ
    Watch this young man get assaulted by police, on CAMERA, then demeaned at every step.

Shaun King @ShaunKing · 34m
    Then watch @RoordaJ openly and publicly LIE about what we see happen with our own eyes.

Shaun King @ShaunKing · 33m
    Now, I'm almost home, don't give up. It's about to get CRAZY. Do you accept that false reports are leading to black death with little justice?

Shaun King @ShaunKing · 32m
    Now, understand that @RoordaJ who was FIRED as an officer for FALSE REPORTS and is on tape advocating a FALSE REPORT is HUGE in St. Louis.

I break down the indisputable facts with records and photos of just how important @RoordaJ is in St. Louis here:
    https://storify.com/laurahib/shaun-king

But you must know that @RoordaJ is a CLOSE CLOSE ally of @GovJayNixon. They JUST appeared together at a fundraiser for @RoordaJ.

And @RoordaJ is in CHARGE OF THE CHARITY behind the Darren Wilson fundraisers. It's all right here.
    https://storify.com/laurahib/shaun-king

Shaun King @ShaunKing · 28m
    And now, bringing it full circle, we have the beloved and influential two-term mayor of Ferguson OPENLY saying he'll stage a fake shooting?!?

Shaun King @ShaunKing · 27m
    I just need you to WAKE UP and understand the levels of corruption and ugliness to this. It's indisputable and documented YET NOTHING HAPPENS.

Shaun King @ShaunKing · 25m
    I'm publicly and openly saying, on the record, that the Ferguson and St. Louis County Police have filed a false report in Mike Brown's murder.

Shaun King @ShaunKing · 24m
    The Ferguson and St. Louis County police, in violation of sunshine laws, refuse to release ANY statements given or reports created.

Shaun King @ShaunKing · 23m
    And I am increasingly confident that we busted a key lie in their narrative about Mike Brown's murder here:
    https://storify.com/VeryWhiteGuy/shaunking-exposes-ferguson-pd-lie-about-distance-f

Shaun King @ShaunKing · 21m
    False reports killed John Crawford, Kendrec McDade, Rekia Boyd, Amadou Diallo, Sean Bell, and I believe a false report killed Mike Brown.

Shaun King @ShaunKing · 20m
    I'm done. Please study and share all that I've tweeted. Make your own thoughtful decisions on the facts. They are strong and ugly.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. The Wrong Guy Member

Shaun King @ShaunKing · 13m
    Just had a mainstream media reporter write me to tell me they won't be doing much more Ferguson coverage until there's a major development.

Shaun King @ShaunKing · 12m
    They basically said they believed and accepted my report on the Ferguson lie about the distance Mike ran, but won't be reporting it.

Shaun King @ShaunKing · 11m
    In essence, they said ISIS and elections will dominate their press, and Ferguson will only get major coverage when the indictment decision is made.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. The Wrong Guy Member

Prosecutor in Ferguson case speaks to CNN

Published by CNN on September 25, 2014

As protests in Ferguson have rekindled, Ana Cabrera speaks exclusively with St. Louis County Prosecutor Bob McCulloch.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. The Wrong Guy Member

Ferguson police chief goes on apology tour

Published by CNN on September 25, 2014

Ferguson, Missouri Police Chief Thomas Jackson issues an apology to slain teen Michael Brown's parents.

CNN will air an interview with Jackson tonight on Anderson Cooper 360.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. The Wrong Guy Member

Justice Department investigates Ferguson police | MSN

Department of Justice investigators on Wednesday heard one story after another about police harassment and brutality in Ferguson, the suburban St. Louis city where 18-year-old Michael Brown was shot and killed by a police officer last month.

At least 300 people crammed into a room at St. Louis Community College's Florissant Valley campus for the meeting hosted by the department's Civil Rights Division. The investigators were seeking direct input from residents who live in and near Ferguson.

"We go in and we try to figure out: 'Is (misconduct) happening? Is it a pattern? Is it violating the constitution? And most importantly, how do we fix it?'" said Christy Lopez, deputy counsel of the Civil Rights Division.

There was no public comment period but tables were set up for people to share their concerns privately with DOJ officials. And investigators got an earful.

Brandon Smith, 28, told investigators he moved away from Ferguson four years ago because he was constantly harassed. He said he was once cited for "manner of walking in roadway" and jailed on $1,000 bond for the misdemeanor. He said he posted bond and never got the money back.

Yolanda Lanns, 43, said her family was at a store where a disturbance broke out. Police assumed her husband was part of the fracas "because he was black," used a stun gun on him three times and took him to jail, Lanns said. She said he had nothing to do with the fight.

Joyce Washington, 55, of neighboring Cool Valley, said all three of her adults sons have been pulled over repeatedly in Ferguson.

"It's just because they're young, black men," Washington said. "Now they won't drive through Ferguson. I want to know why our children have to take alternative routes to get to our destinations."

Ferguson, with 21,000 residents, is two-thirds black, but only three of the 53 police officers are African-American.

The department's investigation of Ferguson police is focused on whether officers there use excessive force; whether constitutional rights of some residents are violated by traffic stops, searches and arrests; and if police engage in discriminatory practices.

Police Chief Tom Jackson was not at the meeting but has said he welcomes the investigation.

Continued here:
    http://news.msn.com/us/justice-department-investigates-ferguson-police
    • Like Like x 1
  9. The Wrong Guy Member

Church of Scientology didn't kill Michael Brown, New York Times corrects | iMediaEthics

Did the Church of Scientology have anything to do with the death of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri?

Apparently not, but that didn't stop the New York Times from saying as much via an editing error in an article. If that weren't bad enough, the Times also added that the hacking group Anonymous was protesting Scientology's killing of Brown.

A Sept. 21 New York Times correction, spotted by Slate, reads:

"Because of an editing error, an earlier version of this article referred incorrectly to protests by the hactivist group Anonymous. The group appeared at protests against the Church of Scientology and against the killing of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Mo. It did not protest against the Church of Scientology for the killing of Mr. Brown. "

News DIffs, the website that tracks changes to articles by several news outlets, shows that the Times report originally read:

"You can see this merging in the Guy Fawkes masks worn by members of Anonymous, a loose international network of hactivists, at protests against, for example, the Church of Scientology for the killing of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Mo."

Source: http://www.imediaethics.org/News/47...idnt_kill_michael_brown__nytimes_corrects.php
    • Like Like x 4
  10. RightOn Member

are their editors and fact checkers asleep? :confused:
  11. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 2
  12. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 1
  13. rof Member

http://pando.com/2014/09/25/ferguso...he-way-some-libertarians-want-you-to-believe/
    • Like Like x 1
  14. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 1
  15. Thanks a bunch for digging this up, rof. It's an accurate, thorough, intelligent article on what may well be the primary cause of the deep unrest, not just in Ferguson MO, but wherever libertarian ideas have resulted in the militarisation of what we used to think of as a public service, or in turning Justice itself into a business.

Mark Ames' piece needs to be seen by a wider audience. It goes to the very heart of national politics and suggests a major re-think is needed if we want to avoid a complete meltdown of civic life, sparked by - but not caused by - incidents such as the Michael Brown shooting.
  16. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 2
  17. The Wrong Guy Member

18. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 1
  19. Disambiguation Global Moderator

20. The Wrong Guy Member

Charles Wade@akacharleswade 3m
    I'm not leaving. I will blow through every dollar I have for this. I have NEVER seen injustice like this IN MY LIFE! #Ferguson

Charles Wade @akacharleswade · 4m
    Every person that has worked for weeks trying to keep the peace is walking around upset and feeling like whatever happens next is justified!

Charles Wade @akacharleswade · 4m
    We are hurt. Tonight was a blatant betrayal. I have no sympathy or empathy for any of the police out here. Not one. #Ferguson

Charles Wade @akacharleswade · 1m
    Face off. #Ferguson

BybrR4NIMAE01cM.jpg:large.jpg

Charles Wade @akacharleswade · 1m
    The most peaceful, sensible, and even forgiving amongst us are PISSED! #Ferguson this weekend will be on 9000. Trust.
    • Like Like x 1
  21. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 1
  22. Disambiguation Global Moderator

• Like Like x 2
  23. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 2
  24. DeathHamster Member

25. DeathHamster Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/22/a...ulcrum-of-art-and-political-protest.html?_r=2
    ChallCon.jpg
    • Like Like x 6
  26. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 1
  27. nightfire Member

wow arresting people for marching with the Chief... could these idiots screw this up any worse?
  28. rof Member

Thanks, pardon the derail but here is some more:

http://www.themorningnews.org/article/blues-on-wheels
  29. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 1
  30. The Wrong Guy Member

Charles Wade@akacharleswade 12m
    The police came about 15 minutes ago and spoke to the folks at Andy Wurm and now the protest site is shut down!
    #Ferguson

Charlie Grapski@cgrapski 10m
    @Bob_Hudgins @ms_tjp Officials via police trying to deny you places to stage/stand. Eliminate street, sidewalk and private property.

Bob Hudgins@Bob_Hudgins 6m
    We are breaking it down. Cops here telling us our things all must go immediately. Owner asked they go. Cops say they'll store tents, etc.

Charles Wade@akacharleswade 5m
    Told to leave Andy Wurm and also being told the other lot we were moving to by the CNN van off limits also.

Now the officer is saying they are going to remove CNN also.
    #Ferguson

@stackizshort: @me Is Andy shutting it down?” Police forcing Andy to. And telling us the other lot where media is parked is also off limits.

Charles Wade@akacharleswade 2m
    @onefaithlove: @akacharleswade "They can shut down a street but not the outrage of the world."

Charles Wade@akacharleswade 32s
    CNN folks are frantically making calls now. If we have to go, then CNN has to go too.
    #Ferguson
  31. Disambiguation Global Moderator

Bump
    I have no idea what's actually happening there and it looks like we won't know until the press are allowed back in. Again.
  32. The Wrong Guy Member

This is a good way to follow what's happening there:
    There are several Ferguson-related Twitter lists, but this one seems to be the biggest:
    https://twitter.com/Dave_Roadsters/lists/ferguson-news

If you scroll down a few hours, you'll see that today the young protesters that had been in a tent were evicted and had everything confiscated.

Lost Voices@lostvoices14 9s
    This is our website it needs final touches but u can donate and we need donations asap! Donate link:
    https://lostvoices.nationbuilder.com/donate

If you want to follow just one protester, this is a good one:
    https://twitter.com/akacharleswade
    • Like Like x 1
  33. The Wrong Guy Member

DOJ Gets Ferguson, St. Louis County Cops To Ban 'I Am Darren Wilson' Wristbands

Ferguson police officers who are on duty should not be wearing wristbands showing support for the cop who shot and killed an unarmed teenager last month, the Justice Department on Friday told police in St. Louis County. DOJ officials also said they personally had observed Ferguson police officers not wearing name plates, in direct conflict with Ferguson Police Department policy.

A photo posted on social media during demonstrations in Ferguson on Tuesday night appears to show an officer working crowd control wearing a wristband that reads "I am Darren Wilson." That slogan is affiliated with a campaign in support of the Ferguson police officer who killed Michael Brown on Aug. 9, and whom protestors want to see arrested. A grand jury currently is weighing the evidence against Wilson, and the FBI has launched a separate civil rights investigation into the case.

Missouri State Highway Patrol Capt. Ron Johnson said the wristbands were "not a statement of law enforcement" and that he would have conversations with law enforcement agencies about officers wearing the wristbands.

Christy Lopez, deputy chief of the special litigation section of DOJ's Civil Rights Division, sent a letter to Ferguson Police Chief Tom Jackson on Friday indicating that Jackson had agreed to prohibit Ferguson officers from wearing "I am Darren Wilson" bracelets while in uniform and on duty. The letter said Jackson had said he would make sure the other municipal agencies working in Ferguson would prohibit their officers from wearing the bracelets as well.

Lopez said St. Louis County Police Chief Jon Belmar and Missouri Highway Patrol Ron Replogle had indicated to Justice Department officials they also would ban the bracelets.

"These bracelets reinforce the very 'us versus them' mentality that many residents of Ferguson believe exists," Lopez wrote in the letter.

In a separate letter that DOJ sent to Jackson this week that was released on Friday, Civil Rights Division officials asked him to make sure his officers were wearing name tags while on duty. Lopez had mentioned that letter in a meeting with St. Louis County residents earlier this week, and Jackson reportedly assured federal officials that officers would wear name tags while on duty.

“Sometimes things are just so obvious that we feel like we can recommend a change right away,” Lopez said at the meeting. “In a democracy, people need to know who their police are.”

Some social media users have reported that officers from other police departments assisting police in Ferguson still were not wearing name badges at protests this week.

"Officers wearing name plates while in uniform is a basic component of transparency and accountability. It is a near-universal requirement of sound policing practices and required under some state laws," the letter to Jackson states. "Allowing officers to remain anonymous when they interact with the public contributes to mistrust and undermines accountability. The failure to wear name plates conveys a message to community members that, through anonymity, officers may seek to act with impunity."

Police officers regularly ditched their name tags during protests last month, allowing them to operate anonymously and making it more difficult for citizens to hold individual officers accountable for their actions. Asked about officers not wearing name tags last month, Johnson said people were harassing officers online, while Jackson said that protestors would use an officer's name to taunt them. “It kind of reduces that personal taunt and allows us to be generic,” Jackson said at the time.

Continued here:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/26/ferguson-darren-wilson-wristbands-doj_n_5890436.html
    • Like Like x 1
  34. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 1
  35. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 1
  36. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 2
  37. The Wrong Guy Member

Ferguson Police Have Case File for Mya Aaten-White, Bullet's Location Still in Question | Riverfront Times

By Jessica Lussenhop, September 24, 2014

Just over a month ago, Daily RFT broke the strange story of Mya Aaten-White, the woman who was shot in the head as she left one of the first protests following the killing of Michael Brown in Ferguson. Aaten-White's shooting was characterized to media as a "drive-by," and a selfie she managed to take in the ambulance on the way to the hospital went viral.

mya_aaten_white_ambulance-thumb-560x336.jpg

The bullet pierced Aaten-White's skull but miraculously stopped about a millimeter from her brain. She was taken to a hospital where doctors extracted it -- and that's all the information anyone could get. As of our last report, no one from the police had interviewed Aaten-White, neither Ferguson nor St. Louis County police had case files about the incident, and most puzzling of all, the bullet seemed to have gone missing.

Now we have some new information, including that incident report. Other questions persist.

A few days after our initial request, St. Louis County Police record keepers confirmed that Ferguson is the agency investigating the shooting. We then asked the city of Ferguson for the records, which was provided three weeks later after a Sunshine Request. Here it is:

Continued here:
    http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/da...e_file_bullets_location_still_in_question.php

Here's Mya Aaten-White on Twitter: https://twitter.com/spookwrites

spook @spookwrites · Sep 24
    In the 4th grade about 6 of us were playing in the neighborhood. We cut through a white man's grass and were chased with a shotgun.

When I was 13 I saw a boy's head smashed through a wall at Jamestown Mall by Hazelwood PD because he had on a tall tee and sagging pants.

When I was 14 they started suspending students from Cross Keys Middle School for wearing shoe strings that weren't white or black.

In the 11th grade I was hit by a drunk driver. Had to be pulled out the opposite side. Police laughed when they got there.

In 12th grade at the Valley of Flowers festival, a fight broke out. Cops kicked over a stroller with a baby in it and pushed the mother away.

While in college I watched a friend be assaulted by campus police. When I confronted them I was called a nigger and a bitch.

A campus police officer took hold of the collar of my shirt and said she'd push me down the steps in front of the Fine Arts building.

I grabbed the officer's collar and said that if she pushed me down the steps we were going together. She let go of my shirt.

Why are we angry? Why aren't you?
    • Like Like x 2
  38. The Wrong Guy Member

The message Devin James hopes to send to Ferguson residents | KMOV St. Louis

Devin James, the man hired by Ferguson to rebuild the city's image, was fired Thursday night after the St. Louis Economic Development Partnership found out he is a convicted killer.

When the violence broke out in Ferguson James went from a sub-contracting job to working on rebuilding the city’s image. But, when the news broke about his conviction, the St. Louis Economic Development Partnership ordered James to be fired.

Friday, James was back on the job, showing up at the Ferguson Police Department. Police Chief Tom Jackson says James sends the right message to many people in Ferguson who have already had trouble with the law.

James is in the middle of negotiating a contract with Ferguson officials to continue his work with the city.

http://www.kmov.com/news/just-poste...-to-continue-work-in-Ferguson--277270821.html
    • Like Like x 1
  39. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 2
  40. Disambiguation Global Moderator

pepper-spray-cop-meme-collection-1mut.com-14.jpg

ht_pepper_spray_meme_07_nt_111121_ssh.jpg
    X6qtn.jpg
    pepper-spray-cop-meme-collection-1mut.com-9.jpeg
    Pepper-Spray-Cop-Meme-1.jpg

So is pepper spray.
    • Like Like x 3