Customize

Press Release: Australian media exposes worldwide tax fraud by Church of Scientology

Discussion in 'Think Tank' started by Anonymous, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Anonymous Member

Press Release: Australian media exposes worldwide tax fraud by Church of Scientology

As StuWyatt pointed out in another thread:

If Chanology has taught all of us anything it's that mass media does not move unless nudged. This is a major turn of events -- Today Tonight has exposed that the Church of Scientology is not paying taxes in the UK by claiming it is set-up in Australia with owners as far away as Canada. This is a worldwide scam, exposed, and packaged up in a report that's easy to understand and digest.

I have summarized the basics:

This needs rewriting and further details added -- crowdsourcing itt.

I'd like to add a pound-amount to this. How many members does the CoS claim to have in the UK? Under that number, how many pounds are being lost to the UK per year through this scam?

TL;DR: We need a press release that condenses the story so another media outlets can peruse and hopefully run with it.
  2. Anonymous Member

Re: Press Release: Australian media exposes worldwide tax fraud by Church of Scientol

1.COSRECI has filed unaudited financial statements in the United Kingdom each year up to and including the year ended 31 December 2008. For the 10 years to the end of 2008, the following gross receipts of COSRECI were disclosed:

Gross Receipts

1999 $5,704,655.00
    2000 $8,610,042.00
    2001 $8,531,462.00
    2002 $8,353,743.00
    2003 $10,129,646.00
    2004 $9,822,963.00
    2005 $10,311,696.00
    2006 $11,424,607.00
    2007 $20,987,594.00
    2008 $12,958,196.00
  3. Anonymous Member

Re: Press Release: Australian media exposes worldwide tax fraud by Church of Scientol

Here's something to start with:

The Australian news program Today Tonight reported last night that a recent investigation reveals the Church of Scientology has avoided paying billions in taxes in the United Kingdom and Canada. Today Tonight alleges that the church claims its UK and Canadian organizations are actually run out of Australia. According to Today Tonight, Scientology provided false addresses for its Australian headquarters.
  4. Anonymous Member

Wait wut? The heads of the organization are spread all over, in places like Belgium, South Africa and Canada. Don't see how that translates to not paying taxes there.
  5. Anonymous Member

General upward trend. Stats show growth and love for Scientology. I wonder how much financial damage 9000 worldwide protesters can do.

2008 $12,958,196.00[/QUOTE]

Ouch. $8,029,398. In just one country.
  6. Anonymous Member

Need to get our facts really clear - link to loan movements here Roland Rashleigh-Berry: "Massive Corporate Fraud by the Church of Scientology in the UK"

Disappearing loans amount to US$87m - Do we have same info for period since since inception of COSRECI in Oct 1976

10 years revenue in above post totals $106.8m (US$?) again do we have same info for period since COSRECI started in Oct 1976
  7. Random guy Member

Shouldn't that be millions?
  8. Anonymous Member

"The Australian news program Today Tonight reported Tuesday night a recent investigation reveals the Church of Scientology has avoided paying taxes on millions of pounds in the United Kingdom by using Australia as a tax haven."
  9. Anonymous Member

Tuesday night, The Australian news program Today Tonight reported on an investigation which revealed the Church of Scientology has avoided paying taxes on millions of pounds in the United Kingdom by using Australia as a tax haven.
  10. Anonymous Member

What about all the other countries: France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Southafrica? They all are "members" of the australian holding.
  11. Sponge Member

Take some fucking credit boys & girls.

Following investigations by a worldwide network of anonymous critics and ex-members of the Church of Scientology, some stretching back well over 10 years, shocking new evidence of alleged corporate fraud and tax evasion by the church now emerges in the news media.

Bryan Seymour, reporting for Australian 7News network's "Today Tonight" broadcast Tuesday 22nd June 2010 exposed a litany of financial obfuscation, apparent tax avoidance and corporate incompetence which centres around anomalies in the way scientolgy is run in the UK under a mysterious offshore entity based in South Australia.

..and so on...
    [Mention Xenophon involvment + his public benefit test stuff + tax authorities in Australia and the UK informed and will be investigating etc etc]

also...
    Ecclesiastical head of the church of scientology, David Miscavige, was not available for comment, despite calls various to offices as well as residences, including his large house in Hollywood, Los Angeles and his secure mansion at scientology's desert oasis in Gilman Hot Springs, Riverside, California.
  12. Goosh Goosh Member

holy fuck

gentlemen, i think we have just found the silver bullet to their tax exempt statuses
  13. Touchstone Member

I fear that if I were to express my emotions right now it would sound as though I were quoting stereotypical pr0n monologue. Let's just say I'm trying not to hyperventilate *too* much.
  14. avbb Member

Gentlemen, prepare yourself..... massive crash expected in 3...2...1...

Hey OSA, better tell the few scifags left to lean forward, tuck their head between their knees and kiss their ass good-bye. Those still in will take the blame. It too late baby!
  15. BigBeard Member

Not a press release, but sent a 'heads up' to Joe & Tom at the SPTimes with the URL to the "Today, Tonight" show.

BigBeard
  16. Sponge Member

One important, simple, and easily citable point to get across is.......

1) Cult tells UK Tax authorties in their UK corporate filings: "The Church is a South Australian Charity, and is established in England for charitable purposes only. The trustees consider that corporation tax should not therefore be applicable"

2) The cult contradicts the above with their official statement to the Today Tonight program:
    Church of Scientology Religious Education College Inc is an incorporated non-profit association. Whilst it does have charitable purposes as laid out in its Rules of Association, it is not a registered charity in South Australia or with the Australia Taxation Office. Any claims to the contrary are incorrect ..... the Church of Scientology Religious Education College is subject to the UK laws with no special concessions by reasons of its having been registered in South Australia

Both 1) and 2) can't be true yet both statements are made officially by the cult, in writing.

This is fraud and they admitted it.
  17. Triumph Member

.a a private residence.?..oh really..

"not the headquarters, but is merely to receive mail"? this is how Vicki Dunstan explains it away?...

Scientology 'offended' by tax evasion accusation | Adelaide Now
  18. Re: Press Release: Australian media exposes worldwide tax fraud by Church of Scientol

Can we release a press release about something the press has already covered?

Aren't harpoons more suited to this task?
  19. Anonymous Member

Where can I find those dox pls?
  20. Sponge Member

I'm glad you asked, sir/madam.
    They are in the OP of the main thread on the Today Tonight programme....
    http://forums.whyweprotest.net/15-media/today-tonight-tuesday-june-22-2010-a-68310/

Specifically, for the two contradictory cult statements in that post of mine which you quoted....

(1)
    COSRECI UK Corporate filings download (3.5Mb zip file)
    Here is a pic of the directory contents....
    50766414.jpg
    The original official source of those dox was from UK Companies House:
    Companies House (you have to pay to use their webcheck service).

The relevant section in the annual filings (I happened to pick the 2008 one) is under "STATUS" and "ACCOUNTING POLICIES/Taxation". Here's a plaintext copy of those bits.

(2)
    Statement from Church of Scientology (re: Today-Tonight programme on "Scientology Scam") - received Tuesday, June22, 2010 at 5:30pm (PDF file)
  21. Goosh Goosh Member

what surprises me about this is that the cult thought everybody was too stupid to verify their claims

it's this arrogance and chronic underestimation of the wog world that allows them to make footbullets like this

it's like we don't even have to try anymore
  22. EyeOnSci Member

I think yes, we can write a PR if we are adding more information to the topic already introduced. The additional info will allow subsequent media articles to expand on the topic, while they disseminate-heh,heh, ohai osa- to the ever growing audience.
  23. Anonymous Member

24. JohnnyRUClear Member

The enlarged texts seem to be contradictory to one another within not only the same document, but the same paragraph. Am I missing some detail which makes them reconcilable? Is "Church of Scientology Religious Education College Inc" distinct from "Church of Scientology Religious Education College"?
  25. Anonymous Member

is there a digg for this yet?
  26. Anonymous Member

Forward the original article and link to the TV report everywhere with just a one paragraph summary to get news editors to read/watch it.
  27. Sponge Member

No, they are just meaning the corporation being registered (as a corporation in SA), in the second part of that statement.

However, they have used weasel words in their responses to the programme to the affect that they assert that one is suppopsed to be allowed to set up a non-profit corporation with an intention to have charitable purposes without being a registered charity. Basically they seem to be going for the "its all just some kind of misunderstanding" line but the contradictions couldn't be clearer.
  28. Anonymous Member

It is an incorporated association registered in South Australia. It is not a registered charity and it has not been granted charitable status by the Australian Tax Office. However, the CoS in the UK has told authorities that it does not need to pay tax because it is part of a "South Australian charity"
  29. JohnnyRUClear Member

Well there ya go.

...right??
  30. Anonymous Member

faggots01resizedresized.jpg
  31. Re: Press Release: Australian media exposes worldwide tax fraud by Church of Scientol

Dangerous cult steals millions from the British Government.

^Thats a headline for the Woman's Day
  32. Anonymous Member

ling?
  33. Re: Press Release: Australian media exposes worldwide tax fraud by Church of Scientol

/making popcorn...and /r/ing someone post a pic of that old woman saying 'that makes me moist'...I'm a guy but fuck it...lol
  34. Goosh Goosh Member

holy-shit-awesome-2.jpg

will this work?
  35. Anonymous Member

Poons fired.
  36. Re: Press Release: Australian media exposes worldwide tax fraud by Church of Scientol

That'll work...thanks...;)
  37. Bird Member

thanks for those documents Sponge. I see more clearly now. I'll make sure they reach the interested european players.
  38. Anonymous Member

bump

are you faggots actually going to work on this?
  39. Anonymous Member

No one's picking this story up.
  40. Random guy Member

I think the issue may be a bit complicated for the uniniated reader.