Customize

Pussy Riot are mere magnets for West's hypocrisy

Discussion in 'Freedom of Expression' started by Archer, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Archer Member

Source:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2012/0823/1224322753285.html
  2. FreeSaxon Member

Agree with most of your post, think they are ALL a waste of time Madonna ( especially) included.

However they probably think they are being cool and `Western' in their approach says a lot about how our `values' ??? come over to the rest of the World doesn't it ?
  3. FreeSaxon Member

Talking of `Western values' I am reminded of the `British' Asian man that was found guilty of murdering his daughter because she was being Westernised.
    The prosecution stated that he was a hypocrite because he like `Western ways' ...
    Mozart ? Opera, Chelsea F.C .........no he liked going to Discos !!! says it all
  4. Anonymous Member

Dox or STFU!
  5. Anonymous Member

Your accent... do I detect a BNP Membership accent in here somewhere? I think I do. Care to comment?
  6. Anonymous Member

Last week I chatted with an acquaintance of mine, an immigrant to the US from the Ukraine. I asked him if he'd heard about Pussy Riot and what he thought about it.

At first he said he didn't know anything about it, so I explained what I knew: Pussy Riot looked to be rebellious kids trying to cause offense. But one of the young women read a statement prior to their sentencing explaining why they had entered a church and caused a scene. They said that Putin had appointed a high ranking KGB officer to a position of authority over the Russian Orthodox Church so the priests only said favorable things about Putin's government.

I told my friend that I was moved by the woman's speech. He interrupted me and said:

"Yes I know all about these things. You see, there were two Intelligence bodies in the USSR, the army Intelligence and the KGB. The military intelligence was for outside and the KGB for inside. The military, they have God in their heart --I don't know how to say it but you know what I mean. They have feelings. They are good people. I have respect for the men in the military.

"The KGB is something different. When the USSR went away, the military intelligence division went away also. Each country has their own. But the KGB did not go away. They are still there and everything is by the book. If they are in the woods doing exercises and they come upon a little girl, they kill her. They have to because that is the protocol. But the protocol was for wartime. They are still acting like they are in a war! And if you don't do it, if you oppose it, you go to jail. If you run you have the police and the KGB after you. You can't go anywhere without a name and papers. It's really bad."

Before I spoke with my friend, I did get a chill when I read that Putin had recommended that the court not deal too harshly with the three women. Considering the nature of their offense, the mere fact that Putin displayed public interest in their case seems of some significance.

Highly authoritarian social structures with a strong man at the top look the same, whether they are communist, fascist, or cultish: they are pyramids with every level focusing power up lines and enacting command intention from above. They're always chewing up the lower level at a rapid rate and hungry for more raw meat and money.

Once these social pyramids form they endure, it seems. They are tough to bring down. So the trick must be to prevent their ever taking hold.

I find my friend's account believable but I'd like to hear from others who have lived in the former USSR.