Customize

PROJECT REFUND

Discussion in 'Think Tank' started by An0nYm0use, Feb 21, 2008.

1. An0nYm0use Member

PROJECT REFUND

Idea:Brace for BOLD

PROJECT REFUND

We all know that it has proved difficult, and frustrating for former Scientologists to get there money back.

However their ARE people who have, one in Norway that i have heard mention of and Lawrence Wollersheim who was awarded 9.2 Million in the US (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b8wq-ru6p0).

As always CoS deal with such legal cases by fair gaming the plaintiff and the lawyer representing them, and stalling / wasting resources of the legal team.

The internets such as xenu.net and exscn.net obviously house a great number of possible plaintiffs
    - who in turn will know many others.

The idea behind PROJECT REFUND is to gather people who would be interested
    (no commitment necessary initially) in pursuing the possibility of legal action in order to secure refunds.

Those Anon with legal experience / knowledge would study the cases where compensation has been awarded (precedence) and the avenues / methods that would need to be pursued in the different territories / legal systems, the documents that would need to be produced etc.

One of the reasons (i suspect) that few ex-scientologists persue legal action is that it is an intimidating process, that they feel they will be alone in fighting an large and powerful (financially) organization.

In PROJECT REFUND a date would be set, say May 1st (or perhaps 4th July?) - where EVERYONE would simultaneously file compensation / refund suits. This would put the maximum pressure on the CoS legal team and make CoS spread out the resources needed to defend the individual cases.

A coordinated simultaneous filing would :

* create a MEDIA BUZZ.
    * create moar Negative PR for CoS
    * create long term "human interest stories" for the media associated with Project Chanology.
    * give those filing suits a community support system of others that are also involved in Project Refund.
    * maximize use of the resources of the CoS legal team. (CoS lose $$)
    * minimize the attacks of plaintiffs from CoS (strength / protection in numbers)
    * etc etc etc.

ESSENTIALLY A DDoS but LEGAL STYLE.

....?

Talk Amongst Yourselves.

2. Anon123456 Member

Re: PROJECT REFUND

i like the idea but, maybe we shouldnt hit them directly in their sheild. if that happens IMO they gain the upper hand. i think we should use every other means we can think of then taking on the fleet of lawyers. just sayin. if you attack a foe it should be in the weak spot.
  3. An0nYm0use Member

good points.

perhaps even the threat of the idea, combined with creation & development of the idea would be possible ... without an exact date set... this idea would obviously take a lot of time to develop, understand etc etc.

just tossing the idea out there
  4. badwolf Member

Maybe a class action suit? Some have been successful sueing, others have been driven to bancruptcy. a class action suit would protect the individual, yet strike a blow. People wont stand to get much back, but they wont have anything to lose, either. Where to get a ballsy lawer willing to go against the sclons. :idunno:
  5. an()n Member

In theory, it's cool, but the reality of our court system (in America) is disappointing. That suit could drag on for a decade if the church wanted it to.
  6. an()n Member

heh, it would take about 20 ballsy lawyers with a 7 digit bankroll to win a class action "refund" case against CoS. ( can you tell i've worked in that field before? :D -\-\spais >.>~/~/ )
  7. Bexx Member

His video is here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b8wq-ru6p0 and he set the precedent for it. So it should be easier for others to do it now. Which is what he says in the video too. And they wouldn't all have to be filed at once either. Since it takes time for each one to work through the court system to get to the CoS. Then they would just have one after another after another. For people that weren't in long or weren't staff they might be able to do a class action suit though.
  8. anonymous3347 Member

What if we went after the CoS lawyers? Dig up dox on their professional ethics and conduct? I'm saying leave their personal lives and families out of it, because we aren't the CoS. But we could use some legal fu to examine each one's professional conduct down the span of his or her career. Who's to say that there won't be unsavory history hiding in the back of their practices.

I know a young man about to graduate from law school, taking the boards this summer, and I am going to ask him about ethical oversight and what kinds of things might give ammo for some legal review board to peek at.
  9. Re: PROJECT REFUND

THIS ^^^^^^

Where's A-non-lawyer when you need him?
  10. Peter Wiggen Member

doing it on an individual basis has some advantages.

The Co$ does have a Fleet of well payed lawyers. I ask you an Important question though.

How Many?

Do you think that they have more lawyers then they do people that want their money back?

A single class action lawsuit gives them one large target to fight. There could be a million people behind it, but its still a single ball for them to work against, and stall for years.

Now imagine if 500 diffrent summons hit them from all around the country over the course of two-three days.

Do you think it would even be Physically possible for them to have the lawyers show up at all the complaint cases. Judges look at it very badly when the defendant doesn't show up to a case. The swarm tactic is what has worked best for us so far.

11. An0nYm0use Member

THIS IS THE PURPOSE OF THE IDEA THX :~)
  12. Re: PROJECT REFUND

(from http://www.lermanet2.com/exit/scientolo ... policy.htm)

Official Scientology Refund Policy

Below is the Church of Scientology's refund policy as stated to the U.S. Internal Revenue Service during negotiations for tax-exempt status. According to this policy, former members can obtain refunds easily and quickly.

If you want a refund, I suggest that you write a letter to your CoS org and request one. Include a copy of this policy if you wish. Be sure to keep copies of all correspondence with the org and make notes of any phone conversations.

If you don't receive a refund promptly, I recommend that you seek the help of an attorney, who can write a letter on your behalf to encourage action.

Also, if you don't receive a speedy refund, please write a letter (including copies of your correspondence with CoS) to the House Ways & Means Committee. This is the congressional committee that oversees IRS operations, and committee members would want to know whether an organization granted tax-exempt status by the IRS is or is not adhering to its stated policy. That address is:

Committee on Ways and Means
    U.S. House of Representatives
    1102 Longworth House Office Bldg.
    Washington, D.C. 20515
    Attn: Hon. Charles B. Rangel, Chairman.

The following is the Church of Scientology's written response to IRS questions as part of Form 1023 filing. This information can be verified at the Exempt Organizations Reading Room in the IRS office in Washington, D.C. This document was created specifically to answer IRS questions on CoS public policy and is available for public viewing and reproduction; there is no indication that any of the wording is copyrighted material. However, in the event that some portions of the document may contain material copyrighted by the Church of Scientology or its affiliated organizations, I hereby assert that the following quotation is Fair Use because: (1) The purpose is criticism and comment. (2) I do not conduct commerce of any kind in connection with this quoted material. (3) The portion of text quoted is brief. (4) My quoting this excerpt does not supplant demand for the original work nor affect marketability of CoS copyrighted materials.

If the Church of Scientology attempts to use legal threats to silence this Fair Use, those attempts will be publicized to the media, to EFF's Chilling Effects Clearinghouse, anti-SLAPP organizations, the GILC, IFEA and DFC.

BEGIN FAIR USE QUOTE:
    It has been a long-standing policy of the Church that if someone is dissatisfied with their Scientology services and asks to have their contributions returned within a three month period, these amounts will be returned. Likewise, if the person asks for return of contributions for which no services were received (i.e. an advance payment), there is no three month limitation period. Anyone newly enrolling in services at a Church of Scientology is informed of the policies and signs an agreement to abide by them. As a further condition of receiving a refund or repayment, the person understands that they may not again receive services from the Church.

Within the Church, there are two separate terms: A "refund" refers to a return of contributions to a parishioner within 90 days of participating in religious services while a "repayment" refers to a return of a parishioner's advance payment before he or she has participated in religious services. For simplicity, the following discussion will use the term "refund" to describe both types of transactions, because both involve a return of parishioner contributions.

The Church's refund policy is exceedingly fair. If someone isn't happy with Scientology -- which is a very small minority of people -- he simply has to make a proper request for his donations back, agree to forego further services and his donations will be returned. For the Church, in addition to the fact that this policy aligns with Scientology principles of exchange, it also serves the purpose of allowing our churches and the parishioners who are very happy with Scientology, to carry on without the unhappy few in their midst. END FAIR USE QUOTE.