Customize

Questions for Chicago Tribune story

Discussion in 'Media' started by mlpatterson2, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Robert S Member

Re: Questions for Chicago Tribune story

This would also be a person's individual choice, whether they wanted to help someone namefagged or not. I'm actually not aware of any rules I'm supposed to adhere to, to be honest.
  2. Daywatch Member

good point

I stand corrected
  3. amaX Member

yes, it IS up to the media to learn how ANONYMOUS works!

yes, we ARE in the same league as "government informants" because many of us HAVE been government informants for this cause!

we are in the midst of dismantling a cult that is guilty of the largest espionage infiltration in the history of our government here in the united states! yes, i KNOW that the cult is not only in the united states, but we're not the only country they've done this sort of shit to.

they are insideous and have used underhanded tactics to get what they want. they enjoy an illegal tax-exemption because of those tactics.

theyhave killed people in this cult.

hello?: LISA MCPHERSON and all the others listed on whyaretheydead.net

go ask kyle brennan's mother how she feels about this cult and what they're capable of doing.

they care nothing about their members from the cradle to the grave. they don't care about ANYONE from the cradle to the grave.

if a journalist does not understand the gravity of the fight that ANON is engaged in, then perhaps they should do a fluff piece on the local dog park or something of that nature.

i also don't find ANONYMOUS "bizarre" in any way. i find this whole system brilliant. i am in awe of how simple and yet how effective this has been.

namefag yourself at your own peril, but do not expect the majority of us to follow suit.

:guyfawkes:
  4. Robert S Member

If the article is about Anonymous, yes I agree. But if it's about Scientology no, I don't agree. I've tried to get people who have no idea what's going on to get their head around all this and it's just too much to assimilate the crimes of Scientology, the history of past protests, the Anonymous culture, and anything else you need to explain the things you need to explain to make a good and complete explanation. It doesn't work. Small bites, focused, are the best way to get the word out to people who have no clue. I don't want to think that asking reporters to understand Anonymous is even relevant, and it comes off a little like trying to get stroked.
  5. amaX Member

we know what this cult can and will do if they find out who we are.

the majority of us are working very hard to not be namefagged.

for me it's a matter of common sense. if you purposely namefag yourself to anyone when you know what can happen? are ANONS supposed to help you with a legal defense if the cult comes at you through the courts? are we supposed to have your back if you do something that most of us disagree with and goes to the core of what we're all about and why we have been so successful?

yes, i know we've helped ANONS who've been namefagged against their will, but this is different.

this feels like a bad move to me. i strongly urge that in the future ANONS do not namefag themselves to a reporter for the sake of a story.

6. sockpuppet Member

Gathering from the questions, mlpatterson2 may want some clarification on the origins and nature of Anonymous/Chanology. Chris Landers’ article in the City Paper (Washington publication?) is one of the best researched I've seen: http://www.citypaper.com/columns/story.asp?id=15543. Although it doesn't really address the reasons why we're protesting, it might help clear things up. Good luck Chicago anons, hope you get a decent article. The Tribune is a good publication, I've been following Mo Ryan's column for years.
  7. Robert S Member

If a person outs themselves with the full knowledge of what lies ahead, including there being no reason to assume a safety net, this is completely within the call of the person making the decision. Whether other folks think it's a good idea or a bad one is all good advice well-meant, but - for better or worse - it's up to the person who has the call.
  8. WindandGhosts Member

It's humor, not seriousness.

It's taboo dark humor.

You don't have to find it funny, but at least understand that it is humor, satire. Anonymous typically pokes fun at everything wrong with the internet, and the world.

Consider a painting made of feces. Now, no one really WANTS to see feces, but can you deny that it's art?
    And if the artist was just being a bastard, can you not see the humor in that?
    And if enough people get offended, can you guess what's going to happen next? That's right, a sculpture.

In the spirit of anonymous, I will take your question as a troll and say "Good one!"
  9. lermanet_com Member

I called the Chicago tribune
    The original poster is for real, a reporter at the Chicago Tribune..
  10. Daywatch Member

see first page

slow OG is slow
  11. mlpatterson2 Member

Hello Anons,
    I'd just like to note how frustrating this is becoming. So far, everyone who has agreed to talk on the record has either backed out or has not returned my phone calls/e-mails. I have not spoken to QAnon. It's possible that my editors will decide not to run the story on Saturday, or reduce it to a very short story, if I don't have enough local sources within Anonymous willing to talk openly. Again, I have no control over that, just like I have no control over whether they'll allow me to use any anonymous sources at all.

I respect your philosophy of complete anonymity, but most of you seem to have very little respect for my profession. If all my sources back out at the last minute and this story has to be pulled from the Sunday paper, it will not only make me look bad but it will cost the paper a great deal of money.

You can continue to call me an impostor if you'd like. But assuming you actually want coverage on this matter, it hurts you just as much as it does me.

Melissa Patterson
  12. amaX Member

yes, yes, yes: we are a herd of cats with internet access.

what you say is true: it is up to the individual whether they want to namefag themselves or not.

however, we do have a policy of distancing ourselves from anyone who does anything illegal. i.e.: "if you're at a protest and someone does something stupid? point them out and say they're not ANONYMOUS or immediately sit down so that the offending person can be singled out as not part of what you're doing."

NO. i'm not saying that namefagging yourself to a reporter is illegal. it's not.

what i am saying is that when someone does something stupid and/or illegal while trying to pass themself off as an ANON, that has potential to cause us harm. we have to handle it and make sure that everyone knows that's not "us."

in the same vein, intentionally namefagging yourself to a reporter creates a precedent i am not comfortable with. it reeks of being a bad situation and it feels like we need to handle it.

the bad thing about living in clearwater is that this is the cult's "mecca." the good thing about living in clearwater is that the reporters, the police and your neighbors ALL understand all-to-well that you NEED to stay ANONYMOUS. you MUST stay ANONYMOUS.

i've explained how ANONYMOUS works and why we're doing what we're doing to my 12 year old neice; my 68 year old friend who's a floral designer, my 75 year old mother-in-law, my 30 year old redneck, coal-miner brother-in-law; an elderly Scicilian couple who speak very little English; and two ladies from belleair who were complete strangers to me and stopped me as i was walking away from a protest and ALL of them understood the horrific things the cult has done and ALL of them understand why we should stay ANONYMOUS. hell, everyone i've told has understood.

if a reporter can't understand that or their editor refuses to acknowledge that we must stay ANONYMOUS? that's not our problem.

i am also NOT saying that the people who have namefagged themselves to this reporter didn't have good intentions! i believe that they did and i sure hope that what they've done doesn't come back to bite them in the ass.

if we have to accomplish our goals at a slower pace to protect ourselves and our ANONYMITY, so be it.

this may turn out to be a marathon and not a sprint.

13. Daywatch Member

no one is calling you an impostor

do you NOT get that the Church of Scientology WILL actively fuck with people who they KNOW are vocal critics of them?

do you know the church of scientology committed the LARGEST infiltration of the US government in history?

do you know the CoS is linked to MANY suspicious deaths?

do you know the CoS has drowned MULTIMILLIONAIRES in so many law suits, they drowned them in litigation and silenced them?

they WILL come to your house

they WILL try to use the courts as a club to bash critics heads in

they WILL tell your neighbors you are a pedophile and a terrorist

they WILL harass your employer

think of the CO$ like the Dailey machine with less morals or the Outfit
  14. momISanon Member

Not to mention...they WILL harass your loved ones and children (if you have them).^^^
  15. indeedindeed Member

I hope you'll get someone who is willing to give his/her name.
    I've got respect for your profession.
    I applaud that you want to report on this.
    I understand your frustration.
    I don't think most people think you're an impostor.
    But please understand that it's not without risk for people to give their name, it can have serious consequences for them and their future, their income and their family it's not just a question of philosophy. Again, I hope you'll get someone who is ready to give his/her ID and knows what s/he is doing.
  16. Daywatch Member

and kill your pets

see if anonymous sources wanted to report on government corruption or the MOB their would be things in place to protect them

there are no things like witness protection to protect protesters from the "church" of scientology
  17. Daywatch Member

YOU FIRST
  18. indeedindeed Member

If I was brave enough and lived there and thought it was a good idea and ready to face the consequences I would. But I'm none of the above.
  19. momISanon Member

Melissa,

It's a shame that you could not show up at our next protest with a photographer and interview fellow Anon on what we're doing. :(
  20. Daywatch Member

old Marine NCO saying: never ask anyone to do anything you're not willing to do yourself first
  21. amaX Member

ms. patterson,

respect is a two-way street. we wish to remain ANONYMOUS and you cannot do your story without us naming ourselves. i'm truly sorry that you cannot do your story without us naming ourselves.

i mean no disrespect to your profession. i have a sibling who actually is a reporter for a newspaper. ANONYMOUS simply cannot namefag themselves to your paper for the sake of your article.

i'm sorry that you don't understand the gravity of this situation. perhaps if you looked more into what this cult CAN and WILL do to people that criticize them, you would understand where we're coming from.

yes, respect is a two-way street. if someone namefags themself to you, will the your paper back them up financially if they're drug into court? the cult is notorious for filing lawsuits that they know they can't win against people just to keep those people tied up in court. will the trib fork over the money for all the legal fees and problems that will crop up if a namefagged ANON ends up being sued by the cult?

perhaps you are familiar with the TIME magazine story on the cult? TIME ended up in court and spent millions of dollars to get themselves out of hot water. yes, TIME eventually won, but that article SET A PRECEDENT THAT MADE THE MEDIA BACK AWAY FROM $CIENTOLOGY FOR FEAR OF THEM GETTING THE SAME TREATMENT.

the global protests are a vital part of this movement. they create doubt in the cult member's minds because they can't make us go away with their secret mind control powers. our ANONYMITY is one of the most important factors of our being able to continue with these protests.

it's not up to us to change for you to get an article. if you cannot print the article without naming us? i'm sorry. this movement is not a joke. we may have fun and i do enjoy the lulz, but behind it all? there are people who are dedicated and determined to bring about the downfall of this cult and to save people within the cult and to stop the cult from ruining anymore lives.

some people have tried to nicely tell you that we cannot namefag ourselves.

some people have been not-so-nice with their refusal.

this is the way it is with a herd of cats with internet access.

day day,
    AMA
  22. indeedindeed Member

Even if I'm a coward I may hope other's are not, right?
    And by this I don't want to imply who refuses is a coward. There are very good reasons not give an ID.
    Also, Hoping/=Asking
  23. Daywatch Member

very well

I stand corrected
  24. Robert S Member

You keep this up I'm going to hurl in a minute over here.
  25. Daywatch Member

I can admit when I'm wrong

not that it happens often

faggot
  26. QAnon Member

Okay, children, settle down. Update time:

Ms. Patterson was hung up on the phone all monring, so I sent her a Longcat-Is-Long-length e-mail giving her my real name, my phone number, my background, my view of Anon (which I stated about three or four times was MY view), and Why I Protest. She has called me back to verify my phone number.

In the e-mail, I set terms for the equivalent of a plea bargain: I am willing to go on record either way and have my real identity known at the Trib in case of legal action by the Scifags; I stated that I would be willing to go to court should they experience legal action due to this article. I also stated that I would prefer to go by my handle in the article itself due to Fair Game. However, if push came to shove, I will name-fag myself in print. She said that she'd run that by her editors, which I find is a gesture of good faith on her part. She'll be calling me back in about a half hour to get more info from me. Hungry reporter is hungry.

Here's the facts: without an Anon willing to go on the record with the high probability of name-fagging, we don't get this story. Period. We need this coverage. This is more than the Metro section of the Trib. Tribune Media owns WGN. Look at your cable directory. Odds are pretty damn good that your cable system has it. WGN's "local news" is broadcast throughout the United States, and they do a lot of stories that are initiated in the Trib. So this Metro piece might lead to coverage of the Regional here being on a national cable channel. No, it's not CNN or Faux News, but it's pretty damn sweet.

The risk is only to me. The reward is to all of Anon in Chicago and possibly all of the US. It's worth it.

Daywatch, I don't expect any /b/lackup (although it'd be nice). But I'm a big boy and I can take care of myself. As I said, I have very little to lose (and I'll explain the Lulz factor to you in PM if you want to know, Day). The Scifags have a lot more to lose.
  27. Robert S Member

that's better.
  28. Daywatch Member

yeah I know we take care of our own ....
    bastards
  29. momISanon Member

QAnon,

Bless ya', hun! I know I couldn't do it, personally. I've got a lot to lose @ the mo. You have guts AND balls of titanium! :cake:

I'll be praying for you (hope you don't mind).

Let us know how it goes!

MIA
  30. i'mglib Member

Yay QAnon. The more people quoted the better the article will be. Thanks for doing this.
  31. TheStig Member

After thinking it over last night my mind kept coming back to the guy standing in front of the tank in Tianamen Square. That took balls, but it was for great justice. He paid the price, and for all we know is still paying the price, but what he did was right and continues to inspire millions.

We need to take inspiration from him. What made him willing to stand in front of a column of 60 ton tanks? The knowledge that doing so might, just might, make the world a better place. He decided to take a stand, knowing that millions felt the way he did, but he was the only one who could act, right then, to do something. Kinda like Tom Cruise.

That said...

I just got off the phone with Ms. Patterson and told her I would be willing namefag myself since they already know who I am. She is looking for local Chitown Anons. A St. Louis Anon means much less to Chicago paper readership.

Chicago: The tanks are in your city. I'll be there on the 26th, but someone needs to step up and get in front of those tanks right now. You might be fair gamed. You might get harassing phone calls and PI in front of your house. I am certain that will not be sent to a cold-ass prison in Manchuria, or see a firing squad.

Don't be scared of these clowns. They only have the power over us that we give them. You will be bringing about the change we are all here to see quicker if you pick up that phone than if we all just sit here and say "No, U".
  32. Kilia Member

^^THIS^^
    Bless ya QAnon!
    <3
  33. Kilia Member

Bless ya, TheStig..as well!
    <3
  34. elvanon Member

Awesome anons are awesome
  35. Daywatch Member

OK
    glad you guys did this

also HATE you guys did this..set a VERY bad presidant
  36. rof Member

37. Re: Questions for Chicago Tribune story

no u.

Hope it all goes ok, and the benefits outweigh the rather obvious risks.
  38. Daywatch Member

39. QAnon Member

Daywatch, you've always been Milhouse to me.

I'm going to call Ms. Patterson again, see if she's free now.
  40. CantPickaName Member

Why bother???

They will say they are innocent on all counts and if you want to know what they are about come into an org..read dianetics blah blah blah