Customize

Reporters receiving 120-page letters about Scientology from Germany

Discussion in 'Media' started by The Wrong Guy, Oct 19, 2013.

1. The Wrong Guy Member

First, this article appeared in September, 2010:

From the pile: Anyone speak German?

Posted on September 21, 2010 by Logan C. Adams

I got this massive packet this week from someone in Germany. It’s all in German and I suspect it somehow involves Scientology because the many pages — they’re numbered to 120 — and contain many references to Scientology, which is one of the few words I saw and could make out on the page.

<snip>

Reader CSAW provided us this translation less than half an hour after I first posted it:

To whom it may concern:

Enclosed I am sending you some documents and facts about the Church of Scientology and other organizations that you may want to hang on to and that may be or will be of interest to you.

Sincerely,

Karsten Sasse

http://adams.areavoices.com/2010/09/21/from-the-pile-anyone-speak-german/

Then this was published in June, 2013:

A random piece of mail, redux

By Franklin Clark, Reporter -- fclark@cadizrecord.com

June 26, 2013

In September 2011, I wrote an editorial on what is still to this day the most random piece of mail I have ever received at the office – a 120-page German letter about the German government’s alleged mistreatment of the Church of Scientology.

Of all the editorials I have written, of all the controversial subjects on which I have opined, it is also the one that has garnered the most responses.

To this very day, people from small newspapers all around the country tell me they’ve received this same piece of mail, and that they found my editorial on the subject after a Google search.

And there’s been a recent upswing, from places like Newburyport, Mass., Andover, Mass., and Westfield, Mass. Why all the recent responses are from Massachusetts, I can’t even begin to guess.

Sadly, I don’t know if I still have the letter. My office is basically a black hole; even if it’s here, it’s gone forever. So I couldn’t translate it, even if I knew German. When I first received it, I only translated the first few paragraphs via Google Translate, which is hardly exact.

However, even with Google Translate, the author’s intent was crystal clear:

“Such a comprehensive discrimination and destruction of a small religious-ideological minority is unprecedented in the history of the liberal democratic state example. Here, public funds or tax money for campaigns of hatred and discrimination are used against German citizens who are simply members of a religious community, which are clearly parallels to Hitler’s time. The official reports and statements of politicians, authorities and a lot of other people are plain and clear: to eliminate the Church of Scientology and Scientologists.”

My response back then is still relevant.

“Scientology isn’t recognized as an official religion in Germany, whose government views it as an abusive business pretending to be a religion, and German domestic intelligence services have monitored their activities. Reasonable people can disagree on whether this is the right course for Germany to take, but it’s a far cry from what Hitler did. Of course, like all who have no good arguments, the author played the Hitler Card.”

<snip>

My main question – how this mail reached The Cadiz Record and the offices of other small American newspapers – remains valid.

The full article is here:
    http://www.cadizrecord.com/view/full_story/22977463/article-A-random-piece-of-mail--redux

This article was published today:

Letter to Daily Journal Editorial from Germany is, uh, strange

Lengthy correspondence about Scientology written in German

By Pat Pratt, (573) 518-3616

We in the newsroom have always applauded ourselves for reaching the masses, but we never in our wildest dreams expected to receive a 120 page letter to the editor from a resident of a small town in Germany.

Still, about three weeks ago, we did. A large manila envelope arrived in the Daily Journal newsroom with a forwarding address of Ellerndam 11, Deutschland.

Inside the envelope were a cover letter and a lengthy document composed in German on fairly high quality paper. The cover letter was dated October 30, 2007. Aside from the date, we could not understand a single word of it. A quick Google translation revealed this much:

“Dear Sir or Madam,

Attached I send a couple of documents and facts about the scientology church and organizations that are or may be deprived of you, and could be of interest.

Yours truly,

Karsten Sasse”

The main document was dated March 3, 1999 and addressed to the United Nation Commission for Human Rights. The text had no paragraphs or page breaks of any kind. While a translation of the entire letter, manifesto, novella, whatever the case may be, is not on our agenda, it is pretty obvious it has something to do with Scientology. The word is repeated several times in all caps throughout.

<snip>

Whatever point Sasse may be trying to get across must certainly be important to him. Assuming he is spending his own money on postage and duplication fees this project must certainly be costing him a pretty penny. And while this reporter loves nothing more than to hold those in power accountable, it might help if he could read the darn letter. A request to the editors for a three-week expense paid trip to the German Alps for further investigation was not approved as of press time.

http://dailyjournalonline.com/news/...cle_f754e63a-3857-11e3-86b6-001a4bcf887a.html

More:

Karsten Sasse - Scientology Service Completions
    http://www.truthaboutscientology.com/stats/by-name/k/karsten-sasse.html

Lots more:

http://www.bing.com/search?q="Karsten Sasse"
    • Like Like x 5
  2. TrevAnon Member

Well, IMHO my German and English and Google Translate are good enough to do a translation but I would need a digital copy.

And I reserve the right to not do a thing about it if I think it is crap.
    • Like Like x 5
  3. The Wrong Guy Member

It's crap. Care for some coffee?

breaking-bad-coffee-290x290.jpg
    • Like Like x 3
  4. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 2
  5. RightOn Member

stop it WG!
    you are making me pine for Walt
    • Like Like x 2
  6. RightOn Member

love the piano piece in this scene. Very reminiscent of Charlie Brown~ Peanuts style.
    Is it Vince Guaraldi?
    /derail
    • Like Like x 1
  7. DeathHamster Member

• Like Like x 3
  8. Hugh Bris Member

9. meep meep Member

I just perused the Scientology related threads that popped up under " new threads". What a horrible awful unbelievable organization and personality cult. The very pretty and well spoken clone that took me around Big Blue did get tired of my questions and tried to ditch me but I'd seek until she came back.
    My first question was " Do you think he is Divine?"
  10. meep meep Member

I got to talk to Tory too outside and the woman belonging to the voice that says " most ethical group on the planet! woohoo! " in videos of protests.
  11. I don't know if anyone still cares about this German letter about Scientology, but my office at the University of Arizona in Tucson just received a copy, with the cover letter dated 3/30/2017.
    It's still circulating.

Did everyone else just throw it away or take the time to read it?
  12. DeathHamster Member

120 pages of single spaced German with no paragraph breaks?

I'm sure that most people pitch it.